1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed First time I've worked on pre-season fitness

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by sly_karma, Aug 19, 2019.

1. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Well the virus disrupted my body transformation plans before they started. Went back to the gym last week and got on the scale for the first time in three months. Up from 191 lb to 197 lb, not bad considering the fortnight in Mexico featured plenty of beer, tacos and churros as planned. After that I decided to do the maintenance eating without any kind of tracking; I wanted to see how much feel I had for keeping on a steady level. I'd say not a bad result, agility and fit of clothes haven't changed in those three months.

For June I'm tracking carefully again and back to strict keto to strip off those covid kilos. Gym sessions as before - circuit based with light weight/high reps while I make a nutrition and weights plan with the trainer to regain the muscle mass I lost back in ski season. I'll focus on that for July-Aug-Sept and then switch back to ski fitness for Oct and Nov.

How is everyone else doing with fitness going into S Hem season? Or sustaining through N Hem summer?

2. teleroo

teleroo Lincoln Terns Ski Pass: Gold

Well I've kept up the 600 cal/day two days a week, since November. Was regularly doing two gym sessions a week starting in late Feb, but that got canned due to covid-19. Gym theoretically opens this Saturday, but a bit of a change to my work/dad/spare time routine may curtail gym sessions for a while. But a bit of a recap for everyone:
    • Been long time in the 101-103 kg weight range. At 6'2" this put me in the National Heart Foundations overweight range.
    • Started intermittent fasting at 101 kg, waist 110 cm, in early Nov 2019.
    • Phase one goal of getting to 95 kg achieved mid-December.
    • Set my self a second goal of getting below 90 kg by the time the ski season starts.
    • Been kind of sitting around 91 kg since March though:
    • 91.1 kg on 18 March
    • 89.6 kg on 15 April (suspect measurement?)
    • 91.4 kg on 05 May
    • 91.0 kg on 16 May
    • 90.1 kg on 30 May. Waist typically hovering around 97 cm.

I'm due for a weigh in soon (have to go the local pharmacy to use their scales). But I like two spaced out measurements below the target weight to feel as though I have genuinely got there, which I haven't yet achieved, but am close. However, starting date for our ski season has been pushed out to 20-something June, so a little time still up my sleeve. But if I get below 90 kegs that will put me in the Heart Foundation's healthy weight range for my height. Can't really get myself to continue fitness routine at home, bit boring or something.

sly_karma likes this.
  3. sly_karma

You have some solid improvements there Teleroo. Losing 13 cm off the belly is really good, all the research says this visceral fat is a high risk for heart and other disease, especially for men. Well done mate.

teleroo likes this.
  4. teleroo

11 June, 89.6kg. I'll take that as a win ;).

5. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

absolutely

6. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Continuing to maintain a good weight doing 16-8 intermittent fasting.

Being at home due to the pandemic meant that I had 8 weekly personal training sessions in a row for the first time. Same trainer I've been working with for 7 years since knee rehab. She set up an outdoor workout area in her backyard. Mostly using TRX but also a little work with a medicine ball. We added a semi-private session every other weekend with a friend in his backyard. I've been going over there on the off weekend as well. So twice weekly workouts for about six weeks, which have certainly made a difference. I'll be starting fall ski conditioning in much better shape than ever.

Also been getting plenty of exercise doing yard work, including tree pruning tasks that have been put off for a year or three.

Have reservations for return trip to Taos made for early Feb 2021. Going together with a few friends. If everything falls into place, hoping to get to Big Sky in Dec.

#206 MarzNC, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    sly_karma and Roymond like this.
  7. TJ

TJ One of Us

Been training in the gym 6-7 times a week since the lifts closed on 12 April. Seems like everyone in the valley is on some type of training regime. The side benefits of covid I suppose. Pumped for next season already. It will be quiet without a doubt.

8. teleroo

Back in the gym today. First time since March. Two weeks from today should be on snow. Not much dedicated exercise done in the covid19 period, so a bit of catch up due. Took it easy, more about blowing out the cobwebs and getting range of motion back today. Bit of a self goal, I've actually got ability for two gym sessions per day this week. See how we go.

sly_karma likes this.
  9. PAW

PAW Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

My on-snow time is usually brief, but hard work spending a few nights camping above the tree line. So to prepare for the uphill I've started doing short hill climbs with a fully-loaded backpack. About 300m elevation gain. I hope I can make it lighter when the time comes to head to the snow, I know light is right but even so the packs are always heavy ☠️

DPS Driver, sly_karma and kylep like this.
  10. was June daily watching

was June daily watching One of Us

It's been great back at the gym.
    Hardly anyone there except one time when someone decided to hog the lat-pulldown machine which I usually use to start.
    Despite doing none at home since March, I've started on only slightly lower weights.
    During lockdown it's been mostly Pilates exercises, some squats and a 3km walk every morning plus bike rides.

sly_karma likes this.
  11. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yep gyms opening back up today in VIC has been amazing, missed the muscle soreness!

12. sly_karma

From an abundance of caution, it took me three workouts to get back to the weight settings I was using before COVID. Back into the three times a week routine and usually manage to get in one unstructured outdoor session of some kind, a bike ride or a walk or even yard work. I'm on track to be back at pre-pandemic weight by the end of June. Not everyone has embraced the gym reopening, it has been pretty quiet in there each time I've been. Not complaining about that.

13. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Starting a new business during Covid hasn't helped with any training. Mainly just walking the dog and surfing.

Just started on some light weights but that's to fix my shoulder at the moment. Just doing that has got the juices flowing so I'll be picking up the intensity soon, once my shoulder is on the mend.

Covid kilos appeared from nowhere.

sly_karma likes this.
  14. sly_karma

Careful careful careful with the shoulder. So easy to reinjure.

15. Xwing

Xwing One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

During my many walking kilometres, I stop off at the skate park where I do some ski related stuff. Walk down forwards and up backwards on ramps sort of like half pipes, doing snow plow stance on toes keeping head up as if skiing. Repeat this twenty times and keep going. Normally do about 3km each walk non stop about four or five times per day. I ditched the fitbit though - it was becoming an obsession. One day I did 27km and 475km total for the month - purpose walks aside from general stuff. Watching numbers too much.

climberman likes this.
  16. nachos supreme

nachos supreme Hard Yards

I'm probably a bit late to the party here but I cannot recommend the 30 minute dryland lift assisted ski program highly enough 4 x 30 minutes per week for 4 weeks and while it's hard yards you will feel like you have a month plus of skiing under your belt first day on the hill.

https://mtntactical.com/shop/30-minutes-per-day-dryland-ski-training-plan/

For what it's worth I'm 43, been skiing since I was 3, not a fitness machine, have tried a whole bunch of different programs, some made me very fit. But even though they came recommended for skiing didn't prepare me for skiing, not in the way this does.

and yes, I'm going round again on it right now.

sly_karma likes this.
  17. Trizzo

Trizzo First Runs

Where I live I'm lucky that there is a bunch of sport specific physios. I found a ski specific one who developed two plans, intro and advanced.

Both were basically, squats, core, increasing cardiac capacity and more squats.

Cardiac/exercise: up and down stairs, elliptical 3 days a week. I do HIIT running

Squats: combinations of weighed, quad press, step ups, stand to sit squats, RLD single leg, lunge squat, bosu ball squats, medicine ball squats, lunges, adductor exercices etc... there are so many

Core: Paloff press, TRX trainer (advanced, seek advice)

And stretching to finish.

Highly recommend calling a exercise pyshio, doing an hour session to see where you are and to develop a plan. Now I have my plan I refer back to it in the pre season. It's a good investment. You can do a lot of ski exercies with body weight and light weights away for the gym too.

18. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I go skiing for a couple of weeks and just when I'm about to come home, I find I've reached my peak ski fitness. Works every time.

19. sly_karma

The combination of 25 kg weight loss and 3/week gym sessions gave me my best ski season in at least a decade. Didn't hurt that we had all time snow base and a lot of powder days. Yes it ended early due to that pesky virus but it was amazing for me. Brought joy back into my skiing.

20. teleroo

Never mind ya kilos and centimetres, this is the best kind of milestone....

21. sly_karma

Haha I had to do that at work a few months back. No hole punch, had to use cordless drill. Needs must.

Well done @teleroo, that is a nice NSV (non scale victory).

teleroo likes this.
  22. sly_karma

Plus better check the fit of your ski boots, fat be everywhere until you lose it quickly.

23. teleroo

They are ok, been wearing them around home :thumbs:.

Nightskywatcher likes this.
  24. sly_karma

It's OK to advertise here, provided you pay to do so.

25. Young Angus

Young Angus Addicted

Hey I just read this and realised I can totally do pistol squats but I haven't been to the gym since COVID, I'm getting on a regime of some of these each day now...just gotta figure out what the "angled" part is about.

26. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

New bizz atm? I guess you'd either sweat bullets and lose weight or stress eat :eek: g'luck

27. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

I would have been so confused by this post if I hadn’t seen the offending post earlier