Flights To Japan

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Presto, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Presto

Presto Hard Yards

Looking at heading to Japan (NRT) for a week in late May next year (2018) Looking to fly either BRIS/GC direct.
    I have done the usual checks skyscanner etc..am I best to buy now at the best rate I can find or am I likely to find a better deal coming in to xmas/new year sales.
    Flight Centre currently has 'Asia on sale' deal going which seems ok.
    Peoples thoughts?
    TIA

2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Also look at Haneda, you will see more results. Haneda has no curfew, so it has more options with various airlines.

3. Presto

Presto Hard Yards

Thanks will do

4. blowfin

blowfin One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Seemed to me like the best recent fares for my mid January trip were about 8 weeks out from my flight date, they dropped prices for a few days last week, then they jumped back up a bit again before the weekend. Qantas and Singapore Airlines have basically sold all their basic economy seating now, that wasn't the case a few weeks back. I'd been watching for a few weeks, and didn't jump at the first price drop, but didn't lose too badly. You can certainly wait for a bit longer I'd say. I'd almost instantly assume demand will be lower at the time of the year too, it's not snow season, it's a bit late for cherry blossom season, and it's not quite summer yet.

5. Sandy

Just as well it's not early May....
    It's the absolute worst time to visit Japan. Golden Week, when there are 3 PH spread over one and a half weeks. People take extra days off, and everywhere is bloody crowded, hotels are expensive, Shinkansens are full...

6. Presto

Presto Hard Yards

May is a loose date at this point in time. I could go later if flights are cheaper however it will be a birthday present and I have a gap I can work with for time off.

7. blowfin

blowfin One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

"Avoid early May" because - Golden Week, good tip ;)

8. Sandy

The days for Golden Week in 2018:
    Mon 30th April
    Thu 3rd May
    Fri 4th May

So the bulk will take Tue 1st, Wed 2nd off, so it will be super busy from evening Fri 27th, Sunday 6th.
    ## Tip:
    I often fly out of Japan early, and come back late. So 2018 for example, leave evening Wed 25th/morning Thu 26th, return Mon 7th. At these times, the flights can be really cheap!!! So you could fly in on Mon 7th, for a week!!

9. Presto

Presto Hard Yards

Thanks heaps for the tip Sandy

10. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

Useful info about Japan flights. I'm looking at going to Europe with my son in May using JAL and Finnair. A stopover on the way back (to visit folks in Yudanaka) might fit in on the way home but maybe not, depending on time. Cost is also a factor as irt adds about $600 to the Y fare. However at least going I like the day time flight to Narita then a departure next morning for Rome via Helsinki for a late afternoon arrival.

Works well re jet lag that pattern - if one can sleep in a bed. Technically it is not a stopover but I figure that by taking PJs and change in carry on we could stay in an airport hotel then get back airside but does anyone know if you can do that. I recall even back ten years ago security was tight at Narita, having to get through security just to get to the terminal building so am wondering if it can still be done.

11. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Addicted

Just received an email from Qantas. Among various offers is Sydney to Narita for $349 one way (Economy obviously) and includes the period 22 January 2019 - 28 February 2019.

12. gaz35

gaz35 Hard Yards

i got these prices 2 days ago - thought they were pretty good

Kimski likes this.
  13. azzski

azzski Should know better

Yep just received this email too. Same prices & dates Melb - Narita. Last day of sale 14/5/18.

Melb - Haneda also advertised as $399 one way economy $749 Premium Economy, but it's a lot more than that in the typical peak ski window.

14. azzski

azzski Should know better

The flight back is not significantly discounted.

15. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

QF flights Brisbane to Sapporo between 22Jan - 27 from $349.00 one way. Sale ends 14 May. Pity i'm booked up for that period.

16. shepski

shepski Hard Yards

Just booked flights from Perth - Tokyo for $740 p/p and they have a pretty wide window of flights during the ski season. Seems pretty reasonable to me!

17. blowfin

blowfin One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Which airline? I was looking at Air Asia X a while back but once I added luggage and etc. I was better off just going with a full service carrier. Seems like Thai and Singapore Airlines have the best fares right at the moment. I'm fussy with my flight length, and arrival/departure times too, which usually costs me a bit more :p

Thai is the best price but their times are a bit lumpy, Singapore the winner at the moment for me from Perth.

18. shepski

shepski Hard Yards

Sorry - Singapore Airlines!! (can't believe I missed that important detail) Leaves Perth 5.30pm, arrives Narita 7.30am which gives us some time in Tokyo to do some shopping then we'll head out to Shiga Kogen. Flight back is from Haneda at 4.40pm arriving back in Perth 5.25am. There were some flights on Thai Airways which were a bit cheaper but the times weren't so good.

blowfin likes this.
  19. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Singapore Airlines is fantastic. I will always pay a bit extra to fly them. Stop-over's in Changi are always very efficient.

20. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Malaysian Airlines have some recent deals to Japan at the moment.

Some dummy bookings - you can get return circa $600 (tried out Jan 21, return 14 Feb SYD - NRT). Flight times a bit woeful at around 17 - 22HRS.

But if you don't mind a bit of transferring, I believe Malaysian Air is an okay outfit. Maybe try a stop over to make the most of the poor connection times.

Froff Life likes this.