1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Firewood and access reports NE Vicco

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, May 17, 2018.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

He will pull trees off the road....he will deploy snig chains and carry gear in his ute.....goodness TeamBears will have a worthy rival!
    We need a ladder for gaining access to the top banks to despatch fallen trees.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  2. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just stay well clear of Jeep Grand Cherokees - nice (lovely to sit in) cars that are so unreliable and misery prone, having had a close friend suffer for several long, long years! :(:confused::eek::mad::cry:

3. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears got stuck into another trail blocker on Sunday...sorry about pic quality...we thought it was going to rain so only took out our little phone to take happy snaps!

neilmny and Fozzie Bear like this.
  4. Ubiquitous Steve

Apologies for film quality ....we did exoect rain and were very pleased that it stayed fine for this work.We think that Mt Bikes could be ridden pretty easily between Lake Mt and The Keppels Hut 4x4 track....then Lady Talbot Drive to Mt Margaret Gap ....then about 11kms down hill towards Bitumen and then on to Buxton and the Igloo for refreshments!We will get one last look at the previously (recent works )from Upper Taggerty Gap back the 5kms to Lake Mt soon.We might go for chainsaw walks on Saturday .....mopping up any new stuff as best Team Bears can.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Bogong like this.
  5. Ubiquitous Steve

Well I hope you get to lead some trips up here....it is splendid country .....many creeks..lots of firewood as you can see....and pretty easy terrain with some reasonable views....enjoy..

6. Ubiquitous Steve

Better pics of the work last weekend and Team Bears delt with a new admission (mostly)but we need to return with crow bar at a later date to remove debri from roadway !Much slashing has been undertaken by DSE on the Mt Margaret Rd up to the MMGap.

7. Ubiquitous Steve

Upper Taggerty Rd now rechecked from Keppels 4x4 Track out to concrete bridge which is situated about three kilometers from Lake Mt Main Road .That three kilometers was completely clear about two months ago before Lake Mt decided to lock its gates!More follow up work may continue next summer!

8. lightfoot

lightfoot Hard Yards

Spoke to a fella who walked NW spur up feathertop to MUMC and said it has been cleared by Parks. I walked bungalow and they have also cleared that.
    Not sure on the stoney tops/nth razor yet, I walked that 3 months ago and plenty of stuff down on the walking track but the road was cleared for fire access well past the gate that closes for winter. The walking track approach if not cleared would been a pain in the ass on skiis or walking with them strapped to your pack. I'll see if I can cut some stuff out next week if it hasn't been done.

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Thanks for the update. I walked up the NW spur and down the Bungalow spur in April 2019 as training for Hannel's spur. The NW spur was quite overgrown. However the Bungalow spur had been properly slashed back seemingly the week before I walked down it in April 2019.
    The Team Leader may head up there and cut some wood for Fed. hut. We shall see what he does now that we are allowed out to play.

10. lightfoot

lightfoot Hard Yards

Yeah i walked it a few times and did some clearing from the bottom in may last year but it was pretty thick from snowline up. Good to hear it's been cleaned up as i think the Fed hut side may be a little busy this season so alternatives are always good.

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Check out Champion spur.The fire trail stops about 2-3 kms below the summit ridge of The Razorback. I walked down it in late 2019.There is NO TRACK :-0 until you reach the fire trail which was recut by a bulldozer about 12 -18 months ago. I did a trip report for it on this website.

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Got some wood into Keppels Hut...wood shelter empty....many folks having bbq.Overnight folk 4.

2 groups of two.Walked up to steep part of track and a bit more....only a few miniature fallen branches to clear.French girl and her boyfriend went up Keppels Hut Track towards the top on a day trip....their first time in area.Other two mt bikes had ridden 70kms from Warburton and beyond.Igloo for hamburger and coffee with “two “sugars!

13. Ubiquitous Steve

Nice and warm in the igloo!o_OBloody foggy out there ...nearly turned into Igloo before the driveway!:whistle:

14. lightfoot

lightfoot Hard Yards

I just read your TR and although I love a challenge, i save it for the top when I'm skiing. I don't think I would appreciate champion with skiis strapped on my back.

Top effort, my quads are hurting just reading it.

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

You cannot ski down Champion spur from the Razorback. It is a trackless scrub bash through fallen trees. It is good to know this route as a general orientation of the region and walk it in summer. The Fire trail starts at about 1400 M. and drops straight down to the Ovens river, no relief or switchbacks!.
    It could be skiable for a couple of kms :-0 but I would rather ski the Bogong High Plains ,a far saner and more enjoyable plan , full stop.

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears got a chance to partly restock wood shelter at Keppels Hut before barrier shutdown.Track up is a slippery mess...many folk utilising this area.....and crazies still coming in from the north on road bikes up Mc Millans Track.....which is best off being closed till a bulldozer sorts it out....it’s a four wheel drive wrecker but no signage to indicate that’s it is pretty serious stuff for mega clearance vehicles with lockers and winches!So that’s Team Bears final update on this area as barriers locked shortly .Mt Margaret Road in very good condition and note it’s been slashed both sides all the way up the 11kms to the Mt.MGap.Its been very cold up there over night this last week.....frosty corners for the entire day.So the ground is very cold.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Bogong like this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

McFadyen's track is serious stuff. Just walk a few hundred metres of it past Keppel's hut and you will see what should be a graveyard of ruined 4 WD trucks. Somehow such vehicles have escaped such a fate.

18. Ubiquitous Steve

Axe or little hatchet wood be a good inclusion if possible for breaking up some wood....Team Bears too busy to do this.

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Yes..sorry I can’t spell correctly.It should be closed off most probably .I tell folk not to go that way as they will be very sorry!You cannot take firefighting vehicles in there.....you will get stuck!

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

That section of the track sits at 1300 M. and could be skiable in the right circumstances. The winter gate is about 6 km north of Keppel's hut on McFadyen's track. Next Green season I will come in from Taggerty and drive up to the gate and walk in that way just compare access routes for the most popular hut in the Yarra Ranges area: Keppel's hut.

21. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh it’s popular.....seriously DSE need to rework that road in there over next summer.Perhaps they also need to cull some dangerous trees around the Carpark....there are a couple of stags that should get taken out before they take humans and cars out...

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

DEWLP also need to reopen Lady Talbot Drive from both ends too. It has been closed since at least December from the Marysville end. It used to be promoted as a family friendly scenic drive from Marysville to Buxton with short walks and picnic spot options en route. It is now closed and there is a 4WD only sign at the locked gate near the Upper Taggerty Track junction.
    Maybe we should write to DEWLP about the access road and the dead trees that are swaying in the breeze that threaten to cause harm to life and vehicles near the hut?.

23. Ubiquitous Steve

Boundary Management Trail has been chainsawed from end to end.
    Final effort was made yesterday by Team Bears in adverse snowy conditions.Much debri on ground but it is quite feasible to park at Blue Range Road and to use this trail to access Keppels Hut Track and thus Keppels Hut.Only a couple of larger trees to duck under....many fallen poles have been cut...but it’s quite possible to head through with snow shoes carrying a pack .This recent snow fall will bring operations to a close.When summer returns more work will be possible....some sections are flat and free of all debri...others are a little tighter....but it’s no longer an obstacle course ...a few short downhill sections need to be taken with precaution if on skis as debri around sides of track presents a hazard.

We suggest ....walk those moderate steep short sections....ski the rest watching for debri.

All up around seven days of work was put in over the last two months.