FIS World Cup 2020-21

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I just received an email from the LL organizing committee to say that there will be no WC events in north america for the 20-21 season due to the pandemic. The FIS calendar is showing Killington, LL and Beaver Creek all as canceled and as yet no other race or venue occupying their dates.

"We are all in tune with how the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) continues to evolve globally with restrictions in varying countries dictating health and safety protocols, gathering, quarantine measures and travel. It has been our mandate to keep the safety and well-being of all our stakeholders including athletes, volunteers, partners and contractors, media and the ski racing community at the forefront of planning for the 2020 Lake Louise Audi FIS Ski World Cup. We’ve taken into consideration the limitations of hosting an international event during a pandemic and approached the challenges relying on the advice of our partners and Race Organizing Committee, and guidance from medical experts and authorities from varying levels of government and business both provincially and federally.

"After several months of discussion, the 2020/21 North American alpine ski racing tour will be realigned at existing technical and speed race venues in Europe. This was a unified decision between the FIS, Winterstart Events Ltd. and our Race Organizing Committee, the Canadian Snowsports Association, U.S. Ski & Snowboard and the local organizing committees including Vail/Beaver Creek (CO) and Killington (VT) for the safety and well-being of all stakeholders. The collaborative effort in reaching this decision stems from the FIS objective to protect the health and welfare of all participants to the best extent possible.

"The realignment of the North American races caters to this goal by focusing on athlete safety, reducing travel and providing competitors with a detailed competition calendar. All parties jointly agreed to make this decision early to give ample time to adjust race calendars during this next month before the FIS Technical Committee Meetings in late September.

"While we know this is disappointing, this unified decision came to be with health, safety and risk management at the core of our reasoning. Given the unpredictability of the pandemic we want to do our part in these uncertain times to ensure the athletes have the opportunity to achieve their personal best and to keep our community safe.

"We would not have been able to exhaust all the possibilities without the tremendous support of the entire Sled Dog family. The Race Organizing Committee and volunteers have put their expertise, time and enthusiasm into creating a new normal for ski racing at Lake Louise. Our sincerest thanks to everyone.

"We’ll be back on track next year! The Audi FIS Ski World Cup is calendared at Lake Louise in 2021. The planning begins now to ensure a safe return for everyone."

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Hans Knauss was a guest on Austrian morning TV today. Announced that after 15 years it was time to retire from doing the pre race camera runs. At 49 it was getting tougher to prepare, was getting harder on his back and took longer to recover. He will of course otherwise continue with his commentary which is good - he is my favourite ski commentator. No idea who will take on the camera run role this season.

Also talked a bit about the coming season with the initial races with the initial races in Sölden and Zürs which will be quite a bit different without spectators. He said he would have found that difficult as he always needed the crowd atmosphere to ski at his best. He felt that this might suit some other racers better who liked it quieter to concentrate so was interested to see how that would turn out.

So here on his website are his last few camera runs.
https://www.hans-knauss.com/

Last edited:

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Moguls Calender at the moment.

1f1eb_1f1ee.png
December 05, 2020 / Ruka, Finland (MO);
1f1f8_1f1ea.png
December 12 & 13, 2020 / IdreFjäll, Sweden (MO / DM);
1f1e8_1f1e6.png
January 23, 2021 / Tremblant, QB Canada (MO);
1f1e8_1f1e6.png
January 30, 2021 / Calgary, (AL) Canada (MO);
1f1fa_1f1f8.png
February 04 & 06, 2021 / Deer Valley, (UT) USA (MO / DM);
1f1ef_1f1f5.png
February 13 & 14, 2021 / Tazawako, Japan (MO / DM);
1f1e8_1f1f3.png
FIS World Championships 2021
1f1e8_1f1f3.png

19 & 21 February 2021 / Thaiwoo, China (MO / DM);
1f1f0_1f1ff.png
07 Mars 2021 / Shymbulak, Kazakhstan (MO);
1f1f7_1f1fa.png
March 13, 2021 / Krasnoyarsk, Russia (MO) /
26a0.png
Cancelled

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Mikaela is missing Soelden
I hope she’s not on the way out - there have already been too many recent retirements of other stars
I know there are always more brilliantly talented young skiers ready to jump on the conveyor belt, and an elite sporting career is very short, but I reckon she has few more years

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Does anyone know where I can watch this? I bought a Kayo subscription but does not have any skiing scheduled this weekend. Our Foxtel is not an ‘ on demand’ service and no longer has espn.

Many thanks.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
@Heinz had info about other ways to get ski events
look on the FIS 19/20 thread

I watch it here: https://schoener-fernsehen.com/ORF viEINS/
It is a subscription service in German. Has quite a few channels mostly Euro also including the German Eurosport.
Perfect for me as I regularly watch Austrian TV throughout the year, eg. right now Guten Morgen Österreich.

edit. Overcast, rainy morning in Austria. Fresh snow in some resorts - Obertauern, Flachau, Ischgl, St. Anton etc. and lifts are running at Kitzsteinhorn.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
They did a cross to Sölden just now, very wintery looking, fresh snow, but almost completely empty. Only competitors, staff and a few guests in town, no side events. Any skier interviews need to be done in an open shed. It's all going to be very different.

JuLe

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Thanks. Off to buy a Fetch box.

I posted this in another thread but realised there as already a conversation happening here about the same topic...

Does anyone know if Eurosport on Fetch TV is actually showing the World Cup events for this season? I was contemplating getting Fetch purely for the skiing but the Eurosport Australia TV guide doesn’t seem to have anything about the Sölden events this weekend... just want to know if they’re serious about showing winter sports on this platform before I fork out. I can’t see any skiing on the TV guide for the next week at least!

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
The talk about where to watch stuff has got me wondering about where we can watch the boardercross. Will have to look up when events are on. Keen to see how Adam Lambert goes.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Bassino clear leader so far. Italian and Swiss teams continuing on strongly from last season. Robinson also in top 5 at the moment.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Don't worry bout that.

Can't believe you're here of all places.

Thanks for the tunes man.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Joachim Puchner with his first camera run, taking over from Hans Knauss who has retired from that role after 15 years.
upload_2020-10-18_18-29-21.png

Adamski

Addicted
Mar 2, 2009
Sydney
Bassino clear leader so far. Italian and Swiss teams continuing on strongly from last season. Robinson also in top 5 at the moment.

Bassino's smooth style seemed to be best suited to the hill. None of the more aggressive skiers got within a second of her time in the first run.

Reactions: crackson

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Caviezel leading after first run but first 14 within a 1 sec.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
"Smooth is fast" is no secret. It's been the mantra across every discipline of sport for maybe a century.

In their defence, few choose to get wragged on the day. It just happens sometimes. That's sport.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Good to see an Australian, Harry Laidlaw, in a WC race even if he was a DNF.

Good on him!

Not that it should, but Corona Virus is going to define the potential careers of quite a number of Australian athletes with dreams of the world stage. Not just in skiing but in many sports.

I have heard a number of parents (of older kids transitioning to adult competition) complain that their kids will never catch up, and its a disaster ... blah blah, I think there is always opportunity in events such as this, you just need to focus on that opportunity.

Shredderman

One of Us
May 31, 2000
Melbourne
Good on him!

Not that it should, but Corona Virus is going to define the potential careers of quite a number of Australian athletes with dreams of the world stage. Not just in skiing but in many sports.

I have heard a number of parents (of older kids transitioning to adult competition) complain that their kids will never catch up, and its a disaster ... blah blah, I think there is always opportunity in events such as this, you just need to focus on that opportunity.

Agree, lots of athletes lose a year or a season to injury and make their way back to the top of their sports. Just need to refocus training on what they can control, such as hitting the gym hard, working on their physical weaknesses etc.

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
Must be big doubts about the season going ahead now? French resorts are shut, any other countries shutting down their resorts?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass