Freezing stuff or keeping stuff frozen on a plane...

BrumbyJack

First Runs
May 10, 2000
Jindabyne :-)
Are there any aircrew in here?

If we were to take 2 hydralyte icy poles on a plane is there:

A: Anywhere to keep them frozen if we take them frozen?

B: Anywhere to freeze them if we take them UNfrozen?

I think the food comes on frozen?? (main meals part).

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Not liquid if it's kept frozen
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

californiadream

First Runs
Feb 24, 2008
ask over on flyer talk maybe?

they'll melt as you queue thru immigaration so maybe speak to the AIRLINE regarding getting them on board directly somehow.

BrumbyJack

First Runs
May 10, 2000
We have the powder, it tastes crap (according to SP)

The popsicles are 65ml so they are OK to take on board.

I was just trying to make it easier to actually get the intended patient to take it!!!

I guess she can just have them unfrozen, but she actually LIKES them frozen, anything else is painful to be around!!!
laugh.gif

BrumbyJack

First Runs
May 10, 2000
Why??? How is Phenergan going keep hydration under control!!!
laugh.gif

This is trying to minimise an athletes's dehydration from a long haul flight.

She actually will take something to try and sleep on the plane to see if she can lessen the jetjag too (and is asleep now, trying to get into "mountain time zone") will get up in a few hours.

BrumbyJack

First Runs
May 10, 2000
BTW, the whole freezing thing isn't really a big deal, I just wanted to see if it could be done.

I can't see any reason why not?

So far nobody has actually answered my question, so I guess no flight crew around.

BrumbyJack

First Runs
May 10, 2000
californiadream said:
ask over on flyer talk maybe?

they'll melt as you queue thru immigaration so maybe speak to the AIRLINE regarding getting them on board directly somehow.

But that is a good suggestion and if I don't hear anything about the on board stuff, I will try doing that when she checks in.

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
BrumbyJack said:
laugh.gif

She actually will take something to try and sleep on the plane to see if she can lessen the jetjag too (and is asleep now, trying to get into "mountain time zone") will get up in a few hours.

OMG ...sorry brumby , but aren't you being just a tad over protective ..."trying to minimise an athletes dehydration "

Have you ever heard of water ???

Also the phenergan tip was because you referred to your daughter as "the intended patient" so I thought she had to travel while she was ill .

SimonInAustralia

First Runs
Jul 1, 2007
Canberra, ACT, Australia
FAT BOY said:
BrumbyJack said:
laugh.gif

OMG ...sorry brumby , but aren't you being just a tad over protective ..."trying to minimise an athletes dehydration "

Yeah, really, that's what I thought when I read it...HTFU!

...and...

guess she can just have them unfrozen, but she actually LIKES them frozen, anything else is painful to be around!!!
rolleyes.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
we are talking national team athlete here guys. I suspect the coaches know a bit more about appropriate hydration

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
SimonInAustralia said:
FAT BOY said:
BrumbyJack said:
laugh.gif

Yeah, really, that's what I thought when I read it...HTFU!

...and...

guess she can just have them unfrozen, but she actually LIKES them frozen, anything else is painful to be around!!!
rolleyes.gif

She does call her Snow Princess....the name says it all I guess ???

FWIW I have 2 kids and am a single parent.

telemark fred

One of Us
May 20, 2002
Newcastle East
Water, or whatever her preferred (non alcoholic) beverage is, will be fine for maintaining her hydration

She wont lose electrolytes through flying, and even if she did, eating will suffice for replacing them.

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
currawong said:
we are talking national team athlete here guys. I suspect the coaches know a bit more about appropriate hydration

We are talking about a 14 hour flight, and I will say it again what's wrong with water, AND if they are so precious all they need to do is arrive a few days earlier than normal to counteract any dehydration/jet lag issues.

These weren't personal attacks , just observations....

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
An interesting fact: Did you know that pressurized planes are kept at around 4% humidity !

No wonder I get headaches on long plane flights, I live in Brisbane so I'm use to 70% + humidity !

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore
Born2ski said:
An interesting fact: Did you know that pressurized planes are kept at around 4% humidity !

No wonder I get headaches on long plane flights, I live in Brisbane so I'm use to 70% + humidity !

Supposedly the newer planes that use more synthetics like carbon fibre over aluminium (A380 etc) apparently can have a higher humidity in the cabin as there is less risk of corrosion. No idea if the airlines are actually doing that though.

BrumbyJack

First Runs
May 10, 2000
FAT BOY said:
currawong said:

We are talking about a 14 hour flight, and I will say it again what's wrong with water, AND if they are so precious all they need to do is arrive a few days earlier than normal to counteract any dehydration/jet lag issues.

These weren't personal attacks , just observations....

I'm glad you pointed out they weren't attacks, because they sure read that way!!! I'm a single parent too FWIW and I also have 2 children!!!

17 hours on a plane, low humidity, being in hot temperatures all week and travelling 6 hours just to get to the airport. Yeah, a really good way to become dehydrated.

FFS, I just asked a simple question to make life easier... She is travelling alone for the first time, so any help she can get is good.

Oh yeah, I'm so overprotective. That's why I'm letting a 15 years and 20 days year old girl fly all the way to Calgary on her own
rolleyes.gif
Even Air Canada and Canadian Immigration were concerned about that given she has to change planes in Vancouver.

Yes, she was Snow Princess when she registered as a member back in 2000!!! More like Ice Queen now, but that's the name she had and what people know her as... I did drop the Little prefix from my son's name because it's a bit ludicrous when I am looking UP his nose.

She couldn't leave any earlier, she went straight from end of year final exams and has to start training immediately so was just asked to make sure she looked after her hydration levels. And YES, she was told to drink hydralyte on the flight... as well as lots of water as per normal.

Oh, so there are censors now to decide what you can and cannot ask on the travel forums??? Get a life.

Sorry for wanting to do the best I can to help my child. It's a bit like a 3 course meal V's a peanut butter sandwich... fancy meal is useless if it ends up in the bin. i spent a whole $2.50 to buy something that I know she will quite happily drink/eat V's something that I know she won't touch unless it's just about poured down her throat!!!

rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, I am really pissed off... I've just spent over 14 hours driving to get her to and me from the airport and it's [auto-censor] HOT!!!!

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
BJ, We have our 14 year old traveling to Vancouver and changing planes unaccompanied. Air Canada has not made a comment about her age when we raised it. Is there something I should know about Canadian Immigration that we have not been told.

As to the hydrolyte. It is recommended for sled racing dogs so it should work fine for Snow Princess. http://www.hydrolyte.us/

Good luck for her in Canada. Where is she going ?

BrumbyJack

First Runs
May 10, 2000
The travel Agent tried to book her as an unnacompanied minor and AC wouldn't permit it as she had to change planes, they wanted someone to pick her up in Vancouver, so I just said forget it, she's a big girl she can just do it all herself and got booked as a normal passenger.

She is staying for 5 months and is travelling alone, not with a team etc. and Immigration just needed (as they always do) certification that she had permission from both her parents to be travelling alone,

A friend found out the hard way about the permission from both parents when travelling with just one parent and child, so I looked into it and it clearly states on their immigration site that children travelling alone or with one parent need certified permission to do so. It's all pretty simple, you just get a JP to sign it... I downloaded a sample letter a few years ago and just re use that.

They also wanted to know where she would be staying and why she was going for so long, and that she wouldn't be working or studying at a Canadian School.

I can't believe so many people were so stupid just because I asked a simple question about 2 damned hydrolyte pops
rolleyes.gif

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
Thanks. You probably saved us a few problems with Travel. She is going unacompanied however there is someone we know who will be on the same flight there and back, just in case the wheels fall off the cart. She will be fine though.

Where is SP going. L is going to Apex.

If you need to keep the Hydrolite frozen, ask them to open a window and hang it outside for a while.
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass