Forumites & Their Injuries

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
So, I'm out for the season (again!)

Was being a dill and trying to be the antidote to dad being a grumpy old man and jumped in the air an clicked my heels together.

Landed poorly, dislocated right ankle, and it reduced itself. My left ankle is not pretty either! Apparently a moon boot going on that.

really low brake on my fib, and a middle calf on my tib. (Dislocated foot side...)

Currently in Canberra hopefully having surgery tomorrow but not liking my chances as there is already 9 on the list.

IMG_20200722_2048252.jpg
IMG_20200722_2048159~2.jpg

The 'good' foot.
IMG_20200723_0202201.jpg
Urghhhhhhh!
Speedy healing /restorative thoughts and wishes heading your way.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Undies

Superspreadin the lurve
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Hi Undies, feeling pretty good (bit tight through the leg and some evening pain from daytime exercises and walking etc), but my CRP levels have been creeping up again. It went from 5 to 10 to 15 in the last 2 months. Have to stay on antibiotics a bit longer and have monthly CT scans. Some fluid is lying in there and they are not sure whether it's infection or just clear fluid build up after surgery. They don't want to drain it as they fear that it will ooze again. Being monitored monthly, so I'm thinking that if it was a bit serious, they'd be either monitoring me weekly or readmitting me to hospital. There's no deep bone pain or hot feeling there, no oozing and no change of colour of the skin, so they are promising signs.

I remain positive though, but extremely envious of my youngest son who is in Perisher for the week. I'd be there in a heartbeat (watching, not sliding) if there weren't the restrictions in place that there are.

Cheers

Some positive signs in there. Really hope that fluid buggers off and you can continue the forward progress!

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Oh great...
I have a pterygium that will need doing at some stage. :eek:
Hey it is way better now than when I had one done in the late 1980s. The bruising from the clamps they used to hold my eyes open was the worst thing. I had a great black eye for ages. I was at uni and needed a couple of extensions. The lecturer took one look at me and said you can have what ever you want.

When I had my corneal graft the opthalmic surgeon commented that pterygium removal has become far less traumatic or painful. They use the same twilight anesthetic as for the corneal graft. In fact that was all so easy that I hardly remember it. So I wouldn't stress to much about it.

Reactions: LMB

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Hi Undies, feeling pretty good (bit tight through the leg and some evening pain from daytime exercises and walking etc), but my CRP levels have been creeping up again. It went from 5 to 10 to 15 in the last 2 months. Have to stay on antibiotics a bit longer and have monthly CT scans. Some fluid is lying in there and they are not sure whether it's infection or just clear fluid build up after surgery. They don't want to drain it as they fear that it will ooze again. Being monitored monthly, so I'm thinking that if it was a bit serious, they'd be either monitoring me weekly or readmitting me to hospital. There's no deep bone pain or hot feeling there, no oozing and no change of colour of the skin, so they are promising signs.

I remain positive though, but extremely envious of my youngest son who is in Perisher for the week. I'd be there in a heartbeat (watching, not sliding) if there weren't the restrictions in place that there are.

Cheers
Don’t worry, we are all not at the snow either. Did you put some kind of mozz on the season?
Glad that things appear to be a bit more stable than before.
Thanks for the updates :)

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

Was being a dill and trying to be the antidote to dad being a grumpy old man and jumped in the air an clicked my heels together.

Landed poorly, dislocated right ankle, and it reduced itself. My left ankle is not pretty either! Apparently a moon boot going on that.

really low brake on my fib, and a middle calf on my tib. (Dislocated foot side...)

Currently in Canberra hopefully having surgery tomorrow but not liking my chances as there is already 9 on the list.

IMG_20200722_2048252.jpg

The 'good' foot.
IMG_20200723_0202201.jpg
Goose!

Good luck.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland

IMG_20200722_2048252.jpg

The 'good' foot.
IMG_20200723_0202201.jpg
Do not like:(:(

Reactions: Ozgirl

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018

IMG_20200722_2048252.jpg

The 'good' foot.
IMG_20200723_0202201.jpg
That’s a rotten looking Potts fracture.
Awfully sorry @Ozgirl , what a way to end the season. If there one good thing to say about it, the mid shaft fibula fracture was out of the ankle mortise. These tend to do a little better than most fractures of this type.
Heal well and work on the rehab fearlessly! it’ll still snow next year.....

Reactions: Ozgirl and sara777

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I can understand the hunger, I spent 5 days in the bloody hospital waiting on surgery. Every morning, nil by mouth from midnight because ideas going in that day. Come early afternoon they come and tell me it won't be happening and the kitchen is closed, can we make you a sandwich. Next day, repeat. And the food was terrible, so not getting any was probably not so bad anyway. I hope you get fixed up soon Oz, good luck.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Back on ward after theatre.

Two matching moon boots now!

So much confusion about discharge. Surgeon says I could have gone home tonight. I said no it's two hours away. So they said tomorrow...

Um I'm none weight baring on two feet I need a wheelchair and home help...

Oh yeah... (I swear everyone just forgets about the other foot. It quite frustrating!)

Hopefully they will transfer me to Cooma at least tomorrow. So hard on everyone if I stay here.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Back on ward after theatre.

Two matching moon boots now!

So much confusion about discharge. Surgeon says I could have gone home tonight. I said no it's two hours away. So they said tomorrow...

Um I'm none weight baring on two feet I need a wheelchair and home help...

Oh yeah... (I swear everyone just forgets about the other foot. It quite frustrating!)

Hopefully they will transfer me to Cooma at least tomorrow. So hard on everyone if I stay here.
How long no weight bearing? And where’s the bionic X-ray?

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
New Mobility scooter with flag flying on the back ........I totally loved mine after knee replacements.
Honestly would totally do it!
We actually are quite central in Jindy. It could give me lots of freedom!!

3mths non weight baring I am sure they said.

Frustrating that we don't have a full left foot diagnosis as that will slow my recovery if we are cautious with that as well (when we don't need to be)

Reactions: LMB

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
3 months non weight bearing means almost total atrophy of your muscles. After 6 weeks I could almost wrap one hand around my thigh. The rehab is long, tedious and necessary. Good luck!!!
This is true. I was 6 weeks non then 6 weeks partial. Leg still has less muscle than the other, 8 years on. Get into physio ASAP.

On the mobility scooter...when I broke my leg you could rent (for free) wheelchairs and mobility scooters at both Woden and Canberra Centre. Useful for all the Canberra trips in your near future.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
This is true. I was 6 weeks non then 6 weeks partial. Leg still has less muscle than the other, 8 years on. Get into physio ASAP.

On the mobility scooter...when I broke my leg you could rent (for free) wheelchairs and mobility scooters at both Woden and Canberra Centre. Useful for all the Canberra trips in your near future.
I was the same as you. It was fun.

I’m pretty good now. The only thing noticeable is still the stiffness in my ankle. It can still also be tender at times.

Reactions: skichic

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
Follow their instructions, but try and keep things moving. The last thing you want is frozen up muscles.
Take your time - there's no hurry to get anywhere :) At least you can get decent coffee in Cooma too!

Reactions: Paperboy

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
My move to Cooma got cancelled - no bed for me.

Fingers crossed tomorrow works.

Looking for a coffee delivery in the morning if anyone wants to visit me :-(
Are they at least feeding you now LOL

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Follow their instructions, but try and keep things moving. The last thing you want is frozen up muscles.
Take your time - there's no hurry to get anywhere :) At least you can get decent coffee in Cooma too!
I need some votes on the best burger in Cooma! Have been craving one since I got here. Can't do uber eats as someone needs to bring it to me from the lobby.

Dad's going to bring me Chinese for lunch on Tuesday after golf. (If I'm still in! )

Reactions: Paperboy

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
If you call this food....
IMG_20200725_1731537.jpg

You watch I will be moved early tomorrow and miss out on what I ordered for lunch and dinner. I finally got a choice, but it's for the next day.
What I have never understood about hospital food is how devoid of actual healthy nutrients it is! A veggie packed chicken soup would be better than that meal.
Is that deb potato? :puke:

Reactions: Born2ski

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
If you call this food....
IMG_20200725_1731537.jpg

You watch I will be moved early tomorrow and miss out on what I ordered for lunch and dinner. I finally got a choice, but it's for the next day.
If the food was good and the beds comfortable we’d never convince anyone that discharge home was a good idea.
Look out for clots btw @Ozgirl , two legs immobilised is a recipe for trouble.

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
@Ozgirl I just caught up on this thread - holy hell! I hope that you're all right! You seem to be in remarkably high spirits all things considering. I hope you get to Cooma tomorrow and can convince the patient transport drivers to get you a coffee on the way.

Reactions: Paperboy and Ozgirl

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
If the food was good and the beds comfortable we’d never convince anyone that discharge home was a good idea.
Yes, first surgery in a public hospital and I didn't wake up with compression socks on. (Every surgery I have had in private I have woken up with socks, and or the machine thingy compressing them.

I am so uncomfortable - I keep moving. So I should be okay.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Maybe, but surely nutrient dense food rather than the cheapest carb loaded crap would lead to better health outcomes?

Reactions: Ozgirl and Roymond
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass