1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

First trip to Hotham...questions, questions!

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by tomtankman, Apr 18, 2018.

1. tomtankman

tomtankman Addicted

Hi all

Im busting my balls with excitement. Have just booked my 1st ever trip to Hotham after boarding Thredbo/Perisher for 20 years! Ok so Im studying the trial map and am wondering if you can board from The Orchard top to bottom of Blue ribbon....basically from top right to bottom left of the map. Also are the Playground trail, Gully Catwalk and Davenport Access too flat for boarders?

Other questions:
    1) Is there mobile/internet reception in Dinner Plain.
    2) Can you drop hire chains at Dinner Plain? I will hire in Bright or Harrietville on the way up but then will not need the car until it's time to leave 5 days later.
    3) Does Dinner Plain have a store which sells meat.....for a BBQ?
    4) Does Dinner Plain hotel have a bottle shop?

Thanks everyone!!!

2. Echo Base

Echo Base Hard Yards

Playground Trail, Gully Catwalk and Davenport Access are fine for boarders. The trail from the top of Orchard to the top of Spargo's has a bit of a flat bit that needs fast snow, wax and technique for a boarder to avoid some walking. The trail from the bottom of the Village chair to the bottom of Blue Ribbon is even more flat. I've only bothered once, and I'm a skier. (my boarder friend that I dragged down there was not impressed)

3. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Wondering if you can board from The Orchard top to bottom of Blue ribbon....basically from top right to bottom left of the map.
    Yes, but this will require a lot of traversing or in your case walking. It would involve out of bounds stuff. If you go from say top of Orchard all the way to the bottom of the Village chair (Audi chair I think it is called now), this is referred to as "Golden Point". If you go any further across you have to negotiate crossing the creek at the bottom. There are some great turns to be had in here but it's a fair bit of work to get there and there are easier to access tree skiing options.

Also are the Playground trail, Gully Catwalk and Davenport Access too flat for boarders?
    Part of the cat track from the Basin to Playground lift is pretty flat but not flat enough to have to walk provided you take a sensible amount of momentum going in.
    The only 2 cat tracks that a snowboarder would have to walk:
    - Summit to Australia Drift (T bar), not sure why you'd want to go here on a board...
    - Village to Blue Ribbon bottom cat track. If you take the Village lift to the top, you can access Blue Ribbon this way without having to walk.

The rest of the access trails have reasonable vert to board.

Other questions:
    1) Is there mobile/internet reception in Dinner Plain. I'm with Optus and it's ok at Dinner Plain, but parts of Hotham are black spots, (bottom of Village lift, The General Store). Telstra is black spot free to my knowledge.
    2) Can you drop hire chains at Dinner Plain? I will hire in Bright or Harrietville on the way up but then will not need the car until it's time to leave 5 days later.
    Depends on who you hire with. Hoys have options to hire in Harrietville and drop in Omeo if you are going that way. Hoys are also at Dinner Plain, so might be worth a call to confirm. The beauty of hiring with Hoys is they have an on mountain fitting service, (must be the worst job on the mountain)...

3) Does Dinner Plain have a store which sells meat.....for a BBQ?
    I would say yes, but I stay at Hotham.

4) Does Dinner Plain hotel have a bottle shop?
    Yes.

Most sensible grocery option is to do a food/grog shop at Bright on the way (if you have room in the car). Woolworths in Bright is good safe option. At Hotham there is a small licenced supermarket at Hotham Central, The General Store and The Arlberg. Not sure about Dinner Plain but I know there is a few options.

Froff Life likes this.
  4. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

in the top pic spargos is the clear stand-alone run say 1/3 from left, middle. you can get there on a board with a little scooching from top of orchard chair. everything right of there (the golden point runs) is out of bounds and requires some traversing / hiking, but it aint that hard. this 11 yo did it last year. if you end up too far right, at the bottom you can cut back to village chair, otherwise as @FatBoyDave says you have to hop across the creek at the Silver brumby hut below blue ribbon (bottom pic) as these guy were last year

FatBoyDave likes this.
  5. mr

of course you can just board from orchard or gotcha-past heavenly chair-past village chair to BR base, all in bounds

Blue ribbon usually doesnt open til late july, or when there is 1m cover

6. FatBoyDave

Rough rule of thumb (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    Orchard ski area needs the creek to freeze (that's where you ski in to load onto the chair) and build a firm base to open. Needs roughly at least 1 metre cover. Last year (or maybe the year before?) they had ample snow cover to open but the creek hadn't frozen so was still closed for a while.
    Blue Ribbon, needs 1m+ snow cover to open. Often not open until August. There is sadly no snow making there and no mid station option. Due to Blue Ribbons aspect it seems to lose snow cover the quickest. but is one of the areas at Hotham fully protected from the elements. When it's really windy, go here (or cross country skiing down at wire plain or the pub).

mr likes this.
  7. tomtankman

tomtankman Addicted

Ok great info everyone thanks. Sounds like Hoys for chains and a shop on the way up. Now i just have to nervously watch the weather charts for 3 months! Thanks again

Total Whiteout likes this.
  8. FatBoyDave

When are you going?

9. mr

Yeah blue ribbon is typically a 4 week (august) area. Except last year when we skiied it on Oct2 (Lift was shut but you can village chair loop it pretty easily with a bit of walking / scooching / skinning)

10. tomtankman

tomtankman Addicted

23rd to 28th July

11. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

No need to be nervous with those dates.

FatBoyDave likes this.