1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

First time skiing Niseko tips

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Nisekotrip, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Nisekotrip

Nisekotrip First Runs

Hi,

My family of 3 (52, 27 and 23yo) has booked to stay in Niseko from Jan2-7 in 2020 and it will be our very first time skiing! We would really appreciate if anyone has advice about the ski schools there and which slopes/mountain area we should go to/ get lift passes for! Our hotel suggested private lessons with Niseko Black which is 80 000 yen for a full day lesson - does anyone have any other suggestions? We will be hiring ski gear from Rhythm. We are staying at Hyatt Hotel in Hirafu. Thank you so much for your help.

2. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You're staying at the Hyatt... get the concierge to sort you out...

Suggest perhaps you go for either a 'group' or 'group private' lesson in 2-2.5h blocks.
    Being 1st timers you won't need to stray from the 'ace quad' 'Holiday pair' / 'king pair' / 'ace pair' lift for first couple of days.

So go for the '12 point' pass for the first couple of days

('Ace quad' for 2 pts, the rest are 1pt.)

3. Any

Any One of Us

For most enjoyment lessons are a must.
    Private lessons are probably the fastest way to improve. But it is expensive. and im not sure, but its maybe a waste on absolute first time adults. adults are gumby uncoordinated slow learners, including myself :)
    Group lessons are the norm, and still get you there tho. Hirafu's group lesson ski schools (that i know of) are GoSnow, NBS, and Niseko Grand Hirafu Snow School.
    GoSnow is probably the biggest school in all of Niseko, NBS (ski japan) is pretty big too.
    I'd probably suggest lessons every day. you'll get to know your group and instructor. but maybe some half days later on for some non-lesson downtime to go and practice what you've been told.

GoSnow is based at the gondola, and starts first timers on a magic carpet, which is super easy. Then the Holiday Pair Lift, probably the Hirafu Gondola after that.
    Hirafu Snow School is based at the .base building, and will probably start you on the Ace Family Quad Lift #1 and then Ace Quad Lift #2 Center 4.
    I've never bought a points pass before, but I think its a good suggestion from @Hermannator because your first laps will be super slow. I don't think the magic carpet even requires a lift pass.
    You can see a map of Hirafu and the lifts here https://www.niseko.ne.jp/en/map/grand-hirafu/ which includes the number of points per run.

I would avoid walking uphill with all the gear. Its torture. Walking across hill isn't so bad tho.
    There is shuttle bus transport around town, but if I can easily walk to the lifts I almost always do that instead.
    If you go Hirafu ski school, for your first day you'd want transport up to .base (there are public shuttles but Hyatt probably have their own private ones). But after your first day you could just walk across 300-400m ish to the base of the Ace Family Quad Lift #1 and take the lift up.
    If you go GoSnow, same again you'd want transport your first day. But afterwards you could walk to Ace Family Quad, and then depending on your progression take Ace Quad #2 and ski to the gondola, or, walk across the welcome center carpark and take the stairs up to the base of King Pair Lift #1 and just ski down to the Gondola. note, for someone on their 2nd day, skiing from top of ace2 to gondola is probably quite a task and could be quite time consuming, you wouldn't want to be late for lesson.

Rhythm opened a fancy new rentals building only yesterday. It's where those 7 trees are to the right of "welcome center" on that map. Maybe walk there and they can provide transport back im pretty sure.
    Rhythm's old building is still open, not sure if they're renting from there or not. Its uh, the green roof under Hotel Niseko Alpen on that map. There are other better maps, that one has streets that dont even exist lol. You could walk there and back from Hyatt easy. Warning, you walk past hot chef on the way. Its Japanese law that you must buy fried chicken if you walk past a hot chef, lawson or 711.
    note, you don't rent thermals, goggles, gloves, socks (need to go up above your shin), balaclavas, facemasks or helmets. thought I'd mention it because I often see absolute first timers turn up without. might need to do some shopping when you get here or before you head out.

I'm not sure if ski schools require helmets, or if that's just for kids only.
    also, if you train, do not take the train to Hirafu! someone's gonna die out there some day, no joke. get off at Kutchan.

You should read through https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/niseko-2020.84268/
    and the monster thread https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/japan-2020-planning-and-stuff.83974/
    for more information. Its ok to geek out and read about everything. Maybe even familiarize yourself with the niseko united trail map.

Most importantly, just remember that if you're not crashing, you're not trying hard enough :)

#3 Any, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  4. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hyatt House?

You are staying in a great location with good coffee!

I agree, not sure Private is the best way to spend your $$$

Its a straight walk across from Hyatt house to the ace family lift. you will be fine. I don't think Hyatt house have a shuttle.

Rhythm is great for rentals. but you will want to take a shuttle there and back.

5. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

NBS also does group lessons.

Any likes this.
  6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Hyatt house is my neighbour.

There is a Rhythm hire desk inside the building (well was up until I was last there in September, so should still be there).

Hyatt House have shuttles - use them. The bus is crowded at that time of year, and walking even the shortish distance to the family lift in ski boots when you’re not used to it is pure torture and you’re at risk of slipping over as you get used to them and juggling gear.

Points passes are a great idea if you might be a one lift Charlie, or if each run takes you an age to do. Start with a points pass and if you find you go through it quickly do the math on a day pass or consecutive day pass. You can carry a spare points pass in one of those RFID blocking sleeves) if you’re worried about running out mid lesson.

Have fun!!
    And remember every that every gun skier you see on the hill was also a beginner once.

Annabuzzy and Any like this.
  7. Any

Any One of Us

I was talking to someone just before, and it turns out GoSnow have a presence at the Ace Family Quad with another magic carpet there too.

LMB likes this.
  8. LMB

They sure do.
    Used to be the NBS stronghold but GoSnow have managed to get base locations with magic carpets at both bases and also lift priority.

9. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Only ski a couple hours each day for the 1st few days. Onsen, relax in afternoons. Will GREATLY reduce your chances of injury and you will improve the quickest.

mannyk and skifree like this.
  10. sourmash

sourmash One of Us

11. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I don’t think Go Snow are the ants pants, but they’re certainly fine. Good maybe even. What they are though is the dominant ski school at Hirafu with priority lift access generally denied to other schools. I would use them.

I also think half day group lessons for the week are optimum. I just think skiing as part of a group of similar ability level is a better, more fun way to learn. Not only do you learn to get better, but you enjoy the shared experience of the group, and make new friends (if only for the week) along the way. If you only do a half day you still get to spend the other half of the day with the family.

I love the cafe at Hyatt House. For that reason it’s possibly the prime location in Hirafu

12. LMB

Green Farm Cafe?
    Yeah, they rock.
    Good people.
    Great coffee
    Power points along the window benches.
    Excellent food options.
    The Wagu Burger is outstanding.
    Often crazy busy in Jan and Feb.

13. Nisekotrip

Nisekotrip First Runs

Wow thank you so much everyone for all of your advice and tips! We appreciate it so much!

14. Nisekotrip

Nisekotrip First Runs

Can anyone recommend either White liner bus versus the public Niseko bus/Chuo bus to get to the Hirafu Welcome Centre? Is there a difference in comfort or time as the price is more for white liner? Also if anyone has any favourite restaurants to book early on in Niseko that would be amazing because we love food! Will definitely check out the Green Farm Cafe :D

15. Any

Any One of Us

you get what you pay for.
    white liner is a bus liner. comfy seats, you load up your luggage underneath, sit back in comfy recliner seats, curtains, dimly lit so you can sleep, and eventually arrive.
    public buses are public buses. no luggage storage, plastic seats, fluorescent lighting, and stop at every bus stop between you and your destination.

16. Nisekotrip

Nisekotrip First Runs

Thank you for that! Will definitely pay the extra :D

17. LMB

I’ve always been happy with Whiteliner except the one time when sons flight was delayed and they moved him to a later bus AND charged him again. If I’ve had flight delays in the past they just rebooked it, no charge.

There is also Niseko Resort Liner, it’s similar to the Whiteliner but it goes via Rusutsu first, so takes a little longer.

18. MrT

MrT Hard Yards

LMB likes this.
  19. LMB

HME rock. Most instructors are dual cert, minimum level 3 and have some level of formal avalanche or guide training, and the majority come back year upon year. The term “you get what you pay for” runs true. They’re not cheap but the cost/benefit ratio usually stacks up. There are other companies in Niseko that run on the same philosophy but I can’t personally vouch for them as I haven’t used them because I just keep going back to HME for all my private guiding and instruction needs for myself and others.

I did go through Black Diamond for my AST1 - they were excellent and would also use them again if HME weren’t available.

Edited to add:
    Both Japan Powder Connection and Niseko Academy also have similarly high standards for their instructors, and great people involved. (Just trying to be more well rounded in my praise)

#19 LMB, Dec 12, 2019 at 9:54 PM
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019 at 9:22 AM
    MrT likes this.