Trip Report First Time Up Dead Horse Gap Trail 6-7th August 2016

Vanders

Hard Yards
Jul 25, 2015
Newcastle
The missus and I headed up Dead Horse Gap trail for the first time last weekend, and were very shocked at how our office bodies weren't quite up to scratch. We had a lot of fun, weather on Saturday night was -10C according to BOM (Thredbo AWS) which left some good ice inside the H'berg.
The weather was amazing and the cover was great. We dug out our vestibule for a kitchen which is a great luxury.
The snow was... a result of the recent weather. Hard crust almost everywhere, very icy in the areas which didn't get much sun. Tough going in a few areas with a pack on.

We went as far as Rams Head mtn, but couldn't explore much more as the drive to/from Newcastle took too much time already.

We were both trying out new equipment from Wilderness Sports in Jindy.
The missus - testing AT for the first time, and she had a great time.
Myself - Trying NTN for the first time, and followed Bruce's suggestion for Rottefella Freerides. They were ok, the skins were a little narrow, and slipped on a lot of hard pack. The range of movement with the Freerides wasn't as great as I'd hoped, even with 'tour' mode on (yes I know its a resort binding), and the ski brakes are great. I'm keen to try the Outlaws, but maybe next time.

20160807_134921.jpg
20160806_100553.jpg
20160806_123237.jpg
20160806_150415.jpg
20160806_151250.jpg

AndrewA

One of Us
Jun 26, 2012
Melbourne
The dug out "snow kitchen" concept is one of those nice bonuses with the extended vestibule of the Hilleberg's. Did you leave the inner tent behind?! I'm sure that made for a colder night!

A

Vanders

Hard Yards
Jul 25, 2015
Newcastle
The dug out "snow kitchen" concept is one of those nice bonuses with the extended vestibule of the Hilleberg's. Did you leave the inner tent behind?! I'm sure that made for a colder night!

A

My wife sure knows how I'm in love with the Hilleberg!
Yep, we left the inner behind and saved the weight for this trip. It was worth trying out in these conditions. The inside of the entire tent was covered in a sparkly ice sheen, and yes, we did feel the chill at -10C until we warmed our bags. I think we spent >12hrs in them! From around 5:30 when the sun hit the mountain tops, until breakfast...

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Agree Freeride are not a good touring binder, the Freedom is much better, more pivot and much lighter. Love the Freerides inbounds though.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass