1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion First Time Skiing in Japan - best location?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Jesse Tillman, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Hello All,

Husband and I are booked for 10 days in Japan start of Feb 2020. We fly into Osaka and want to spend just 4-5 days skiing.

Bit overwhelmed with all the resorts and options and hoping for some personal advice on this. Can't tell if its close enough to stay in Osaka the whole time or there is somewhere close or on snow that we can stay that won't kill us cost wise - only want budget accom that's comfortable since we will only sleep there. Getting accom sorted is my first priority.

and of course whats a good place to go - because I'm going to guess its nothing like just heading to Falls Creek! Thank you

I've skied plenty in Victoria - up to the easiest black runs, but most comfortable on blue AND i havent skied in years, husband has never skied (he thinks he wants to try snowboarding)

2. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hi and welcome. I'd recommend taking the Shinkansen to Nagoya and then catching the direct train from Nagoya to Hakuba and spending the 5 days there. We did a similar thing on our first trip to Japan.

In Hakuba I'd stay in either Wadano or Echoland, there's a lot of lodges with reasonable rates in both of those areas.

3. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Myoko is easy for a first trip to Japan.

4. 2ESki

2ESki Addicted

2nd Tanuki's suggestion, first trip we went to Hakuba and loved it, Wadano best spot, eats and shuttle buses to other Mountains :thumbs:

Jesse Tillman likes this.
  5. Shrike

Shrike Hard Yards

3rd this, when about are you going?

Ill be in Tokyo from the 25th-28th Jan and then Osaka from the 28th

Heading to Hakuba from Osaka on the 2nd Feb and coming back to Tokyo on the 8th to fly out of Narita on the 9th

I've booked my accom already but know of a few places that are more on the budget side.

My question would be
    Do you want ski in/ ski out or are happy down in the village and to catch shuttles etc?
    Do you want to be in a dorm or want your own room?
    What do you class as a reasonable cost?

I was there last Feb for a few days :)

Also note a lot of Japanese places don't open booking until 3months out (however I know of a few places that are already booked in advance)

6. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, Hakuba

7. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Try Penke-Panke. Close to Happo (Sakka base area, in the Wadano area of Hakuba), and near the first stop for shuttles.
    The price is quite budget.
    It's run by an Aussie, so bookings will be open.
    http://www.penkepanke.com/en/ski-lodge-information
    It's a good operation, and I last stayed there about 3 years ago.
    They also pick up at the bus/train station, and a daily late arvo run to the supermarket & onsen.

8. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

My first thoughts were definitely Hakuba with the points mentioned before. But the more I think, if good solid blue groomers are what you are after + beginner hubby, then maybe think about Shiga Kogen. You are already coming up to Nagano I guess from Osaka, so when you get out to hop on a bus, it’s just another stand that will take you up to Shiga. I guess the real question is, do you prefer restaurants and apres after? Probably a bit more isolated up at Shiga. Easily enough to keep you busy for 4-5 days there.

9. Sandy

The lack of restaurants & apres is probably the main reason I don't suggest Shiga Kogen as a first Japanese snow experience.

10. M_G

Agreed. Hakuba just makes it easy for first timers, esp. coming from Kansai.

11. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sandy is one of the Japan experts and his recommendation re: Penke Panke Lodge in the Wadano area of Hakuba Happo-one is worth looking into. Good location, close to some easy beginner terrain but also near one lift which takes you higher up the mountain to more interesting slopes for an experienced skier. A friendly, affordable place, popular with Aussies but also international crew.

Jesse Tillman and Chaeron like this.
  12. silva

silva One of Us

If Hubby is a beginner then you need a good English speaking snowsports school.
    My recommendation would be lodge style accommodation where you can meet other people and get lots of information (in English)
    From personal experience Hakuba staying at Penke Panke with lessons at Evergreen is super easy - only drawback is that you need to take the bus to get to Evergreen Snowsports school.
    Would also highly recommend you look at Myoko - stay at Red Warehouse and get lessons from Myoko Snowsports - very highly recommended.
    Both these options will give you an easy, trouble free introduction to Japan skiing.

Jesse Tillman, M_G and nezumi like this.
  13. M_G

Agreed, Myoko would be a good choice too. But recommending Hakuba purely because of ease of access from Kansai.

Jesse Tillman and nezumi like this.
  14. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

When the guy who potentially stands to profit from you coming to Myoko recommends Hakuba - that's a pretty good indication that Hakuba is the better option for your needs. (You can alway visit Myoko in future years...)

15. slotele

slotele Hard Yards

Just booked for February at hailodge.com in Hakuba. Run by Gavin and Julia nice people, inexpensive ( 5000 yen per person / night ) and a 4 minute walk to the gondola / chairlift.
    The lodge is in Tsugaike which has an English speaking ski school and lots of beginner runs. Went there in Feb two years ago and almost had the place to ourselves the runs are soooo wide.
    It's a Japanese style location, not much western stuff around, the bar at Hai Lodge draws in a few people in the evenings.

Jesse Tillman and nezumi like this.
  16. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

That's a good end of the valley too ;).

Jesse Tillman and Mitchthewitch like this.
  17. winter

winter One of Us Ski Pass: 30 Day

I have travelled from Kansai to Myoko with no difficulty and a very scenic trip.
    I vote Myoko for a 1st trip. Fabulous mountain, English speaking wonderful ski school and hire, good accommodation options, smaller for your 1st trip and a great beginner area.
    I think its perfect for 5 days. You could potentially get overwhelmed with the size of the Hakuba valley with only 5 days. Keep your experience all together in a small, quaint town.

18. M_G

Well, Myoko (specifically Akakura Onsen) would work. Just not as close.
    Airport train to Shin-Osaka or Kyoto. From there you can go two ways:
    Express to Kanazawa, Shink to JoetsuMyoko, then shuttle up into Akakura Onsen
    Express to Nagano, local train to Myoko Kogen.

But it's all moot. According to her profile she hasn't been back since posting on Saturday. So we might all just be pissing in the wind! o_O:whistle:

nezumi and Amelia1810 like this.
  19. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Personally I cant see why Hakaba is realistically any closer/easier than Akakura Onsen from Osaka, but I have never done the route myself so just commenting theoretically.... As the crow flies its got maybe 30clicks on Myoko but if travelling by train then either way you go through Nagano right? From there it's probably similar travel time, one is a train one is a bus.

Not sure on the OP's flight arrangements but flying out of Tokyo would be easier than returning to Osaka.

It's just my opinion but Akakura Onsen (Myoko to many but not really correct) is a first timers delight. Plenty of budget accommodation, low crowd factor. Hire and repair shops everywhere, high quality lessons, very easy to walk to lifts, restaurants or the bus to Iki or Sugi and everything you need is within throwing distance. Hakaba may have a better Apres/nightlife if that's your scene (to my knowledge anyway).

M_G and Skichanger on here have accommodation options in Myoko, PM them if you need more info.

Jesse Tillman and M_G like this.
  20. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

If your husband is a beginner I would give Wadano a miss You will want to be spending time at Iimori for the ski school there which is still the best in the valley (Hakuba Snowsports) and after that places like Tsugaike and one of my favs Sanosaka. We suggest our guests give Happo a miss altogether unless they are solid intermediate or advanced. The beginner area at Happo which is Saka is small, often crowded and still a little steep and the ski school is not there. I would stay somewhere central near the many shuttles or stay somewhere like the Whitehorse that offers personal shuttles to resorts in the mornings. Echoland for the win or if you want to be away from the more, on occasion, rowdier elements and eat where locals do (Emu, Tottsun, Sumiya Jun etc) stay near the railway station. Yes Im biased as that's where we live and have our businesses but there is a reason why many local prominent people chose to live in that area, although I dont put myself in that group :)

LOTS happening out that way these days, Dave from Evergreen has bought a large hotel slopeside which has a bar as has Cam from the Phathouse. Another 2 friends have bought a very large place just down from the Gondy. That area is changing rapidly.

Donzah, Shrike and M_G like this.
  21. M_G

As far as the OP is concerned. I think...
    [​IMG]

Lucky Pete likes this.
  22. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I thought you were talking about skichanger hahaha

M_G likes this.
  23. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

[​IMG]

Hire a car.
    Ignore all the advice.
    You can't go wrong.

24. M_G

:whistle: It's been a long time inbetween drinks. Quite possible I guess.

25. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Wow I’m SO sorry everyone! I had notifications turned on but for some reason I got none! Just came in here to try posting again and saw all the replies! Thank you all so much will just read properly

Tanuki likes this.
  26. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

I’m so sorry! I got NO notifications of anyone replies! Hence the delay. We arrive into Osaka on the 11th Feb next year. And will probably only ski 3, maybe 4 days now we think about it. We leave on the 20th. basically after the cheapest accom that is not dorm style - our own room and facilities/bathroom. AirBnB in fine too. Would love to know both on snow and shuttle options - if not tooooo much difference would stay on snow but I’m not against a reasonable shuttle ride! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have 6 months till we leave and I’m starting to panic that nothing is booked or decided yet!

27. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Thank so much will look

28. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Awesome thank you

29. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Sounds great thanks will have a look

30. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

No - I just wasn’t getting ANY notifications so had no idea anyone had even posted these replies! I came back to post again and saw them all! :(

31. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Thank you very much. Flights already booked to and from Osaka so that can’t change. We don’t need heaps of nightlife options - just a small selection of decent places to eat would be great. The most important would be cost and ease of getting there. Keen for any info you may have. Thanks so much for your reply and sorry for the delay. As explained I want getting any notification so didn’t know any one had posted!

32. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Incorrect...lol. had I know I had replies I would have been back weeks ago!

33. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

I’ve just looked this place up. Seems great as long as we can get a private room. We will be so knackered after skiing it’s More a place to crash! Beside attracting a crowd is there any negatives I should know or should it be fine for hubby and myself you think? We are thinking now only 3-4 days skiing

34. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

One thing about Penke Panke lodge - if you’ve just spent the last week in Japan the number of Aussies there can be offputting. I didn’t really like it for that reason. I prefer more Japanese run places

35. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Good point thank you. I’d prefer that too. I looked at the other suggested place which was Hai Lodge but I’m not sure if it would be the same

36. Sandy

Depends what you want. If first time in Japan, it's good, because they do daily supermarket & onsen run.

Since I live in Japan, non Japanese are a novelty, which I don't mind!!! ;)
    And plus, I stay in quite a few Japanese places, and Japanese breakfasts get a bit tedious after a while...

LMB likes this.
  37. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Hai Lodge is much smaller and run by a lovely young Aussie couple, I would happily stay there if Echoland was where I wanted to be. The bottom line is if you are staying in Echoland, Happo or Wadano be prepared to be surrounded by international guests. If you want to be in Hakuba proper and have less of that, stay down by the railway station. Its a key reason I live in that area and why our businesses are based there. You walk to the supermarket etc so not reliant on the lodge for lifts etc and whilst it does not have the concentration of busy bars etc the restaurants are great and the Japanese bars are legit. Transport to all the resorts is a breeze to.

#36 Lucky Pete, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Annabuzzy likes this.
  38. Neoh JH

Neoh JH Hard Yards

My preferred way of getting to Hakuba from Kansai is to take the Thunderbird up to Kanazawa, spend a night there, then the Hokuriku shinkansen to Itoigawa and then the local train to Hakuba. It's a longer trip but Kanazawa is a lovely city for an overnight stop. The sushi and snow crab at the market is amazing and the old town is beautifully preserved.

If you don't wish to spend the night it's a 6 hour journey, versus 4 hours 40 if you catch the early train to Nagoya, but it's all covered by the JR Kansai Hokuriku pass, except the very last stretch to Hakuba, so it's cheaper than going through Nagoya.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hokuriku

Going via Nagoya: 26,000 yen return
    Going via Kanazawa : 15,000 + 480 yen and you can use the pass for 7 days, so you can use it to return to Kansai Airport as well.

39. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Thank you- can you please post any cheaper accommodation recommendations? Hai Lodge for a private room shared bathroom was 30,000yen. Something along those lines as all we are doing is sleeping there. I’m so used to simple single Aussie resorts this is doing my head in!

40. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Thank you - very helpful information!!

Maybe you can help a little more please? We fly in 7:30pm on the 11th. Was going to stay in Osaka? Then on the 12th travel to Hakuba, hopefully be able to ski a half day or night time there (maybe not by the sounds of it. Then ski 13, 14, 15th. Travel to Tokyo spend 16/17th there and then 18/19th Osaka flying out 9pm on the 19th. So you think it’s possible. How long is it from Kanazawa to Hakuba? That sounds like a nice idea that trip. Any advice is appreciated!

41. zarik

zarik Hard Yards

I will throw another suggestion. Nozawa onsen, great ski resort, probably most interesting village, lots of onsens as name suggests, tons of English speaking places to eat and drink. Ski school in English as well.

I recommend staying in the village and putting your gear in a locker you can rent near the lift. Easier to walk up. Town is a blast to just wonder around soak in random onsens, eat Oyaki(Apple one is awesome) have a beer, really fun experience

It is on Shinkansen line(short bus ride for Iyama station). Fastest way probably Shinkansen to Tokyo then transfer there? Might be a better way

42. Sandy

- About 3 hours Kanazawa to Hakuba.

- About 6+ hours to get from Osaka to Hakuba via Kanazawa.
    - About 5-5.5 hours via Matsumoto, depending on trains.
    - 4 hours 15 min via Tokyo + 1 hour bus.

Personally, I'd ditch the route via Kanazawa if you want to ski Hakuba in the afternoon.
    Instead, go from Osaka to Nagoya, and stay in Nagoya overnight.
    - Then catch the Ltd. Exp. (Wide View) Shinano 3 at 8.00am, arriving in Matsumoto at 10.06am. (this route is really nice)
    - Then the catch the Ltd. Exp. Azusa 3 from Matsumoto at 10.27am, arriving at Hakuba at 11.27am.
    (or you can also use same trains, but change at Shiojiri, arr. 9.53am, leave 10.13am)
    This route is only available with this speed and convenience, once a day.

If you stay in Osaka overnight, you can use the same route, but you need to leave Osaka around 6:30am and use Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka station to Nagoya.

#41 Sandy, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  43. M_G

Kanazawa is definitely worth a stopover but it depends on how keen you are to get to Hakuba and ski. If keen, do what Sandy suggests above OR you can catch an overnight ski bus from Osaka.

44. Sandy

Yes, in my view, if going through Kanazawa, you should really stay there a night or two, because there's some great stuff there.

45. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Wow thanks so much - really appreciate the time you took to write that! Will have a think abut which way to go. Thanks so much

46. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Going to look it up thank you

47. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Or stay in Kyoto (rather than Osaka)
    It's a easy trip on the airport train (Haruka)

person s likes this.
  48. Shrike

Shrike Hard Yards

See if the hakuba Station guest house has a room its the cheapest place in Hakuba and I stayed there for 3days last Feb, its pretty comfortable and you can still get to the resorts via shuttles (from train station or Hakuba hotel) which are a walk away.

49. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Thank you. So as I mentioned we arrive 7:30pm on the 11th. By the time we clear customs etc would it be easy enough for total Japan beginners to grab a train to Kyoto that night? And would that make it easier to get to Hakuba the following day? Or...man this is killing me lol!

50. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yes and yes.

51. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

I checked but unfortunately no!