First time ski touring - how to do it? Best instructor?

Fraser Perry

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2016
Hi everyone,

My friends and I are very avid bushwalkers and would like to get into cross country ski touring this winter and would welcome any suggestions from knowledgeable forum members on the e best way to do it.

We have never skiied before but have extensive multi-night bushwalking experience in the Snowies, NZ and Tassie and have winter gear.

Who's the best instructor in Australia to learn from?
Whats the most effective way to learn the skiing technique and what would be some suitable trips to start with?

I was thinking of heading down to Perisher or even Falls Creek and do two days with an instructor followed by an easy overnight trip to a hut (eg. Illawong, Schlink). What do you reckon?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Cheers, Fraser

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Hi everyone,

My friends and I are very avid bushwalkers and would like to get into cross country ski touring this winter and would welcome any suggestions from knowledgeable forum members on the e best way to do it.

We have never skiied before but have extensive multi-night bushwalking experience in the Snowies, NZ and Tassie and have winter gear.

Whats the most effective way to learn the skiing technique and what would be some suitable trips to start with?

I was thinking of heading down to Perisher or even Falls Creek and do two days with an instructor followed by an easy overnight trip to a hut (eg. Illawong, Schlink). What do you reckon?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Cheers, Fraser
illawong isn't open for public use.
But contact 'K7 Adventures' and chat with Peter or Acacia for lessons and a chat about how to best get to where you want to go with ski touring.

You Fraser the flyfisher?

Fraser Perry

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2016
Hi everyone,

illawong isn't open for public use.
but contact 'K7 Adventures' and chat with Peter or Acacia.

You Fraser the flyfisher?
Legend, thanks Climberman. I'll get in touch with K7.
Yeap that's me - although my walking has started to taken over my fly fishing recently! An annual Nz trip seems to be enough fly fishing to stay happy!

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Legend, thanks Climberman. I'll get in touch with K7.
Yeap that's me - although my walking has started to taken over my fly fishing recently! An annual Nz trip seems to be enough fly fishing to stay happy!
No probs, thought I recognised the name :)
Have fun, a great way to see the mountains.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
To be fair if your not skiers it is a reasonable step up to learn to ski with a pack on.

I started touring when I was twenty having had some time when I was very young on skis but to be fair hadn't skied in 10 years and it was tough. Nothing like face planting into the snow and then having your pack hit the back of your head to reinforce your $&@? Up.

It sounds like you have a trip in mind with friends so if I were you, and If your an experienced walker with good navigation I'd split the trip between learning to ski and snowshoeing.

Spend some time at the resort on touring gear with an instructor learning to turn and stop and maybe even do some time on the trails. That would cover a few days.

Then if your keen to go over night in the snow, hire snow shoes, this will allow you to get out there in winter whilst you build your skiing base.

Schlink is a great trip as you can use it as a base camp and continue to build your skiing base. I also like the idea of skiing beginners to Schlick as there a few huts on the way so if you do struggle time wise you can pull up short at one of the other huts.

Hiring an instructor to take you touring for a few days would be a waste of money, I'm not sure this was what you had in mind. I'd spend it learning at a resort or with k7 or any professional rather than a club. It's best to get a solid base.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I think you should just start with the xc skiing then concern yourself with adding the touring element.

The most efficient way to learn the skills is on the xc trails on trail gear and move onto touring once you have the skills.

A step by step approach.

As mentioned K7 instructs in this.

Wilderness Sports also provides xc trail instruction. Come late June book a lesson with Katherine.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I started with a day at Selwyn getting the hang of it. Then I was expert, and started day trips. Then overnighters. All the gear was heavy and shit in comparison, you will be right. The one thing I would do differently (had no choice though, I was 11 that first go, so lessons were dad saying, get up, and laughing) is GET SOME LESSONS!

Reactions: DJM and Seth

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I should clarify when I say paying someone to go ski touring is a waste.

Get lessons and learn the basics, do this without a pack and with an instructor. The when you have mastered, stop, turn and go, probably balance as well then go further afield.

If you hired someone to take you out you just won't get far and would be better served having spent time learning. That said the instructor at k7 and wilderness sports would work this out pretty quick anyway.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Disclaimer: I instruct with K7

Both K7 and wilderness sports will be able to provide what you're looking for.

If you go with K7 Mike Edmonson is a great Instructor and Guide.

The public can stay at Illawong (I'm pretty sure its part of their lease with KNP). Details Here

Reactions: Kletterer

Moondog55

One of Us
Mar 3, 2014
Get a couple of days instruction in skiing first, trying to learn to ski with a 20 kilo rucksack on your back is a PITA; BTDT.
PM incoming

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Get lessons and learn the basics, do this without a pack and with an instructor. The when you have mastered, stop, turn and go, probably balance as well then go further afield.

This ^^^

From Zac.

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
Nordic ski club nsw and other clubs also provide instructional weekends and tours. Great way to build a network of folk with a variety of skills and skill levels.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
"Friends don't let friends snow shoe"

Nice one Tele Phat,

I have friends who are regular hiking buddies that are keen to come out in winter but don't ski. They keep talking about snow shoeing and I keep thinking, I'll see you at the hut at the end of day. I'll be the one yodelling and having fun making my turns down hill at the hut whilst there pot holing there way to the hut.

Personally I couldn't think of anything worse that seeing a great hill and having to walk down.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
being a beginner can be a prick .....first time on skis I came up Bogong Highplains Rd and it was icy so consequently I slipped and fell and yes it was a prick of a day....just do little trips at first with no packs...and get used to skis uphill down hill and then out from prepared trail over virgin snow...don't do any overnight camping till you have had a week on skis..

you learn almost 85per cent of your ski skills on the first day....

there is ice, crud,little creeks to cross...bigger creeks to cross and being able to pick your route so you bang on some traverses to gain your objective..balling up,white out....

then those monster packs that once you go down you can hardly get up on the first day of a long trip...

then u will soon be able to do everything on skiis like get water without taking skiis off....

snow camping is pretty easy really and u already have those skills....

and then without skins....nasty icy climbs when the wind is full in your face and those skiis are just skidding around and your arms are working bloody hard with stocks to make up the traction...

yep zac is correct....for trips on undulating ground just being able to slide at 10km an hour is much better than having to take every step in snow shoes...those hills can be taken in gentle traverses when you got kilos strapped to your back....:whistle::whistle:

also experiment with sleds...sometimes easy to pull a lot of gear with a small kids tobogann
especially over prepared trail or route that skidoos have been on...

Last edited:

Rurik

First Runs
Jan 18, 2016
This is my first post.

I am in the same situation as the original poster, what I have done is get in contact with the Canberra Cross Country Ski Club and found out they are running a come and try day in July. It is pretty cheap and I think worth the effort.

Reactions: Untele-whippet

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
my first day on XC skis was on an overnighter at Snowy plains up past Licola in Vic. we just drove up till the snow was too deep to drive thru and skied from there. We had full packs but the skiing was really just bushwalking on skis up a gravel road so quite straightforward. I have been hooked ever since that first trip nearly 40 years ago!

Reactions: climberman
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass