1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

First time to Charlotte Pass

Discussion in 'Charlotte Pass' started by JusSki, Jul 15, 2012.

1. JusSki

JusSki First Runs

Hi all,

I'm really looking for some info about Skiing at Charlotte Pass (usually ski Thredbo). My wife and I have never been there in season, don't know what the accommodation is like, what the ski school is like for kids, is there a child care centre (for my 1.5 yo) etc etc. We have 3 kids, 6yo, 4yo, 1.5yo.

We are thinking that CP offers a good family friendly environment, ski in ski out opportunities and having browsed the CP website, love the idea of one price includes everything (acc, all meals, lift + o/snow transport), low numbers in resort sounds good. Thinking of taking kids out of school and going down late July or August.

I'm looking for advice/guidance/comments, particularly about:

* experience/comments re different accommodation lodges/hotel
    * what the meals are like at the different accommodations. were they suitable for kids?
    * wifi available? is it free with accommodation? is it any good?
    * room configurations (preference is for adjoining rooms)

* ski hire
    * ski school for kids (6yo, 4yo) - is this an additional cost?
    * ski school for my wife (she's had 10yo off) - is this an additional cost?

* day care for 1.5yo
    * facilities for kids at different accommodation
    * general facilities at CP (shop to buy forgotten essentials, nibbles, drinks etc...)
    * what to do (particularly with kids) when lifts on wind hold
    * ideas for keeping kids entertained in bad weather

* quality of runs
    * if the chair is on wind hold, is it likely that the Tbar and pommer would be too?
    * can you park at Perisher for your stay or do you have to park at Ski Tube
    * comparison with ski runs between Thredbo and CP (for example is it similar to Merits? I've only ever skied Thredbo)? I'm aware that the runs are short.

* anything else?

Many thanks to anyone who replies, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

JusSki //

2. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

like all places has good points and bad points. search the forums for comments about the resort manager. hopefully that is in the past.
    As a thredbo skier you will be a little bored, unless you have a big bunch of friends to entertain you.
    Your kids will love it!
    No idea of day care.
    a small UHF radio will reach all the resort so you can always be in contact with your kids.
    Park as ski tube and get oversnow from the terminal. Make sure you book your time.
    Take a hike and visit the ruins of the stillwell interchange of the old CP chair lift. Then ski back.

3. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Probably best to PM SAGO for his insightful comments on the place. Don't stay at the chalet, its more like faulty towers than is comfortable.

Of the commercial offerings Stilwell is probably the best place, but there are plenty of club lodges that sometimes have availability for non members.

I dont know about being bored, depends if when at thredbo, you ski the whole mountain or you ski a couple of favourite areas.

Charlotte has a LOT to offer, particularly for families.

4. JusSki

JusSki First Runs

Thanks Nidecker for your comments and thank you Shrek too.

I've researched the packages offered and the Chalet is by far the most expensive. I take your comments on board Nidecker about that.

I've calculated some of the prices of the lodges with all the add-ons for the tube, hire, lifts, o/snow etc... and it works out a bit expensive. For example I've calculated an example as follows:

Accommodation (lodge): $5300 (averaged out price for my family)
    Ski Hire $ 628
    Lift $1392
    Lessons $ 557
    O/snow $ 280
    Tube $ 198
    TOTAL $8355

Compared with the KCH for a week which costs $11,228

Some of the lodge websites have fantastic photos and you can get a real sense of the environment, the lodges and the slopes and how fantastic it would be for kids.

I like Shrek's idea of 2-ways for the kids to keep an eye on them too.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    JusSki //

5. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

JusSki - there are various deals at the Chalet during July and probably in August if you ask Rachael nicely.

http://www.charlottepass.com.au/deals

There are Lodge deals at Jerrabomberra - a very nice Lodge. http://ski.com.au/packages/ski_6527/great_opening_specials_at_charlotte_pass.html

And Knockshannoch has some deals going contact them via

knockshannoch@ozemail.com.au
    www.ski.com.au/knockshannoch

It's a lovely lodge that is perfect for ski-in ski-out.

The benefit though of the Chalet is that it includes kids club.

You can hire gear at CP - but it's top price but easy. Otherwise hire off mountain and take up with you.

We use to stay at Cooma overnight and get on an early oversnow and get the full benefit of the 6 or 8 days ticket.

From what I've heard lunch is now included in most Chalet packages - just ask for lunch vouchers to be included.

The ski school is great for kids learning.

You can take a radio phone with you to stay in touch - or just call down from the chair to your kids as they pass underneath. As long as they don't go over to Gutheries is pretty hard to lose sight of them. However from 3 onwards I keep them on a short leash as there is often hardly anyone around so good to know where they are.

If you get a good week of weather and everything is open - it's a great on snow experience - and dinner at the Chalet is among some of the best food available. And make sure you get a room upstairs facing the mountains - not downstairs in RM 101 or 102 etc.

Enjoy!

#5 rocketboy, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  6. Nidecker

We have used a cheap 2 way radio with our daughter up there, and at other ski resorts for the last couple of years, works well.

You can look here http://www.sasc-aus.com/southern-alps-availability/ at our lodge, for availability, my wife would argue, some of the best food anywhere in the snow, includes lunch in the price. (No kids club though)

Pretty sure the kids club at the Chalet is open to outsiders??

Sago runs a lodge, that may also accept temporary members.

Regarding children, even at age 5/6 we were comfortable letting our young one ski the poma/magic carpet area by herself (or with a friend) this is a very different situation to any other ski resort in Australia, with the exception of possibly Mt Selwyn. Additionally, and I can't stress this enough, there is NO other resort experience like Charlotte Pass in AUS. Starting with the oversnow transport ride, your children will be mesmerised at being surrounded by snow (as I expect will be the adults too) Then whilst you are there you really are in a snowbound village for a the duration. It's kind of like that feeling you get when you go and stay on an island. I've never really understood the resort owners/managers inability to capitalise on this, it's almost as though it's seen by the punters as a disadvantage?

I would recommend to anyone, regardless of the relative costs, to try CP village at least once. It's a pretty amazing experience.

#6 Nidecker, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  7. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Kids Club is open to anyone - but it's included in the cost of staying at the Chalet and kids can come and go during the day if the parent's have ticked the box allowing such.

Chalet guest kids can also use Kids Club after dinner - which is a real plus for families with younger kids. The teens can go watch TV or play pool.

This means you get 5.30pm - 9pm free of kids. After Kids club closes they can come down to the restaurant and eat your desert or get a coke in a fancy glass bottle. Just don't let them in when you still have the main course on your table - as they'll eat it.

8. Ian

Ian Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

JusSki.

Charlottes is perfect for your kids 6 & 4 and 1.5, you and especially your very much better half. :)

Remember, if your kids are happy, your wife will be happy. If you go fully catered she won't have to lift a finger.

My demon spawn started at those ages and they are now very enthusiastic social skiiers, my wife would say obsessed.

The runs may be short but the ski-in ski-out means you can whip out and crank a few runs in, in the time it takes wifey to do a breastfeed, cuddle and nappy change!

Practice your off piste on Guthries. Try alpine touring out the back.

PM me when you've been there and are interested in joining a family club, I know a good one ;-)

July 2011

[​IMG]

#8 Ian, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    alferg likes this.
  9. jrr

jrr Hard Yards

All my 4 kids have learnt to ski at Charlotte's & I too can't recommend it highly enough. It is unique in Australia & still my favourite resort, short runs & all...

They've all been there when aged in months rather than years, indeed, 2 of them in utero ;-)

The one qualification I'd make is that Kids Club, whilst open (at a price) to anyone does demand that the kids are toilet trained. It's many a year since that was a concern with mine, but I'm pretty sure 18 months was still a smelly time...

p.s. I reckon our club, Snowbird, has the best food !

10. Nidecker

Doubt that its even close to the food at SASC [​IMG] [​IMG]

#10 Nidecker, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  11. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty

Or..TGG...

Sago likes this.
  12. toxicfox

toxicfox Hard Yards

Hi Juski,
    our boy started at 4 yrs at CPV, and we did about 6 yrs in a row with him. From what I've heard the food in ALL the lodges is good [​IMG]. The Chalet does have free skiing in July (when booked with a package) but August is the peak month and this is when most lodges are full. Still try and contact them for availability. Most are listed here on Ski.com.au and some on the Charlottepass.com.au website (I think)
    Wifi is good around the resort, we use airlan and buy cards from Stilwell. I don't think the Chalet offers complimentary wifi ? The lodges are like big houses mostly with rooms all together, the booking people can tell you if they have internal doors linking rooms.
    Check the CPV website for ski hire and ski school prices. We had to pay for kids lessons at that age (lessons are for 1.5 hrs and run Mon-Fri) Didnt have to pay for the carpet lift but your 6 yr old will be on the other lifts quick enough. Instructors have always been friendly and good with kids at CPV (I taught my boy for the first 2 seasons- he was more interested in the lift workings than the skiing) Mum at the top of the carpet and me at the bottom or with him on the way down)
    The guys on here can tell you about kid facilities at they're lodges, but generally the place caters for kids in an old fashioned way. We dont have a tv or PS3/xbox, its cards, boardgames, snowball fights and building jumps. We sometimes bring a portable DVD player for the kids (and movies or cartoons) but not this time. We watch the wind and snow in bad weather, sit by the fire and relax. The shop doesnt have much this year, you will struggle to get milk ($9 a carton) even as a Chalet guest, but thats not a problem in the managed lodges.
    The runs are what they are, you may get bored by the end of a week but the kids won't. The runs are short but the so are the lift lines (mostly) The T bar will run when the chair is on wind hold, the basin (baby) poma should always run. The place is a bowl, so runs are steeper at the top and flatten out at the bottom, more consistent fall lines on the T Bar and Guthries Poma, and kids will love the back track.
    SkiTube is what we use, but have used Sawpit Mick when we had a parks pass. Meet him at Sawpit, he then drives up in your car to Perisher and picks you up when you get off the sowcat.
    Nothing else at the moment, other than grooming is heaps better this year, staff are friendly and helpful. And we need some more snow to top up the cover.

#12 toxicfox, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  13. Nidecker

Hey JusSki did you go skiing yet???

Where did you go?

Whilst CP would still be my pick for you, Mt Selwyn (staying at providence portal) would be a great option for the next couple of weeks.