Resource Frankenboots

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
With still no sign on the horizon of any light touring NTN boots, I set about converting my old Dynafit TLT5s to NTN - to accompany Lynx bindings mounted on light (Rossi) pattern bases = 1.4kg/ski
Have had a heap of great adventures in these boots including Cham-Zermatt.
My current touring/all rounder NTN boots are Scarpa FX pro at 1750g/boot, so was aiming to bring that weight down to around a kilo/boot.
Cutting a wedge out of the toe didn't really compromise the boot's integrity. For bellows I just epoxied/screwed a rubber bike tube cut to size.
The hard part was the duck butt, and i initially tried to fashion one myself out of solid plastic. This took a lot of time and was ultimately a failure.
Then I found some guy 3D printing them in the US for $50 plus postage.
They're very solid and seem to fit in under the sole of most alpine touring boots.
It was difficult getting all the rubber off the sole, and also guessing the exact position to mount the duck butt. It felt like prosthetic surgery, and in the end all i could do was try and emulate as best as possible the shape of the Scarpas using a line drawn between the front binding pin-eyes, and the boot midsole line.
Epoxy, then 4 drilled mushroom head bolts angle-grinded back flush.
Anyway, whilst i'm hardly about to ski hard on them, they slot into the lynxs satisfactorily, and should be good for longer tours.

IMG_3541.jpeg
IMG_3542.jpeg
IMG_3551.jpeg

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
@Boodwah I’m slightly curious and concerned about the gossamer bellows and the cyclic flexion-extension effects on your metatarsals and boot sole.
Good luck, great work.
Yep. Exactly what I was thinking.

I applaud your effort and I cross my finger you don't lose a toe or two. When cold thick plastic flexes more than it's supposed to do, something will give.

Take it easy out there cowboy.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Sadly there is no appetite for new developments in tele gear across the board. It is what it is. Whereas AT has just gone beserk.
There is in Europe. Tele events still get several hundred participants. The problem is the US market. Some big egos stuffed the discipline when NTN was first released. Typical small pond rubbish.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
There is in Europe. Tele events still get several hundred participants. The problem is the US market. Some big egos stuffed the discipline when NTN was first released. Typical small pond rubbish.
Yes but even then compared to the alpine and alpine touring numbers it just doesn't stack up. The eastern block countries are still strong in Tele that's for sure. I have a friend who was the national tele slalom champion of Slovakia. It's still pretty big there.

It's a shame they're not putting more development into telemark. I feel it's the most stylish form of skiing there is.

Reactions: skifree

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Yes but even then compared to the alpine and alpine touring numbers it just doesn't stack up. The eastern block countries are still strong in Tele that's for sure. I have a friend who was the national tele slalom champion of Slovakia. It's still pretty big there.

It's a shame they're not putting more development into telemark. I feel it's the most stylish form of skiing there is.
The numbers have always been small. They always will be. But Telemark has also always been a very localised discipline. One hill can have a vibrant scene, the next valley over there is no one.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass