• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Fishing is one of my biggest hobbies. I think Japan is a good country for fishing in that numerous beaches and mountain streams are very close one another. I like mountain stream fishing (mainly trout fishing) and beach / surf fishing. Winter is not for mountain stream fishing but I enjoy beach / surf fishing all year around. Narita Airport to Kujukuri (popular beach for fishing and surfing) is only 40 min drive. Narita Airport to Tokyo Disney Resort is also about 40+ min drive. For some people like me, Fishing along Kujukuri beach might be more interesting than Tokyo Disney Resort. I heard some foreigners saying fishing gears in Japan are good and cheap. Plus, very good condition used gears can be available at amazingly low prices. So, buying fishing gears in Tokyo (area) might be good too. I know this forum has a thread "Buying ski gears in Tokyo". That said, this is a ski forum, so, if a moderator thinks this thread is not good to be here, please delete it.

Our main home is very close to a beach and I go fishing very often recently. It's June now and the sun rises around 4am or earlier. If the weather is good, I fish from 4am to 6am while seeing the sun rising from the Pacific Ocean (it's so beautiful). I'm not a person who is willing to upload pictures filmed very near our real estates, pictures of myself , pictures of my personal belongings, etc, but I think I'll upload my fishing pictures on this thread sometimes. By the way, is there a general fishing thread in this forum?.

Some people are only interested in catching big fishes. Personally, the size is not that important. I'm interested in catching delicious fishes (the best is nicely big and yummy, though). 鰤 = Buri = Yellowtail Fish is one of "big and yummy" ones and Buri season has started here!. We are trying to fish Buri this weekend. If we catch one, I'll upload a picture here:p. This video is what we are trying to do this weekend:) (the guy is fishing Buri = Yellowtail)

This is Buri.
hamachi_s.jpg

Compared to 15+ years ago (it's roughly when I started fishing), I see more girls enjoy fishing recently. I think it's partially because fishing gears have become to look nicer (fashionable), lighter and cheaper.

Last edited:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Fishing is one of my biggest hobbies. I think Japan is a good country for fishing in that numerous beaches and mountain streams are very close one another. I like mountain stream fishing (mainly trout fishing) and beach / surf fishing. Winter is not for mountain stream fishing but I enjoy beach / surf fishing all year around. Narita Airport to Kujukuri (popular beach for fishing and surfing) is only 40 min drive. Narita Airport to Tokyo Disney Resort is also about 40+ min drive. For some people like me, Fishing along Kujukuri beach might be more interesting than Tokyo Disney Resort. I heard some foreigners saying fishing gears in Japan are good and cheap. Plus, very good condition used gears can be available at amazingly low prices. So, buying fishing gears in Tokyo (area) might be good too. I know this forum has a thread "Buying ski gears in Tokyo". That said, this is a ski forum, so, if a moderator thinks this thread is not good to be here, please delete it.

Our main home is very close to a beach and I go fishing very often recently. It's June now and the sun rises around 4am or earlier. If the weather is good, I fish from 4am to 6am while seeing the sun rising from the Pacific Ocean (it's so beautiful). I'm not a person who is willing to upload pictures filmed very near our real estates, pictures of myself , pictures of my personal belongings, etc, but I think I'll upload my fishing pictures on this thread sometimes. By the way, is there a general fishing thread in this forum?.

Some people are only interested in catching big fishes. Personally, the size is not that important. I'm interested in catching delicious fishes (the best is nicely big and yummy, though). 鰤 = Buri = Yellowtail Fish is one of "big and yummy" ones and Buri season has started here!. We are trying to fish Buri this weekend. If we catch one, I'll upload a picture here:p. This video is what we are trying to do this weekend:) (the guy is fishing Buri = Yellowtail)

This is Buri.
hamachi_s.jpg

Compared to 15+ years ago (it's roughly when I started fishing), I see more girls enjoy fishing recently. I think it's partially because fishing gears have become to look nicer (fashionable), lighter and cheaper.

Wow!!!!
In the first video, the rod and reel seems to be to small to use on buri (and the other fishes), in order to control them in the beach surf.

In Australia, beach fishing gear is bigger than that, 3m-4m rods and overhead reels. It seems to me that the bigger fish are closer to the beach Japan, than they are in Australia.

Reactions: Ramenman

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Tadaima (I'm home). Basically, sunrise time and sunset time are the best for fishing (and midday is the worst). So, I usually fish for several hours around sunrise time or sunset time. It was not a day for big fishes and the one below is the "biggest fish" I caught today. Smaller than my hand!. It's a baby of Kanpachi (Greater amberjack in English). Adult Kanpachi grows up to be 1m or bigger and the world's record is 190cm and 80kg!.
Kanpachi.jpg

I caught it by use of my new "Ajing gears" (I'll show them here later). "Ajing" is quite big in Japan. Aji is Japanese horse mackerel and it's a very small fish. Ajing means fishin Aji. I love Ajing. I feel Ajing requires us more skills, experiences and intelligence than fishing big fishes like Buri (Fishing Aji is a lot easier than big fishes like Buri, however, fishing big fishes like Buri requires you "luck" while how many Aji you can catch hugely depends on your skills). And, Aji is yummy!. This guy from New Zealand is talking about Ajing.

Aji : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_jack_mackerel

Sushi of Aji
56828ac4aeb019c4a5ca0c1612addae8.jpg

About Ajing : http://howtoaji.blogspot.com/2017/02/ajing-fishing-part-1-intro.html

My Ajing guru / Sensei (It has English subtitles and you can understand the points)

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Pretty sure there is a fishing thread around somewhere. But post away. Plenty will be interested in any pics you put up. Especially if they have beach and surf in them.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Wow!!!!
In the first video, the rod and reel seems to be to small to use on buri (and the other fishes), in order to control them in the beach surf.
When I was "very young", nobody was using PE lines (PE = Polyethylene) nor carbon fiber fishing rods, IIRC. Most people were using nylon lines. PE line is about 4 times stronger than nylon line (it is said so) and it means you can choose thinner PE lines in stead of thick nylon lines. Thinner lines mean smaller air resistance and smaller frictional resistance between the line and the fishing rod. It means, PE line helps us cast the fishing bait / lure farther, which is very important for surf / beach fishing. Carbon fiber rods are very light and very strong at the same time, which also has made beach / surf fishing easier (glass fiber, etc are also used for fishing rods). So, 15+ years ago, big fish fishing (such as Buri fishing) was not very accessible for 155cm - 45kg girls, but now it's not difficult for them (as long as they are using "proper gears" with "enough experiences).

In Australia, beach fishing gear is bigger than that, 3m-4m rods and overhead reels. It seems to me that the bigger fish are closer to the beach Japan, than they are in Australia.
I sometimes see people buying expensive casting rods for surf / beach fishing to cast lures for 100m or more, believing long distance cast is must for surf / beach fishing, but very big fishes sometimes are within 30m from us like the day in the video:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Olgreg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Pretty sure there is a fishing thread around somewhere. But post away. Plenty will be interested in any pics you put up. Especially if they have beach and surf in them.

Sure, I'll film and show them here:). I need to be careful. I mean, I have dropped mobile phones in the sea when fishing, so, I recently make it a rule not to use my smartphone when fishing, but I'll take some when I see very beautiful sunshine or sunset over the sea / beach when I'm fishing (and of courses the fishes I catch;))

Reactions: Dave6

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
When I was "very young", nobody was using PE lines (PE = Polyethylene) nor carbon fiber fishing rods, IIRC. Most people were using nylon lines. PE line is about 4 times stronger than nylon line (it is said so) and it means you can choose thinner PE lines in stead of thick nylon lines. Thinner lines mean smaller air resistance and smaller frictional resistance between the line and the fishing rod. It means, PE line helps us cast the fishing bait / lure farther, which is very important for surf / beach fishing. Carbon fiber rods are very light and very strong at the same time, which also has made beach / surf fishing easier (grass fiber, etc are also used for fishing rods). So, 15+ years ago, big fish fishing (such as Buri fishing) was not very accessible for 155cm - 45kg girls, but now it's not difficult for them (as long as they are using "proper gears" with "enough experiences).

I sometimes see people buying expensive casting rods for surf / beach fishing to cast lures for 100m or more, believing long distance cast is must for surf / beach fishing, but very big fishes sometimes are within 30m from us like the day in the video:p
I have a 3.5m very thin & light carbon fibre rod. It's great for fishing off rocks, where you don't want the line being cut by the rocks. It's also good off the beach. I also have a 2m bait caster rod for an overhead reel. I've got quite a lot of older gear in Australia as well, where I used to have a boat.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
My daughter learned old style Japanese fishing in Kurobe river 黒部川 at Yakushizawa goya 薬師沢小屋.

Just a long fishing stik with a line at the end and a fly. We were the only ones (apart from 2 drunken ANA pilots) in the hut and the guardians were teaching my daughter binding flies and fishing:

RIMG0046.JPG
RIMG0047.JPG
IMG_0313.jpg

Tenkara nerds!

trying the new system!

Last edited:

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Long time ago I vent out fishing with my Uncle in law. A hole day on the Setonaikai, from Suoo-Oshima 周防大島町.

Coming in and not catch anything that day!:headbang::headbang:

No fish.jpg

Next day we were back in Asaka - my uncle in law went out again an got a lot of fish, just to send it us in Asaka to eat it.
I do like Japanese transport of cold and frozen things!

Sorry, picture before my digital age.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I bought fishing gears last week for my new project / goal of 2021 summer= Fishing adult Tai and Buri by use of Ajing rod with the total cost of less than 20,000 Yen. It's a reel I bought for the project. You see a cup. It's a cup of Gran Deco = a ski resort in Aizu region, Fukushima Pref. I bought it when I was a kid (It's "Roughly" 20+ years ago). To show it is my gear, I added the Gran Deco cup next to my gears:p (I'll add the cup or my cat when I show my new gears).
IMG_20210606_054328.jpg

Revros LT 3000-CH. I think 3000 is good for fishing small fishes like Aji and bigger fishes like Tai. Among cheap reels, I think Daiwa's Revros is the best. It was only 7,000 Yen. Very good condition used one (=almost new) can be less than 5,000 Yen at fishing gear shops. As I wrote, I set the total cost less than 20,000 Yen. Why?. It's because my fishing mates bought 40,000 Yen reels for fishing Buri. I want to tease them by fishing Buri by use of Ajing rod and the total cost less than 20,000 Yen:p. Basically, fishing gears are a lot cheaper than ski gears, so you don't have to choose cheap reels, but I do think Daiwa's Revros (especially the latest model = 2020) is amazingly good for the price.
IMG_20210606_054431.jpg

It's Daiwa Revros (but it's 2000. Mine is 3000CH). Daiwa, Shimano, etc, Japan have some world class fishing gear manufacturers. I don't know if it means buying good Japanese fishing gears in Japan is cheaper than buying abroad but I heard some people (including foreigners) saying you can buy better fishing gears cheaper in Japan.

The small fishes are Aji. Ajing rod is designed for fishing small ones like Aji. The bigger red fish is Tai and it's popular and expensive fish. It depends on the season, but an adult Tai (2 - 3kg) is often about 10,000 Yen (2 or 3 ski lift tickets!). I love Tai both raw ones (=Sashimi and Sushi)and cooked ones!. I've already fished Tai by use of Ajing rod but not Buri.
detail1_d3aef6c2-3e3a-49b3-ba1a-e4fd56dba052.png

As the image below shows, Wakana, Hamachi and Buri are the same fish. Hamachi is a very common Sushi fish (almost all Sushi restaurants have Hamachi and I like it). Buri is usually cooked (the fat of well-grown Buri might be too high for eating it raw but yummy if it's cooked). The image below says "Buri is 60cm or bigger", but it depends on the regions and fishing groups. I mean, a lot of people say 80cm or bigger is Buri. We've fished 15kg Buri (by use of proper gears, not Ajing rod, of course). Anyway, 6 or 7kg = often sold as Buri, so we can call it "Buri" if it's heavier than 6 or 7kg. So, fishing 6kg or heavier Buri by use of Ajing rod to tease my "extravagant" fishing mates is my new project:p
hamachi-buri-size.jpg

Ajing rod is mainly designed for casting 2 - 5g (jig head + worm) for 30m or less. But, beach / surfing means I need to cast more (50m). Bigger weight = long distance, and my friends are casting 40g of weight for fishing Buri but the maximum casting weight of my Ajing rod is 10g. So, I chose the 10g lure below. It was 540 Yen. Among lures less than 10g, I think it is one of the best for long cast. The Ajing rod that I bought for the project is in my car and I haven't filmed it yet but it's about 2.2m and it's long as Ajing rod. If it's new, it's about 11,000 Yen. But, my budget for this project is less than 20,000 Yen, so I chose the used one. As I wrote before, very good condition used gears (almost new!) are amazingly cheap here. The Ajing rod is "used one", but it was actually almost new and it was 7,000 Yen. Among fishing gears, rod and reel are two most expensive gears. Daiwa's reel (Revros) = 7,000 Yen, used Ajing rod = 7,000 Yen, so 14,000 Yen total. So, it'll be less than 20,000 Yen:)
IMG_20210606_054907.jpg

Some other fishing gears I bought this week.
IMG_20210606_055127.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hyst and Sandy

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
I bought fishing gears last week for my new project / goal of 2021 summer= Fishing adult Tai and Buri by use of Ajing rod with the total cost of less than 20,0000Yen. It's a reel I bought for the project. You see a cup. It's a cup of Gran Deco = a ski resort in Aizu region, Fukushima Pref. I bought it when I was a kid (It's "Roughly" 20+ years ago). To show it is my gear, I added the Gran Deco cup next to my gears:p (I'll add the cup or my cat when I show my new gears).
IMG_20210606_054328.jpg

Revros LT 3000-CH. I think 3000 is good for fishing small fishes like Aji and bigger fishes like Tai. Among cheap reels, I think Daiwa's Revros is the best. It was only 7,000 Yen. Very good condition used one (=almost new) can be less than 5,000 Yen at fishing gear shops. As I wrote, I set the total cost less than 20,000 Yen. Why?. It's because my fishing mates bought 40,000 Yen reels for fishing Buri. I want to tease them by fishing Buri by use of Ajing rod and the total cost less than 20,000 Yen:p. Basically, fishing gears are a lot cheaper than ski gears, so you don't have to choose cheap reels, but I do think Daiwa's Revros (especially the latest model = 2020) is amazingly good for the price.
IMG_20210606_054431.jpg

It's Daiwa Revros (but it's 2000. Mine is 3000CH). Daiwa, Shimano, etc, Japan have some world class fishing gear manufacturers. I don't know if it means buying good Japanese fishing gears in Japan is cheaper than buying abroad but I heard some people (including foreigners) saying you can buy better fishing gears cheaper in Japan.

The small fishes are Aji. Ajing rod is designed for fishing small ones like Aji. The bigger red fish is Tai and it's popular and expensive fish. It depends on the season, but an adult Tai (2 - 3kg) is often about 10,000 Yen (2 or 3 ski lift tickets!). I love Tai both raw ones (=Sashimi and Sushi)and cooked ones!. I've already fished Tai by use of Ajing rod but not Buri.
detail1_d3aef6c2-3e3a-49b3-ba1a-e4fd56dba052.png

As the image below shows, Wakana, Hamachi and Buri are the same fish. Hamachi is a very common Sushi fish (almost all Sushi restaurants have Hamachi and I like it). Buri is usually cooked (the fat of well-grown Buri might be too high for eating it raw but yummy if it's cooked). The image below says "Buri is 60cm or bigger", but it depends on the regions and fishing groups. I mean, a lot of people say 80cm or bigger is Buri. We've fished 15kg Buri (by use of proper gears, not Ajing rod, of course). Anyway, 6 or 7kg = often sold as Buri, so we can call it "Buri" if it's heavier than 6 or 7kg. So, fishing 6kg or heavier Buri by use of Ajing rod to tease my "extravagant" fishing mates is my new project:p
hamachi-buri-size.jpg

Ajing rod is mainly designed for casting 2 - 5g (jig head + worm) for 30m or less. But, beach / surfing means I need to cast more (50m). Bigger weight = long distance, and my friends are casting 40g of weight for fishing Buri but the maximum casting weight of my Ajing rod is 10g. So, I chose the 10g lure below. It was 540 Yen. Among lures less than 10g, I think it is one of the best for long cast. The Ajing rod that I bought for the project is in my car and I haven't filmed it yet but it's about 2.2m and it's long as Ajing rod. If it's new, it's about 11,000 Yen. But, my budget for this project is less than 20,000 Yen, so I chose the used one. As I wrote before, very good condition used gears (almost new!) are amazingly cheap here. The Ajing rod is "used one", but it was actually almost new and it was 7,000 Yen. Among fishing gears, rod and reel are two most expensive gears. Daiwa's reel (Revros) = 7,000 Yen, used Ajing rod = 7,000 Yen, so 14,000 Yen total. So, it'll be less than 20,000 Yen:)
IMG_20210606_054907.jpg

Some other fishing gears I bought this week.
IMG_20210606_055127.jpg
The red fish that you call Tai looks very much similar to a juvenile Snapper, or Squire, as we call them in Australia.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I bought fishing gears last week for my new project / goal of 2021 summer= Fishing adult Tai and Buri by use of Ajing rod with the total cost of less than 20,0000Yen. It's a reel I bought for the project. You see a cup. It's a cup of Gran Deco = a ski resort in Aizu region, Fukushima Pref. I bought it when I was a kid (It's "Roughly" 20+ years ago). To show it is my gear, I added the Gran Deco cup next to my gears:p (I'll add the cup or my cat when I show my new gears).
IMG_20210606_054328.jpg

IMG_20210606_054431.jpg

A good chain of fishing shops around Yokohama & Tokyo is Tackleberry. They have new and 2nd hand gear.
The best bargains are the almost unused, 2nd hand fishing rods. You can find some in perfect condition. (my 3.5m carbon fibre rod was one of these.) But best to buy new reels.
Shimano & Daiwa reels are a lot cheaper in Japan, than in Australia.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

This is Buri.
hamachi_s.jpg

Kingfish off the beach! Great video!
Wow!!!!

Solid butt third on that rig - beefy as!

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015
I was at a neighbors house this morning, hes 70+ european gent who ties his own flys and hunts trout here on lake eucumbene.
He opened an old roll top desk and it was his little factory, i wish i had a photo.
He used to make a lure he calls snowy minnow, told me he couldnt keep up with demand and stopped making them.
Amazing old timer who started fishing as a child in italy, also used to hunt snowgeese on skis during winter with a bow and arrow he made himself.
Off topic i know but a life lived well.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Another 4 hour fishing (2 hours on the beach and 2 hours inside a fishing port). The picture below is the beach.
IMG_20210606_161955.jpg

This is inside the fishing port. I fished 7 fishes (such as Aji and Umi-Tanago).

IMG_20210606_172718.jpg

This is Umi-Tanago. Look at the big stomachLOL.
IMG_20210606_180206.jpg

She was pregnant with 10 babies:oops:.
IMG_20210606_180558.jpg

The 10 baby Umi-Tanago were today's dinner for my cat (= Rao). I said "Mate" = wait, so he was waiting (he is a very good boy);)
IMG_20210606_180711.jpg

He ate all of them:). I ate the mother fish as Namerou. This is about Namerou : https://foodinjapan.org/kanto/namerou/
IMG_20210606_180738.jpg

I fished 3 Aji. The cooked fish below is one of Aji I fished this afternoon:). The white round-shaped one is garlic and I grew it by myself (farming / gardening is also my big hobby:thumbs:)
IMG_20210606_181100.jpg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
A good chain of fishing shops around Yokohama & Tokyo is Tackleberry. They have new and 2nd hand gear.
The best bargains are the almost unused, 2nd hand fishing rods. You can find some in perfect condition. (my 3.5m carbon fibre rod was one of these.) But best to buy new reels.
Shimano & Daiwa reels are a lot cheaper in Japan, than in Australia.

Yep, Tackleberry is good!. They are nationwide chain, so there are some around our properties too. Their "used" fishing rods and reels often look newer than my 2 week old rods and reels. The Ajing rod I bought it for the project looked really new. They were selling it as a used item, but the condition was really as good as new ones = "unused" ones. The only difference was, the Ajing rod was not with the original rod bag.

Reactions: Sandy

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
aji looks like a Mackral and tai is a snapper

most of the fishing gear we get in Australia is Japanese.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Long time ago I vent out fishing with my Uncle in law. A hole day on the Setonaikai, from Suoo-Oshima 周防大島町.

Coming in and not catch anything that day!:headbang::headbang:

No fish.jpg

Next day we were back in Asaka - my uncle in law went out again an got a lot of fish, just to send it us in Asaka to eat it.
I do like Japanese transport of cold and frozen things!

Sorry, picture before my digital age.

I love your pictures!.

So, you were 坊主(Bouzu) on the day:p. Bouzu means Buddhist priest or their hair style (they keep their hair shaved). So, it means "no hair" = "no fish". It's a common Japanese fishing term. You can use the magical excuse "今日は潮が悪かった". It means Today's 潮 was bad (so I couldn't fish anything). 潮 is tide, but in this case, it has more meanings (as a fishing term). Anyway, if 潮 is bad, even professional anglers can't fish anything, so it can be a magical excuse:p

To avoid becoming Bouzu, I always keep this kind of magical item called "Jigging Sabiki". This evening, I'll go fishing again and I can't be Bouzu today because I want to get yummy cheese cakes and chocolate cakes!. I mean, I grow many vegetables and fruits, and I catch fishes by myself. Some people are waiting for my vegetables, fruits and fishes!. If I give them enough quantity of vegetables and fishes they like, they'll give me my favorite cakes in return. I'll meet one of them tonight, so I need to catch yummy fishes and I can't be BouzuLOL
JIGGING-SABIKI-3-2.jpg

Look at this video. The guy is using the magical item (Jigging Sabiki) and catching a lot of fishes:thumbs:

This video is also about Jigging Sabiki.

Reactions: Hyst

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
We also call "Buri" Kingfish, or yellowtail Kingfish. Last year's tourism shutdown let me fish summer and autumn in Hokkaido for various trout species, as well salmon of northeast Hokkaido. Covid has been destructive but it was a silver lining for a fishing addict like me. Hope you catch plenty @Ramenman. The "Buri" I have caught in Australia were all via deep water jigging from boats on the far south coast. Also land based lure fishing from the rocks.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
This morning (4am - 6am), I was "Bouzu":cry:. I only fished seaweed:crap:
IMG_20210610_051530.jpg

I wish it were Hirame! (I was targetting at Hirame this morning)
IMG_20210610_053500.jpg

A girl is fishing Hirame in this video. Hirame is an expensive delicious fish. A lot of people try to fish Hirame from beaches here in Japan.

I really like Sushi of Engawa (Hirame is used for Engawa). This link is about Engawa : http://trip-n-travel.com/listicle/11483/

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Likeをして下さってありがとうございます。
1981年の私です。40年後の今の私もあまり変わりませんよ;)
よく見ると、私共の娘がこんな感じの笑顔を見せます。
来る冬に日本でスキーをしたいものだとおもっています。
夫がラーメンマンさんとの交流をとても楽しみにしています。
付き合いきれないおやじギャグの連続かと思いますが、よろしく願い申し上げます。

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Likeをして下さってありがとうございます。
1981年の私です。40年後の今の私もあまり変わりませんよ;)
よく見ると、私共の娘がこんな感じの笑顔を見せます。
来る冬に日本でスキーをしたいものだとおもっています。
夫がラーメンマンさんとの交流をとても楽しみにしています。
付き合いきれないおやじギャグの連続かと思いますが、よろしく願い申し上げます。
素敵なコメント、ありがとうございます:D

今、日本は3時半、早朝です(まだ外は暗いです)。そう、私は今日も朝日を見ながらビーチ(砂浜)で釣りをするために早起きしました;)。今は釣りの準備に忙しいので帰ったらまたコメント(返信)を書きます:fishing:.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
真夜中に起こしてしまったかと心配しましたが、釣りのための早起きと伺って安心しました。
ちなみに、こちらは、緯度56度なので、夏至直前の今は、とっぷり暮れることがありません。
夜9時前の今も、日本の夕方のようで、真夜中もしらじらとして、北の空は夕焼けのように赤っぽい時もあります。
40年前、初めてこちらに来た時、それが一番のカルチャーショックでした。
冬は、その逆ですが。
お気をつけて、お出かけください。良い朝日が見られますように。

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Fished a small Hirame 5min ago. The R is R of Ramenman;)

IMG_20210612_052358.jpg

Another sunrise time fishing on a beach (we enjoyed fishing from 4:00am to 6:30am this morning):). Two small Hirame and some other "boring" fishes I caught this morning:fishing:. Hirame is nicely expensive and yummy fish and I like Hirame. Actually, I was targeting at Hirame this morning, so I'm happy. Not "very" happy though in that nether of them is adult size.

IMG_20210612_052315.jpg

We cooked and ate two Hirame for breakfast:D:thumbs:.
IMG_20210612_070226.jpg

The head of Hirame = We don't eat but my cat eats;)
IMG_20210612_071009.jpg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I'll enjoy beach / surf fishing tomorrow morning (for 3 hours from 3:50am to 6:50am) too. Our fishing style is so called "Run & Gun" (Not sure if it is an English fishing term or not but at least it is called Run & Gun in Japan). Run & Gun = keep walking while casting lures without staying at a same place for long. Walking and casting lures for 3 hours * 5 days per week = my recent life (my working hours is very flexible, so I can do it). Walking on a beach for 3 hours per day (while casting lures) is a good exercise. Actually, skiing keeps my weight ideal in winter and fishing keep my weight ideal in green season. Without them, I would be 5 to 7kg heavierLOL

• Wow
Reactions: Hyst

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Fished 5mins ago

IMG_20210613_052718.jpg

I've fished some this morning and I'd say this 50 or 51cm Magochi (Flathead) is the "Today's Best fish". It's also yummy fish but filleting Magochi for Sashimi / Sushi is not very easy (I can, but somehow my father likes filleting fishes, so he is filleting the Magochi now). By the way, 50cm Magochi = average ski lift ticket price (or even more):cool::thumbs:
IMG_20210613_072508.jpg

How to make the Magochi (Flathead) Sushi​

Rao (my cat) is interested in the fish. "Okay, we'll give you some, so, calm down;)"
IMG_20210613_072413.jpg

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I've fished some this morning and I'd say this 50 or 51cm Magochi (Flathead) is the "Today's Best fish". It's also yummy fish but filleting Magochi for Sashimi / Sushi is not very easy (I can, but somehow my father likes filleting fishes, so he is filleting the Magochi now). By the way, 50cm Magochi = average ski lift ticket price (or even more):cool::thumbs:
IMG_20210613_072508.jpg

Rao (my cat) is interested in the fish. "Okay, we'll give you some, so, calm down;)"
IMG_20210613_072413.jpg

Flathead sushi!!
50cm is a good size

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I've fished some this morning and I'd say this 50 or 51cm Magochi (Flathead) is the "Today's Best fish". It's also yummy fish but filleting Magochi for Sashimi / Sushi is not very easy (I can, but my father somehow likes filleting fishes, so he is filleting the Magochi now). By the way, 50cm Magochi = average ski lift ticket price (or even more):cool::thumbs:
IMG_20210613_072508.jpg

View attachment 198427
I've filleted hundreds of flathead, and there's an easier way to fillet them in less than a minute(or if you're skilfull, even less than that!!!!):
- Gut it first.(if you like, but not neccessary)
- Don't scale it, don't remove the head or the tail.
- Turn the fish on its side, and insert the knife behind the front fins, cut towards the head to the backbone, then turn the knife and work it quickly along the backbone, holding the fish by the head. (watch out for the spikes behind the gills) Cut ALMOST to the tail.
- Skinning: Starting at the tail end, insert the knife (as shown in the video, holding the knife flat), but instead of working the knife along the skin, hold the the skin at the tail and pull the skin while holding the knife still. (When you pull, move the skin slightly left and right) The skin comes off completely in about 1-2 seconds. Or you can hold the tail and you can pull the flesh off by hand and the bones come off with the skin (but you lose a bit of meat)

Here's a video that explains:

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I've filleted hundreds of flathead, and there's an easier way to fillet them in less than a minute(or if you're skilfull, even less than that!!!!):
- Gut it first.(if you like, but not neccessary)
- Don't scale it, don't remove the head or the tail.
- Turn the fish on its side, and insert the knife behind the front fins, cut towards the head to the backbone, then turn the knife and work it quickly along the backbone, holding the fish by the head. (watch out for the spikes behind the gills) Cut ALMOST to the tail.
- Skinning: Starting at the tail end, insert the knife (as shown in the video, holding the knife flat), but instead of working the knife along the skin, hold the the skin at the tail and pull the skin while holding the knife still. (When you pull, move the skin slightly left and right) The skin comes off completely in about 1-2 seconds. Or you can hold the tail and you can pull the flesh off by hand and the bones come off with the skin (but you lose a bit of meat)

Here's a video that explains:

This is how I do it

Reactions: Ramenman and Sandy

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Flathead is what i will be targeting tomorrow. @Ramenman do you have size limits for these in Japan. In Queensland the minimum size is 40cm and the maximum size is 75cm ( over 75 will be female and breeders ).
"Basically", there aren't laws for it, however, there can be some local rules (it depends on the regions). For examples, I fished two small Hirame (= Flounders) yesterday. One of them is 25cm or less. Some regions (not my region) are asking anglers to release Hirame less than 25cm but it's not mandatory (it's just a request). If you catch only one small Hirame (or Magochi = Flathead), I think nobody will blame you even if you don't release it. However, if you catch multiple small flounders (less than 25 - 40cm), it might be better to release them except a few, IMO. Edit : Many anglers make it a rule to release Magochi (flathead) / Hirame (flounders) which are less than 40cm.

Btw, you are fishing in Australia or Japan tomorrow?

Last edited:

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
"Basically", there aren't laws for it, however, there can be some local rules (it depends on the regions). For examples, I fished two small Hirame (= Flounders) yesterday. One of them is 25cm or less. Some regions (not my region) are asking anglers to release Hirame less than 25cm but it's not mandatory (it's just a request). If you catch only one small Hirame (or Magochi = Flathead), I think nobody will blame you even if you don't release it. However, if you catch multiple small flounders (less than 25 - 40cm), it might be better to release them except a few, IMO. Edit : Many anglers make it a rule to release Magochi (flathead) / Hirame (flounders) which are less than 40cm.

Btw, you are fishing in Australia or Japan tomorrow?

These are the size limits where I am in Australia. The government does inspections of fishermen to see if they are obeying the rules

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass