System Update Fonts, margins and spacings improved for mobile phones.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
In the forum changes thread this morning i was struggling to read the quote from NYT on my tablet. I brought the same post up on my phone and compared the screens. Font sizes looked the same. I think the difference is that I (and probably many others)tend to naturally hold a phone closer to my eyes than I hold a tablet.

Just food for thought, but an increase in quote font size on tablets might be worth considering

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
In the forum changes thread this morning i was struggling to read the quote from NYT on my tablet. I brought the same post up on my phone and compared the screens. Font sizes looked the same. I think the difference is that I (and probably many others)tend to naturally hold a phone closer to my eyes than I hold a tablet.

Just food for thought, but an increase in quote font size on tablets might be worth considering

Yes, the quoted font is increased only a skerrick. I'll up it one more point.

Reactions: currawong

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Ok. Done if you hold your tablet in portrait. In landscape it's the same @Media as desktop, so not playing with that yet.

This UI.X theme is getting updated to latest release shortly, probably late this week or early next week. So won't make any custom changes to desktop until that is done.

Reactions: currawong

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Ok. Done if you hold your tablet in portrait. In landscape it's the same @Media as desktop, so not playing with that yet.

This UI.X theme is getting updated to latest release shortly, probably late this week or early next week. So won't make any custom changes to desktop until that is done.
Isn't css a bitch!
Quoted text in portrait is much better thanks. Most of the time it will be very easy to just change how i hold the tablet so i can get the bigger text.

Being pedantic i would say that when in hospital i have turned off auto rotate to make it easier to read lying down. In a perfect world.... but then a perfect world wouldn't contain css - or djotd

Reactions: Marty McSly

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
nup, very few fiddle with their OS fonts and if they do a web designer should ignore that and assume default.

The weight of UX evidence is in. Mobile fonts are bigger for good reason - time on mobile has exploded. Eyes get tired.

Depending on the font family used 16~18px is standard for mobile on every site you visit now. I've dropped it to 16px from 17px as concession.

I'm not entering argument on this, I've just completed a 3 month project where a small team of us benchmarked this issue across all major national and international publishers.

You'll get used to it, and your eyes will thank me.
I was another wondering what was broken and trying to zoom out, check settings etc. I think the 17-16 drop improved a little and it's somewhat bearable, but the scrolling issue is real, particularly when on the move and holding the phone a little precariously - eg standing (swaying) on the train.

Just played with rotating to landscape and this might be an option except the avatar and other elements revert to desktop style on phone as well as I think you mentioned about tablets (this actually reduces the amount of text/posts you can see on the screen in landsape vs portrait). If you kept these elements the same in landscape as portrait on mobile it might be a better 'feel'?

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Great to see that somebody recognizes people over the age of 40! Now - how to fix the stupidly small and near impossible text in the new Android 7.0 operating software????

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass