1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed First Japan Trip

Discussion in 'Japan' started by mrborizuka, Jan 3, 2019.

1. mrborizuka

mrborizuka First Runs

Hi guys & girls.

I am having trouble dissecting the volumes of information and where even to start our first skiing! I'm sorry if this has been posted before.

My partner and I are planning on doing our first ski trip to Japan in mid-February. Given this is our first time to Japan we want to keep it as easy as possible and learnt and absorb all we can.

I am keen to just visit maybe one area/resort with a large choice of runs, good lifts culture, preferably ski-in ski out option, while also having a local area or village to visit for food, onsens and cultural things! I'm not super fond of too many crowds though! Catch 22 I know. I ski blue/black; she ski's green/blue's.

We are also looking at a few days in Tokyo or another town. We are planning on just taking ski clothes and boots, leaving our ski's and just hiring them.

If anyone has any first-hand advice of location to target or packages to search then, that would be amazing! Hopefully, this is one of many future getaways!

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Just head to Myoko

3. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hakuba, Myoko or Nozawa. All ' relatively crowded ' thouggt but all tick some or all of the boxes and are easy to access from Tokyo. Zao Onsen maybe....

4. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hakuba ain't the greatest ski-in ski out for a learner intermediate though..

5. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

True, but could stay up at Wadano for easy access and green (flat) runs.

2ESki likes this.
  6. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Zao could work. Don't know how crowded it is these days though. I hear there are plenty of Chinese now but most just go up the ropeway for the Juhyo rather than ski.

Vermillion likes this.
  7. Medicine_Shoes

Medicine_Shoes Early Days

Will there be any accommodation left this close to mid Feb? That's what is going to determine where you go methinks.

8. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Shit loads..........just need to suss out how far from lifts / transport.

9. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Actually no. CNY and Foundation Day means lots of places are booked out until 16 Feb. After that might be okay.

How many days you looking at OP? If only 5-6 then Madarao might be a good choice.

10. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

The Japan threads have a wealth of information. I'd dedicate some time to trawling the ones that appear relevant to you. Re. package info....I don;t think you'll find much on here. This is more of a DIY crowd here

Vermillion likes this.
  11. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This. There is plenty of info shared in here, so most here are happy to DIY. It's not that hard as long as you have a bit of time. And we don't generally recommend specific agents. But if you are interested in specific tour ideas have a look here. Powderhounds is quite a good ski review site, though more for those specifically chasing powder as the name suggests.
    http://www.powderhounds.com/Japan/Tours.aspx?Country=Japan

12. munja

munja Hard Yards

Nozawa, suits your requirements plenty of green and blue runs with traditional village. This is our second trip there and what you are looking for is what we're going back for.

john_kr likes this.
  13. loklok

loklok One of Us

Start with these three ideas:

You could fly into Tokyo and then catch a shuttle bus to Hakuba. Most of the hotels there will sell you discount lift passes, and ski hire is everywhere. There are several large resorts along the valley, and you can explore them one by one. Not too western, but very comfortable for a first timer. Lessons are available, and there are plenty of green runs. There are free shuttle buses to take you to wherever you need to go. Snow Monkey and Matsumoto Castle tours are readily available from here.

You could fly to Tokyo and catch a train to Nagano (Iiyama) and then a bus to Nozawa. This is a much more Japanese style town (although completely westerner friendly). Not so many green run choices. Everything is close by, and shuttle buses exist if you're staying too far from the slopes to walk. Snow Monkey tours are readily available from here also.

You could fly to Sapporo and catch a shuttle bus to Niseko. This is by far and away the largest resort in Japan. Much more western in it's feel, but the snow is astonishing. You won't get bored skiing here. Lessons, ski hire, lift passes and free shuttle buses abound. Plenty of green runs. Stay in Hirafu, and visit the Yukoro Onsen for a beer under the stars. Visit nearby Kutchan for a more Japanese dining experience. Take a day or two off, to tour Sapporo - ideally during the Ice Festival. Avoid Australia Day like the plague.

14. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

If you want it easy, you’ll probably pay more.

Fly to Tokyo. 3-4 days there to do stuff +/- day at Disney. Shink to Nagano. Pick up car, drive to snow monkeys. Drive to Hakuba. Arrive evening. Choose an accom of your choice(hotel, hostel or self catered cottage). Ski 7 of 10 days on a all valley pass. Ski 4-5 of the resorts. Drive back to Nagano, shink to Tokyo and go home.

15. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Do you want a Japanese experience or a skiing in Japan experience? Because they can be 2 different things.

Hyst, mannyk and M_G like this.