Flying to Sapporo

ausbob

Addicted
Feb 9, 2004
brisbane
Just a quick note to see what are the different routes and airlines people take to get to Sapporo. I'm in Brisbane and either have to go through Sydney (Qantas) or change airports in Tokyo (Qantas). Have a 12 hour wait in Hong Kong (Cathay). Or drive to Coolangatta and risk my flight being cancelled or delayed as always with Jetstar. Any suggestions would be great. I'm happy to wait in Hong Kong or go via Sydney but I just want to see if I'm missing something.????

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
ausbob said:
Just a quick note to see what are the different routes and airlines people take to get to Sapporo. I'm in Brisbane and either have to go through Sydney (Qantas) or change airports in Tokyo (Qantas). Have a 12 hour wait in Hong Kong (Cathay). Or drive to Coolangatta and risk my flight being cancelled or delayed as always with Jetstar. Any suggestions would be great. I'm happy to wait in Hong Kong or go via Sydney but I just want to see if I'm missing something.????
You can get to Chitose really easily from Brisbane. This used to be the case flying through narita without changing airports..Brisbane departures is the only one timewise that allows you to do this
QANTAS AIRWAYS
QF0369
(Operated by Japan Airlines Intl)
Departs: Sun 15 Nov 09 08:45
Arrives: Sun 15 Nov 09 17:05

Economy - Direct flight

Leg 2
Narita (NRT) - Sapporo Chitose (CTS)

JAPAN AIRLINES
JL3047
Departs: Sun 15 Nov 09 18:40
Arrives: Sun 15 Nov 09 20:25

Last edited by a moderator:

biri_island_surf

Hard Yards
Dec 8, 2009
gold coast , queensland
Visit site
last time i flew from brisbane it was with jal [ qantas code share ] and there was a connecting flight to chitose , or limo bus [ from narita ] over to hanada then onto chitose , same night .

i live on the gc and fly jetstar now , no problemo so far .

ausbob

Addicted
Feb 9, 2004
brisbane
I know people fly jetstar and have no problems, I really didn't mean to make this a defend jetstar post but I have had problems both times. I was really just seeing if there were any other options. Thanks

Toto Warmlet

One of Us
Sep 2, 2003
advance fares can be quite cheap on the Jal and ANA domestic sites, and theres' quite a few flights daily, always a problem trying to get back to Narita from Chitose, almost all flights go to Haneda.

McNads

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Beaudesert, QLD
Yep, there's 2 more options, Continental Micronesia & Korean Air.

We did Continental from Cairns last season. Was a bit crappy on the times (i.e. overnight flight), leave Cairns approx. 1am arrive Guam approx. 6am. Leave Guam approx. 8am arrive Chitose approx. 11.30am local time. Both flights on 737s. The second leg for us was only half full flight and we each got 3 seats to lay down on. Was great flying into Hokkaido in the middle of the day, we lucked in with a perfect, cloudless bluebird day, could see for hundreds of kilometres, could clearly see Niseko, Rusutsu, Lake Toya, the straight between the mainland and Hokkaido, the central mountains as we hooked around to land, the coastline, the country side, everything, was very cool. Coming home leave Chitose approx. 1pm arrive Guam late afternoon, leave Guam early evening and arrive Cairns close to midnight. All in all, I wouldn't be adverse to doing it that way again.

With Korean (have not done it yet) leave Brisbane mid-morning from memory, arrive Seoul approx. 5pm stay overnight in quality hotel (included in ticket price) and arrive Chitose approx. 11am next day.

I got quotes for both these airlines last time and they were both approx. $1,500 return. Decided to go Continental as Cairns is very quick International airport to get in and out of and was interested to see Guam (albeit from a plane window). Guam spun me out, much more urbanised then I imagined, like a big city stuck on an island in the middle of the ocean - a loooooong way from anywhere.

Style Doggie

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
I was talking to a Qantas pilot a couple of weeks ago and discussing skiing Japan. He said he had heard a rumour they may be flying Sydney-Sapporo (Chitose) direct next season. He was a long way from being certain but said he had heard that it was being discussed.

However given you can book next season flights already you would think they would have released these fares.

Heres hoping anyway.

Peejay

Hard Yards
May 11, 2005
Adelaide
Was speaking to a flight attendant recently who said one of the reasons they stopped flying direct, was that the flights coming back from Sapporo were often under capacity.

Not sure why, maybe some people stopover in Tokyo or other Honshu resorts on way back and fly out of Narita.

After flying JAL from Haneda to Sapporo a few weeks ago on a plane that was only about a third full, I am not surprised that they went broke, if that is the norm!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

McNads

One of Us
Apr 23, 2002
Beaudesert, QLD
My brother works for Qantas, his take on it was that both aircraft and pilot shortages necessitated rationalisation of services provided. Though the Sapporo route WAS profitable, it was unfortunately one of the flights identified to be dropped owing to the seasonal nature of the service (and associated lower priority ranking).

Apparently, when the aircraft and pilot resourcing issues are rectified the service will again be offered.

JA2340

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2004
Tamworth
Peejay said:
Not sure why, maybe some people stopover in Tokyo or other Honshu resorts on way back and fly out of Narita.

But the far better option is to fly into Japow, do a week touristy stuff and THEN fly internal to Sapporo or wherever. The ski gear can be sent to destination by Takkyubin from inbound airport and you are free to play silly bu99ers around without the heavy/bulky stuff (which is waiting for you at the end of your playing around!).

rangerider

A Local
Jun 14, 2008
We chose the Melb-Sydney-Tokyo-Chitose option today. Hong Kong is less mucking around but more flight time. Plus the fact that the Cathay flight left Melb at 1.00am. Good and bad sides for both options I reckon. We might have gone the Hong Kong way if the flight times were better for us. The flights to Hong Kong are probably less likely to be full.

rangerider

A Local
Jun 14, 2008
laugh.gif
I hear ya.

I had no idea flights would be so chockers. I thought it would be easing up this time of year but apparently it's a very busy time for people going to Japan, just not overly busy with people going to the snow. I think the stops and probably re-checking of luggage at Sydney will give us the $hits a bit. When are you heading over luvtha?

rangerider

A Local
Jun 14, 2008
Leaving on the 15th of March and returning on the 24th. I hope we get lucky with the snow because we saved nearly 3K between us by going late in the season. No Tokyo this time for us unfortunately. Great city, lots of fun.

D

d15812

You can definitely fly in to Asahikawa via South Korea (Asiana airlines). I did it last year (well I actually flew out that way, not in)

nadeals

First Runs
Feb 17, 2010
With JAL in bankruptcy, there's been talk around of dropping the Brisbane/Narita flight all together.

Already gone from daily 450 seat 747 to a daily 230 seat 767, so guess what ... a lot of the cheap seats disappear.

JAL have major legacy airline problems, ie. far to many staff, all getting paid far to much. Bit like BA who also might not be around that much longer.

Best bet if going to Japan next northern winter is book early, as there are not going to be any of those last minute specials.

Same applies everywhere, especially with all the capacity cuts ... it's the cheap seats, many loss leaders, that disappear.

Look at LAX. Fares got down to $899 return of which about $400 was government taxes/charges inc fuel surcharges.

Assuming fuel surcharge roughly covers extra cost of fuel, airline gets about $499 for return to LAX. No one can make money & survive very long with lots of seats at those prices even the low cost airlines like AIr Asia X.

ausbob

Addicted
Feb 9, 2004
brisbane
Spoke to a pilot in qantas who said if JAL drop flights, qantas may take on the sydney sapporo route again. All speculation though.
The Sydney - Hong Kong - Sapporo route comes up as about $7000 dollars (on Cathay Web site), does anyone know what's going on there. I was thinking flying down to Sydney from Brisbane so I would only have 4 hours in HK, but prices only seem to come up as $7K.

ausbob

Addicted
Feb 9, 2004
brisbane
JA, what is OOL, if this is coolangatta, then my previous post of I won't fly jetstar applies (again personnal experience). Looking at flying through sydney - HK - Sapporo. I think this should end up the best option, but I will have to phone to find out what the deal is with regards to the $7000 because surely the flights can't be this much.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass