First back country trip in 5 years

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
It's fair to say I have been buzzing all week.

After a five year hiatus (kids / lack of ski partners) I enjoyed my first back country trip in 5 years on the weekend.

The trip started with a delayed start from Canberra putting us a couple of hours behind schedule but it did bring memories of yesteryear. Anyway we reached Munyang at 7:30 and started our hike into horse camp at 8pm. Luckily for us it was a great night for a ski and we reached the hut at 9pm, unfortunately for those in the hut we arrived as they were heading to bed but all was good.

Saturday was
An awesome ski into valentines; in the five years off I've worked on my tele at the resorts. Fair to say this has paid off and I pulled my first linked tele turns with a pack on! Not a massive hill but still fun.

The less said about Sundays ski to tin hut the better. The fog and snow rolled in so we figured we best leave the kerries and made our way to Mawsons. From here we
made our one big mistake, trying to avoid the valley near the valentine river we head out the back of Mawsons, mist and snow came in and visibility soon dropped to 10m max. It's fair to say we took to many right turns and ended up on the kerries.

Ugly to say the least. On a couple of points I thought I was still moving but was actually standing still! Visibility was pretty ordinary and we still had to ski off the kerries!

The weather gods smiled on us and visibility cleared as we hit the valley allowing us to sight tin hut.

I think since reading paddy pallin a book I've wanted to ski to Tin Hut. I've walked there on a couple of occasions but never skied there. So I was pretty happy to walk in the door and even happier 5 minutes later when I realised a new fire had been installed, gone was the old smoker now an amazing new pot belly.

Monday was all I hoped it would be! The day dawned clear and we had a great climb to the pass.

The ski down heaven! Enough said.

All in all I had a great time and it won't be five years between adventures again.

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
But could you find the toilet at tin? Or has it changed? Used to be the perennial game with compass and shovel.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Yeah it's moved as well, now located behind the hut. Actually 2 years ago when I walked there you could see the dunny from the kerries

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
good work zac150....
Tin Hut can be hard to find first time in fading light/snow etc..

the trip is better than just those turns ...glad you had good time...

good to know they got decent wood stove out there

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass