First Interschools experience

Discussion in 'Events & FIS' started by silva, Jul 6, 2017.

1. silva

silva Active Member

Ok, Mr 7s first year of Interschools is done and dusted. Mr 7s school decided to enter a team in Interschools for the first time this year and Mr 7 was very eager to go so despite any parental reservations based on "precious little darlings and even more precious parents" we entered and headed off to Perisher for our first trip to Aussie snow in 16 years.

Well the snow side of things was a bit poor - thin stripes of white stuff surrounded by rocks and grass but I must say Perisher really impressed in terms of the amount of terrain they managed to have open with basically no natural snow. Mr 7 headed off to his 3 day clinic to actually learn what to do with the funny gate things and Mum and Dad spent 3 days exploring on and off the mountain. The clinic program was a good combination of learning and drills, training and just good old fun. The instructors did a great job getting the balance between fun and actually training right. The mountain was crowded and lift lines long on the first weekend of the school holidays but no one really seemed to care - everyone was having a good time making the most of the early season conditions.

Come Tuesday and its racing time - bibs are collected, kids rounded up and off they go. Mr 7 competed in the Division 5 Snowboard GS and Boardercross categories which were both on the first day of competition. The day was the pits weather wise - cold, wet, low vis and I would normally say pretty miserable. The kids had a absolute ball and apart from the small percentage of parents and coaches who were madly waxing boards and trying to instruct kids who were not paying them any attention most of the adults around the place were sporting huge grins as well. The event was well run and went relatively smoothly considering the pretty atrocious conditions.

By the end of the day everyone seemed to wear a smile - or maybe that was just a grimace of relief to be indoors sipping hot chocolate while waiting for presentations. Medals were given out, clapping was done and congratulations offered. All in all well worth the effort.

So - Mr 7 managed to qualify for State Titles in both events (something we had not really considered as a possibility as he was racing kids 3 years older than him), so guess what - we get to do it all again in August and I am a little surprised to say I am looking forward to it. Met some great people and had a lot of fun.

So if you are thinking of jumping on the Interschools band wagon my advise - go for it.

2. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Well-Known Member

Genuinely great to hear about your experiences. Positive memories like this can stick with you (and the kids) for a very long time. I hope Mr7 carries those great memories into the August finals because if he really enjoys it, odds are he will get better at it as well! Nice story.

LMB, Chaeron and Ozgirl like this.
  3. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Great stuff Silva. All sports should be about the enjoyment and self improvement. If they are good enough they will......without their parents in the long run. It's all about the fun!!!

LMB and Chaeron like this.
  4. Ralph_Plow

Ralph_Plow Dedicated Member

We also had our first interschools experience skiing with two 7yos and a 6yo. Our family made up the whole team!

Our three had fun too, no snotty kid or parent experiences, everyone was pretty cool and calm and friendly. No state qualifying for us but our eldest boy placed in the top 20 out of 80+, we thought that was pretty good for a kid in twin tips!! No DQs either so the team we conjured up came 11 out of 15 or so.

Weather was typically challenging, apparently it always is for Interschools. Event seems very well run, not much waiting around given the division had 150 odd boys and girls to get through.

The older two have skier cross tomorrow.

LMB and person s like this.
  5. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

The kids had a absolute ball and apart from the small percentage of parents and coaches who were madly waxing boards and trying to instruct kids who were not paying....

So like a lot of sports there are a range of parents, with a range of motivations :) I often hear people refer (perhaps disdainfully ) to the mums and dads who prep race gear, and would to some extent wonder why in DIV 5 / 6 this would be done, but conversely if your child is half a chance at placing and trains 3 or 5 or whatever days every week, then he/she will definitely be competing against others who will have this sort of prep, so its sort of an obligation. Even if the net result is purely psychological.

The event was well run and went relatively smoothly considering the pretty atrocious conditions.

Yep, couldn't agree more

So - Mr 7 managed to qualify for State Titles in both events (something we had not really considered as a possibility as he was racing kids 3 years older than him), so guess what - we get to do it all again in August and I am a little surprised to say I am looking forward to it.

Well done and good luck in the state champs, like all sports, age isn't a great predictor or indicator of success in the pre pubescent years. There are so many other factors, in skiing, physics would dictate that weight has a great bearing on overcoming friction when sliding down a hill with some flatter sections on it. Some kids have just by virtue of their upbringing spent many more hours on snow than most.

Met some great people and had a lot of fun.

There are some great friends to be made, thats for sure.

So if you are thinking of jumping on the Interschools band wagon my advise - go for it.

Couldn't agree more...

6. silva

silva Active Member

Good luck to your kids today and well done on your families great results so far.

Ralph_Plow likes this.
  7. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

So back next year for more? ;)

8. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Glad your young'n had fun, because really that's what it's all about. We are about to do first year of Div 1, almost all over for us.

9. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Though the arrival of the "Interschools Code of Conduct" in my inbox makes me think there have been a few issues this week o_O

person s likes this.
  10. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

most likely a parent being an idiot
    some people really can't help themselves

11. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Good luck! But most importantly - have fun!
    Hopefully pre-emptive rather than a reaction.

chicski likes this.
  12. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Interschools for us are long gone. We have some great memories and hope you all have the same. There is some behaviour, usually from parents, that you would rather not see. But that is a minority who aspire beyond their children's ability.

The number of times it rains or there is a storm during interschools is amazing. So be prepared with waterproof gear. Not a lot of fun standing out there when you are cold and wet.

person s likes this.
  13. silva

silva Active Member

Thanks for all the positive comments - hopefully will see some of you in August at states

chicski likes this.
  14. Ralph_Plow

No. But not interschools fault.

15. Ralph_Plow

This would be for all those Thredbo parents next week ;)

chicski likes this.
  16. coolair

coolair Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

My first interschools experience was about five years ago, staying at a Perisher hotel with my family , a big group
    of interschools parents also staying there that let their kids run wild and did not give a stuff. Also some loudmouth woman
    talking Redlands stuff still pisses me off years later.

skichanger and person s like this.
  17. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

one in every crowd
    at a pre-season meeting one of the parents at person a's primary school launched into a loud spiel about doing work on skis while waiting for races, including changing DIN settings
    one of the other parents was a well-known ski shop proprietor - he handled her expertly, saved the rest of us from squirming into overload
    I still recall this 15 years later

18. Ralph_Plow

Really never saw any of that, but I guess it goes on. I don't imagine it is much worse in skiing than other sports though, soccer is bad sometimes.

19. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

ah yes
    I was a soccer coach for a brief period and enjoyed several evenings receiving helpful advice via phone from various dads who spent no time at all watching their kids play
    my favourite parent was a mother who arrived at the first game of the season and asked 'what time is the pickup?'

LMB likes this.
  20. Ralph_Plow

Indeed. I got sucked into being babysitter for my boys u7 team.....errrr, I mean coach.

21. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Hey @silva - so first trip in 16 years that must have meant no on snow time previously for your son? If that's the case what made him decide he wanted to participate?

I have always wanted my kids to have a go in "some" competitive winter based discipline but alas bit hard for us being QLD based LOL One day I will try to have them do a full NH season and will put them into some winter sport program will include the competitive races etc. however in the meantime always an interesting read about these events - been some discussion over in that Perisher thread both good and bad (mostly around crowds/available terrain etc. but parent and participant behaviour does always seem to get a run in these discussions).

I saw somebody commenting about QLD teams somewhere so anybody have any idea how many participants/teams where from sunny QLD?

22. silva

silva Active Member

Hi Scooter
    First trip to Aussie snow in 16 years but Mr 7 has done a 3 week trip overseas for the last 4 years - first 2 trips to Whitefish in Montana and last 2 years to Japan (Hakuba and Hakuba/Nozawa). He took to snowboarding very quickly and has always loved it. We have just chosen to spend our snow dollars overseas in the last 16 years. Mr 7 loves to race anything - interesting he is not too caught up in the whole caring about the winning side of things - he just loves to participate (in mountain biking he is often racing Under 15 or Under 13 categories as they are the youngest). As soon as he heard that his school was entering a team he was super keen. When we explained that there was no category for year 2 kids and he would have to race with the year 3 and 4 kids his reply was "that doesnt matter, even if I come last it will still be fun Mum". With that attitude we decided to go and check it out.

Queensland participants were few and far between - there was only a couple in Zacs division. Qld participants qualify straight through to Nationals - the Northern division is also their State competition. If you go on the Interschools website and choose the results tab you can call up the results and have a look at the Northern region results then by choosing QLD it will show just the Queensland kids ranked in order - basically I think if you enter and dont get disqualified you will qualify through for nationals.

23. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Hey @silva - sorry my bad - I read that as first trip to snow as opposed to first trip to Aussie snow so thought your boy was going in with no on snow time and thus the 3 days training prior etc. Now that you mention Whitefish I am sure we have jointly participated in discussions about kids etc. We are the same as you - have done NH trips last 7 years so whilst we are QLD based my kids actually have a heap of on snow time.

Just had a look at the results etc. - my boy would be Div 4 by the looks and the wider participation numbers for Alpine were ~120 and for QLD specifically only 5 - so yeah pretty small representation. Actually can understand a school like boys Grammar competing but a few obscure ones like Mt Tambourine were surprising (obviously keen snow parents ;)). That Div 4 was years 5 and 6 so maybe I should look at it for next year LOL Surprised that they have the divisions spanning a couple of years for the younger kids as that encompasses a wide spread of actual ages so would give a massive competitive advantage to the older/bigger kids however as you have shown not always the case - congrats on your little fella doing so well against a much older field :thumbs:

24. silva

silva Active Member

They actually awarded the Qld participants separately at the awards ceremony as well.

25. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

the age ranges cover a wide range of abilities
    when person a was 11 in year 6 and in div 4 we had another girl from year 4 in the same team who was only 9 but was a great skier

26. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

ACT is also like QLD. Competes in Southern region but the kids go straight through to Nationals. It can be a bit disheartening for the other kids if they beat every kid in ACT but miss nationals by say coming 11th or 12th overall in State.
    We had a similar experience in our first year after leaving Sydney when my 2 boys competed in a team together. They were in years 4 and 6. So my youngest, who started school young, was 9. They made state in Alpine, which was a bit of a surprise. But most importantly they had fun being in a team together.

Also some of the girls competing in the boys events do well. A few years back on of the girls from SMGS came 4th or 5th in boys Div 1 moguls.
    Yeah I have a few memories like that. One of a woman talking up someone else's child. Once was ok but about an hour of this was just over the top.

Our club lodge in Falls Creek used to get booked out by a particular school for interschools. Yep kids running wild, snuck in extra people without paying for them, the organisers booked in more people than they paid for then we got abused for this etc. They either don't care or do not think about the lasting impression this makes.

But this is just s few instances whilst the majority are well behaved and having a great time.

27. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

There's bugger all from Qld. They used to have their own comp, in the week prior, supplemented with Jindy kids to up the numbers. So chances are if your kids compete and don't miss any gates, they'll be straight through to nationals ;)

28. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Our first interschools was when my youngest was div 5, year 3 I think. She surprised me with a time that got her through to states. On the day of the state comp we got stuck at Interceptor, which went on lightning hold. So trying to get to Upper Roller Coaster for the race, we took North P T and hiked up and down a completely deserted Pleasant Valley. Made it up Brumby T, we were wet and shattered and jumped straight on the train. They cancelled racing for the day.

29. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

We had one time when we were all stuck in the Blue Cow terminal. There was a storm that kept changing direction rather than just passing though. Chairs were almost doing loops around the cable. Wonder if it was the same day?

30. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Maybe! I recall friends being out on Mt P and feeling very scared with lightning all around. Would have been 2009.

31. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Yeah saw that - the website had the separate events being QLD Interschools and then Northern NSW and QLD Interschools so guess if your were from QLD and good enough the opportunity was there to place in the 2 "separate" events.

Yeah - I quoted the numbers above for what would have been my boys Division (Alpine) and it was 120 odd total competitors with only 5 from QLD. Having a quick flick through the QLD results some events only have a max of 3 competitors so pretty decent odds to place LOL Would be interesting to hear the stories behind some of the QLD competitors as I assume its a reasonable effort to have their kids participate.

No separate event however that I can see - just ACT & Southern NSW. So not quite like QLD (separate event) - I am assuming that there is reasonable participation across the board for ACT kids just by virtue of the fact of proximity to the snow - was that the case? Figured you would have more ACT kids than Sydney kids but maybe not.

Out of interest do any schools actually have ski teams and regular training up at the snow?

32. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

ACT has been included in our division for as long as we have been involved. This is the first year that Qld has been included in N NSW, I guess running an entire event for such a small number of kids wasn't worthwhile. It did co-incide with the Qld school holidays though (week before ours). And that's probably why Qld kids got involved in the first place, down here for holidays, why not race.

There are plenty of private schools that have regular ski training, some of the Sydney ones even do drylands training in summer. I'd say most of the elite private schools have their own coaches, who travel with them to all events. I've seen Perisher coaches with Sydney schools at Buller and Thredbo. Redlands has their own campus in Jindy. JCS has a Friday ski program in term 3, not really any training as such, but an instructor for a few hours plus free time. Some JCS kids do race training at either Perisher or Thredbo, but individually, not part of the school program. SMGS has in the past couple of years had a program, whereby race training kids get special lessons at school after being on snow.

But really, the best training for kids is time on snow. I remember watching my kids when they were younger, playing on snow. They looked like a bunch of kids in the playground, but with skis/boards. They'd be playing hide n seek, building jumps, just generally all mucking about. And they have outskied me now for many years.

33. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Cheers @chicski - I always just assumed kids close to the snow (so put ACT in that bracket - and more so access towns like Jindy) went to the snow but I know that is flawed thinking - after all being Brissy based I have reasonable access to the beach but visits are infrequent/rare let alone participating in an ocean based competitive activity like Lifesaving. Guessing for the Melb and Sydney kids interest and participation is because of family trips etc. so no different to QLD kids just (closer/easier) access just makes it a little easier/doable. Was interesting seeing that Torah Bright vid posted in the Thredbo thread - living in Thredbo as a kid certainly facilitated her in competitive snowsports - not so easy for the average Aussie kid.

I remember talking to a Mt Beauty local years ago and asking about trips to Falls and they stated they had never been - didn't compute for me but then I am snow obsessed :D

Yeah agreed - thus my comment above about Torah Bright and access being an advantage etc. Here was the vid here for those that hadn't seen it (not a bad vid)

My 2 kids would have just over 350 days on snow (actual days skiing/riding) from the last 7 seasons so probably a few more days than your average Qld kid (safe to say I'm a believer in time on snow :D).

34. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Certainly helps being close. But many long term locals don't ski! They're farrming families etc. JCS swells in winter with heaps of kids attending just for term 3.

35. silva

silva Active Member

Hi Scooter
    There was no separate entry to enter a separate QLD interschools - they just seem to have done a special results list separating out the QLD entrants. Everyone entered the Nothern and Qld interschools as a single event and all raced together. ACT may be similar - I am not sure, maybe a separate set of results will come out for the ACT entrants who registered for the ACT & Southern interschools.

36. silva

silva Active Member

In terms of school teams - from my limited exposure there were certainly some fairly big school teams who were all organised in training groups and running around having a great time - The Kings School was probably the most obvious and some of the other Sydney private schools competing in the Northern NSW and QLD region also had uniforms and a obvious coordinator but quite a few public schools were organised along the same lines with uniforms etc - Manly Public certainly stood out.

37. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

I am pretty sure ACT/Southern and QLD/Northern are run much the same. The kids all compete on the same day, on the same course but they are actually separate results. With ACT kids it does not matter where they come overall, it is only the result against other ACT kids that matters. You need to go to the ACT Interschools website to see those results.

I doubt they would let kids actually compete in both events. It would be incredibly unfair to the NSW kids to let someone who automatically goes straight through to Nationals bump a NSW kid from going through to the state event.

There are way less ACT kids than Sydney kids and IIRC less ACT kids than Southern kids. The Sydney region is closed to new schools and has been for a long time. It is probably a bigger event than the state event.

Both Scotts and Redlands have winter campuses with regular organized training. And there are lots of kids who spend just winter at JCS. Had a bit of a surprise when watching the boarder-cross world championships when my mogul skier commented that someone representing Holland went to school with him at JCS.

38. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Hey @skichanger - Sorry - I was just going by the fact that on http://nswinterschools.com.au/results when you select events - they had no separate event selectable for ACT as they do for QLD for 2016 and 2017 (actually for 2017 haven't listed ACT-Southern - is that what's on at Thredbo this week or last week?) so seemed to be slightly different.

And re the QLD/Northern results I knew they ran the event combined and had separate QLD results but when you select the combined event the QLD competitors seemed to have been incorporated into the results - i.e. for that Div 4 Alpine event I looked at the boy who placed first for QLD is listed as 7th in the combined results and even the naming seems to imply they might be in both - i.e. one set of results is QLD Interschools whilst the other is Northern NSW and QLD. No idea - as you said would be pretty unfair for a QLD kids result to impact a Northern NSW kids eligibility of proceeding to the next level for NSW. I had a quick look to see if I could see a Qld kid who was top 3 combined to see how the results were handled but couldn't find one so no idea.

What's JCS? Think when I googled it before I got a possible Sydney based education institute but given you and @chicski have spoken about term 3 and numbers etc. thinking the J has something to do with Jindabyne and probably nothing to do with what ever I quickly googled when it was first mentioned?

39. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Jindabyne central school. It's the local public school. The NSW kids aren't impacted by the Qld results for state qualifications. I think the separate results are a carry over from when they were separate events.

#39 chicski, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  40. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

@Scooter no need to apologise as no offence was taken. My intention was just to provide information that some of us take for granted. We had a few times when we thought our kids had not qualified for state events because they came 11th or the team came 6th in the overall results. Then the ACT kids were taken out and they had qualified. Apart from in moguls, they were never really competitive so it didn't really matter. Just another excuse for a day skiing instead of going to school ;)

41. Kopite

Kopite New Member

The eldest is keen to have a bash at this next year, she's still very inexperienced really, but loves her skiing and is pretty fearless, so I thought I'd put her in. Any tips from those who have been before?

42. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Remember it is meant to be fun.

43. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

This. And chocolate.

44. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Yeah it is meant to be fun. Don't take it to seriously as there are kids that have had years of training or lots of time on snow even in Div 5. Be prepared to spend a bit of time standing around, hopefully being entertained by some great skiing/boarding. Be prepared for adverse weather conditions. Volunteer if necessary. Can be an interesting experience.

45. Kopite

Kopite New Member

It's all about her enjoying it, if she doesn't then really what's the point? As for volunteering, her school hasn't done it in a while now so I'll probably end up being the orgsaniser/coordinator as a minimum...

Can i pack both chocolate and haribo sours? Don't want to overstep the mark....

46. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

If you school only has 1 team you won't need to volunteer.

Most kids do enjoy it. Of my 2, one loved interschools. The other was meh about it, mainly because he got anxious. Try it once and see how it goes.

Within the bounds of what you are happy to carry there is no such thing as overstepping the mark wrt to the goodies you take. You need to enjoy it as well. We have seen some amazing feasts slopeside at various events.

47. silva

silva Active Member

Just go and have fun. Mr 7 had a great time. Its a bit like organised chaos. My only suggestion would be to sign your daughter up for a lesson or camp which will teach her what to do - Perisher ran a 3 day camp/clinic which Mr 7 did and it was great - he met kids he would be racing so he already had friends to hang out with in the start area and he learnt what to do.