1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Firewood and access reports NE Vicco

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, May 17, 2018.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Bears say they would certainly have a cup of tea with Bertie should they cross paths.The kids in Lego Land may have more ability than some of the folk promoting the FHAW.:whistle:

Team Bears did like the uncluttered walk along Bungelow Spur ...but.we were most surprised that such a well used trail doesnot have a few more information boards describing the plants and creatures surrounding different areas....like Picture Point ,Tobias Gap.Wombat Gap.One need not go overboard with signs etc etc.but it’s an area that I thought Parks Vic would be wanting to provide information to visitors hiking up the trail.Its a brilliant walk through different forest types with many fascinating plants...We really like hanging around there and staying awhile in different spots even before the snowline!

Bogong and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  2. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears back from Bungelow Spur....:emoji_fireworks:.all debri cut from Track upto Ruin now ...we finished at 4.30pm and got back down using torch from Picture point down...arrived back in Carpark around 7pm.o_O

We headed off around noon with intention of finishing the last km in snow as it winds Sth of ridge upto Ruin... beautiful mild still day...

Many vehicles in Carpark when we arrived.Saw a few folk comming and going on our travels .

Track well packed down with all the recent travellers..snow shoes a big advantage after little creek about one kilometre from Ruin.
    We were working in the major debri zone today ...but it’s all good now.:thumbs::emoji_checkered_flag::emoji_checkered_flag::emoji_checkered_flag::emoji_checkered_flag:

Cruising back down Hume listening to Eagles vsCollingwood clash !

3. Ubiquitous Steve

There are access restrictions on Feathertop Access come October....
    A deer cull.....Team Bears meant to take photo of sign but slipped our mind as we exited in the dark...
    But there was a sign near Carpark advising of closurers sometime in October?

If anybody has exact dates/details please post!

4. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

it's on the nat parks website - deer culling - I'll try and find the link

5. Ubiquitous Steve

Not sure if that means Bungelow Closed or what ...during that period!

6. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Venison Pie for dinner! :thumbs:

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/alpine-national-park/plans-and-projects/deer-control-program

As part of its suite of conservation management programs, Parks Victoria will be trialling aerial shooting of deer in the Alpine National Park for the first time in Victoria during October 2018.

Parks Victoria regularly undertakes dedicated conservation programs designed to contribute to habitat restoration across all its parks. These programs include activities such as monitoring grazer and plant populations, revegetation, spraying, controlled burning, and animal control programs. They are crucial to restoring habitat and improving overall landscape health.

As part of this overall approach, Parks Victoria is currently undertaking a 3-year program to trial different deer control techniques in the Alpine National Park. The program will investigate the most efficient and cost-effective methods of managing deer impacts on the alpine landscape.

The trial will occur over a 3-4 day period on weekdays between 8 October and 26 October 2018, avoiding key visitation periods. The exact dates are weather dependent.

The program will be targeting Sambar, Red and Fallow deer in the following locations:

• Alpine National Park – Mt Pinnibar area
    • Alpine National Park – Mt Feathertop area
    These areas will be closed to visitors for the 3-4 days that shooting occurs to ensure the safe implementation of the deer aerial shooting operations.

Ubiquitous Steve and Bogong like this.
  7. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

8. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

It appears so. It also appears Mt Buffalo will be affected too.

9. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

With a bit of luck all those NSW brumbies will be on the Victorian side of the border and also targeted. I just dislike seeing all that protein wasted

10. Ubiquitous Steve

Many thanks for above information....Team Bears will stay well clear of Parks Heli Operation.We will run a few other Team Bear Projects in a safe locality!

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Team did final trip up Bungelow....over 20people camped outside Federation....lots of good quality snow up top...not much addition.
    Snow looks clean..texture? Team Bears will leave that to the Alpine skiers and boarders!
    Track an easy walk upto just below the Ruin in boots.Above Ruin suggest snow shoes or skis.
    We did a final trim up on way out of sharp objects close to path etc.
    Track is clear from Carpark to Federation Hut.
    A good supply of firewood exists at Federation Hut.

Bungelow Spur seems to be the most used track in the state ...last three weekends there have been lots of folk getting up there.
    Water tank running when tap is warmed by temp or artificial heat applied to tap.
    Last kilometre up from Ruin is universally seen as hard work by heavily laden parties.But Team Bears did it up and diwn with minimal post holing in boots!

#111 Ubiquitous Steve, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

VERMIN FAWLTY!!!!!

13. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears on the prowl...day looks the goods fir some work ....

Little bears a bit pissed off that Collingwood won....but are hoping Melb gives it to the west Coast Eagles.

Let’s hope our day goes better than that of Richmond!

14. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Steve, I try not to say "that word" as it causes too much offence to so many people.

I generally phrase things so I don't have to allude to it at all, but if I'm forced to, I say "the suburb between Abbotsford and Fitzroy".

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Are you going up the Staircase? or perhaps up the Eskdale spur? What is The Hollow way up to Granite flat spur looking like these days?

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Was too busy to hear WA final ...just as well!
    Staircase has been cleared to Bivouc Hut...only one person camped there when I came back down with head torch.Team Bears only left one big leaning tree....ample wood in hut cut small enough for wood stove...
    Lovely trip down Staurcase in dark.mild and still ..track dry as!

Only patchy snow around Bivouc...but none on track getting up there..
    Lots of folk camped at Mt Ck Picnic Ground on way through.
    Only one other vehicle near Management Gate though.
    A busy day for little bears....good thing we didnot listen to football!:whistle:

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  17. Ubiquitous Steve

A little campsite at the base of Staircase near the creek has a moderate sized fallen tree blocking access.Team Bears have pencilled it in for removal.

After the management gate is open it’s a nice place to camp and or park right at the bottom of the Staircase Track.Looks like about an hours work though!:whistle:

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Coming up from the Omeo to Mitta Mitta road , what is the 4x 4 track like in summer driving up to Young 's Top MacNamara's hut?. I am looking at scouting out that terrain this summer along with the footpad past MacNamara's hut onto Young's hut as well as Paling Spur etc.

19. Ubiquitous Steve

From Rebuilt Mc Namaras Hut it is a nice trip along to Young’s following foot pads.Good to do in summer so you get used to topography..if skiing in winter you need the knowledge.
    Vehicle Track to McNamaras(Dinner Plain) Mc Coys is pretty interesting as it snakes out of valley through paddocks upto ridgeline.
    All RAV 4 able....Paling Spur is probably a bit overgrown....easy to find start at river junction in Cobungra but more difficult from grassy plain above ....I would come up it first...then have a good look around to identify trees etc to reidentify it comming the other way.
    Team Bears have been in Brandy Ck FT. and along creek track leading to Paling Spur and onto Dibbins Hut.

The foot track/horse track to Dibbins skips over a ridge line to further complicate things...so you need a summer recce.

You need summer recces to use these tracks in winter.
    When accessing Young’s in winter stay up on ridgeline till Saddle to the west of Young’s then drop straight down gulley.The Saddle is clearly identified once you have prior knowledge.The snowpole line into Young’s does not come down to this Saddle it runs off side of ridgeline about half kilometre to the north.

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am going to hike the whole area in the early new year. I may possibly take the RAV 4 all the way up to Macnamara's hut and then walk in an anti clockwise loop up to Youngs hut , up onto the BHP ,down the AAWT to Dibbin's hut , up Swindler's spur and veer off at Derrick's hut towards Spargo's hut. From there one can descend The Golden Mile Spur walking track to the foot bridge and follow the Cobungra ditch foot track towards Brandy Ck. FT. After that one can descend to the Cobungra River and ascend Paling Spur and head back towards MacNamara's hut. My guess is that such a route would take 4 days and 5 nights.

21. Ubiquitous Steve

Another possibility is to park at Dinner Plain Aerodrome ....there is a 4x4track around the perimeter of the airport....it goes into the Cobungra...then a foot track/horse trail takes off on the other side and up to the Jeep track that comes into MacNamaras Hut from the east....

Your planned route is a good one though....it’s nice country in there with plenty of good drinking water!

22. Ubiquitous Steve

Another good way to access Young’s is come around Aquaduct trail to little dam...then up onto ridgeline sth of creek following treeless flattish topography ..aiming for snowpole Line comming into Young’s just before it drops into snowgums.....one could ride mt.bike to dam.....pack in gear for winter stash at Young’s if required .:thumbs:

23. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I waited to reply until someone with more up to date knowledge responded (no surprise that it was Steve), but about 10 to 12~ish years ago, I spent some time hiking in that area as I was trying to visit all the lesser known places on or near The Bogong High Plains.

My observations:
    • It was hard to find the track heading ESE from Youngs Hut.
    • The "track" was more of a footpad, it required keen observation to stay on it.
    • We found no indication of any track or footpad where Paling Spur intersects with the route. Lots of thorny scrub around there.
    • Once we were near MacNamarras Hut (the one on the northern Dinner Plain, not the ski town one), the 4WD track was very evident. There was a solid looking brumby trap plus tyre marks right to the end of it.
    • The hut was weatherproof, but wasn't the sort of place you would choose to sleep in.
    • Water in the swamp-thingy near the hut looked and smelled a bit dodgy but following the 4WD track to the end of the swamp, the water was pretty good at the outlet. (I think we were there at Easter, water might be better at another time of year.)
    • A good route from there is to follow the road to Mt Battery, (lovely views from the summit 5 minutes from the road) and then down to the Cobungra River. We ignored the no access sign on a gate across the road, skirted around the farm buildings and walked up to the farm access road to the Great Alpine Road where it does that long S-bend.
    We walked all the way from Westons Hut past Pole 333, Youngs Hut and camped at the aforementioned swamp outlet in a day, so despite my memory that it was a bit gruelling in places, the conditions must have allowed us to move reasonably fast.

24. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears have done a bit more on the Staircase....we cleared above Bivouc Hut early this morning....almost to the tree line(perhaps not that far from the snow pole line..
    So Staircase is very good now.Much of the track is free of snow....just a little hanging around in places on way up above Bivouc Hut.....lots of people comming up Staircase today....

Mt Beauty Bakery is a bit busy!

Team Bears have seen no rain while they overnighted at Bivouc Hut.

Team Bears say there is a reasonable supply of firewood at Bivouc Hut.:thumbs:

25. CaptainC

CaptainC Hard Yards

Yes the track between McNamaras and Youngs Hut is pretty vague in part.Lots of parts I guess, but I've done it a few times now so I've got pretty used to it. I'm not sure if the brumby trap is still there. McNamaras Dinner Plain hut was rebuilt by VHCHA about a year ago I think. Before that it was like you said, quite scenic but I wouldn't have camped in it. Paling Spur is much less obvious from the top than from the Cobungra. Last time I did it we walked up it the first day then back down on the third day. Having recent memories really helped. Once it starts going down hill you will notice that the track goes virtually in a straight line. I wonder if it was a bulldozer track put in while firefighting some time? I know that it's not in the Management Plan so Parks Vic don't want to maintain it. I once spoke to a ranger (who has now left Parks Vic) who told me that before the present High Plains road was built in the 1960's the route from Youngs to McNamaras was thh main route over the high plains,.

26. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hollow Way in very good shape - as of GF weekend. Camp Creek road also good - lots of regular traffic, so fallen trees likely to be cleared pretty quickly.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  27. Ubiquitous Steve

Looks like Team Bears will twaddle up to Mulhauser Camp ...and mop up any fallen debri around camp...then launch operations on walking track above and plan a clean up of Longspur in ensuing days.

We want a few things completed before the Melb Cup And Management Gate opening so we can get back into West Kiewa/ Stoneytops etc.

28. Ubiquitous Steve

Now everybody remember Heli Deer Cull Monday 8th October.
    So this weekend may be last permissible to go upto Feathertop for a ski....

So track closures will happen from Monday 8th regardless of whether operation with helicoters proceeds at that time....

Any doubts,confusion or questions please ring Parks Vic in Bright Office.
    Team Bears will be operating well away from any designated cull areas during this Parks Op.

29. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears checking out Stoneytops Lower And Upper Campsites today .Splendid warm sunny day in NE.

30. Ubiquitous Steve

Access good to Stoneytops Barrier..no work required it was all clear.Team Bears doing a bit of work in campsite though ..

31. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears need a shredder so they can make visual art like Banksy!
    Two tons of flat space occupying trunk was moved on ......flat space is limited diwn there so the previously cut and snigged trunk was demolished.

Plenty of firewood abounds...before the onset of dangerous fire weather we would encourage folk to have big camp fires to keep the fuel in the site down.

There was only a few poles on track in the half kilometre before the gate that need cutting right back when time is available.No hazards on track ...both sides of ring road are clear ....track surface is good...and very dry.A sedan with reasonable clearance could make it to the Barrier on any dry weekend ....as long as they take the northern ring road with the gentler gradient.

