1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Furano region with 4 days to play

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ACHAD, Jun 5, 2019.

1. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

If you can drop off in Otaru rather than Chitose then I’d do that. It’s extra distance to drive to Chitose and then bus back, you could’ve enjoyed your train trip to Kutchan, found your way to Niseko and be having a quiet beer or three by then!

To clarify:
    Are you going to Niseko township or are you headed to the Niseko skiresort (ie: Hirafu, Niseko Village or Annupuri)?

2. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Great thanks!....that was my thoughts as well. Was trying to avoid backtracking. I just haven't used the train between Otaru to Niseko before and I read its an older traditional style but I really don't mind as long as we can get our 2 snowboards on and 2 luggage bags on comfortably happy days. We are head to niseko train station which I assume is the township? Black Diamond said they would pick us up from the Niseko station. Do we just get tickets when we rock up to train station or best to pre purchase? Its the only train we will be using on our entire trip.

3. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Ahhh. I see.
    Yeah, all good.
    Buy tickets at the station when you get there.
    At times the train can be busy, but there is a great nook ostensibly for wheelchairs but really handy to line up your luggage in - I stood in front of the gear to stop it sliding around.

If you get chatting to people they might try to tell you to get off at Kutchan. That’s just because heaps of people make the mistake of going to Hirafu or Niseko station when they’re going to Grand Hirafu Skijo. But if you’re being picked up by BD then you are going to the right place.

The red circle is the Niseko station (closest to BDL), the yellow circle is the stop before it - Hirafu- and Kutchan is the stop before that.

The green circle is Hirafu Village and the blue area is the combined ski resorts of Annupuri, Niseko Village (Higashiyama), Grand Hirafu and Hanazono.

Mike Pow and Froff Life like this.
  4. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Great thanks for the advice!

5. tugboat

tugboat Hard Yards

@ACHAD - I’m doing a very similar trip, planned for the end of January/early February...5 days/4 nights in Furano, then heading to Niseko to meet Black Diamond for cat skiing in Shimamaki, then wrapping up our Hokkaido tour in Rusutsu. Our flight doesn't land until 8:30pm, so we're going to stay in Chitose, then drive up to Furano in the morning. Hoping to leave early enough with plenty of time to ski that day. We're currently planning on two days at Furano, then one day at each at a nearby resort. Tomamu and Asahidake are on the top of my list, but leaving that up to last minute decision making. Depending on road conditions, and how we feel after a day or two at Furano, we may just spend more time there.

The last day will probably end up being strictly a travel day to Niseko, either try skiing somewhere along the way...maybe a small ski area that's good for a 1/2 day, visit Otaru, or some other sightseeing along the way

I'd be really interested in hearing about your trip after you go. Especially about the different areas, how you end up breaking up your time in Furano, and if there's anything you'd change.

6. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

@tugboat sounds very similar. I've visited Kokusai, Teine, Kiroro, Tomamu, Asahidake & Daisetsuzan National Park BC. I have stayed at Furano but have not skied here before. Will let you know how I go. Plan on visiting Kamui for a day for something new when based in Furano. Hopefully have time for Tomamu also if I can find a shop that hires out split boards. Will let you know how I go.

Anyone know of a shop in Furano that hires split boards?

7. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Check out Furano Alpine Backcountry Rental Shop, they are legit in terms of fully stocked backcountry gear. May need to book the splitty in advanced though.

Kamui is about an hours drive depending on weather, and a great little ski resort for a day trip! Try to visit on a week day though to avoid the Asahikawa city crowds

8. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

9. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thanks @Froff Life We have about 12 splits in stock but they do get booked up so once you are firm on dates etc PM me and we can go from there.

Froff Life likes this.
  10. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Thanks @telenomore ....will do

11. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Given the events of yesterday in White Island NZ i had made the comment to some friends it does not interest me to ever visit active volcano's only to realise that I have snowboarded at Asahi-dake and will be most likely visiting again this Jan without ever thinking about any potential hazard. o_O Thought I would google to understand the volcano at Mount Asahi not really finding any real information concerning any potential eruption if ever again. Learnt that Mount Asahi is an active stratovocano and that it last errupted in 1739. What are people's knowledge on this volcano? Could it ever blow unexpectedly again?

12. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

On Researchgate there is an article from 2018. Low risk.
    Only saw the abstract.

Eruptive history of Asahidake Volcano, central Hokkaido: New study of the stratigraphy and eruption ages of the Asahidake late stage products.
    • April 2018
    • Journal of the Geological Society of Japan 124(4):297-310
    • DOI:
    • 10.5575/geosoc.2018.0001

The eruptive history and eruption style of Asahidake volcano, the youngest volcanic edifice of the Taisetsu Volcano Group, central Hokkaido, Japan, are investigated to evaluate its long-term volcanic hazards. The Asahidake edifice consists of a pyroclastic cone whose growth is associated with lava effusions since the late Pleistocene. The eruption rate was relatively high, with an estimated 1.0 km³ dense rock equivalent (DRE)/ky from 15 ka to 9 ka that rapidly decreased to 0.03 km³ DRE/ky from 9 ka to present. After the latest magmatic eruption ca. 5 ka, there was a 2 ky dormant period that was followed by a large-scale phreatic eruption ca. 2.8 ka, which possessed the following eruption sequence. The sequence began with edifice collapse that produced a debris avalanche and formed the Jigokudani horseshoe-shaped crater, followed by phreatic explosions. Lahar flows then effused from many small craters and fissures that had formed in and at the opening part of the Jigokudani crater. This eruptive activity decreased after the eruption sequence. We recognize that the most recent small-scale phreatic eruption occurred ca. 0.7 ka. Although the current fumarole activity is remarkable, it appears that the eruptive activity has declined considerably since the 2.8 ka eruption. Considering the temporal change in eruptive activity, it is possible that the activity of Asahidake volcano has monotonically decreased over the past 10,000 years. However, in the context of volcanic hazard mitigation, it should be noted that small-scale phreatic explosions and/or effusions of lahar similar to the 0.7 ka eruption might potentially occur and endanger tourism activities.

skifree and ACHAD like this.
  13. Hyst

14. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Thanks @Hyst Interesting Info. Although it seems very low risk never put any thought into any potential hazard skiing in this region. Given whats happened in NZ sort of feel like a sheep when not asking the question or doing any investigation yourself. I'm sure all those people involved in NZ never really thought to far into any potential hazard. Probably would not have changed anything if they had. @Ramenman has continued this conversation over in the other thread "Latest Ski & Tourism News"

15. Hyst

Risk is larger traveling to Japan and driving in Japan.

16. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Japan is so full of natural disasters that, locally, the Asahi Dake volcanic area doesn't raise much concern on the comparative danger level, but Tokachi Dake does. I know that is backcountry and so not such an issue for @ACHAD but I saw it erupt from my front door in Kitanomine back in 1988. Below is a link to more details. Not so much lava danger but more "Laha" or mud flow. The 1926/27 period particularly alarming with around 150 deaths, mostly in nearby Kami Furano. https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/tokachi.html

17. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Thanks for the info @telenomore ..... Had no idea about the 1926/27 deaths....that's terrible. Will not be informing the wife of this history!

18. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Anyone recommend some great onsens in or out of Furano and places to eat. Love pulling in somewhere and enjoying a onsen after an epic day on the snow. Will have a car so will be getting around. Thanks for any recommendations.

19. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Where in Furano are you staying? Hotel Naturwald and Hotel Bell Hills have decent public onsens for about 800yen.

For food we loved the sushi train restaurant in the proper Furano town near the station.

skifree likes this.
  20. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Great thanks! Staying at Chalet Burlap Furanui

21. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

For the really good Onsens head out to Tokachi. eg. Ryonkaku or Fukiage.
    https://www.furanotourism.com/sp/en/spot_S.php?kid1=4&kid2=14&kid3=67

For meals, plenty of places in the main town of Furano, but Masaya's is hard to beat. Lots of good reports.
    https://www.furanotourism.com/sp/en/spot_L.php?kid1=3
    http://furanomasaya.com/

ACHAD, skifree and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  22. sourmash

sourmash One of Us

23. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days

Great thanks for the links. I have been to the Hakuginso Onsen back in 2015. It was a ripper. Will add one of these other onsens to the to do list.

24. ACHAD

ACHAD Early Days