1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed First time I've worked on pre-season fitness

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by sly_karma, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, but you're strange!! ;)
    Nice, but strange :D

2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Fair

Sandy likes this.
  3. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

First week of gym visits and I'm adapting. The trainer put together a weight circuit of modest weight and high repetitions, plus ab work and balance time on the Bosu ball.

The last is intriguing to me, it will take a long time to get proficient on it. At this stage I can balance on two feet ok but closing my eyes tips me off in no time. One foot work is gonna take a while. I might get one for use at home, watch TV standing on it as some have suggested. I bet my grandsons will love it too!

hipo, piolet, MarzNC and 1 other person like this.
  4. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The bosu can also used for many other exercises other than standing as well. A great piece of kit.

LMB likes this.
  5. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The BOSU is the only piece of exercise equipment that gets moved between floors at my house fairly often.

Here's another way to work on balance. Only found it recently so haven't tried it too often.

sly_karma likes this.
  6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

You’ll be surprised at how quickly you will get proficient with repetition.
    I use it regularly to challenge my balance and have noticed a huge improvement on snow, and when hiking over honky nuts!
    A fun one to throw in from time to time is to bounce a weighted but bouncy ball in front of you while on the bosu. You can gradually increase that difficulty from simple two footed bounce and catch, to one footed and rotating the bounce and catch through 9 o’clock, 12 and 3 o’clock positions.

hipo likes this.
  7. sly_karma

About 5 weeks at the gym now. I quite like it! Took some experimenting with schedule but the best time for me seems to be right after work. Big bonus here is turning the phone to silent and chucking it in the locker while I work out. Definitely ends the work day, which for me can drag on for hours some days answering emails and texts.

My sessions last about an hour and a half, an hour to do the circuit work and another 30 minutes of abs, stretching and balance. I've been keeping reps high and weights modest, especially with legs. For recreational skiing I need leg stamina rather than massive leg strength. I quizzed the trainer about all-round leg work rather than just lots of quads and hams. Probably the biggest gains have been in balance. This is where I was the most lacking and therefore found the most challenge. Still a long way to go but I see improvement.

Did my first of the month weigh-in last week and found to my surprise I'd lost another 6 lb. Everyone tells you to expect diminishing losses as you stay on keto for multiple months. That combined with some addition of lean muscle mass from resistance training led me to expect little to no weight loss in September. Anyway I'm now down 33 lb/15 kg since June 1, two thirds of my 50 lb/23 kg target in a span of four months. Hope to reach that overall goal by end of February.

I was a bit unsure how exercise and keto would mix for me, another reason why I waited 3 months before starting at the gym. It's been fine for the most part, once I understood that I need to eat a few hours before exercising. I'm an early riser and figured I'd go to the gym at 5:30 am and get on with the work day. But with no easily available quick energy from carbs, I would bonk at the end of the gym session. The light breakfast I ate beforehand was still digesting so I was on empty. Lesson learned: as long as I have a good breakfast or lunch, gym at 4-6 pm is fine.

Motivation is at a high level now: weight targets being met, season passes purchased, snow already falling!

Froff Life, DPS Driver and southpaw like this.
  8. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Note to self; no ski off with sly this season

cold wombat, kylep and southpaw like this.
  9. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

@sly_karma the struggle with exercising fasted can be adapted to, but takes a little time for some people. Most of the experts suggest morning exercise is better for fat burn, and protein within 30mins has an increased effect on muscle growth. When I am intermittent fasting I'll eat dinner the night before, then exercise first thing, and not eat until lunch, having only black coffee or tea - body adapts quickly to handling this, except I do feel a little less switched on toward lunch time on those days. Not sure how all this goes with the Keto thing.
    If you've found a time that works for you, especially with the phone trick, then stick at it

sly_karma and piolet like this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I keep fit all year round and avoid eating sugary shite, do not eat meat, love eating wheat and rice ( Indian Veg. diet) and don't drink booze. I drink green tea often. I swim 2.5 kms outdoors twice a week, cycle 25 kms once a week, walk often , sometimes surf, & bushwalk outside of ski season. XC skiing is a huge workout. I am able to belt out 10-15 km early in the ski season but by September I can ski 20 kms in good time over the Bogong High Plains.I am 50 years old and feel good and look quite in condition too.

southpaw likes this.
  11. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Is that your tinder profile?

12. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I’m down with all that except the no booze I’m afraid. There seems to be a symbiotic relationship between skiing and booze so much so one wouldn’t be as much fun without the other, although of course not at the same time.

13. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Coffee, single malt and pizza.
    3 x 10 hour busy work days per week with virtually no sitting and much stress.
    Every week 2 days of either MTB, climb, bushwalk or ski or a combination thereof.

14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I have watched booze either kill or mangle people in my family. XC Skiing and good health go together . Booze, cooked brain , damaged liver and bad behaviour go together in my view.

15. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

I've seen the same in my extended family- lots of alcohol addiction with very sad endings. The impact can go on for several generations after the problem has been "solved". Most behaviours taken to excess will be bad for us.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  16. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I don’t disagree with the position that excessive alcohol consumption is a major problem. To be clear I was only talking about moderate consumption. I only drink Friday to Sunday and give myself a break the rest of the week. Mind you I do feel the effects more easily than I used to.

17. cold wombat

Nothing wrong with most things in moderation.

southpaw likes this.
  18. Untele-whippet

Except skiing.....

19. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I have found that if I feel like exercise I lay down .The feeling then goes away!

southpaw and cold wombat like this.
  20. sly_karma

I've settled into a routine that seems to be working for me. Gym after work 3 days a week, once on the weekend if I'm in town. Typically I'm starting the workout about 10-11 hours fasted, I appear to have adapted well to this as there have been no low sugar episodes.

I just hit the 5 month mark last week. Starting weight 248 lb (112.5 kg), current weight 210 lb (92.3 kg) for a loss of 38 lb/17.2 kg. Body fat continues to reduce, next measurement due in early Dec.

Less quantitative, but movement and agility have seen big improvements. Every day on the building site I notice how much easier it is to climb up on scaffold and things like that. Skiing starts in a month and I'm truly looking forward to it for the first time in years.

FWIW, I've cut down my alcohol intake lot due to calorie and carb concerns, but haven't stopped altogether. I try to have at least three alcohol-free days a week and the other days are pretty light if I'm at home, just a glass if wine with dinner or one beer watching TV. Alcohol has never ruled my life and I havent been drunk or hungover in years and years, but not hard to see the consequences in terms of calories and the weight gain over the years. Too much of a good thing as usual!

I plan to stay keto for another 4 months, with a review when I hit my weight loss target of 50 lb/23 kg - just 7 kg to go! I'm inclined to continue the low carb principles longterm, with an occasional treat like fresh bread or a dark beer. But my eating habits in the past were "deny yourself nothing", moderation was not a concept I was familiar with. I suspect the path forward is as much mental as physical.

hipo, Annabuzzy, MarzNC and 3 others like this.
  21. cold wombat

This is the hard bit!

;)

I suspect this is the key for most of us, if not all.

sly_karma likes this.
  22. MarzNC

I'm impressed! :)

After you achieve your goal, you might consider intermittent fasting. You're comment made me think of the book "Delay, Don't Deny." It's one of the most readable introductions to both the potential advantages, benefits, and the process of getting into some variation of IF where the basic concept is being very aware of when you are taking in calories and sweet-tasting drinks more than worrying about what you eat/drink.

The book:

An introduction to the author:
    https://over50skifitness.blogspot.com/2018/09/delay-dont-deny-about-if-by-gin-stephens.html

23. sly_karma

I'm pretty much a two meals a day person now. Some days I skip breakfast, others it's lunch. For me, removing carbs removed a lot of the imperative to eat.

24. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I’d only be guessing to say what my weight is. I got really sick a few years ago and piled on 15-20kg. I truly don’t think my diet was particularly bad, or my exercise regime bad either. I surfed 2-3 days a week, did yoga most weeks, and an occasional swim.

I ultimately came very close to dying nearly 2 years ago. Since identifying the problem and removing the miscreant organ the excess weight has largely dropped off. The first 5-10kg came off with the illness, post surgical effects and then depression. But the balance just “came off”. I really haven’t changed my diet much at a all, and the exercise regime is virtually exactly the same. Go figure!!!

as I age I need to work more on flexibility. I also SHOULD do a little running, if only once a month.

25. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Shit dude! No good!

Annabuzzy likes this.
  26. Untele-whippet

Boo to miscreant organs!

27. cold wombat

Crikies @Annabuzzy, don't try that trick again!

Annabuzzy likes this.
  28. sly_karma

I've incorporated most of these into my balance/stretch session at the end of the workout. Challenging at first - my balance was really quite poor - but getting a lot better of late. Thanks for the link.

MarzNC likes this.
  29. sly_karma

Started using the carb manager app after 5 months of lazy keto (not tracking or measuring foods). App shows I've been consuming a bit more carb than I thought, although still usually within my daily 24 g limit. Small amounts in foods I thought were carb free and have been consuming to satiety, such as mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.

On the other hand, the two meals a day habit I've fallen into has me consuming fewer calories than I thought. Most days I fall somewhere between half and three quarters of the 2100 calorie daily target. I guess that explains why weight loss has continued despite increases in lean muscle mass from weight training.

Leg stamina continues to improve. Weights same, reps way up. Doing some like leg press at high speed/high reps/small movement range to simulate the repeated flexing and extending I would experience in bumps. Reps needed to take me to complete fatigue has gone up considerably. That is a good sign.

30. MarzNC

Sounds like good progress!

I've been using weight machines this fall for first time in a few years. What I learned a while back was to focus on eccentric movement, based on slow movement in the appropriate direction.

I started deliberate ski conditioning during PT for a knee injury about seven years ago around age 55. Towards the end of PT I asked for advice about how to pick appropriate weights for machines or free weights. The advice was to use 15 as a gauge. Meaning if it was easy to do 15 reps, then it was time to consider going to the next higher weight. We were talking about leg exercises but I've used the same idea for upper body. These days I use kettle bells or hand weights at times.

31. sly_karma

Yes 15 reps is my gauge as well, for most things.