Future for Baw Baw

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Jun 22, 2000
vic
Hotham have discontinued over 65 free entry because they now have license plate cameras instead of the friendly staff manning the entry booths. And if you are traveling through and stop at the pub for half an hour you will get a massive fine.
Go, Bawbs!

Reactions: Poppies

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
Sadly a rumour at this stage , the escalating fees and poor management from the Board has resulted in the closing of the oldest ski club and founding group at Baw Baw . This is a travesty where does this stupid state gov / board stop !! Another club acquired for free at the expense of 75 + years of history..:(:( I hope they can pull though !!

Reactions: Poppies and Tanuki
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
Sadly a rumour at this stage , the escalating fees and poor management from the Board has resulted in the closing of the oldest ski club and founding group at Baw Baw . This is a travesty where does this stupid state gov / board stop !! Another club acquired for free at the expense of 75 + years of history..:(:( I hope they can pull though !!

I hope this is not true, I'm going to make some calls tomorrow. I have not been a member for over 20 years, however sort of suspected this day may arrive. Still doesn't change the shock, bit rattled right now, lots of memories flooding through head.

Potential lost of history is a real worry, well done to government for finally finishing the job they started 18 years ago when they wiped out the Ski Tow company which this club founded.

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
Curious of the 40 odd clubs at Baw Baw, how many are in the hands of the RMB?

Reactions: Poppies

BawBawSkier

Hard Yards
Aug 23, 2011
I don't think there has ever been 40 clubs, but those that the RMB have taken over, by fair means or foul are
Adski (Now Banksia)
Baw Bells (Now Frosty)
Bunerong
Kellys
Leichardt (Renamed, to ?)
RVIB (Also renamed)
Skiosk
Ski School (Now Snowgums 1 & 2)
Tempest
Watzman House (Now Village Hotel)
Wonthaggi
Not to mention the Ski tows
and now apparently Baw Baw

They also built and own
Altitude Apartments 1 & 2
Village Restaurant
Woolybutt Cabin

Last edited:

Darzee

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2013
I got a message from a current member.

"It is proposed that according to CONSUMER AFFAIRS VICTORIA Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012, Part 3, Section 76 (part 3) that Mt. Baw Baw Ski Club Inc. (A4612W) be wound up and cancelled where under Section 133 of the Act, the surplus assets are to be wholly transferred to “The Scout Association of Australia Victorian Branch ABN 39 662 387 026 (“Scouts Victoria”) which is a body that has similar purposes to our Association and which is not carried on for the profit or gain of its individual members, effective from the 12th April, 2018."

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
Baw Baw ski club was founded by Rovers and had a unusal setup in that members didn't own shares in the club. The Scouts Association taking over seems a much better outcome than into RMB hands.

Hopefully existing members might still be able to stay there into the future.

I am crying right now thinking about my Mum and Dad, proud Life Members. At least they didn't have to see this.

BawBawSkier

Hard Yards
Aug 23, 2011
Baw Baw ski club was founded by Rovers and had a unusal setup in that members didn't own shares in the club. The Scouts Association taking over seems a much better outcome than into RMB hands.

Hopefully existing members might still be able to stay there into the future.

I am crying right now thinking about my Mum and Dad, proud Life Members. At least they didn't have to see this.
Surplus assets may not include the building

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
It is such a shame , our club is just keeping its head above water at present, over 20k in service fees alone . Sadly Baw Baw wont be the only club to fold . It is a disgrace if this sort of practice was carried out in a Melbourne council it would be an outrage :mad::(

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
It is such a shame , our club is just keeping its head above water at present, over 20k in service fees alone . Sadly Baw Baw wont be the only club to fold . It is a disgrace if this sort of practice was carried out in a Melbourne council it would be an outrage :mad::(

Ahh! A bloodless coup? So effectively the Victoarian Govt. will own all the resort infrastructure in addition to the land sounds very Bolshveik (1917?).

As for Cresta Valley lifts and buildings, if this was in the Melbourne Metro area I doubt the Govt & it's agencies would be so ballsy dealing with lessees.

...As for over-logging,

...as for <insert activity here> etc...

Reactions: Chaeron

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
Place hasn't burnt since 1939, 80 years of growth since. When the inevitable happens, probably sooner than later it will be all gone. The Aussie bush will recover and the taxpayer will save money.

Reactions: FastFarmer

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
no snow = no skiing, it's just how it goes, no amount of making snow and government hand outs
is going to be the answer. Baw Baw needs to find new legs and Alpine skiing is not going to be part
of the answer.

It was sad to get the email, re Baw Baw ski club, my parents also life members and even guaranteed
loans at one point, to get though some bad years, and that was a long time ago too (60s-70s). A big
part of my childhood was spent at Baw Baw, all year round. I too was happy to hear the Scouts appear
to be the new owners, funny how it has come full circle.

FastFarmer

Hard Yards
May 26, 2012
no snow = no skiing, it's just how it goes, no amount of making snow and government hand outs
is going to be the answer. Baw Baw needs to find new legs and Alpine skiing is not going to be part
of the answer.

We used to be locals at Hill End and my kids learnt to ski on Baw Baw... but do they return now? No!! Hotham is the choice!

I disagree lack of snow is the issue. Any average downhill skier can ski the entire mount in 2 hours with little challenge and it's mental they haven't got a bulldozer in and wiped the entire south face nude with a big lift down the centre. Management for years have wanked on about the environment and protection of the baw baw frog... but drive 10 minutes down the road and it's happy days for loggers!

With the green attitude that exists over Baw Baw, a serious fire is the only hope Baw Baw has of ANY future.

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Jun 22, 2000
vic
of the answer.

It was sad to get the email, re Baw Baw ski club, my parents also life members and even guaranteed
loans at one point, to get though some bad years, and that was a long time ago too (60s-70s). A big
part of my childhood was spent at Baw Baw, all year round. I too was happy to hear the Scouts appear
to be the new owners, funny how it has come full circle.
Enough is enough !
Private clubs and skiing all year round, please, intelligent government planners!
Clubs to pay only a percentage of profit in rates.
Ski village serviced by new chairlift.
Pommy style dry slopes with snow coming just as a bonus.

"
About Geoplast
Geoplast makes artificial surfaces that are adaptable and easy to manage – their product, Geoski, is a synthetic surface with three different models.

GS Top – a surface for skiers of all ability levels, which is perfect for alpine training slalom slopes.

GS Start – a surface that can be used for ski transportation such as ski lift tracks or access runs.

GS Fun – ideal for tubing and freestyle set ups like jumps, boxes and moguls.

They believe the future of their product isn’t just in new artificial ski centres, but also in ski resorts themselves, as it allows to increase cost-efficiency when covered with artificial snow.

Environmentally, an artificial slope in an area where the snow cover is generally very thin, so Geoski better than creating a huge amount of artificial snow from water reserves.

www.geoplast.it

"
http://snow.guide/dry-ski-slope/

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Interesting! Currently Baw Baw has free entry for over 65's, LM is still close to $50. I can see Baw Baw starting to charge seniors. Won't matter, their best snow seems to be after the season closes! ;)
BB has the best out of season spring XC skiing . Only 10-15 cms of fresh and it is XC skiable. Nov. 11th 2019 was better than many days in July. Amazing powder snow 30 cms deep. Because it seems to get the brunt of southerly weather systems in spring, it delivers the goods , even in Dec. 2019, if you ask @chriscross .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using