1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Food at Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Hilary, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Hilary

Hilary First Runs

I will be staying in Thredbo in a few weeks, travelling there via Canberra from Melbourne.
    I am wondering if anyone knows of any good take-home food I can get in Canberra or Thredbo or en-route as we will be self-catering. I am thinking along the lines of casseroles, semi-prepared meals etc, as we don't want to eat out every night, but equally don't want to do full-on shopping/preparing/cooking. We don't eat takeaway!
    Thanks for any guidance.
    (Nb. For any Melbourne people I am thinking of the quality of Tartine and Gas, Bossy Boots, Gumtree, La Fayette etc)

2. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

If you go through Jindy, Nuggets Crossing has a very good supermarket you should stock up at. I'm not exactly sure how many pre-made quality meals you would be able to get down there.

3. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Probably your best bet would be coles or wollies in Cooma.One is on the main road as you drive through Cooma.
    We normally stop there and do a fair bit of shopping on our way to Jindy.Its a lot larger than the Jindy supermarket and you don't have to deal with the large queues.
    And they do sell a bit of pre-prepared food.

4. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

our regular process is to stop at Woolies Cooma on the way and stock up with groceries.

We are even "responsible" and either bring some reusable shopping bags with us or buy some more while we are there to avoid plastic bags

5. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

We pack everything we need before leaving home. Cold stuff goes in the esky with some ice.

I can recommend the pizza shop at Thredbo too. They deliver, so it's not strictly take-away.

6. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We like the pizza shop as well! Good value for dad and daughter to share a pizza and a coke! Will also put a vote in for cafe42 next to supermarket, toasted sandwich and a coffee for $10, pretty good value for Thredbo!! GREAT SERVICE [​IMG]

#6 Nidecker, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  7. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not quite sure I understand the 'We don't eat takeaway" statement.
    Is that...we avoid 'junk' food, or we don't buy food prepared by others?

You can get takeaway food from t-bar that is the same as the food they serve up in the restaurant for example. Last season I was unwell and my boys went down and brought back braised beef cheeks for me - hardly junk food but still takeaway...

8. Donza

Donza Pool Room

To be honest... the closest decent prepared meals would be Canberra.
    Though that's 3 hours from Thredbo...so refrigeration will be an issue.

9. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Costco in Canberra - near the airport

Aldi in Cooma

Woolies in Cooma - better than Jindy as the range is limited in Jindy

Coles in Cooma.

Like LMB I don't get the "we don't eat takeaway" when you asking about prepared food - i.e a form of take away.

In Cooma and Jindy there are quite a few good restaurants that do "take away". And some places like the place near Cooma Airport for Japanese, the servo in Berridale that does Indian curries etc.

10. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Our cheap eski will keep an awful lot food cold (with ice staying frozen) for a day no prob, especially in alpine temperatures. One eski, whatever food, and a bag of ice = problem solved. Buy in canberra or bring from home.

#10 Piste Again, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  11. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The no takeaway thing has got me too
    Most takeaway would be far more fresh and healthy than any pre packaged meal.
    What do you think additives and preservatives are for

12. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I take it as the OP means the difference between fast food,Burgers, chips and generally crap food that is high in salt compared to pre-prepared healthy food, other than the mass produced food that you may find in the supermarket freezers.
    There is a fair amount of pre-prepared "Fresh" food available these days(in the cities) that are produced with a limited shelf life ,5-14 days and are vacuum packed but not frozen and just need to be microwaved,placed in a oven or heated in a pan.They can range from Lasagnas right through to Thai green curries,kormas and various types of pasta dishes ,ie carbonaras and Quiches,they can be packaged as individual serves or for families.
    Many are prepared using traditional recipes using limited preservatives and additives and are more comparable to home cooked meals in nutrition.

#12 WaitAwhile, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013