All picnic tables....one lower Stoneytops and three upper Stoneytops are A Ok.

#131 Ubiquitous Steve, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  32. Ubiquitous Steve

Just returned from Camp Mulhauser....bit of debri on the track from Snowy Log Rd up to the camp....but negotiable with some care.Checked walking track up to Long Spur....one moderate log at start has been removed....otherwise very good.

A bit of debri in Camp Mulhe has been chain sawed up...a few branches came down over winter within the camp.All tables A Ok.

When time permits...debri from 4x4 track will be delt with.
    Saw four 4x4’s exiting track on way up!

Walking track was brush cut last year...no further work required on it ....so more time can be used to clean up approach 4x4 track in comming weeks.
    Snowy Log Road from Omeo Highway (from Nth) is very good all the way up to Mulhauser Track.

33. Ubiquitous Steve

There were heaps of folk in Mitta Mitta and environs!
    We visited Big River Saddle on Saturday arvo and found Mitagundi had a base camp there.....it was too breezy to work around there anyway...Team Bears retreated back to Vic Rds Campsite Just Granite Flat side of Mitta Mitta....(we had done a wiper snipper around tables on way past).
    Yep ..more folk camping....on to Toms Hut....passing more folk just near turn off from gravel road ....but a night at Toms Hut to ourselves!

Cleaned leaves off roof and guttering.....cleaned old frypan and kettle... now they are useable again....Aluminium chairs at Toms are still there.
    Cleaned up some litter around Hut...measured window so a possible replacement can be sourced.
    Had a very nice stay down there waiting for thunder storms that never eventuated!

Then Sunday ...weather really settled and sunny..back up to Mulhauser for inspection....report appears above for that!

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Bogong like this.
  34. Ubiquitous Steve

Mittagundi folk say that Kangaroo Track has had extensive works performed on it..

Big River Rd into Big River Saddle is excellent....
    Rd. Conditions on the Big River Rd there after to Longspur 4x4track is unknown.

Minor slip at 4km mark of Snowy Log Rd as you enter from Nth is receiving some attention....but it looks like future works are planned with materials left around site ....there is no restriction on access at the moment......

Appears that a dozer has recently been along Snowy Log Rd.....we deduce that it has done a fast track clean up through to Big River Rd!!!

At Camp Mulhe and Big River Saddle Team Bears have a few wasp traps that we were trialing last summer...we intend to recharge these shortly with wasp luring bait.
    Some have caught quite a few of the critters already !

35. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears been sourcing a few item from sunbury tip shop...
    When we return to Toms Hut we will have a simple grate for fire place so something to cook on elevated on the existing horse shoes in brick fire place....a frypan and large sauspan,a small coffee table (approx two foot x two foot )and we a still working to sort out window replacement...so the window gets full amount of sunlight through but all weather proof!Also we are looking for good exterior paint to get the two tone hut into a simple one colour scheme!
    At least we got good paint on those weatherboards prior to winter regardless of the two tone result.

Again minimal works to preserve this gem in its scenic location.

The gutter replacement/couple of holed corrugated sheets in the verandah have been worthwhile in keeping the rain water from being a nuisance .Chimney is more of an art work but never the less it works ok.
    We will jcontinue to remove any rubbish discarded around hut and to keep fuel load down around the hut area.We keep finding stubbies and junk around the area unfortunately .

An existing grazing licence exists around this area....so please leave cattle alone and respect the right of the grazier to use the hut whenever he turns up.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Bogong like this.
  36. Ubiquitous Steve

Some track work done on Mulhauser 4x4 Track and on 4x4 track from Big River Rd to Start of Long Spur Foot Track.Both tracks are quite good now .Somebody has done some works with major obstacles on Longspur Approach ....Team Bears just tidying up a bit....All of Snowy Log Rd from Omeo Highway to Big River Rd has been cleared by dozer.Big River is clear from Omeo Highway to Longspur turn off too.
    Having breakfast at Mulhauser Top Camp(East of Mt M.at end of 4x4 track)....we can clearly see Snowy Mts and snow drifts from here!!Sunny settled day....ice on windscreen at Big River Saddle this morning.

