1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Forumites & Their Injuries

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by skifree, Sep 27, 2017.

1. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Absolutely :thumbs:

2. sara777

So my findings :eek:
    • L pelvic twist/imbalance. This puts increased pressure on l side of the body&overworks the low back and hip muscles, joints & discs as it tries to compensate
    • Tight/overloaded muscles: glutes, hami, hip flexors, ITB -> leads to incorrect muscles activation
    • Poor lower limb biomechanics ->underactive VMO
    • Stiff mid-back -> postural overload. This makes neck & shoulders and lower back hips pick up 'the slack'. This is potentially from previous injuries, prolonged poor posture & overdeveloped chest/tight pecs leading to the shoulders pulling forward.
    • forgot to add l sacroiliac joint sprain
    So I am on 3 months rehab program (after I decrease the inflammation etc), and need to retrain & strengthen stabilising muscles, and core coordination.

Let me tell you that dry needling is the best thing ever!
    Thank you for reading :D

3. sara777

You could do with some rehab too!

Undies and Majikthise like this.
  4. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

Don't worry, yer not the only one!

5. cold wombat

Jolly good!

6. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Majikthise likes this.
  7. cold wombat

It's good, but not *that* good, what's wrong?

8. Ozgirl

This is what we talked about. He took the time to discuss all this.

There was a small amount of him making assumptions that i don't necessarily ski steep and deep... i corrected him. Even though i don't necessarily want to go back to my on hill job, we talked about the limitations of no ACL if i did.

I am leaning towards doing it the surgery. But yes because of this...

I feel I am in safe hands.

And my life plans sadly meant i was missing next season anyway. So not a great loss to bide my time!

But he is not making a call either way on the surgery until he tests my stability after the MCL heals.

Apparently my knees are quite flexi on their own... make of that what you will! (both the surgeon and the physio commented on it!)

#1958 Ozgirl, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  9. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

Sounds like he is a keeper. Good choice.

Ozgirl and sara777 like this.
  10. sara777

This makes me happy!

Ozgirl likes this.
  11. Ozgirl

Gosh the have surgery vs dont have surgery camps are each very vocal!

LMB, sara777, nezumi and 1 other person like this.
  12. Adricat

Adricat Addicted

I did as soon as possible. Full ACL reco, partial/ complex meniscus tear, partial PCL & partial popliteal tears. But I'm pretty active all year round, MTB, ski, beach all summer, lotsa bushwalking, dirt bike/ motor bikes, three kids to entertain, gym most days.

13. Ozgirl

Yeah I can't though, MCL has to heal. And bank balance says its smart to save $$$.

The only thing i care about is skiing. I really don't want to modify that to accommodate a ruptured ACL. And I was looking to improve not slow down!

cold wombat and LMB like this.
  14. Adricat

Adricat Addicted

How are you trying to maintain muscle mass and flexion/ extension in a brace?

Wonder why with a partial MCL they advise waiting, but mine didn't with a partial PCL? Just different Dr's approaches I reckon.

15. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Best of luck with the rehab and possible surgery, @Ozgirl. I was strongly advised to have the surgery after rupturing my ACL and tearing my meniscus in 2013 as there was already evidence of arthritis in that knee. I had to wait until the swelling reduced (about 7 weeks, from memory) before he was prepared to operate. Interestingly, the surgeon’s plan to use one of my hamstring tendons as the ‘new’ ACL met a hitch when he found that the tendon wasn’t long enough. So he also inserted (unbeknownst to me at the time) an artificial ligament in addition to the hamstring tendon. His rationale was that the tendon itself would not be strong enough. So far, so good.

On another matter, I’m just wondering if any of you can advise how tight a compression bandage should be? I hurt my upper gastrocnemius two days ago when someone took me out on Pretty Valley at Perisher, and am icing, resting, and using the compression bandage. Should I regularly put it on and take it off?

16. Ozgirl

No, a few people have told me they had to do the same.

It a particular thing with the MCL. everyone i know who did MCL had to wait. and everyone who didn't do MCL, didn't wait.

Find me someone who didn't wait and did their ACL.

I also think it is more to do with the meniscus, thats the thing that screws your knee if you don't get it repaired. time does more damage.

He adjusted my brace to zero for extension and wants me to work on straightening it. Flextion is the issue with the MCL. I accidentally did it more than 90deg in the middle of the night (without the brace on) and i swear my neighbours heard my scream. it was excruciating!

The physio in NZ gave me exercises to do to straighten my quads, and also wanted me to use the full range of the brace multiple time a day. so i sit at a bar stool and swing my leg (at work) most of the day. The Dr agreed with these. but i also have physio booked in for next week. All while waiting for the MCL to heal.

#1966 Ozgirl, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    cold wombat and sara777 like this.
  17. Ozgirl

Firm but should not cut off circulation. Put it on and leave it on. Ice over the bandage. (thats your barrier, ie don't wrap the ice before putting it on)

sara777 and Lady Penelope like this.
  18. Hallouminati

Hallouminati First Runs

February 10, 2002 (not that the date sticks in my mind) I fractured my back in three places snowboarding in Livigno. It was the very first run on the very first day of the holiday, I was at the top of the mountain and somehow caught the front of the board coming down, which put me in the air and landed on my back. Also unconscious. Came too with a helicopter at the side of me, taken to hospital for a week, flown back to the UK (where I was living at the time), in to hospital there for two more weeks, then learn to walk again in rehab. I’ve boarded once since, had a bit of a fall, was fine but made me realise I’ve now got a child, wife and business, and it’s not worth risking. I only ski now, which I’ve done quite a lot since.

I can’t remember the exact figure but when I was in hospital, the nurse (called Nanny Annie and the most beautiful woman I’ve seen in my life!) told me that something like 89% of all snow related accidents were snowboarding.

cold wombat likes this.
  19. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

We've had a very poor experience for my wife - she managed to sublax / partially dislocate her elbow earlier this month. The dislocation was less than 10 minutes, as she was able to straighten her elbow and it relocated easily. The injury follows on from a significant dislocation almost exactly a year ago, where the arm wasn't reset for approx 4 hours due to the significance of the dislocation and the need to ensure there were no fractures prior to resetting it.

She was referred to an elbow and trauma surgeon, and he fits the stereotype of "cutters gonna cut" to a T, with absolutely no bedside manner.

No greeting, poor attention to the cause of the injury or patient history ("Ahh, you're the skateboarder!" "no, I did the injury while snowboarding) or inquiry regarding future activities and desired outcome. His manipulation of the injury site for diagnostic purposes was sub-par; applying pressure to the medial and lateral sides of the elbow concurrently and asking if there was pain, then concluding that the lateral ligament was gone too (no independent lateral pain experienced, and no lateral bruising on someone who bruises ridiculously easily).

His diagnosis is that both the medial and lateral ligaments of the elbow are completely gone and that her only option is surgery.

She is going to have an MRI tomorrow, go to him to see his take on the results, and then we will ask for her imaging and referral letter back to seek another opinion.

20. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

You’re surprised?! LOL
    It’s the ski forum after all...

You do you x

If you have a surgeon who makes his money from cutting into you say WAIT, then that’s a great surgeon who is looking after your best interests.

sara777, chicski and Ozgirl like this.
  21. kylep

kylep One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yikes!

I did a last minute trip to NZ when I fractured/tore my hip socket a few years back, probably 2 months post-injury, while on 6 months of 'no impact' exercise and a certain level of grey regarding snowboarding from the surgeon. Literally first 200m, below the base at Cardrona, and my mate blindside ran into me and I hit the deck hard. VERY lucky it didn't do more damage, did a couple of days and very much kept it all modest.

22. kylep

Any chance of getting an active sports physio to seek out a recommended surgeon for your second opinion? I feel like the referral I got is the main reason I didn't end up having surgery

nezumi and Ozgirl like this.
  23. Ozgirl

Ah its actually work!

There is the us and them camps here.

And everyone has an opinion... maybe i need to get looser pants to go OVER the brace.

sara777 and LMB like this.
  24. LMB

Sorry about your injury, sounds nasty.

And I’ve done a similar a over t nose in stack in Chile that fractured a vertebra - luckily (or not) for me I thought it was just soft tissue and continued to ride for the rest of heli week. It wasn’t until I got home that I realised the danger I had put myself in by continueing to ride.

But I think the 89% of all snow related injuries being from snowboarding is overstating things and maybe a misinterpretation of some surveyed percentages.

southpaw and nezumi like this.
  25. Ozgirl

This!

where are you based. The physio Kyle recommended to me and mine (Balmain sports physio) are great.

I forgot to tell you all. my ortho had a signed picture from Buddy on the wall!

cold wombat, sara777 and kylep like this.
  26. kylep

Just tell em it was a dislocated patella or something instead. Have a little fun!

cold wombat, sara777 and Ozgirl like this.
  27. kylep

@nezumi - the physio I had who got in touch with AFL docs to refer to my surgeon - he's now based in Melbourne, I think around Southbank area

nezumi likes this.
  28. LMB

You’re trialing a new exoskeleton?

cold wombat and kylep like this.
  29. sara777

This is exactly because of the MCL. It is not a different approach. PCL is completely different ligament. There is a lot of info, just look it up.

I also had to wait for my MCL to heal before the ACL was operated on. There is no detriment in delaying the surgery; in fact, there is some research that shows the benefits of strengthening the muscles and regaining full range of movement. Don’t have the time to look it up now but easy to find on google scholar.

Roymond likes this.
  30. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Agree. I’ve had a few visits back to my original surgeon over the past 3-4 years. Each time sent away for more physio. Eventually I’ll need surgery but it’s getting deferred as long as possible.

Roymond, LMB, sara777 and 1 other person like this.
  31. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

.:emoji_arrow_up::emoji_arrow_up::emoji_arrow_up:..This.
    The distal insertion of the medial collateral ligament is just next to where the combined hamstring (gracilis/semitendonosis) graft is taken from. Most studies show that post op pain and function returns faster when you wait for the MCL to repair. There are some who think the chance of graft failure is less when you wait vs operate straight away.

@Adricat managed to completely roger the knee by the looks and the combination of meniscus, ACL and PCL is a completely unstable joint- all of the supporting ligaments are busted. There's more harm done by waiting and letting partial tears extend and become more difficult to trim/repair while mobilising.

Adricat and sara777 like this.
  32. Adricat

Adricat Addicted

Ha, even thinking about putting my foot near the floor had me collapsing with dislocation/ buckling...with added expletives.
    My knee was rockmelon sized overnight and loaf of bread sized above/ below.

Roymond likes this.
  33. cold wombat

Bloody hell. If I may offer some advice, please don't try to top this.

;)

southpaw, kylep and Ozgirl like this.
  34. Ozgirl

Said from experience?

35. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

If you're going to do a job, at least do it properly. That, you certainly did.
    ;)

cold wombat likes this.
  36. cold wombat

I don't want an experience anything like this!

Though I wouldn't mind the heli ride...

;)

Ozgirl likes this.
  37. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think the studies tend to show that boarding results in more injuries while skiing results in more fatalities.

38. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Though I have heard the nickname, "organ donor" used for boarders, by hospital staff.

39. LMB

Those that ride park without a helmet maybe.
    Includes skiers.

sara777 likes this.
  40. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

they chuck boarders in with moto's and mtb.

41. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Is that because boarders are by nature brain dead?*

*disclaimer: intended as a joke, some of my best friends are snow boarders etc.

42. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

So I am on 3 months rehab program (after I decrease the inflammation etc), and need to retrain & strengthen stabilising muscles, and core coordination.

Let me tell you that dry needling is the best thing ever!
    Thank you for reading :D[/QUOTE]

Needling seems to be an individual response.
    I needle my wife and kids non stop and i'm fairly confident that if you asked them they'd say it doesn't help them at all.

43. Adricat

Adricat Addicted

ha ha

44. sara777

Needling seems to be an individual response.
    I needle my wife and kids non stop and i'm fairly confident that if you asked them they'd say it doesn't help them at all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard that and also done a bit of research. It immediately 'activated' my VMO (if that makes sense, it was twitching): I could really feel it and the next morning it was like I knew what my leg should feel like (possibly not making any sense; it's hard to explain).
    Also, my lower back was quite sore on Monday/Tuesday, after the needling it stopped (back on today, though, but possibly due to sitting through a concert last night). Long road ahead, no doubt.
    Not sure about the evidence for fish oil decreasing inflammation but I started taking it. As @Ozgirl says, 'who cares if it's placebo, as long as it helps!' :D

Roymond likes this.
  45. Ozgirl

LOL Sara - he was being factious!

Majikthise and Adricat like this.
  46. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

Yeah, I've heard that and also done a bit of research. It immediately 'activated' my VMO (if that makes sense, it was twitching): I could really feel it and the next morning it was like I knew what my leg should feel like (possibly not making any sense; it's hard to explain).
    Also, my lower back was quite sore on Monday/Tuesday, after the needling it stopped (back on today, though, but possibly due to sitting through a concert last night). Long road ahead, no doubt.
    Not sure about the evidence for fish oil decreasing inflammation but I started taking it. As @Ozgirl says, 'who cares if it's placebo, as long as it helps!' :D[/QUOTE]

My needling is more verbal than physical. I can tell it doesn't work because my wife throws a shoe at me when it gets too much.

cold wombat and Majikthise like this.
  47. sara777

LOLLOLLOL Slow on the intake uptake today (thanks @Ozgirl )

Roymond and cold wombat like this.
  48. sara777

I thought it was odd to dry needle the wife and kids, but you know, I’ve seen stranger things happened LOL

49. Ozgirl

lol "uptake!"

50. sara777

I cannot multitask I was typing this and doing 5 other things LOL
    I better leave this thread before I mess it up even more :cry:LOL