1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

foreign employee! could you do me a favor? :-D

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Micah_Jo, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Micah_Jo

Micah_Jo First Runs

hello everybody,
    I am a working holiday worker from S.Korea.

As you can see, I have a lack of English skills.
    Despite of that things, I need your glory information.
    Plz understand my mind and words :) sometime I want to be a telathist.

By the way, I came here today by bus~ at 3 pm.
    Because fortunately I got a offer. I was really happy, so packed my luggage and just came here during 2 days. I feel like flying high, there are too pretty landscape.

Anyway I knew the problem from me that is a lack of information.
    I don't know the systems in the whole of Thredbo. When I saw the bus at the front of information center, I was confused. " where they are going? why they don't pay for a fee?" After a minute or a hour, I got a estimation that here is not the place of living.

Thought I was really worried, I think that I can ask my boss and he would give me a advice. But my first day is tomorrow morning, so i needed to find somewhere to sleep today. And BIG event came to me.

After i had a scouting, I recognized my carrer(luggage) is missing! That made me calm.
    Relax is continuing. It is my fault. Of course I lost everything except one pare of summer clothes, strangely I keep cool. The star of Australia was pretty twinkle. It is caused by my situation that I came here to earn the experience, to be not money. but I am in toilet :D

Anyway.. really thanks for reading this crude words, I need to get your information.
    --------------------------
    Is the most of employee living in? I like a share room. Do that exist? How I can get the information about?

The bus go there?

In the Australia culture, If I ask the boss that I want more work times. Is it rude or uncomfotable? And if I make inquires about approval of second job. I think it is rude... I need to buy many many things....
    --------------------------
    Of course I believe I can find my career :D

Thanks for reading again, I hope you sleep well tonight. @@

2. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ill have a go.

Firstly, good on you for taking this huge adventure, I hope that our country gives you a great experience.

I gave a lift to a Korean guy last season, he was working as a cleaner, had just started snowboarding, had a small amount of english, but was figuring it all out. Have a look around and see if you can find some other Koreans working, they would probably be your best source of information. Dont be afraid to ask people questions, even in poor english, most people will try and help, including your boss.

3. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The buses you would have seen in Thredbo are free shuttle buses that take you around Thredbo. A red one runs between the two sets of ski lifts and past some accomodation. The smaller white ones go to accomodation places.

It is not rude to ask for more work. Explain your situation to your boss and discuss what you can do. It should be okay to find a second job if it does not interfere with your first job. It is better to tell your boss what is happening than have your boss find out later and think you are being secretive. Hopefully they would also be able to tell you where you can find accomodation.

Most workers do not stay in Thredbo. It is very expensive.

There should be an Information Centre in Thredbo. If not one in Thredbo there is one in Jindabyne. Go there explain your situation and they may be able to help you with a few things.

If you know where you lost your luggage you may be able to find it. If you left it on a bus call the bus company. Most people will do whatever they can to help you.

4. Karen97

Karen97 One of Us

I'm living in Thredbo. Pm me and we may be able to meet up and I can show you around.

5. wangster

wangster A Local

That is the single greatest post this forum has ever seen

Seriously, Micah_Jo, I hope you have the best winter ever

#5 wangster, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  6. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

Suggest you go and read the 'Underwear' thread.

#6 TOFF, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  7. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

HI Micah Jo! You're awesome.

8. skiabit

skiabit Hard Yards

Outstanding! I know Micah Jo has the tried hard and I wish him luck but that is a very funny read.