First trip - a few questions

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Crime story more likely. ;) Not a crime thriller either, just a plodding story of greed, corruption and compliant bureaucracy.
I dare say the story of monopoly and manipulation is not just limited to Myoko either. Some of the stories I've heard in paradise Niseko are similar. Where there is money to be made corruption and stand over tactics move in.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
Oh yes, wouldn't be anything unusual. There's so much that's goes on under the radar that visitors don't see. Remember this is a country where crime organisations have offices, business cards and uniforms/office wear!

Reactions: Tonester and LMB

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Oh yes, wouldn't be anything unusual. There's so much that's goes on under the radar that visitors don't see. Remember this is a country where crime organisations have offices, business cards and uniforms/office wear!
Even more reason to dramatise this and turn it into a telemovie!

Reactions: M_G

Will_P

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2016
Melbourne
Okay, I think I'm sold on Hakuba - thanks for the redirect! 10 resorts, free shuttles, direct flights to Tokyo, guided backcountry options, cheaper accommodation... sounds awesome.

I've been browsing through bookingdotcom, but does anyone have any recommendations (based on personal experience or trusted word of mouth) for places suitable for the solo traveler who doesn't want a dorm bed and with a communal kitchen? And priced under (or around) $150 per night?

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Okay, I think I'm sold on Hakuba - thanks for the redirect! 10 resorts, free shuttles, direct flights to Tokyo, guided backcountry options, cheaper accommodation... sounds awesome.

I've been browsing through bookingdotcom, but does anyone have any recommendations (based on personal experience or trusted word of mouth) for places suitable for the solo traveler who doesn't want a dorm bed and with a communal kitchen? And priced under (or around) $150 per night?
http://www.hakubapowderlodging.com/

Reactions: smackies

Stick

Addicted
Apr 11, 2016

We used http://www.snowbedsjapan.com/

Found them quite good

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Another vote for HPL.

They have private ensuite rooms (as well as dorms). Big communal kitchen.
The dorms are really just rooms of four beds. Nothing like a "dorm" that you'd visualise
Though some people like to have a poo spot in their room.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Thanks, Hakuba Powder Lodging and Penke Panke Lodge both look like exactly what I'm after.
No worries . The good thing is at both spots you'll meet like minded people... much like at Purple Cow (its a yha now no?)

Will_P

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2016
Melbourne
Yeah, 'Wanaka Purple Cow YHA' or something like that. I'd always stayed at Matterhorn South, but it was booked out by a Chinese ski team for six weeks, so I thought I'd give the YHA a try, and it was excellent.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yeah, 'Wanaka Purple Cow YHA' or something like that. I'd always stayed at Matterhorn South, but it was booked out by a Chinese ski team for six weeks, so I thought I'd give the YHA a try, and it was excellent.
Wanaka and New Zealand in general has lots of great places like that, Always interesting.
Niseko used to..however as the ski bums and people moved on. The accomodation type changed . We used to stay in a self catered lodge in Niseko. It was bought for 70 grand or so by the owners. I noticed it for sale for 850,000 the other day. Thats some profit on a 15 year investment.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

digressing a little. The Purple Cow was up until around 2000 the Pembroke Inn, then new owners turned it into a backpackers with the new name. But I suspect it only got included as YHA in the last year or so.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
digressing a little. The Purple Cow was up until around 2000 the Pembroke Inn, then new owners turned it into a backpackers with the new name. But I suspect it only got included as YHA in the last year or so.
Yeah we stayed there late 99 and it was the purple cow.
Great view.
Stayed in Albert town this year. Was nice being out of the "bustle"

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Yeah we stayed there late 99 and it was the purple cow.
Great view.
Stayed in Albert town this year. Was nice being out of the "bustle"

That must have been just after the change. I stayed at the Pembroke Inn through 90's until 1999 when Murray Christie had the lease, really enjoyed those days at Muzza's bar. Always make sure to catch up with Muzza for a few beers each year since.

Yeah view was good and back in the early days the HMH heli would sometimes pickup and land from the 26 acre block where the skate park is now, so it was very convenient. Until the neighbours complained.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
That must have been just after the change. I stayed at the Pembroke Inn through 90's until 1999 when Murray Christie had the lease, really enjoyed those days at Muzza's bar. Always make sure to catch up with Muzza for a few beers each year since.
The raw old days.
We stayed there when it was the pembroke as well..97 I think.
Wanaka has changed so much

Reactions: Heinz

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
The raw old days.
We stayed there when it was the pembroke as well..97 I think.
Wanaka has changed so much

yeah, that's another whole story. I've seen it over a period of 34 years.
It has changed a lot, though probably not as much as Niseko over that period.

anyway ... back to Japan....

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks, Hakuba Powder Lodging and Penke Panke Lodge both look like exactly what I'm after.
Penke Panke is better located if your using the shuttles. IMO
A minutes walk to lifts at Happo One, free shuttle stop out the front to other mountains.
They also provide free transport to supermarkets and onsens everyday.
If you don't have a car, it's hard to beat. IMO

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Penke Panke is better located if your using the shuttles. IMO
A minutes walk to lifts at Happo One, free shuttle stop out the front to Iwatake and Goryu/Hak47.
Yeah and no. HPL has a shuttle stop across the road that uses Olympic road..but yeah PP is close as to Happo.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah and no. HPL has a shuttle stop across the road that uses Olympic road..but yeah PP is close as to Happo.
Shuttle route from Wadano in the morning also starts near Penke, so pretty much guaranteed a seat and not full.
If you don't have a car, Penke offers more. IMO
P.S Fatwins runs a great business at HPL, just my opinion if no car.
P.S.S. Also be aware that if Penke Panke is full, they will offer other alternatives in their portfolio, which does not have the same location and shuttle proximity.
Eg Asuka Lodge is great for Happo, but 5-10 minute walk to shuttle stop up at Rythym to get to Iwatake, or walk down the hill for a few minutes to Adam Gondola to get shuttle to 47 etc.

driz

Hard Yards
May 11, 2012
London
Mini thread hijack although related - looking at booking first ski trip to Japan (although not first time there) and I'm struggling to find accommodation on Sapporo that's not eye wateringly expensive. Have I missed the booking-boat or is this normal? Only looking at double / twin rooms too!

Hakuba et al seems to have a few more reasonably priced options. Dates are around Jan 18 to Jan 29. Suspect Australia day is part of the problem?

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Mini thread hijack although related - looking at booking first ski trip to Japan (although not first time there) and I'm struggling to find accommodation on Sapporo that's not eye wateringly expensive. Have I missed the booking-boat or is this normal? Only looking at double / twin rooms too!

Hakuba et al seems to have a few more reasonably priced options. Dates are around Jan 18 to Jan 29. Suspect Australia day is part of the problem?
Often, rooms are not released until 2 months before. It's still october.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com

Hakuba will be easier. Once you get past 24 Jan all the Aussie families are heading home and there's a bit of breathing space before Chinese New Year hits.

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com

Is it for Friday/Saturday night ? prices usually jump quite a bit on the weekend .

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com

Try Hamilton Hotel Sapporo (not high standard).

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Did you look here? https://travel.rakuten.com
Quite a few hotels in Sapporo under AUD100/day in January. It will be more expensive in February during the snow festival.

Reactions: Vermillion

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Penke for the party crew, Nicks place (HPL) for those more focused on riding/skiing. Always a strong BC crew there and an easy walk to Echoland for a meal and drinks. If neither of them work out try Monkey Rider. Shuttle stop right out the front and super short stroll to Echoland.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010

I stayed Penke panke. It’s very social and you’ll meet people who ride with. A little out of the way if you want to pop out die sinner but walking distance to Happo lifts.

globewanderer

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2015
I stayed Penke panke. It’s very social and you’ll meet people who ride with. A little out of the way if you want to pop out die sinner but walking distance to Happo lifts.

I was a little inebriated last night trying to read this and thought I couldn't understand the last bit because of the whiskey LOL
Safe to say it wasn't the whiskey...:whistle:

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I was a little inebriated last night trying to read this and thought I couldn't understand the last bit because of the whiskey LOL
Safe to say it wasn't the whiskey...:whistle:

Haha iPhone typing!

It meant to say a little out of the way to pop out for dinner but walking distance to the lifts

:)

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
I found plenty of cheap Sapporo accommodation on Airbnb.
https://www.airbnb.com.au/s/Sapporo--Hokkaido-Prefecture--Japan/homes?place_id=ChIJMzaXWnXUCl8R1bqHRp1-kzM&allow_override[]=

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass