1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Furano, Asahi Dake, Tokachi, Kamui & Tomamu 2020

Discussion in 'Japan' started by telenomore, Sep 21, 2019.

1. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Let the games begin. Beautiful morning today in central Hokkaido with Asahi Dake almost looking like there may be some skiing too be had. Tokachi pretty much missed out so a very localized snowfall with the main Taisetsu range getting the goods.

Taisetsu Range from Kami Furano, Asahi Dake high peak to the right. Asahi Dake
    Biei Dake in the Tokachi range above Kami Furano

Any, Jonkl, Telemark Phat and 9 others like this.
  2. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Wahoo looking good already. Getting excited. We’ll be there 5th Feb-15 Feb a few days in tomamu and the rest in Furano with some trips.

telenomore likes this.
  3. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Asahi-dake last week. Edit : Ah, sorry, It was filmed on September 21st, so not last week, but nearly 2 weeks ago:).

#3 Ramenman, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  4. KobePoloDog4Life

KobePoloDog4Life First Runs

Anybody know when Kurodake announces its operating calendar for the season? They shut one of the ropeways down at some point for maintenance, yeah?

5. telenomore

Asahi Dake today, the last day of our Hokkaido cycling season. Snow pretty much all gone now and amazing dry and warm weather, with great autumn colors.

Fonty, Telemark Phat, skifree and 5 others like this.
  6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Pretty colours!

7. telenomore

Update on Kuro Dake Ropeway. Closed for maintenance Jan 6-31 2020.

8. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

It's because Kuro-dake is more popular as spring - autumn time destination than as wintertime destination?.

skifree likes this.
  9. telenomore

@Ramenman that is my understanding for both Kuro Dake and Asahi Dake ropeways. The winter business for both is a fraction of their summer/autumn business. Asahi Dake, for example, opens about 6:00 am in summer, and often has lift lines out into the car park, and runs every 10 minutes, compared to winter, where rarely are there lift lines and it runs every 20 minutes. 5-10 years ago in winter Asahi Dake had only ever a handful skiers on any given day, and even though that has changed with lift lines on some days, it is still far less than the summer lift lines and wait times. The other issue for Kuro Dake, believe it or not, is that it is considered too cold mid winter and I think the Kuro Dake ropeway is usually on hold till later in Feb so opening Jan 31 I think is a nod to foreign skiers wanting to ski there.

Ramenman and skifree like this.
  10. Jonkl

Jonkl Early Days

Will be going to Kamui and Tomamu with the family around the New Year, looking forward to see some pics here re their snow condition :)

11. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Have locked in 8th-14th Feb in Furano. Looking at 5th-8th Feb was going to Tomamu but can't get accommodation I want/value/don't like onsen being far away/very busy etc etc. Looking at doing Sahoro now for 3 days in the Resort Hotel. How is skiing Sahoro vs Tomamu (Side country/off piste mainly with some piste). Also brains trust any ideas of how to get from Sahoro to Furano on a late Saturday. Train looks like 2hrs (Plus getting to train stations) is this best option? Is there a bus? We arrive really late into CTS on 5th and don't want to drive after long flight at night so will jump train to Sahoro. My dad will already be at Sahoro so don't want to stay over at CTS and drive next day so no car this trip.

12. telecommuter

telecommuter One of Us

That's great re Kurodake Ropeway opening on 1 Feb. We did a late Feb day trip up there this year, we had a clear sunny day (although a bit windy) but overall spectacular! That big bowl from the summit down was incredible! Only two of us braved the run down from the gondola station to the village, some gnarly bits but a great run. Looking forward to heading back up there this winter...

13. Fonty

Fonty Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

There is availability at Alpha, the self contained apartments at Tomamu if you interested.

14. lehb

lehb Early Days

I can't seem to find anything to book this building. Some mentioned that there are AirBnB but I didn't find any. Are you able to shed some light ?

15. Jonkl

Jonkl Early Days

Try Tomamux, it was mentioned to me by @Born2ski , we booked our over the new year period on this site. Price very reasonable. Go to their Facebook page to look for a 10% off code.

Born2ski and lehb like this.
  16. lehb

lehb Early Days

Thank you !

17. Fonty

Alpha can’t list on Air BnB at the moment as they don’t currently meet Minpaku laws. The body corporate are working with Hoshino Resorts to get their certification so the individual owners can use Air BnB again. As mentioned above, there is Tomamux and there is another site as well I have found. We rented from a guy who has 6 apartments in there last year. If you don’t have any luck with Tomamux, I can pass on his contact details if you like?

Jonkl and lehb like this.
  18. lehb

lehb Early Days

Yes, that'd be awesome! I am planning a hokkaido trip for the group in December, and considering going to Tomamu if we can!

19. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

20. geeoff

geeoff Hard Yards

Does anyone know anything about Hotel la vista in Furano town?
    I have booked accomodation for months but just learnt they might have a no kids policy and we have 4 grandkids with us! I will need to email to ask but looking at emergency options!
    The la vista looks to be only hotel which appears to have much room on our dates, so seems it might be new?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!

21. telenomore

I didn't know it was already open. Your right, just been built this summer, down near the railway station. Cant tell you anything else but I have never heard of a hotel with a no kids policy?

22. geeoff

geeoff Hard Yards

Thanks Telenomore.
    I have written to the pension to clarify and will wait to see.
    The Onsen in the new hotel looks nice and we have a car so should be ok option.
    If there is plenty of snow by late December we will probably wander into your shop to see about some backcountry stuff.

telenomore likes this.
  23. lehb

lehb Early Days

I wonder if I can rollerblade on this beautiful road ?

24. lehb

lehb Early Days

By the way, does anyone know if there are shops that sell second hand or new snowboard/ski car roof racks ?

25. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Why not buy some "soft racks" here in Australia and take them with you in your luggage..........fits any car.

lehb likes this.
  26. Fonty

If you are hiring a car, get them from the hire company

27. lehb

lehb Early Days

I asked them and they said they didn’t have it

28. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve used soft racks numerous times in Japan although usually after going ‘round the corner’ from the rental office with a cramped full small car when travelling with 3 or 4 people. If 2 just chuck them inside. Not sure how legal they are in Japan. Apparently in Aus now they need to have identification that they are ‘certified’.

lehb likes this.
  29. Fonty

Homac is always an option, we call it Bunnings on steroids....LOL

lehb, telenomore and Jonkl like this.
  30. telenomore

A little teaser from this morning. The back of Ryounkaku in the Tokachi Mts. and a bit of late autumn splendor. No 1 son felt 5 cm over grass was good enough having waited since April! Top of Furano resort had a dusting but looking very promising for some early season turns later this week with snow falls forecast to continue from about Tuesday.

31. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Oh...... might have to go to Furano :)

telenomore likes this.
  32. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Thos autumn colours are wow!

telenomore likes this.
  33. telenomore

Nearly there. Last few days has seen consistent cold temps and snow falls. Tomamu looking good with 30 cm on the ground. Helps that the base is about 600m compared to about 200m at Furano. Asahi Dake also around 30+ cm but it needs a good 2 meter base before the gondola can open. Warm spell coming Monday but next weekend still holding for very good November snow falls through central Hokkaido.

34. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

The colour of the water in the second pic is gorgeous

35. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

skifree likes this.
  36. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

How do you accidentally get Aluminium hydroxide into the water?

37. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

The spring there naturally contains Aluminium hydroxid. Each hot spring consists of different elements. The most common one is sulfur, but there are many different kinds of (hot) springs in Japan. Nyuto Onsen (the onsen village near Tazawako ski resort) is white and very milky, because it naturally contains, well, I forgot what the element is called in English:p.
    [​IMG]

We own a tiny lodge in Urabandai Highland(near Nekoma - Grandeco), and there is 五色沼 in the highland. 五 = five, 色=color. 沼 = pond. So, it means five color pond. It's because the natural springs consist of different elements.

About 五色沼 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goshiki-numa

Pictures of 五色沼(Five Color Pond) in Urabandai Highland.(there are Nekoma, Grandeco, etc there)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=五色沼&rlz=1C1CHBD_jaJP712JP712&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwid2eP_09zlAhVLw4sBHUsVA08Q_AUIEygC&biw=1280&bih=891

38. telenomore

That's "Blue Pond" between Biei and Shirogane, at the foot of Tokachi Mts. Extraordinarily popular, particularly amongst Chinese tourists. Actually an accidental man made attraction. Not so many years ago it was a quarry/river works, and filled up with water once it was no longer used and, Lo and behold, it fills up with bluish water from nearby springs.

Edit: Just read the wikipedias post. Well covered there.

skifree and Ramenman like this.