1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Review Fleece lined riggers gloves

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by teleroo, Aug 16, 2019 at 7:39 PM.

1. teleroo

teleroo Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Last ski trip I noticed the ski patrol out wearing the fleece lined riggers gloves. I've had the expensive gloves, and got a bit dismayed at the rate they get shredded externally by ski edges, icey chair lifts etc, and who knows what goes on with the fragile waterproof membrane you can't really see. So picked up a pair for $25 from the camping store at Cooma, took then home, coated them well in snow seal (bees wax), left them in the sun for the wax to soak in. Have been skiing in them happily for the last week, including Saturday and Sunday of the big storm. Here's what I think.

Gloves are very comfy, especially after they adjust to your own hand shape and plenty warm enough for 1-2 degrees below zero. They start getting a bit too warm at about 5 deg C though I'd say, but overall good for most Aus winter days. Seem to breath sufficiently for this temp range too. Probably need to reapply snow seal each night or two, which I haven't done this trip. From a skiing perspective I'd probably like some cords to attach to wrists, but hey.

My plan is to use these gloves as regular day to day ski gloves for most days now, and save the expensive fancy gear for the extra bad days. I don't expect them to be waterproof but my number 1 rule of skiing these days is don't ski in the rain. Cold snowy days with dry precipitation worked fine. Shell was occasionally a bit damp but never noticed moisture through the fleece, and shell seemed to dry by itself over the day.

At $25 per pair, you can have a couple of pairs to rotate between and still be ahead. Can't post pics ATM but will try for upload later.

southpaw, Bogong, robbo mcs and 2 others like this.
  2. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

They are very common at club fields in NZ because gripping a tow rope for a second before attaching a nutcracker tends to wear out "fashion gloves" rather quickly. Riggers gloves are more durable and cheaper to replace, so they are fairly popular.

teleroo likes this.
  3. teleroo

teleroo Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Pic of what I was talking about...