1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Future for Baw Baw

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Jellybeans, Sep 5, 2015.

1. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

Hotham have discontinued over 65 free entry because they now have license plate cameras instead of the friendly staff manning the entry booths. And if you are traveling through and stop at the pub for half an hour you will get a massive fine.
    Go, Bawbs!

Poppies likes this.
  2. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Sadly a rumour at this stage , the escalating fees and poor management from the Board has resulted in the closing of the oldest ski club and founding group at Baw Baw . This is a travesty where does this stupid state gov / board stop !! Another club acquired for free at the expense of 75 + years of history..:(:( I hope they can pull though !!

Poppies and Tanuki like this.
  3. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I hope this is not true, I'm going to make some calls tomorrow. I have not been a member for over 20 years, however sort of suspected this day may arrive. Still doesn't change the shock, bit rattled right now, lots of memories flooding through head.

Potential lost of history is a real worry, well done to government for finally finishing the job they started 18 years ago when they wiped out the Ski Tow company which this club founded.

4. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

Curious of the 40 odd clubs at Baw Baw, how many are in the hands of the RMB?

Poppies likes this.
  5. BawBawSkier

BawBawSkier Hard Yards

I don't think there has ever been 40 clubs, but those that the RMB have taken over, by fair means or foul are
    Adski (Now Banksia)
    Baw Bells (Now Frosty)
    Bunerong
    Kellys
    Leichardt (Renamed, to ?)
    RVIB (Also renamed)
    Skiosk
    Ski School (Now Snowgums 1 & 2)
    Tempest
    Watzman House (Now Village Hotel)
    Wonthaggi
    Not to mention the Ski tows
    and now apparently Baw Baw

They also built and own
    Altitude Apartments 1 & 2
    Village Restaurant
    Woolybutt Cabin

#55 BawBawSkier, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  6. Darzee

Darzee Hard Yards

I got a message from a current member.

"It is proposed that according to CONSUMER AFFAIRS VICTORIA Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012, Part 3, Section 76 (part 3) that Mt. Baw Baw Ski Club Inc. (A4612W) be wound up and cancelled where under Section 133 of the Act, the surplus assets are to be wholly transferred to “The Scout Association of Australia Victorian Branch ABN 39 662 387 026 (“Scouts Victoria”) which is a body that has similar purposes to our Association and which is not carried on for the profit or gain of its individual members, effective from the 12th April, 2018."

7. Onlybackscratchers

Baw Baw ski club was founded by Rovers and had a unusal setup in that members didn't own shares in the club. The Scouts Association taking over seems a much better outcome than into RMB hands.

Hopefully existing members might still be able to stay there into the future.

I am crying right now thinking about my Mum and Dad, proud Life Members. At least they didn't have to see this.

Tanuki and Jacko4650 like this.
  8. BawBawSkier

BawBawSkier Hard Yards

Surplus assets may not include the building

9. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

It is such a shame , our club is just keeping its head above water at present, over 20k in service fees alone . Sadly Baw Baw wont be the only club to fold . It is a disgrace if this sort of practice was carried out in a Melbourne council it would be an outrage :mad::(

Chaeron likes this.
  10. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

When did they take over Kellys? Calling @Charlie

11. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

This Month!

12. teckel

Hope they paid you megabucks!

13. SuskiQ

SuskiQ Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Sorry to hear it

14. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Ahh! A bloodless coup? So effectively the Victoarian Govt. will own all the resort infrastructure in addition to the land sounds very Bolshveik (1917?).

As for Cresta Valley lifts and buildings, if this was in the Melbourne Metro area I doubt the Govt & it's agencies would be so ballsy dealing with lessees.

...As for over-logging,

...as for <insert activity here> etc...

Chaeron likes this.
  15. Onlybackscratchers

Place hasn't burnt since 1939, 80 years of growth since. When the inevitable happens, probably sooner than later it will be all gone. The Aussie bush will recover and the taxpayer will save money.

FastFarmer likes this.
  16. djam

djam One of Us

no snow = no skiing, it's just how it goes, no amount of making snow and government hand outs
    is going to be the answer. Baw Baw needs to find new legs and Alpine skiing is not going to be part
    of the answer.

It was sad to get the email, re Baw Baw ski club, my parents also life members and even guaranteed
    loans at one point, to get though some bad years, and that was a long time ago too (60s-70s). A big
    part of my childhood was spent at Baw Baw, all year round. I too was happy to hear the Scouts appear
    to be the new owners, funny how it has come full circle.

Chaeron and Onlybackscratchers like this.
  17. teckel

Baw Baw now has a snow factory.

Chaeron likes this.
  18. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

If our Vic ski hills (esp the littlies), received even 10% of what footy & cricket stadiums/ovals receive in public funds - they could gold plate every ski lift & ski building abd then some!

Very sad! (And I love my footy & the Dons!)

Poppies, Chaeron and teckel like this.
  19. FastFarmer

FastFarmer Hard Yards

We used to be locals at Hill End and my kids learnt to ski on Baw Baw... but do they return now? No!! Hotham is the choice!

I disagree lack of snow is the issue. Any average downhill skier can ski the entire mount in 2 hours with little challenge and it's mental they haven't got a bulldozer in and wiped the entire south face nude with a big lift down the centre. Management for years have wanked on about the environment and protection of the baw baw frog... but drive 10 minutes down the road and it's happy days for loggers!

With the green attitude that exists over Baw Baw, a serious fire is the only hope Baw Baw has of ANY future.