1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Firewood and access reports NE Vicco

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, May 17, 2018.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Mr T may have a better idea and Teckel in Narby would know a great deal.

When drivers get trapped behind fallen trees and cannot get out they would probably call SES or CFA or Cops etc. even DSE person on call over weekend.....

Main highway would be Vic Rds.....

Rd to Lake Mt gets tree falls frequently and is probably Vic Rds responsibility.

I would always carry a chainsaw anywhere up there except when you are off to. Marysville and then Lake Mt......

Mt Margaret Rd seems best as DSE are mindful of trees falling on to log trucks that may be using the roadway in summer....they sometimes cut out potentially dangerous trees from close to road edge.
    Mt Margaret roadway is wide of a very good standard so it’s easier to squeeze past debri or to attack fallen trees from a flat sound roadway that is wide.

I don’t know if or when the barrier on Lady Talbot Dve adjacent to Mt Margaret Gap is closed.Atm best way in to Keppels is via Buxton.Mt Margaret Rd....via Mt M Gap and along Lady Talbot to Turnoff to Keppels Hut on the left.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I would not depend on any of those organizations in the dark or by day in winter anywhere. Just carry the power tool/ tools in the boot and you will be sorted. The Team leader is right , just carry a chainsaw , crow bar , wedges, tomahawk, spare 2 stroke fuel and spare bar oil and you will be O.K. .
    The Marysville approach to Keppel's hut is closed in winter. Lady Talbot drive has a locked winter gate at both ends of the carriageway so that the Mt. Margaret Gap is the best way in on foot from the locked winter gate out there in white season.
    In spring i.e. September , the days are longer and the weather becomes finer and a long day hike to ski for nothing up near the Boundary hut ruins is totally possible , carrying skis , poles and ski boots on a day pack from the winter gate at Mt. M. Gap.
    Now that the track up to the ski runs from near Keppel's Hut is now skis strapped onto the pack friendly in snow season, Houston …. we have lift off.
    :)

Comparing Mt. St. G. with Mt. Margaret gap is not really a level comparison. Mt.St.G. is a well known fee free XC skiing and kiddies' snow ball throwing and toboggan location within Parks Vic.'s area of administration.
    I skied there last early September. Being in an AWD with off road tyres there was no issue with fitting chains i.e. not necessary .
    Micro spikes for my feet would have been good trying to get to the XC ski trail head with my planks and not slipping over on the frozen boiler plate car park surface.

3. Ubiquitous Steve

A good reason to call in at the igloo for coffee and food.....this is nice and warm....ganna be hard to move out!

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Where pray tell might The Igloo be located?.

5. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Love the bit of wire holding the door closed!

teckel likes this.
  6. Ubiquitous Steve

Just returned from Day trip to Keppels....all overhanging poles(some were moderate diameter)have been cut on top bank as they pose a hazard to driving in poor visibility on this track.

More poles came down after recent weather event.....somebody else had cut through them.
    I trimmed all bits protruding on to the track as they had just cut enough to get vehicles through.

Tree fall was again in the same places as previously!

It seems every time we get a substantial frontal system half a dozen assorted diameter trees come down!
    So parties should carry chainsaws !

Wood shelter was topped up a little but work on the 4x4 track meant less time was available for sourcing firewood .All firewood taken from cut up fallen trees over this track and transported in back of Ute and Bunnings Trolley.

Again Team Bears saw four people(2x2) using the Keppels Hut Foot Track!
    One group stayed at Keppels Hut O/N and the other were jogging around the loop on a day run.
    So this track is getting frequent use atm.

Access remains open and reasonable from the Mt. Margaret Gap End....Keppels Hut 4x4
    Is still negotiable in 2wd with mud snow tyres but it’s getting slippery after the recent rains.

7. Ian

Ian Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

Just got back from a Bogong resupply Saturday - Sunday.
    The Granite Flat track was dozed nicely all the way to the top but the sign on the gate says it will be closed from Thursday 16th May. Snow really started about half way up Eskdale and was melting quickly.

8. Ubiquitous Steve

Dropped in at Stihl Dealer in Buxton to get new chain cut....and to get spark plug and new plastic wedge.

Team Bears would highly recommend this guy....brilliant service and a real professional..

Now some sandwiches from Igloo and back up to Keppels to lay on some more firewood befire winter gets started.

A mild day at moment and the sun is out...still(Stihl) not much wind at all:whistle:

9. Ubiquitous Steve

This bulletin comes from Mt Margaret Gap.....

The little animals are all singing to the tune of the Echo 310 ES.

A fine day for working in the forest ....
    Now there is ample firewood fir those that come to Keppels after the gates are closed....at least you will be warm!
    Couple of loads previously and two were trucked in today from cut up logs over the track.

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Excellent work. The Team leader has excelled himself and the Bears are over achieving again :) .

BillyKidd likes this.
  11. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Best option for fallen trees in these parts is the SES. Whether you're on the highway or a smaller track. Vicroads take forever. SES are always prompt. But they probably wouldn't come for a remote 4WD track, unless someone was actually trapped. Most farmers travel with a chainsaw and deal with stuff as they come across it.

12. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Buxton

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  13. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears have thrown more resources at Keppels Hut 4x4 Track....now all logs cut up and banished ....well they are well off Road now....

Starter cord went on Echo 310.....But Big 064 Stihl was brought out and after fitting a new chain the Team carved through the rubbish rolling it with crow bar out of the roadway alltogether.
    Temperature is dropping very fast now.....too cold on hands to do much more today.

14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Some serious cutting was going on. Some of those logs could be sawn up into smaller logs and added to the Keppel's hut wood pile or transported to another hut for fire wood before the gates close next month.
    Bunnings can sell the Team Leader some leather rigging gloves for a nice price.Having seen the ski trail on Long Heath Trail on Lake Mtn. totally blocked in places by fallen timber , there might be a mysterious reduction of fallen timber on that track before the winter gates close ;-P .

15. Ubiquitous Steve

It was a sunny cool to mild day but after 4.30 the temperature plummeted....fog was observed in the river valley of Buxton.It gets too hard to motivate oneself as it gets cold ...well the 064 needs a good pull to start .....it gets harder with cold hands...Team Bears got all the stuff that we wanted too....virtually all the stuff that will make driving difficult should it snow before the seasons gate closure.

More debri will fall as winter gets going but at least it’s”clean”atm.

Team Bears have completed all work now.

As Mr.T says anybody with a Ute can easily add to the firewood supply at Keppels Hut by cutting some of this debri on edge of road and trucking it up the last kilometre or two.

Team Bears were in 2WD except when snigging logs down off the upper bank....so with good winter tyres it’s two wheel drivable atm. provided vehicle has reasonable clearance ;).....as it gets wetter 4WD will be required..

Seasons Gate closure comming in about four weeks time!

:p

16. Ubiquitous Steve

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The walking track up there from Keppel's hut to Lake Mtn. will be reinspected in mid Nov. 2019 by someone who likes to see that route kept well open all year round.

18. Ubiquitous Steve

Yes I like that.We don’t want to let it go again.....a bit of a chainsaw and brushcut will keep it up to a good standard .

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  19. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Out n about in the vic high country today

Nr 1 pooch thought he saw a lost sheep at one point

When the rain/snow eased a little, it was quite a good day for collecting firewood.

I imagine things are pretty brutal in the alpine right meow.

This was about 1200m, it’s warmed up about 2 or 3 degrees today so the snow was very wet at this elevation.

20. Ubiquitous Steve

Mt Margaret Rd open atm ...DSE has just been up to Mt Margaret Gap..Lady Talbot Dve has not been cleared and DSE are not planning to go along there to Keppels Hut 4x4Track.
    Still and lightly snowing now....snow on ground is wet and unconsolidated!Ankle deep!
    Rodeo in 2WD with new winter tyres on rear wheels.some photos perhaps ...

21. Ubiquitous Steve

Afternoon tea in Buxton!
    A real slack day for Team Bears....

22. Ubiquitous Steve

Note.....there is doubt that the road from Marysville to Lake Mt Turnoff is open atm??

Teckel says it was closed.So advice that travelers check out status of that highway.

Pretty cool down here at igloo with Hammy sitting by Woodstove!

23. Ubiquitous Steve

Correction .....Teckel says Lake Mt Rd has reopened!

24. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Early Days

Looks like you had a big day. I've been watching the status of the road to Lake Mountain and glad to see that it is open. The photos look great and there seems like there is substantial snow, even down to 1200m.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I think I can see XC ski tracks in these photos. Has the Team leader been back on the planks after a long break from them i.e. years?

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Definately not....I didnot even get my socks wet today.

Team Bears were sightseeing......yes a suburu type vehicle was parked at the MMGap and skiers came from there....looks like they were heading towards Keppels via LTDve and Keppels 4x4 Track.

I didnot want to push along on LTDve....firstly it would have been difficult secondly it damages track for skiers with no benefit to Team Bears as the last uphill section would have been a walk without skis

I informed Teckel of DSE activities and intentions.......she referenced a map of the area....DSE have done Rd clearing to the next track intersection approx half km from the Gap ....I believe you could take the track on the right on Snow Shoes or skis and come out near Keppels Hut....But I am told that apart from the locked gate numerous trees are diwn on this fire trail.This fire trail according to Teckels map sits at a higher altitude than LTDve.
    But we did have a fun day and the weather was better than the last few days in Melb.We didnot get our heads blown off.

We thanked the DSE crews....keeping that access open is very beneficial to many on this forum ....It was a crew from Marysville ....so the free access is being maintained by these guys.

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If the LM road is closed tomorrow then I have my chains, snow shovel , chain saw etc already packed so we can get up to Mt. M. Gap and ski out there . Magnificent.

28. Ubiquitous Steve

All snow on Mt Margaret Gap and Lady Talbot Dve gone...driveable to Keppels But very very slippery/muddy.
    Numerous trees down but DSE turned up at a good time and helped pull debri away from a large fallen tree that Team Bears were struggling with....064 Stihl did all the cutting and DSE used their snig chains to pull debri out of way.
    We had intended to ski to Keppels Hut from Mt M Gap but no snow!
    Some photos from the day....it was sunny and in the sun very pleasant and mild.Many thanks to DSE staff ! Becarefull when driving into the sun up there or you will get a nasty surprise

29. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

30. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout Addicted

How's the road into Camp Gap looking? We're heading up the Eskdale on Friday.

31. S-Club

S-Club First Runs

Been up the Mulhauser / Long Spur approaches to Bogong recently? Anyone know what state it is in?

32. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears grounded till rodeos engine is sorted ....

33. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I went up Mulhauser in late April. The road is the best I have seen it. However in view of how much snow has fallen recently a High Clearance 4 x 4 jalopy with wheel chains would be the sanest way to drive up that way.Take a chain saw.

#383 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  34. S-Club

S-Club First Runs

Absolutely and I usually do. More a question of whether I want to spend my time walking or cutting logs.