We met Gordon and mate dropping off 3 bushwalkers heading to Cleve Cole a few mins ago.
    Y

37. Ubiquitous Steve

We had a Flexi panel from tip...but not our drills etc...but we did a temporary fix on window at Toms Hut.Still to be fully installed with correct screws etc...but it’s nice to see out from the previously blocked window.We will be back to fix it soon.Its got a slight dark tint to it..other window is still there to .......

38. Ubiquitous Steve

Now new window panel is not fully installed yet....because we had no drills or hammer or any thing much prepared ....note new coffee table and if you look hard you can see the metal grate above fire.Nice to see outside and more light streaming into Hut is good!But we will be back soon with tools to do a proper job on this ....

39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Hi.
    My walking trip in the Indian Himalaya was cut short by illness. I am now doing battle with the travel insurance firm.

#139 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  40. Ubiquitous Steve

Well water quality is better in and around Viccos NE.....you better get well and start checking out more tracks!

And a further note....sorry about ramble....Gorden from Glen Valley (behind Mt Wills)
    Who has guest lodge there...has DSE dozer staff staying there ...so he is a good contact to find out precisely what’s been cleared and what’s proposed for clearing about there!

41. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Bummer Mr. Tee hope you get it sorted.

42. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am getting fit, swimming and cycling , straight back into it on day 2 or 3 of being back in Ozstriya. I am still jetlagged and still bogged down with a head cold that I picked up in Sri Lanka. My guts are almost working on local time. I will be bushwalking up in the Buller -Howitt-Lake Cobbler area next month and plan to be doing many more bushwalking trips in the high country checking out new routes this green season.

skifree, Ubiquitous Steve and Bogong like this.
  43. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears went on shopping trip to Bunnings...they scored 10litres of terracotta gloss weathershield dulux for $50 on special ....well it was a real special !A few more euro wasp thingees to recharge our traps too.

Thus the two tone Toms Hut will shortly undergo final painting!
    Terracotta Gloss...so a low environmental visual value!

The weathershield normally sells for over $200 so it’s a win...for the Bears!

44. Mister Tee on XC Skis

In pointing out the existence of Tom's hut to you I think I have started something that only you can finish. I will walk from Mt. Wills to CC Hut this summer and I might see you on Long Spur.There are some other semi derelict huts in the Mt. Bogong area. If you get the ROOFTOPS Bright to Dartmouth Map it has pictures of some of them and where others are located.

45. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears have about as many projects as we can manage kindly.....but there is an idea for others that feel like contributing something......

Many trails are overgrown too...

Team Bears have a little work to complete at Toms Hut but no structural alterations as such.....
    Then we must check on Long Spur walking trail from Mt Wills to Big River Saddle....and Mt Mulhauser to Bossiea Hill ....a chainsaw trip to deal with fallen timber only.

Longspur desperately needs brush cutting in places but Team Bears will not be doing any of that between Mt Mulhauser and Bossiea Hill......

46. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears have been to Toms Hut....it is now the one colour Terracotta Gloss....we got about 8 litres of paint on the structure.We finished window with correct screws(hex with neoprene washers)and sealed it with silicon....we had to work a little on the frame too ...and we secured original glass window back in place too.Kinda finished everything by 3am....we raked around hut...disposed of leaf litter and cleaned leaves of roof and front gutter too.This report comes from on high.....Mulhauser Top Campsite east of Mt M.

47. Ubiquitous Steve

48. Ubiquitous Steve

49. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Tom's hut was almost derelict when I first went there in Jan. 2018. The Team Leader and The Bears have transformed it!

#149 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Bogong likes this.
  50. Ubiquitous Steve

It’s a good little hut.....beautiful area....fortunately nobody was there on Saturday when the painting was done.The debri (litter)around hut has been removed and on this trip Team Bears raked up leave litter 360 deg around hut and burnt it!.Door is still a bit unco! But nice place to be in thunderstorm or heavy rain....track in is very dry at moment....just a few pot holes to dodge and approach slowly.

Sunday ...today ..saw the bears sweep over Longspur till last picnic table at approx halfway point.We chainsawed all debri off track in from Longspur 4x4 Track ;over Mt Mulhauser past Picnic Tables in micro saddle and onwards !A major obstacle was encounter just at the National Park Sign...it nearly got clobbered by a fallen tree...
    We drained a whole tank of juice tackling this fallen tree!