Firewood and access reports NE Vicco

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, May 17, 2018 at 8:05 AM.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Moondog has reported in that P.Valley Hut has no firewood.....Team Bears hope to remedy the situation......it would appear many squirrels have been to busy talking without taking action in storing some acorns for the coming cold months!!

But let's skip the geopolitics and concentrate activities .

Also Chokenchicken has reported a large tree blocking access to Granite Flat Spur Track near the seasons gate.

Bears have recently stocked firewood in Blairs and at Mt Wills Huts.
    Anybody else that needs attention drawn to fallen debri,landslips etc feel free to share your knowledge to the benefit of others.
    Also Toms Hut got much attention ...it's weather tight and stocked with dry firewood....

The recent cold snap obviously brought down many trees.
    QBW is coming up soon then expect barriers locked into many areas.....

Mr T reported that rd from Mt Margaret to Keppels Hut was open but the high winds of the weekend could have changed the status.??

Anybody got reliable reports on Mt Ck Rd /Trappers Gap into Camp Ck Saddle or Holloway etc....those routes would appear to be of most interest to the forum .

Forum members can refrain from quoting Hut codes and banging on about backcountry ethics in this thread from now on.Just put in some detail to help others of any relevant observations that may hinder other Park users....

We also noted that Vic Rds had some issues on the BHP Rd prior to Falls Ck with minor landslips.

We would appreciate it if the moderator deleted any posts from buffoons trying to exercise their giant egos.by posting in this site...yes we totally support such intervention.

2. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Remember no numb nuts to coin a Glen Wills expression....do some work!
    Them fires don't go without de firewood......

3. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Ski Pass - Silver

I am going up to Keppel's hut this weekend to do a food drop and scope out the access to the Lake Mtn. ski trails from the hut. I suspect there will be quite a bit of timber down across the track. I may have to clear the road to get access to the hut. Yes I know about tension and compression in logs that are lying suspended across a declivity on a bench cut 4 x 4 track.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  4. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Is that duplicity or declivity....
    no apologies....you are correct...Team Bears are getting confused with another topic!
    Bears will see some declivity tonight on their trip to Kittens!

5. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

So you reckon I should take up the block splitter then Steve?
    Headed up again on Wednesday to set-up some stuff etc before the next snowfall and the road closure for the season.
    Not having the ute and therefore not being able to tow my trailer has proven to be a right royal PITA

6. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Ski Pass - Silver

Alas I may have left my run too late for a Pretty valley supply drop for the 2018 White Season. I will have to carry all my food up Road 24 to near Moondog's camp site in August. I will be sure to make a supply drop for the 2019 ski season in April 2019.

On another front The access to Keppel's hut in the Lake Mountain area from Upper Lady Talbot drive onwards is 4 WD only now and even that is sketchy.

The carriageway is full of deep slippery muddy ruts, pools of brown water of unknown depths, shattered tree trunks of considerable size and the surface is being churned up this weekend by a veritable convoy of monster tonka toys.
    These 4 WD enthusiasts are having their last hoorah en masse for high country access by way of off road vehicles before the gates are locked next month. Yanks' Folly track is already locked and gated.
    The foot track from Keppel's hut to The Boundary hut ruins ski trail has some huge logs down across it which require squirming and wriggling to get through them. Some other timber is at least 50 cm.s in diameter if not much larger but it can be scrambled over.
    You would need two people with some proper training armed with 24 inch bar chain saws and giant crow bars to get anywhere with those obstacles. Some of them are suspended and perched on a slope.
    There are safety issues at play should the authorities find the time , money and human resources to cut and clear this path. It was freshly cut two years ago or so and has grown back a lot.
    The foot track is slippery and wet but I have experienced worse in terms of timber down and blocking easy access on foot tracks in the Vic. Alps.
    We the people who enjoy this area need to start nagging DELWP and PV to clear the huge logs and get in there with a brush cutter and clear the heath that is swallowing up that track.
    It was cold and damp up there but very peaceful as always, once you walk up the track away from the road and hut.

#6 Mister Tee on snow shoes, May 19, 2018 at 7:01 PM
    Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  7. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Ski Pass - Silver

The firewood supply at Keppel's hut is OK. The influx of 4 WD people between now and June 13th ( gate closure date) may change this.
    PV in Mansfield say the road to the Bluff Hut is open until June13th but take care and possibly walk the last 2 kms if you don't have low range gears &/ or a locking differential.
    If you are doing a food drop up at The Bluff hut in readiness for BC XC skiing the Bluff summit area or the more sheltered route to Lovick's hut then keep this matter in mind , namely of being able to get in and out in your vehicle.
    Should I head up there before the gates are closed then I will go back down to Sheep yard flat the same day.
    T.