1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Furano or Tomamu (or elsewhere)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Melskius, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

Hi all,
    Time to plan the 4th trip to Japan. Trip 1 we spent a few days at Shiga Kogan, trip 2 no skiing, trip 3 we had a few days at Naeba. Each trip has been in Easter school holiday, so very late season. We also ski Thredbo most years in August.

Hubby & I are intermediate skiiers, we have an 8yr old who can ski with us, bit still snow plow turns, and a 5yr old beginner (who will do a week at thredbo ski school). We like blue groomers as a family.

Next year hubby wants to go to hokkaido and experience some japanese pow, not late season (yet neither of us has skiied powder). I'm thinking late feb/early march for weather - as I'm a bit concerned about extreme cold with the kids skiing.

I'm thinking Furano or Tomamu might suit us. We like to have some meal options and not have to pay the earth for them. Also for a longer trip we would probably purchase skis rather than rent (we have kids skis). We also prefer western beds for longer stays. So sorry for the thesis, just providing context. We'd really appreciate any advice from those in the know. Thanks.

2. Arne

Arne One of Us

Both will work fine. But Furano is bigger and has a town with more accom. and food options.
    You will have to get lucky to get powder at Easter.

3. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Furano should suit you. Plenty of smooth groomed intermediate runs. Late February or early March will also give you temperatures more around 0 C rather than the -10 C of January. Heaps of good food options in the very authentic town of Furano which is just down the road a bit from the ski area base - which has lots of accomodation with western beds.

In contrast Tomamu is an isolated resort area well away from the nearest towns and it has more limited and somewhat dearer food options. It has very eccentric resort architecture which is interesting in a quirky way but a bit lacking in charm. Good skiing though.

4. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Niseko is an option. There is lots of low-intermediate priced accommodation. Plus lots of family-friendly eating options. Not sure about buying skis?? Check the numerous Australian-owned rental outlets.

skifree and Melskius like this.
  5. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Furano should suit you best. Proper town with plenty of options at regular town prices. Tomamu is more a self contained resort with no real town. You could always do a day trip to Tomamu from Furano if you wanted.

Melskius likes this.
  6. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Yes Furano is a viable option. As Heinz correctly states it has lots of family-friendly eating options.

7. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I see Club Med has opened up at Tomamu. Interesting that they’ve got two resorts so close together.

8. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

Thanks for the info.
    Yeah Easter is late is year, that's why we are planning for late feb or early march.

9. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Furano.

From memory tomamu faces south so the pow doesn’t last long.

Lots if places to stay near the slopes and the town nearby to eat. You will need a car to make it easy

10. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'd also say Furano with more options and @Heinz idea of day trip to Tomamu good. Tomamu does have south facing areas as @Budgiesmuggler says but also many east facing and the side country to the north is knock out skiing. Tomamu is generally colder than Furano and of course colder than Niseko.
    Just on club med. The Chinese company that has the franchise purchased the Tomamu resort then built Club Med infrastructure so the club med accommodation sits side by side with the towers but only one resort shared by club med customers and general ski customers.

11. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

We did Tomamu earlier this year. Next year it's Furano for a week and then back to Tomamu.

Tomamu is becoming more popular, and as a result accommodation and dining options have increased in price.

12. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We stayed at the Tomamu club med in March this year. Very kid friendly place, western beds, great food and open bar. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone without kids (for us it was a rude shock to have so many kids around us in the bar!). I haven’t skiied anywhere else in Japan so cant compare, but it was a lovely resort. 8 days and we didn’t get bored of the terrain, zero lines and some pow days. Early March I just wore the same stuff I wear in Aus since it wasn’t actually that cold.

It is a bit annoying getting back to the club med as opposed to the towers if you are a beginner, but from the sounds of it you would be ok.

Melskius likes this.
  13. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It is worth pointing out that while Tomamu is a bubble resort and there is extra expense involved in that, they do have a bunch of things in the resort that would play well with the kiddies. The wave pool is a pretty novel experience. The ice village too is good fun (although almost certainly not there in late March). Even with a group of 3 blokes, it was a novel experience for a few days.