Admin Notice Forums will be offline from 8pm Thurs 3 June ~ 2am Fri 4 June for system upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
the assumption is there’s some sort of cicd discipline.

me, I just edit ‘master’ branch (cause it’s the only branch) and push via deploybot.

so I’m deploying to production as often as it takes on any given day

Absolutely correct. But my comment was still a bit of a throwaway. What does "done properly" actually mean? For me, it's the difference between monitoring and observability. If anyone is interested, go looking for "mipsy tipsy" on Twitter. She is the guru. Product called "Honeycomb" (but I confess I haven't used it - I'm more interested in the philosophy and approach than the commercial offering).

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Absolutely correct. But my comment was still a bit of a throwaway. What does "done properly" actually mean? For me, it's the difference between monitoring and observability. If anyone is interested, go looking for "mipsy tipsy" on Twitter. She is the guru. Product called "Honeycomb" (but I confess I haven't used it - I'm more interested in the philosophy and approach than the commercial offering).
Oh. Sounds interesting. Will check her out.

(p.s. I’m not as rogue as I like to make out - there is multiple branches for ski but not for cams.ski)

Reactions: cold wombat

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Never release on a Friday

And where I am the executive wants releases in Friday, so pvt and bugs can be sorted on weekend so come Monday it’s either rolled back or working.

I prefer releasing on a Friday night, nice and quiet, no interruptions and all the annoying people have nicked off home. That said I'm just deploying basic informational websites.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Ah increase font size and I can now read things ........getting the hang of this now

Yes, I needed to do same.

I'm finding the reply box icons a bit hard to see in the dark theme while on the small screen of a phone..eg
Screenshot_20210605-070228~2.png

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Oh its fast.
So much faster response time.
Is fast good ?
Some people could do with a little slowing down so the brain catches up to the typing ?
How long do you think it takes the brain to absorb the new spatial orientation and pattern recognition?
Is it days , weeks or so many repetitions?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Is fast good ?
Some people could do with a little slowing down so the brain catches up to the typing ?
How long do you think it takes the brain to absorb the new spatial orientation and pattern recognition?
Is it days , weeks or so many repetitions?
I don't think that improved format or speed was the driver. it's probably about making the forums maintainable. if you stay on old software for too long things can break and not be easily fixed. and you deny yourself new features which might make maintenance easier or improve user experience. richard already spoke of wanting to introduce a subscriber only mobile app that needs him to be on the newer sw

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Thanks for your reply .
so its basically forced on everyone by needing to keep up with software changes which are arbitrary anyway.
Just part of the computer arms race and need to change formats from square boxes to ones with rounded corners as Firefox has done?

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
I had the same problem at work , I had to " upgrade " just to keep up with software changes , it doesnt deliver a better service.
The private owners of the medical software company havent changed anything important since they bought it about 5 years ago.
Not sure why but this readily changes to italics when I dont want it?

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
I only found it by accident after seeing a post from Richard saying to use the xenforo theme.

was buried in the menu under whatever theme I was using.

now I’ve got active topics back but the scroll buttons have changed to up only.

Jun 1, 2017
Sydney
The URL for Active Topics was hitherto
That one gave the most-recently-updated threads in chronological order, latest first.
Now that URL goes to Newest Posts.
The URL for Active Topics is now
It seems to produce the same result.

MickM

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2001
Gordon, Vic
Love it. Easy to navigate. Well done.

Seems faster too, esp uploading pics, even on my dinosaur ASDL2+ connection.

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Looks great.
Quick q, I’m yet to spot ‘active topics’ on standard screen, yesterday’s version has the lighting bolt thing which I thought was great

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Looks great.
Quick q, I’m yet to spot ‘active topics’ on standard screen, yesterday’s version has the lighting bolt thing which I thought was great
The quickest way to Active Topics I found on the new theme was (on mobile) the little icon top left, next to the hamburger menu button, that has up and down arrows in it. That takes you to the site home page, which has an Active Topics link box.

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
I only found it by accident after seeing a post from Richard saying to use the xenforo theme.

was buried in the menu under whatever theme I was using.

now I’ve got active topics back but the scroll buttons have changed to up only.
I have 2 scroll buttons. I think

Screenshot_20210605-101324_Chrome.jpg

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
The quickest way to Active Topics I found on the new theme was (on mobile) the little icon top left, next to the hamburger menu button, that has up and down arrows in it. That takes you to the site home page, which has an Active Topics link box.
2 clicks, na.
@Richard can we please get a ‘active topics’ button that stays throughout?

Reactions: Seth
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums