Fixing Mt Buller Car Access Issues

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by benzerknees, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benzerknees

benzerknees Hard Yards

Thought I would start a separate topic on this issue:

Djam says in the Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions, “There is plenty that can be done here to improve the situation for all issues, part of which I've been working on for 6 years, and about to work on it full time. It will address the parking, mountain access, both summer for bikes, winter for skiers and tourists visiting for other activities. It also covers village transport and more snow play areas.

Here is my not so futuristic plan if I was in charge:

• • A Gondala does get built from Mirimbah. It is quick and takes only 15 minutes. It finishes in the “wasteland” above home trail, next to the old village T- bar. Sightseers can walk to Bourke st, tobogganing etc. Skiers can ski to Shakey, or down home trail or go to Bourke st. Eventually another access lift could be built from here to near the top of Fox.
    • • Parking at Mirimbah is limited so land near Merrijg is purchased for extra parking. Autonomous electric busses (the supercapacitor type that charge quickly) run around continuously (like the long term airport carpark). However they are smart and use a app that makes for the most efficient pickup time, and bypass non attended stops. They deliver you to the gondala at Mirimbah within 15 minutes on average.
    • Solar, wind generation and storage are built at the merrijig parking site to power the infrastructure. Shares in the generation company are sold to punters like me, so I get a dividend and the company gets finance.
    • Overnight stayers are mainly parked in the horse hill car park as no day trippers are allowed up the mountain. The Northside lift, has extra gondolas that are put on the line instead of chairs during peak overnighter demand and it runs into the night and very late on Friday night.
    • At the top of northside lift, the overnighters walk straight onto an enclosed, moving walkway. (it is mostly buried so is not blocking the ski run ) The walkway finishes at a newly built "comfort station" next to Blue Bullet top station.
    • From here the overnighters, either wait in the warmth of the comfort station for a village shuttle, or make there own way to their accommodation..... Lighten your load if you wish and leave your skis/boards in lockers overnight and collect when ready to ski.
    • re: my season pass cost thread: the taxi service is still available in greatly reduced numbers and is more expensive and no longer needs to be subsidized by the day trippers!

#1 benzerknees, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Vertikar and Tanuki like this.
  2. Alfred14

Alfred14 Addicted
    Ski Pass: Silver

As much as all these ideas are fantastic and i wish they could happen surely the viability of snow seasons in Australia in say 50 years time has to be considered, companies cant make major investments into something that may not make a return in the future.

Froff Life, Tanuki and currawong like this.
  3. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass: Gold

Considering that Buller has only been a fully developed resort for the last 70 years since the 40s I would suggest any development that lasts 50 years from now would be worth it as much as any development in the past.

4. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture

So much more so given advancements in snowmaking and summer grooming

5. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

In the future Buller expects to have longer seasons on fewer runs.

Chaeron and Jellybeans1000 like this.
  6. Hunter

Hence the year on year push to secure and improve the longevity and quality of those core runs, the " Buller Wagon Wheel "
    Spread the crowds to all points :

Standard > Skyline > Southside > LBS > Family > Summit > SS > Burnt Hut > SK > Bourke st and around we go again............

Bullers shape really helps this circuit and when they are all running like the last 2 weeks or so it is gold .............

Jellybeans1000 and CarveMan like this.
  7. Seth

Seth Pool Room

Fastest way possible to $1000 day tickets!

8. benzerknees

benzerknees Hard Yards

The way I see it, is they have to do something like this or just close the parking by 10:30 every peak weekend.
    If I knew that on a Saturday that I did not have to be "8 at the gate" , that I could be guaranteed a no fuss 10:30 am start on an icy day, i would do it. That would spread the peak out and allow more income and less stress for everyone.
    I have not done the taxi service since I was a kid, but I image it is still a pain, especially on a cold snowy Friday night.
    In fact the "Buller parking and access system" has not changed much in 40 years, while the Melbourne population has doubled I would say.

9. Seth

Seth Pool Room

What you proposed won’t happen. Just too expensive.

Just because the population of Melbourne has doubled doesn’t mean the skiing visitor numbers have.

currawong likes this.
  10. Alfred14

Alfred14 Addicted

Unfortunately all signs point to declining seasons. (as much as i wish it wasnt true!)

[​IMG]

11. DbSki

The annual snowfall at Spencers Creek is not representative of Victorian resorts it's in a different state however this is certainly not the thread thread to be making the case for climate change.
    There is a thread for that in Bear Pit.

12. Alfred14

Alfred14 Addicted

I'm not trying to make a case just saying that it is obvious snow depths are declining and that has been shown with real recorded data.

Tanuki likes this.
  13. DbSki

But that is not what this thread is about.
    The future is the future, this thread is about solutions for now and the next 20 to 30 years.
    The no snow in future is the same line opponents of development at Buller have used among others but its not going to fly in here.

14. GS

GS A Local

Maybe there isn’t a problem.

Presumably all day tripping skiers will be in the resort early so the only people denied access are day tripping snowball throwers. They can simply be bussed up from somewhere down low. If they change the entry to online booking only they’ll have a fair idea of how many buses will be needed.

Seth likes this.
  15. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

Or engineer a change of State government/ policy, and tar the Sterling road to create a traffic circuit - one way up, one way down....

There’s NO environmental loss in tarring the Sterling road and creating a decent Buller-Sterling loop.

Seth and CarveMan like this.
  16. DbSki

That idea has been canvased many times and is a decent solution.

Chaeron and CarveMan like this.
  17. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local

Eye rolls to the extreme

18. Hunter

Why ?

The point is correct

DbSki likes this.
  19. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local

However it is a nice peaceful snowshoe or cross country ski at the moment.

20. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local

Not really, Spencer's CK may be in another state but the data is relevant. Plus climate change is the god damned elephant in the room.

On a positive note, I think a gondola from Mirimbah would be feasible.

21. DbSki

Speaking of elephants last season broke long time records for snow falls.
    So lets just get back to this thread topic.

22. Alfred14

Alfred14 Addicted

Gondola is the best solution but it just comes down to financial viability

Tanuki likes this.
  23. djam

djam One of Us

You might look at the cost to do this, you don't just tar over dirt. The costs of road building is
    huge. I believe the Gap link road project is now dead, I'll have to get the details, I don't
    recall the what I was told, only that a lot of money was spent in that direction, for no result.

Just a heads up on the behind the scenes stuff that happens. As part on getting approval for
    the new Dam, the RMB had to offset land on Stirling, which locks up further use of that land.
    This is not new, each time land is used around Buller, taken from say natural landscape, another
    area has to be offset. I believe the Dam had to get approval from 5 different Government bodies.

So when you might say, if I was in charge, this is what I would do, that position you speak of,
    needs to be at Minister level. Not manager level (i.e. RMB).

24. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local

More eye rolls.

25. Hunter

The thread is dealing with this season, the next, the next 5 etc
    Suspect snowmaking is making up for a declining natural snowfall anyway
    When the new dam is built and snow making expands further all the runs on the above wagon wheel will be reliable, some more than others but all will be open for a good part of a typical season

MickM and DbSki like this.
  26. DbSki

Go roll your eyes in Bear Pit and stop trying to hijack Buller development threads.

27. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local

Mate, you're the one hijacking it by bringing your climate change denial and trying to police others from merely mentioning it. Get over it and embrace science.
    I'm all for the OP and agree with it.

28. Alfred14

Alfred14 Addicted

I would love to see development at Buller, all i was saying is no developer in their right mind would consider investing without also considering the declining peak snow depth, doesn't mean investing is wrong or bad.

Tanuki likes this.
  29. Hunter

Seriously, you are in wrong thread

DbSki likes this.
  30. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local

As I said, I support the OP. I didn't initially raise the issue of the trend to declining snow depths. Someone else did. It's hard to have a discussion about long term infrastructure development and sunk costs without acknowledging global warming. Sorry.

Alfred14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.