1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Free Snowboard Tutorial

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Interruptedbyfireworks, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Perisher front valley 12 Oct 2019

Sound on.

You’re welcome

Sage Oya, Jonathan_P, Seafm and 2 others like this.
  2. Interruptedbyfireworks

Bonus: How To Do A Tail Press LOL

3. Jonkl

Jonkl Hard Yards

Not loading up on my android phone :(

4. Seafm

Seafm Too far from the snow Ski Pass: Gold

Standing position like me to strap in. Very good:)

5. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Staying the **** at home. Ski Pass: Gold

Yep. The one snowboarding lesson I had in Canada, I was taught to stand and strap.

Seafm and Interruptedbyfireworks like this.
  6. Interruptedbyfireworks

Aw that’s sad. I thought the videos were the height of comedy after some drinks yesterday LOL

nezumi and Dave6 like this.
  7. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

I would love to be able to stand and strap in, but every time I try my bad back and fat gut say "in your dreams!!!!!!!!!"

8. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Only way to do it without freezing your butt!

noice!
    I love that after the failed ground 360 you up and did it again - with success and a celebration! Way it should be! Woohoo!!

9. Seafm

Seafm Too far from the snow Ski Pass: Gold

The one thing my boys did show me.

10. Interruptedbyfireworks

It just ended up being um a backwards somersault, way cooler LOL

11. Interruptedbyfireworks

It sure is harder after a big lunch LOL I haven’t quite mastered it when wearing a backpack yet, that’s my next step I need to fine tune

12. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Think deadlift or squat. Push that butt out. (And make sure your waist strap is done up so no bag on your head)

13. LMB

LOL Said like a man who has worn his bag on his head a few times.
    (me too lol).

14. Interruptedbyfireworks

Yep I have already worn the bag on my head a few times lol.

I think my biggest problem is I usually don't bend my knees at all when doing up my bindings. Obviously I need to with a backpack and that is le tiring

15. LMB

Make that your focus this season - more vertical. Bend at the ankles/dorsiflexion, and the knees, and the hip joint. This is a huge issue for me, it’ll be my focus this year. More vertical range will naturally make bending to do up your bindings while wearing a backpack a whole heap easier.

16. Interruptedbyfireworks

Yeah whenever I see videos of me I realise that I don’t bend my knees anywhere near as much as I think I do. So that and not leaning back - my split has a setback stance and is very unforgiving on bad/hesitant technique. Farewell counter-rotation, my old friend

Marty_McSly and LMB like this.
  17. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This may or may not have been an influencing factor in my acquisition of Step On boots and bindings...

18. Interruptedbyfireworks

I'd like to see step on splitboard bindings. I wouldn't buy them of course because I just spent close to a grand on new bindings and boots, but I reckon they would be good!

19. LMB

How are you finding them.
    Our experiences with the step ons would not have me buying them for a splitboard. I would however hire a small magical person to appear and undo or do up said bindings saving me the effort of bending in gear!

So my youngest son desperately wanted the step on, knowing a US Burton rep I organised for him to find the absolute last pair of boots and binding (at different warehouses) in his size and bring them to Niseko when he came to stay in our apartment. He gave them to child #2 who did his Level2s with him and went over to catch up. He brought them home to Perth - magically Mum pulls off the impossible and sources a unicorn set of step ons for youngests 20th birthday. Go Mum!! Thanks Len!

He used them in Feb. They were half a size too small and hurt his feet. He enjoyed them but would upsize and isn’t sure if he’d bother to get step ons again. He gave them to his Dad who has slightly smaller feet.

His Dad, PB, LOVES them. As a strong cruiser on big boards who already only straps in standing up he thought they were the ducks nuts.

However loads of people -especially wealthy Chinese visitors- had them for their beginner and low intermediate lessons this season. Theory was they’d be easier to use as no bending over. Reality was that they hadn’t yet developed any decent balance on a board so sitting to do bindings worked better for them - and you can’t sit to sort step ons - you have to stand to get the forces and angle needed to clip in or out (apparently, I haven’t demo-ed them myself, but many discussions have been had with instructors and students using them).
    In short they’re great, but not for all situations and people.

20. nezumi

I've been really happy with them! Especially riding them at Baw Baw / Perisher where I am able to step into the rear binding as I exit the surface lifts and go straight into a run.

I had a powder day with them at Perisher and didn't have any of the anticipated issues. I still use the little board leash they provide because I am paranoid about someone flicking up the release lever on my front foot while on a chairlift, but overall I have found them great.

The responsiveness of them is excellent - having the point of action for a toeside turn be the heel of the boot, rather than the forefoot, gives a far greater ability to get the board on edge quickly.

I haven't managed to jump into both bindings and ride off yet, but that's mostly because I have no misgivings about my ability - I know I'm not Terje, and would fail miserably at that if I tried.

LMB and Interruptedbyfireworks like this.
  21. Interruptedbyfireworks

Yeah I trialled them briefly in 2018, and whilst they were cool they didn’t impress me enough that I’d want to commit to them. All in all it seemed to take me the same amount of time and effort to strap and unstrap (or step and unstep!). Hubby loved them though and reckons that when he gets his own board one day (he skis more than boards) he’d go the step ons for sure. So it’s interesting how different people find it. I found the little lever to disengage to be more fiddley than undoing bindings.

Only reason why I thought step ons might be good for a split is that it somewhat concerns me about the lack of release of the bindings in split ski mode. It would be good to have some kind of way to eject like in skis, particularly in avalanche-prone areas I imagine.

22. nezumi

I'm a regular road cyclist, so the flick and twist to release came very naturally to me. Since I was buying my first board last year, it felt like a good chance to go in on Step Ons once and be done.

As far as an eject mechanism for splitboards in split mode, I think this would be better managed through the touring interfact itself. Engineer it so that the pivot point can release in certain situations, with the binding remaining attached to the boot.