Trip Report First time visitors observations

Discussion in 'Selwyn' started by Adelaide Snow, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Adelaide Snow

Adelaide Snow Hard Yards

Visited Selwyn for the first time and thought for the benefit of others that I'd share some of my observations and experience.
    Firstly, as a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, we really enjoyed the day and will return next week. (We stay at Jindabyne each year and usually just visit Thredbo.)
    Whilst the general experience was good, it could be even better with only a few minor improvements by the resort.
    Buying the lift tickets took longer than you would expect - allow anything between 15 and 30 minutes. We didn't need to hire equipment but this looked fairly time consuming and a bit haphazard-suggest also look at hiring in the local towns if you have that option to avoid waisting snow time.
    No piste maps anywhere- it's not a big hill and after a few hours in good visibility you probably don't need them but for first timers, would have helped. Eg we ended up at the bottom of the green run Long Arm but then realised after it was too late that the only way to return to the village was via the rather daunting Race Course T bar. My 9 year old in tears wanting to walk up rather than tackle the T bar but thankfully managed to convince him to have a go. Wouldn't have taken Long Arm run with him if I'd known but the run was excellent and if you can deal with T bars, highly recommend it.
    Walking back to the car park at the end of the day, the same 9 year old wanted to have a couple of runs on the toboggan course. Turns out you need to pay an additional $10 on top of the lift ticket. I get the idea of charging separately for non skiers but why not include as part of the full lift ticket? I wasn't paying an additional $10 per child for only a few runs. The tubing next to the toboggan area looked great fun.
    Contrary to some other posts, we didn't find the chemical smell of the composting toilets that overpowering inside, but you could just about smell them outside the building. Not that bad, but not the clean mountain air that you might expect. Happily, the toilets were fairly clean.
    We didn't book lessons but 2 others near us both complained that their instructor hadn't turned up. Don't know how that ended up and whether that was a one off or a misunderstanding by the learner group. Saw other instructors around the hill and looked very professional.
    They have signs up in the cafe saying not to reserve tables but completely ignored- lots of eskys and stuff left on tables with no one there, both inside and outside. Whilst the option of bringing your own food helps to keep costs down, it was very disappointing that even if you are buying food you can't easily find a table. Next time, I might reluctantly just move gear that has been 'abandoned' so that I can sit to eat my lunch.
    The food on offer was fairly consistent with cafe food at the other ski hills here in NSW and VIC. $5 for a bucket of chips and the usual range of burgers etc.
    The car park is properly tarred and close to the buildings so easy to pop back and get stuff. Was only half full when we visited but guess it would be different at weekends and school holidays. A sign says to approach the car park attendant if you are disabled but didn't see any attendant. Maybe just a marked disabled badge space(s) near the entrance would work better? We did see the National Park ranger checking park passes.
    The lifties were all friendly but only one at top and bottom compared with 2 or more at the other hills. Given the beginner nature of skiers, another liftie at each chair might have been safer and helped give the younger kids more help.
    All the runs are forgiving and the snow was excellent when we visited. Definitely a great place for a day or two, whether your family is just starting to ski or just wanting to play in the snow. Kids will easily gain confidence on the wide open slopes.
    Happy to recommended but don't feel that the resort is at its fullest potential.

Jacko4650, IAB, Belly and 3 others like this.
  2. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

3. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass: Gold

4. skifree

:)
    You know your list will be hollow without this lift ticket.

And don’t leave out Corrin Forest.:)

5. dayzoff

dayzoff One of Us

A very skinny profit margin at Selwyn and most seasons are much shorter than the majors. They have to cut a few corners on the bling or there would be no Selwyn for anyone to experience. Taking your esky up to Selwyn is an institution. It's first in best dressed up there, you won't change that traidition anytime soon. They have a trail map on their website, download it to a phone. It is 2018.

Kash, Belly, Bogong and 4 others like this.
  6. Adelaide Snow

Adelaide Snow Hard Yards

I wouldn't expect the traditional of booking your table for the entire day with your esky to stop for the outside tables but given they have signs up in the cafe area saying not to, is it too much to expect a seat when buying hot food?. Fair enough if they are being used but when their vacant, presumably it's acceptable to use the tables regardless of the esky bring there?
    As for piste maps, if they don't want to provide them, maybe remove the holders and have a few more signs around on the hill. Given they still use paper lift tickets, they could print a small piste map on the ticket.
    My observations are offered for other first time visitors who might not understand or expect how things work at Selwyn. I'm definitely going back but will be better prepared next time.

climberman, mauricem and Bogong like this.
  7. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

I went there in the last week of the season last year. To be fair, the kids had a great time, but I was bored within about 30 min, and I couldn't even parallel turn at the time. There were only two or three runs open, which was a big part of why I was bored. Also, I bought food there and was rather underwhelmed with the selection available.

I had pre-booked lift tickets and hire gear for the kids, and even then found that the whole set-up was time-consuming and poorly organised. My son ended up being late to his lesson, despite me getting us up there 45 minutes before we were due to start, and there only being one family in front of us.

Mstr 7's 2 hour snowboarding group lesson turned into a 1 hour private lesson because he was the only one booked in. I ended up going and paying for another hour for him, and he had a good time. It was a good opportunity for him to work on his skills and progression. Mstr 9 and I went skiing together while Mstr 7 was having his lessons.

Overall, I'd rate Selwyn for beginners and families wanting to go to the snow cheaply. I'll admit that my experience was somewhat coloured by the fact that it was the end of the season, and the resort was obviously winding down operations. I would have liked to try some more of the blue runs, or even the black runs, but I suspect that all of the runs are a little on the short side.

8. skifree

Black runs?

Ozgirl likes this.
  9. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

Not 1, not 2, but 3 black runs!!!

[​IMG]

cin and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  10. skifree

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  11. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them

Am I allowed to use the t-bar or do I have to skin up ??? :D

12. skifree

A lift assessment is also required.

13. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Hard Yards

I use the lifts when passing through to do backcountry, they don't seem to mind (or perhaps don't check?). No card/gate system, they still use paper ticket.

14. crackson

crackson A Local

One and a half.

You can't draw two black lines down the same run and advertise it as two.

Even the trail map is written by a dodgy ...

15. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Hard Yards

There is a Groupon $50 lift pass deal for Selwyn. Print the voucher out as Selwyn don’t scan phone codes.

16. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...

@Sean Sunley, I owe you a coffee/beer if I ever meet you for putting up the post on the Charlotte Pass Groupon deal. Several of us had a ball with that!

Sean Sunley likes this.
  17. chicski

chicski One of Us

I have 3 $60 shop a dockets here too. Kid thinking of doing a trip with her friends.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  18. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

lol , Pigs and Racecourse are the same run just opposite sides of the T with slightly different terrain in parts and to be honest are almost but not quite blue runs , more bluey/greeny at any other ski field in Aussie. They are also quite short in reality and I am still trying to work out how Galahs could get a blue rating let alone black when it actually has snow on it. In fact I would say in reality the whole place is green when compared to anywhere else but I guess they need to classify what they have somehow. If your at all anything from Intermediate and up then you wont find anything at Selwyn challenging.
    However with that said Selwyn still serves a purpose. It is a good place to introduce youngsters or even first time beginner adults to both snow and skiing/boarding because there really isn't anything that can get you into any serious trouble nor is there anything particularly scary ( with maybe the exception being those with a fear of T Bars) so a beginner can very quickly gain the confidence levels necessary to try different things and improve. It is also a good first port of call for those coming back to skiing/boarding after many years absence as well as those whose confidence has been shot because of serious injury , eg my wife has spent a couple of weekends at Selwyn after major knee reco surgery.
    Trail maps aren't really required either , you can see the whole place pretty much from the top of Township and I think there is a map at the front entrance. The lunchtime problem is actually an institution which can be made worse by large school groups occupying the lower level. When I am there I eat outside and just remove eskies etc and place them next to the table. I have never had a problem with the owners of the eskies either.

19. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Hard Yards

No worries, I'm using mine next week. It's only tiny but will be a pleasant change after many days at Thredbo.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  20. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Pig’s Gully is genuine darkish blue I reckon for about 3 turns. The rest of that area is easy blue at other resorts as @Kelpieboy said.

Im a former kids instructor and taught my kids at Selwyn over a total of probably 10-12 days for three very enjoyable seasons in the early 2010s. Now they ski anything anywhere. I reckon their easy intro to the sport at Selwyn helped build a really solid technical platform.

I will also say this about Selwyn. When there’s fresh snow, you get freshies all day :D

Had an amazing time one day tracking out Meadows run and Galahs Gully all day, while the intermediates and beginners avoided the bottomless snow. Well, boot deep. Ok ankle deep but it was still sweet!

Kash, IAB, Untele-whippet and 6 others like this.
  21. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Great thread. With a 3.5 year old, Im thinking that Selwyn might be a great place to introduce her and let the 7 and 6 year old potentially try snowboarding for the first time!

Great tips about not hiring gear on the mountain at Selwyn. Sounds like a major stuff around.

crackson, Belly and Kelpieboy like this.
  22. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

As most of the posters here have said , first timers, beginners are what its about at Selwyn , perfect for it.
    In regards hiring gear at Selwyn , its pretty standard fare for on mountain hiring , there is always a hassle no matter where you go. If you need to hire stuff its better to do it at leisure somewhere off mountain as long as you have the ability to travel with skis and boards.

23. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

I always found kids hire at Thredbo a seamless experience. In and out in 10 mins even on weekends in peak. They have far more staff though. Downside with hiring off mountain is that you cant easily switch gear if any dramas, or to change between skiing and boarding.

seak likes this.
  24. crackson

crackson A Local

Yes, but, you can actually walk into any hire shop with any hire gear and get top shelf help. It's a collective response from the industry to ensure everyone has the best time possible.

It all balances out in the end as all the shops know and help each other out.

At the end of the season they all get together and return each others gear that was taken to the wrong shops.