1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

First Timer Thredbo Trip 4 kids!

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by dammit, May 29, 2018.

1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If you decide to drive to Dead Horse Gap you could keep going all the way to Khancoban. The scenery and drive is stunning

2. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

My advice, if they dont come good, ACCC, and threaten a massive FB barrage/war. Rape and pillage tactics are surely not legal, and if they are they shouldnt be, and that is one time social media can be of benefit. It is a ludicrous claim to say that you would not refund for a service that you can not provide. I would honestly be most surprised if it should come to that though, after all, they have had the use of your money all this time too.

LMB and zac150 like this.
  3. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Threaten them with the banking royal Commission.

zac150 and telecrag like this.
  4. dammit

dammit Hard Yards

So thredbo has decided to pull the pin on Thredboland for the long weekend - they said there is no snow and will be no skiing/snowboarding, lifts won't be open etc. They are providing a full refund on the kids lessons fee. Accommodation - they won't refund but will allow change of date/credit - shame not on the refund but I guess it could be worse..at least they offering a date change :/

LaNeige, LMB, Lifes2good and 4 others like this.
  5. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds like a good outcome if deferring your trip to later in the season works for you :D.

6. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

Take the date change and be happy about it although there will most likely be a limited set of dates available to you , probably like for like towards the end of the season. They may even let you pay the difference and book something in peak season.
    I always found that August/September was better weather for taking young ones , especially September as there is more likelihood of sunny days and not as much wind.

Be aware that if you are taking a non 4WD vehicle into the KNP(NSW) then you MUST carry chains that fit the vehicle.

LMB likes this.
  7. Legs Akimbo

Not to Thredbo you don't.

LaNeige, climberman and Sage Oya like this.
  8. telecrag

IMO accommodation is very different to the skischool, so all fair enough I reckon, and what I would have expected. Opening is a great time to be there, I sometimes take the wife (who doesnt ski) on that weekend, go for walks, eat out, have a few bevvies etc.

I note from another thread, our wives have the same birthday @Donzah

Donzah likes this.
  9. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm getting mine a poo kit for her birthday

10. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Kinky.

Snow Blowey likes this.
  11. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

IMO you could do worse than book the following weekend. Looks like a snowy week coming up.

Donzah likes this.
  12. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

Sorry but your wrong

Road quality
    Snow chains:

The Roads and Maritime Service (RMS) recommends snow chains are carried by all vehicles driving in the park in winter, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Visit the Live Traffic website for current conditions.

It’s compulsory for all 2WD vehicles to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, in the Thredbo-Perisher area. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.

Taken directly from NPWS site , also states it on the page of my locals yearly pass.

13. Legs Akimbo

Which bit of:
    • Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
    is causing you geographical embarrassment?

14. Snow Blowey

15. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I’m surprised they let you out of the accommodation as Thredbo don’t own the alpine apartments so someone is losing out.

But it is a good outcome for you.

If you are changing dates I would try and sort this tomorrow as I know our unit (same development) is booked solid from this weekend till October

Sage Oya likes this.
  16. Donzah

government endorsed

telecrag likes this.
  17. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

They recommend it between Jindabyne and Thredbo, but there is no designated snow and ice risk area east of Thredbo. The old RTA looked to change that (particularly at Penderlea) but it was howled down.
    The roads are RMS roads now, not NPWS roads.

18. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

Its not my geographical embarrassment I would think unless your saying you cant get to Thredbo via the Alpine Way from KC ? When did I last drive up that way , was it Monday , yes I think it was Monday and I am almost certain as I looked to my left I could see Thredbo as I drove past. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

19. Donzah

should be mandatory chains from park entry

Kelpieboy and zac150 like this.
  20. climberman

The OP is driving from Sydney.

zac150 likes this.
  21. climberman

Marginal swinging seat.

Anyway, you actually need them much, much less than on the Kosciuszko Rd, given the lower altitude.

22. Legs Akimbo

But, on the way from Jindabyne to Thredbo did you pass Tom Groggin? If you did you were definitely going the loooooong way round.

Although, as Kansas City seems to have been on your itinerary, anything is possible. What is KC?

zac150 likes this.
  23. dammit

dammit Hard Yards

yeah this is what worries me - as I am suspecting if I take the credit and change the dates, it could be either

a) no accom left, esp as other dates aren't that easy for me to come by (my family not as flexible as I would like)

b) price difference - we paid $400/night --- for a 3 bedroom apartment, in July, August, I see 2 bed for $1200 a night?! So I imagine it is going to be triple the cost per night ? What would I expect to pay generally for another weekend e.g. school hol's or otherwise, in the good part of the season?

I am seriously contemplating going ahead for the long w/e anyway - they said there is no snow at village though but maybe we can stumble across a little patch somewhere for the kids to play...

Out of both the Scenic Chairlift which goes to Merritts, and Koscisuzko Express Chairlift - which goes to Eagles Nest - will both be operating? Which is better? I think the Koscisuzko one is a quad lift, what about the Scenic Chairlift?

I am wondering if they let us on a quad lift as 2 adults, 4 kids given ages 6,4, 3, 2 - or if we can go one adult each with 2 kids...on a separate chair. Just thinking about whether that might be an option to get up higher to introduce the kids to some snow.

Driving to DHG etc - I assume still unlikely to see any snow? Given the elevation isn't high enough?

24. Legs Akimbo

Go. There will be stuff happening and the kids will have a great time. The Kossie Express goes to Eagles Nest. They will sort out how you are split up, but it will almost certainly be one adult and 2 kids on each chair. They are really good with kids and will slow the chair down (as a detachable it is already slow) for loading and unloading. There may be patches of snow up high. Snow at Dead Horse Gap is unlikely.

25. zac150

$400 a night is close to summer pricing, you could easily double that and some a night in peak. The units go for circa $6k a week.

There are currently a few small patches of snow on Friday flat and I believe there are decent patches of snow on Signature Hill up behind eagles nest.

On Friday Flat nobody will stop you making a snow man or throwing snow balls. Thredbo staff seriously have better things to do.

I doubt the Merritts chair will run so it will be the Kosci express running. They will let you go one adult and two kids per chair. If you get to the top, walk past eagles nest toward Kosci and you will see signature hill and snow drifts. You will have a ball playing on these. Don’t forget a thermos as the kids will love hot chocs on the snow to warm them up.

We use a toboggan like this you can get them from eBay (Sydney) for about $15 and they will fit in a back pack, read you will have no hassles taking them on the chairlift. Pick a drift out the back and you won’t have a drama with staff. (Try and use them in the village is a different story).

Hope this helps

LMB and Sage Oya like this.
  26. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think they will be running the Merrits double chair is the cruiser areas isn't open so i think scenic rides would be limited to the Kosciuszko express. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

27. Snow Blowey

This is your best friend in planning your weekend:

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/thredbo.shtml

There will be snow up high after saturday so a ride up kosie express lift (the scenic chair) will get you up there. Looks feral on saturday but becoming better sunday and monday. Theres an eatery up there that i would imagine would be open if scenic rides are the only thing going.

Eagles nest is 600m higher than the village so dress for cold even if its ok at the bottom.

zac150 likes this.
  28. zac150

Sunday looks great for snowplay, but as snowy says rug up

29. CIRCA1962

CIRCA1962 Hard Yards

There is always plenty to do at Thredbo without snow. You may be lucky enough to even get some snow flurries on Saturday morning. If looking for a more accessible and affordable snow/ski experience for your pre schoolers you could try a mid winter weekend trip to Canberra, and visit Corin Forest Park. This could also be combined with a trip to Questacon, That has a fabulous area for pre-schoolers.

Sage Oya and LMB like this.
  30. dammit

dammit Hard Yards

Was originally weighing up Corin Forest but decided to go the Snowy's...Corin just pulled the pin on their snow play for the Long Weekend as well due to lack of snow.

31. zac150

Corin is actually good fun, I never thought I’d say that but we had our daughters birthday there last year and they manage the toboggan area really well.

The skiing is also good for true beginners, we had friends go their first before heading to the mountains so they got more out of the Thredbo trip.

But it still doesn’t have that feeling. Being in Thredbo watching the snow fall is the best tv you can get.

LaNeige and telecrag like this.
  32. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

Now if you 2 had been paying attention to all the posts in this thread then I wouldn't need to be writing this but as it so happens you didn't so here we are. 3 posts in this thread from ramshead , gareth_oau and surprise , surprise climberman himself suggested going to DHG ( can you work that one out ?) and beyond all the way down to Khancoban ( or KC ). Now what was it we discovered earlier in this thread ? With thanks to Snow Blowey being an independent source of information , we found out that chains are what ? between where? and where ? for what ? type of vehicles. Yes that's right COMPULSORY between THREDBO and DEAD HORSE GAP for 2WD vehicles.
    Really it wasn't that hard to understand. , please do try to pay attention in the future :):):):):)

telecrag likes this.
  33. climberman

whatever

34. Legs Akimbo

And, if you had been paying attention, you would remember this:
    I understand your geographical discombobulation, but last time I was there Thredbo was in the national park.

35. telecrag

It is a good drive @dammit not very far, but very windy, so it takes a while. A bit past Geehi (worth a stop) there is a lookout, Scammels(?) I think, There is another one up a dirt road on the right (from Thredbo) about 10k or so in that is great, looking up Townsend, very worth it. You may need to hire chains (I really doubt they will be needed, unless you do it early Saturday).

36. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sioux city not Kansas (if referring to the Tumba to Cabra Rd)

Kelpieboy likes this.
  37. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

I am sorry but I couldn't be bothered continuing with this with someone who just wants to argue without actually making a point. This is disappointing in a way because I rated you better than that but obviously I need to reassess that rating on recent evidence .

I agree with Telecrag though , Geehi is good for a stop, Scammels is a good place to see some of the western hills , the power stations as well , in fact the whole drive through gods backyard is fantastic. I can recommend a few pubs in the area as well , good feed , decent beer , bakery at Tumbarumba is also good for a feed , plenty to see do , eat and drink.

This bloke understands it:)

38. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Arguing without making a point is all he does.

chicski likes this.
  39. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The signs at the power station before Khancoban were all taped over when I drove through a week ago. Maybe the info centre has closed down?

LaNeige likes this.
  40. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

It was like that at Easter, guess it's closed then ...

41. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Ine of my great driving experiences/memories was in 1994 driving a rented commodore from thredbo to Khancoban with snowchains on all the way.

That helped me fall in love with snow just that little bit more

42. TC

TC Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Skiing is a disease and it’s chronic

43. Legs Akimbo

It's a pretty straightforward point. Telling people that they need chains in all of the park is flat out incorrect. I was providing the correct, and useful, information that you can drive to Thredbo without compulsory chains. This weekend in particular, that is quite useful advice.

44. dammit

dammit Hard Yards

We made it to thredbo late last night.
    Today we drove to perisher and kids got to toboggan and snow play there. Then went to charlotte pass boardwalk (view was amazing and definitely worth the extra 10 min drive beyond perisher).

Back to thredbo for a massive fireworks display and then hot dub time machine playing an outdoor concert.

Tomorrow not sure yet- thinking kosi chair lift and maybe kosi lookout, but was such an effort getting the kids 400m up the boardwalk, let alone 2.5 hours walk!!

AJS, Ozgirl, climberman and 4 others like this.
  45. dammit

dammit Hard Yards

Day 2 we conquered kosi lookout. Took us about 4 hours with the kids though! We were over dressed (so very hot),, and over packed too :( so a few lessons learnt for next time.

The chairlift was expensive ($39 per adult per day) but a great experience for the kids. We got to do it all together on the one chair which was a lot better (2 adults and 4 kids). Then we called in to the bull wheel bistro which is the casual part of eagles nest for hot chocolates which the kids loved. Thredbo had a lot of events on for kids which was great. The kids had a ball.

The drive home to Sydney was tiring, feel like it’s so far for one day trip!! Thanks everyone for all the advice and tips :)

AJS, Untele-whippet, telecrag and 3 others like this.
  46. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You'll be baaaack! It's an addiction. ;)

TC and LMB like this.
  47. ThisAlpineLife

ThisAlpineLife First Runs

To give you a complete answer - I hope it's ok to refer to a blog post a wrote recently. It is very likey that your 6 year old will love it. The younger children maybe too. It really depends on how excited they are for the holiday and how used they are to kindergarden/ including how easy they accept new adults. (ski instructors)
    https://thisalpinelife.com/ski-school-or-not/

48. zac150

Sounds like you had a fun weekend and made the most of it.

Your right the one way trips are $$$ always better to get some sort of pass that covers the ais and other activities, but I don’t think they offer these in winter.

I hope you missed the traffic holdups.

49. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Better to be over dressed with layers you can remove than under dressed. We were up there one Xmas where it was shorts weather at the bottom and foggy and windy up top with apparent temps in the negatives.

You’ll have to aim for the summit next time, perhaps in summer.

50. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Well done! Your kids will remember this.