1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Forumites & Their Injuries

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by skifree, Sep 27, 2017.

1. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

Humour is always appreciated, even if it's not intentional.

:)

Kimski, Ozgirl, Majikthise and 2 others like this.
  2. Hallouminati

Hallouminati First Runs

To clarify the percentage, that was in their hospital, not worldwide, or anything, obviously. I can not recall the exact percentage but was the high 80s.

cold wombat likes this.
  3. kylep

kylep One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So you meant to say that 89% of accidents SHE RECALLED were snowboarding? You could anchor ch7/9/10 nightly news throwing around a misquote like that!

On a more serious note though, it wouldn't be too surprising to see snowboarding over-represented at hospitals vs skiing - at beginner level (and even beyond) there's more frequent contact with the ground, and often those people don't know how to fall- so wrists, elbows, arms. At all levels, there's more chance of an accidental edge-catch or similar, and at all levels, having poles and 2 independent legs can help avoid other incidents. At higher skill levels I'd imagine there's similar exposure to risk and impact, particularly off-piste or in park. Maybe more risk aversion from people who are older and generally skiing as it's a bit easier to take it easy on skis and the riskier boarders stop riding or switch to skis?

Ozgirl and nezumi like this.
  4. Hallouminati

Hallouminati First Runs

No, she was stating the percentage of snowsport accident in their hospital that were snowboard related. She gave me a figure. As I pointed out I can not recall exactly which she said. It was high 80s and I believe it was 89. May have been 88. Nothing about how much SHE RECALLED. It was a hospital statistic. Really not sure why you are saying it was a misquote when you were not there.

Yes 100% agreed, it is likely there are more snowboarding accidents due to the actual mechanics of the sport and also the fact that (stereotyping here) it likely has a younger demographic who are possibly more likely to take risks.

5. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

haha

sara777 likes this.
  6. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

southpaw likes this.
  7. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I like what you did there

Majikthise likes this.
  8. billykate

billykate Hard Yards

I know who you're talking about!

9. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

This is the only article that comes close to an 80 something percent of snow sport injuries being snowboarding. And that’s only if you take the higher number for boarders.
    https://www.premax.co/au/blog/recent-statistics-on-skiing-and-snowboarding-injuries

The rest indicate that while there are a large number of minor snowboarding injuries, mainly among beginners, skiers are most at risk of a serious injury.
    https://snowbrains.com/is-skiing-more-dangerous-than-snowboarding-or-vice-versa/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1303417/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/skie...yvmCWnRFPgZc6KJPISJGjOa3VOjBuXj55-hnv_ZSlwA_g

10. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Friends name aside, how do you know who that is??:):):):)

11. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

nfip, Kangaroo and sara777 like this.
  12. billykate

billykate Hard Yards

Hubby said he visited that patient the next day on his couch! ;)

(God I hope we’re talking about the same person) LOL

Sadie likes this.
  13. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Yes, we are.

billykate likes this.
  14. mauricem

mauricem Addicted

Friends daughter blew her acl a couple of days ago on first heli run in NZ;( Must be the season for it! Didnt get full story but something about swapping skis was part of the problem. She was/is a good all mountain skier.

15. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

Managed to complete the Sydney Oxfam 100km on the weekend, so I think I can stop calling myself injured and start viewing this thread differently. 2 years of one thing after the other, but now starting to feel like we're close to back to normal.

The journey has been:
    • Calf tear - detached, and looks quite deformed, but the rest of the lower leg is compensating for it now
    • ACL - Surgery seems to have been a success. Lots of clicking and graunching, but functioning ok
    • Hamstring - As per the calf, it's deformed where the muscle detached, but functioning ok and only spasming occasionally now
    • Hernia - very infrequent residual pain, but largely ok now.
    I'm claiming good health from this point, and hoping to only post in here cheering you lot on as you get over your various ailments.

16. kylep

kylep One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Forumites and their injuries - the Alumni

17. Kangaroo

Kangaroo One of Us

Hi Sadie, I was travelling along ok until last week when the infection flared up again and I was back at the same CRP level that I was at when I was in hospital - mid 20s. I had a whole bunch of flu like symptoms as well and felt that a trip to the hospital was necessary. I waited it out and it calmed down, although the medial incision site is inflamed, swollen and very red, extending out a few inches. The lateral incision site is all ok.

Otherwise, the ankle is still suffering from a limited range of movement (osteoporosis from being hospitalised for 2 months and non-weight bearing for a few months after that) and my knee is stuck at max 85 degrees due to the infection and a build up of scar tissue.

But apart from that, I'm looking forward a ski season some time next decade.

I have spent a lot of time to research this injury and the forces behind breaking bones. I was able to find one other example of someone who did a Type 6 tibial plateau fracture and managed to combine it with a fractured fibula and get an infection and it was Alex Smith, an American Football player whose injury is like for like with mine. He had 2 x 100kg guys fall on him. I had gravity on a green run at Guthega and my 94kg frame.

Here's a shot of the moment he did his.

Sadie and sara777 like this.
  18. Adricat

Adricat Addicted

jeepers, ouch.

19. Undies

OMG. The unimaginable pain. You poor bastard.

sara777 likes this.
  20. Undies

A great class to graduate from!

southpaw and cold wombat like this.
  21. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

The verdict on my wife's elbow, following an MRI, is a complete tear of both the LUCL and MCL. We aren't certain on the timing of these injuries though, as she did fully dislocate her elbow around the same time last year, whereas this one was only a partial dislocation that reduced upon straightening of the arm.

Based on this, we suspect that the major trauma to the ligaments occurred a year ago, which calls into question both the treatment she received at that time, but also whether or not surgery is warranted for her this time around.

22. Undies

Yikes. Hopefully she can heal up without too much surgery. Always nice to avoid the knife.

sara777 and Majikthise like this.
  23. Ozgirl

Went to see my new physio today.

I like him a lot! Husband and wife team.

His passion is ACL's. And he is on the fence RE surgery too. And is the same as the surgeon, and agrees my life plans are more important than surgery.

Here is a recent IG post from him on surgery vs no surgery.

sara777 and Majikthise like this.
  24. Ozgirl

On the fence meaning he could still think i should do it!

sara777 likes this.
  25. smackies

smackies A Local

I’ve just caught up on this thread. Sorry to hear about your woes, @Ozgirl.

You definitely seem like the right person to smash your rehab and get back out there. Good luck with it all!

Undies and Ozgirl like this.
  26. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Interesting. I was going to say how can you be on the fence with a ruptured ACL, just get it fixed. There is some good points in those slides though. The key thing I do see in there is that "The choice to operate should be based on activity level/type".

Adricat likes this.
  27. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, but a lot of very fit people (including on this forum) ski without ACL. As long as the surrounding muscles are strong, and there is no instability. I had it done but possibly wouldn't go through it again. And my hamstring/back/SI joint/pelvis issues all stem from the constant need to maintain top-notch fitness/not compensate for weaker quads, which is not always possible..

28. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

No no no, I did not need to see that! Owwww!!!

Any reason why the infection may have flared up again?

Hopefully the ankle and knee will get some more movement with some good physio and exercise.

I can imagine though, my ankle feels like it is stuck where it is.

Kangaroo likes this.
  29. Ozgirl

Yes which is why pre surgery is the go too!

sara777 likes this.
  30. Ozgirl

yep - which is why both are on the fence!

Neither is saying yay or nay.

31. Ozgirl

ha!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! But i am a lazy F#$ker.... lol

32. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

Maybe in comparison to your vision of your "ideal" self, but from what i've seen of you on here, no bloody way!

sara777 and LMB like this.
  33. Kangaroo

Kangaroo One of Us

G'day Sadie,

I did suspect that I had overdone the exercises at times. My infectious diseases doctor (you know you have nasty one when one of your medical team is an infectious diseases doctor) went along with that and just told me to ease up for a couple of weeks. That's what I'm doing and things have settled down a bit, although muscle atrophy is setting back in. I just have to find that balance. More blood tests coming up, then a further review with the ID doctor, then with the orthopaedic surgeon if necessary.

Sadie likes this.
  34. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

@scottski i see you are about! How has you recovery gone

Telemark Phat and Sadie like this.
  35. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Very sorry to hear of your injury Ozgirl. I managed to rupture my left ACL at Thredbo 5 years ago. The rupture left the knee very unstable which made prompt reconstructive surgery a fairly obvious route, Conversely I have come across a number of people who have happily got by without the surgery. All sorts of anatomical and personal variations must come into play.

My knee is very stable now and I was even able to ski in Japan about 5 months after I had the surgery.

Over the following years I have figured out a couple of things by trial and error which might be of interest to you or others.

I should probably have been more pro active in trying to reduce the post surgical inflamation. I mostly relied on cold packs. I should probably have taken more anti inflamatories. It was actually about a year before all the swelling disappeared.

Some of the longer term stretching exercises I did were actually making things worse. Weirdly I had periodic clicking etc until I stopped doing them. I should have sought better advice about how to do them.

When I updated my orthotics the residual symptoms in my left knee reduced considerably. Good foot and leg alignment is obviously beneficial if you have such issues in the first place.

I found exercise bikes the best way to build the muscle strength back.

Curcumin definitely reduces my residual symptoms. I am not so sure about glucosamine or chondrotin but I take that as well to try to slow down the dreaded arthritis.

When I am at the top of a nice slope covered in untracked snow I forget all about my knee.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Ozgirl likes this.
  36. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Well done and all the best! Some really good advice there.
    I am just surprised they let you ski 5 months post op. From my memory (and quick search confirms it), the new graft is at its weakest at 3-6 months post op and all twisting should be done very carefully?
    I was cleared after 7 months.

37. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Another thing I've learned too late! I did take it quite easy on the that trip and stuck to the groomed slopes. Really nice Sake seemed to help too.

Ozgirl and sara777 like this.
  38. Seafm

Seafm Too far from the snow Ski Pass: Gold

I've been wanting to discuss this for awhile now but have never really got around to it. Not so much an injury but a developing ailment.
    Last year in an act of possible madness I decided to take up bike riding for general fitness which I had not done for many years. All was good at first but then I suddenly started getting very sore in my hips and thighs. You're just not used to it I thought. I stopped riding after awhile but nothing improved. After seeing a chiropractor and physio I eventually ended up at my GP. X-rays confirmed that I have osteoarthritis in my hips. The right hip is significantly worse than the left. I know that this will eventually lead to a hip replacement. I can have good days and sometimes I end up limping like an old man. It just seems to create havoc with the muscles in my upper thigh and groin.
    How do others manage this condition? @currawong I know that you have already been down this path.
    Snowsports can place a lot of stress on the body and I don't want to give up something I really enjoy doing. I snowboard rather than ski so I would assume that this would possibly be less demanding. Would I be right and would I still be able to continue?

39. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

@hipo and others might be better role models

OA in the hips has only been part of my problems. I've had a number of other problems and a screwed up pain system. That last one is more of a bitch than OA, and not easily fixed. It's a bit like your immune system going nuts. Instead of getting desensitised, it can get hyper sensitised. If you have pain for a very long time then it is a significant risk that you can develop it.

So one bit of advice is not to put off the hip replacement surgery for too long if you have a choice.
    Another is to stay active, but targeted on looking after your condition and being in the best condition prior to surgery (and after). I have a good relationship with my physio. I do group physio weekly. This is affordable and lets her monitor my progress and tweak advice on physical activities and my exercises.

Keeping that hip moving and the leg muscles working is good, even if there is some discomfort. I found indoor cycling best. It didn't hurt nearly as much as walking. There was no risk of walking the bike. I had to keep my cadence at about 60, maybe 70 on a good day. Zwift has kept me sane - highly recommend getting a smart trainer.

As for skiing, I used pain killers, skied smoothly and conservatively and picked my days. The seasons I missed were because they were too soon after surgery. Choose a surgeon who is sympathetic to you boarding with a hip replacement. Some forbid it, some are grudgingly accepting, some are reasonably happy as long as you know and accept the risks. Dislocation is more likely than with a real hip. Worse, if you have an accident that smashes the bones around the prosthesis, then they may not be able to put Humpty together again. Could just as easily happen being run over on the road, but I certainly take less risks now when skiing.

You should also be aware that there is a risk of the prosthesis wearing out eventually - the more active you are, the higher the risk. My attitude is that I'd rather spend my life on the couch in 10-20 years rather than do it now out of that fear.

Good luck

southpaw, hipo and Charlie like this.
  40. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Agree with @currawong .
    I went through the same wih the right hip in denial till I was using a shoppong trolly as a crutch and reflected pain in the back, shins etc. Was just astounded after the op as to how good it could be walk without pain and a drunk limp. That was nearly 20 years ago and still no sign of wear or discomfort there.

Second hip was about 10 years ago when I was back into skiing. I had absolutely no hesitation when I started to feel the left hip going to have another replacement. Except the condition to the doc was he could cut me up after one season provided I could ski the next. His response was that. I could ski (skiing was not an impact on the hip joint) provided I gave up running or jogging. Since I didn't like running as an exercise, I agreed, he cut and I skied next season
    However, the bone was fairly deteriorated and needed a graft for the implant to sit into which twinges now and then but hey, small consideration.
    The first season I wore impact protection shorts but gave them away by the second season.
    The big help to both ops was pre op fitness.
    Low impact exercise like bike riding, rowing m/c, swimming, squats that build up the gluts and thighs along with some aerobic fitness.

Cant stress enough how much difference pre op effort makes to recovery and how much difference the replacements have made to quality of life.
    Have the replacements impacted my skiing. Well people say I get great seperation between upper and lower body, I smile but don't tell them I've bionic hips. :):skis:

Ozgirl, Seafm, sara777 and 2 others like this.
  41. Seafm

I'm still at the point where I can easily tolerate it but I don't look forward to going up stairs. As long as I don't push myself too much I appear to be not too bad. I do feel better now than when all this first started but it certainly has slowed me down a bit. I'm not game enough to get back on the bike yet which brought it to my attention in the first place. I do have an exercise bike but not prepared to get back on that yet, just content with walking only. My GP knows that I do snowboard and didn't say I should reconsider the activity. The only real advice he did offer was light exercise and watch my weight so as not to accelerate the deterioration. He did note that he thought I was a bit young to have osteoarthritis considering the stage it was at. How old were you when you had your replacement? I will be 59 later this year.

42. currawong

my first hip was at 55, 2nd at 58.

I think they class anyone under 60 as young and worry about prostheses wearing out.

43. Seafm

I suppose doctors just expect all your body parts to last forever. When I had my colonoscopy check a few weeks back I was chatting to the anesthesist before he sent me off to the fairies and he said to put it off as long as you can.

44. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Was in my early 50 when I saw the surgeon to discuss - thought I was s bit young but when he saw how I walked, he agreed I was on my last leg and did the op the following week

As currawong said, I would not hesitate. doing the same if I relived the choice. Much rather be wearing out the replacement hip now doing things I love with Hipess and my friends rather then being bored and in pain now and then in time to come, sitting around lonely in a nursing home with a new hip wondering wtf happened to my life:D

cold wombat, LMB, Seafm and 2 others like this.
  45. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

This in spades!!
    Same goes for knees.

The negatives of living with degenerative pain is that you modify your life, you do less, you become less active and you develop bad habits (compensate and change your gait). Your fitness and muscle balance change for the negative and your recovery is worse the longer you leave it.

Get it done early while strong and fit, recover well and seize the day, you won’t regret the decision.

SuskiQ, Seafm, sara777 and 2 others like this.
  46. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Today's injury, a bruised ego after falling off a tbar.

Sadie, cold wombat, LMB and 2 others like this.
  47. Seafm

A bit of reflection comes to mind as to how my right hip is significantly worse than my left. In 2014 I did my second trip to the snow since I was suddenly hooked and hired my gear from the Perisher hire shop only because I was staying at a lodge and didn't have my own car. Since I didn't know any better about board design they gave me one that had no metal edges ( bottom shelf model). It was okay initially but a weather change came through and front valley turned into one huge block of ice. The board kept going out from under me all the time and I consistently landed on the same part, my right hip. This is probably what started sending me downhill in the first place.
    It's going to be awhile before I'll seriously consider surgery. I need to get a cataract sorted at some stage next year plus I can't afford an extended period away from work. I will seriously look at doing exercises as suggested to make those muscles do what they are supposed to do rather than the condition try and dictate to me. I plan on heading down for my next snow trip in twelve months time so hopefully I will be in good enough shape to actually enjoy the experience. Or will I regret it?

48. currawong

Impossible to know.
    Maybe get a referral, talk to a surgeon and then see how it goes from there. If you decide it's bad enough to get it done sept/oct 2020, you will be back skiing/boarding when the snow falls in 2021. Or leave it another year or more of it's not too bad. The surgeon might also recommend other ways of delaying surgery, eg cortisone injections, anti-inflammatories. But if you don't start the conversation with the surgeon then you will have less options that minimiuse snow time
    ======
    As for time off work
    If you can't sleep because of the pain then your work will suffer too.
    You won't be allowed to drive for 6weeks after surgery and there will be restrictions on how you sit, bend, twist etc. Depending on what work you do, you may be able to do some desk stuff in that period

#2048 currawong, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    LMB likes this.
  49. SuskiQ

SuskiQ Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Joizus folks! I see you’ve still been out there damaging yourselves :confused: Speedy recovery everyone!

Well today is the 2nd Anniversary today of my double achilles injury. I’m finally heading to Hotham on Wednesday for my first ski. :D Excited much?!

hipo, almontyrat, Majikthise and 5 others like this.
  50. currawong

go girl. hope you have a ball

SuskiQ likes this.