1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

free workforce, and must pay own bus fare

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by sfo, Nov 22, 2013.

1. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

.... but you get a Reference from your Rapacious Management Board!!!!

Saw this on Bullers FB page and I thought 'exploitation'.

"Are you interested in gaining work experience in the sports & events industry? We have a jam packed calendar of mountain biking, food and wine festivals, twilight movie nights and road cycling events this summer!

If you're an Events or Sports Management student and looking for volunteer work, Mt Buller can offer you:
    • A reference from Mt Buller Resort Management
    • Overnight accommodation
    • Hands-on experience delivering events
    • Practical experience developing Event Management skills

For more info and to apply contact Events Manager Katie Bowker on events@mtbuller.com.au
    Please include: your full name / your course / year level / previous experience / ability to provide own transport / one phone referee

ladycamper likes this.
  2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

No different to other volunteer work. CFA gets paid nothing - not even petrol money.

3. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

So uum you also pay your own bus fare, your own food, and your own booze. There's not even a free ride on the mtn bike chairlift???

4. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

THE CFA are dumb. When Canberra was burning they saved the tax office ....who taxed them for the small stipend the volunteers received. No good deed goes unpunished Teckel.

But as petrol is tax deductible whereas water ain't, next time Canberra burns I'm sending up petrol tankers :)

5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Bus fare is an issue, the rest is not that bad. i've worked for free to get experience in a new field. There is a danger of exploitation, but i think ths one looks like potential win/win fr buller and students who are interested - or it would f transport was covered.

Events in our area use a lot of volunteers - usually you get a tshirt and that's it. but travel is only fairly short distances.

ladycamper likes this.
  6. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Few employers pay for peoples Bus or Car bills to get to work.

7. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

no, but they pay wages.

8. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Your right Teckel but there are financial benefits for businesses using these people as free labour for "experience" as opposed to CFA volunteers providing a community service. (A much appreciated community service I should add)

9. teckel

There are massive financial benefits for the government in using volunteers. Imagine the bill if they had to employ people!

10. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

is there some form of legal 'employer liability' created if they cover bus fare?

11. teckel

NSW has always tried to pay CFA the small stipend when CFA go up to NSW. But the Volunteers Union refuses the money :tany: Pack of silly old men.

12. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

Not as far as I know Gareth.

Btw, a couple of years ago they turned away students on a govt scheme that would mean the kids earned $5 an hour as an adjunct for on the job training. Is someone screwing kids out of $5 an hour?

The kids were to be housed at market rent paid upfront by a department, but, apparently, the lodging people came up with bizarre excuses.

No free biking, no free lift, no free food, no free transport sounds doesn't seem very reasonable for hard yakka putting up tents and washing dishes.

13. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

Volunteers give up paid work too - my accountant is one and he ended up wearing a tax office penalty for neglecting clients' deadlines whilst saving the ATO bureaucrats homes. Uh!

ladycamper likes this.
  14. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

What happens if the student comes home pregnant?
    good point, or Dbski wants to be on the RMB :)

Will Buller's rmb give them a complimentary resort entry pass and a weekend lift ticket? Bet not. These kds are not even real interns, they're just a self-funding bunch of kids.

15. gareth_oau

do buses cause this? LOL

16. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

Yeah, from the toilet seat on the bus. How did you ever pass Sex Ed :blb: :out:

17. gareth_oau

ahhhhh, I have 4 kids and I'm still a virgin

18. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

They are making on offer for the work done, and made it clear what they are offering.
    It is not as if they are asking for volunteers for no reward of any kind like volunteering to climb up a tree to rescue a cat even though you don't much care for cats.

19. Dos

Dos One of Us

This is better than some places that my friends have volunteered. At least they get to stay for free. One of my friends just volunteered early this month at Monkey Mia, Shark Bay, Western Australia (Dolphin feeding activities.) She paid $500 for bus tickets just to get there (plus a hitch-hike from turn-off) and she had to pay for accommodation, food and all other costs.

20. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

One born every minute.

ladycamper likes this.
  21. sfo

sfo Hard Yards

I've known staff who resigned and went to the labor board for back-pay while also going to the health dept and tax office with tales of exploitation and naughty things. Some employers are born every minute too :)

ladycamper likes this.
  22. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo called for follies for the National MTB round there this weekend. They offer a full package mtb day for every day worked, its about $250 value I think. But no offer of accom or food.

Vollies are essential for almost every mtb event held.

23. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Volunteers make these things happen. Overnight accommodation of at least a basic standard (bed in club lodge) should be offered. If the mountain's expected to be full, staff accommodations can be used as an alternative. Accommodation should have facilities for self catering if free meals are not provided. Volunteers who camp for more than one night should be able to access showers. Gifts of free or reduced cost access to summer or winter mountain facilities or services are warmly received I'm sure by volunteers.