Advice needed Fischer BCX 6 NNN BC boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by axellotta, Sep 25, 2017.

1. axellotta

axellotta Hard Yards

Hi all, so after I tore the sole clean off my $40 secondhand Garmont NNN BC boots this weekend on the first run down Mt McKay :( I am in the market for a new and hopefully more reliable set of NNN BC touring boots. After conducting a fair bit of research I favour the Alpina Alaska (NNN BC version) as I cannot find a bad word said about them. Unfortunately they are not available in Australia and I draw the line at purchasing footwear fit untried from the US or Europe. The next best option seem to be Fischer's BCX 6 model but a few reviews from circa 2014 seem to suggest they had issues with toe pinching and water leakage. I'm assuming that these problems have been overcome with the 2016 and 2017 models but if anyone out there owns a pair of these I would love to hear your thoughts please?

Cheers,

Axel

2. rols

rols Hard Yards

I have put plenty of time on some Alpina BC2050.
    Warm and a bit water resistant with the zip over gaiter. These soft boots are great for covering distance and do allow for some finese style turns. The 2050 has a flimsy plastic cuff that adds some lateral stiffnes to the cuff but the NNNBC sole is pretty close to torsionally non existent, (though you probably already know this), the Alaska is likely the same, so for any chance of edging, my experience is to keep the ski waist <60mm.

3. axellotta

axellotta Hard Yards

Hi everyone, so I tried on a pair of the Fischer BCX-6 a couple of days ago at EMC and unfortunately they were not the boot for me. If I can give some advice to those who might be tempted to buy mail order, stay away from the last years version (brown suede sections) as they were unable to be even remotely secured above the lower foot, using instead of laces a useless velcro overlap that provided (at least more me) no feeling of security whatsoever, it was like walking in hut booties. Additionally in the 10 minutes or so I spent trying them on, the velcro caused not-insignificant damage to the boot lining itself.

This year's model (with the yellow/green mesh highlights around the heel) was significantly better with the lacing extending all the way up the boot which provided a far more secure feeling. Although I have not used them in the field, I found the external plastic frame provided no real additional torsional stability (and was unable to be adequately tightened with the velcro anyway).

So to sum up, although those online clearance prices might look tempting, for boots nothing beats getting them fitted at a shop by a pro in my opinion.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Ziggy like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

Couldn't agree more.
    My last fitting and purchase went in a different direction than I was expecting.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Bogong equipment sell Alpina NNN BC boots.I will rent for another season but eventually will buy some like these.The plastic B.C. boot does not appeal to me.

6. weerab

weerab One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Glad to see you are getting into the XC thing. I wore leather boots and skinny skis for years before bumping in to a member of this forum who persuaded me that placcie was the way to go!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

Be sure to try the Alpina 1550 on if that model is in your sights. Many people find it creases at the toebox when they rise on the ball of their foot.

8. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Don't knock it till you've tried it - it's all about the inners, the stability, the weight.... for someone ransitioning from trad hiking boots it looks placcy, but it's all about the usage.

Placcy crampon compatibility is also optimal.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.