1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Gaijin Complaints

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Doonks, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

[MOD EDIT]
    I've merged all posts out of the "guy arrested in Japan" thread , over to this thread. The merge has banged all the below posts into 1 big one. Anyway, please feel free to continue your discussion

@Ecstatic

I suppose this thread and the backcountry thread are a good spot for me to put down my thoughts (expanded out to a whinge) on the tourist zoo that’s flocking over to Japan now.

Anyone getting turned off by the hordes of bogans, screaming Europeans and Heli Hanson Americans that populate pretty much every ski field of substance now? I’ve just come back from 2 weeks in Furano, in previous years central Hokkaido was my mountain sanctuary, we know Niseko has become a zoo and have kept away for that reason but it’s permeated everywhere. Having an proper outdoor onsen at the base of Tokachidake, when a group of Belgians came down and thought it’d be appropriate to scream from the path above and take photos, one Japanese guy took off shortly and at that point we might as well have been at Vale.

The backcountry is seeing the effects of this, we had a bunch of Aussies on park boards follow us out a North gate, we were expecting a hike out and came prepared, these guys were lucky to be able to follow our boot pack out otherwise would’ve been in trouble. Climbing up to the top bowl, I had to take an evasive line as I saw a group of people without backpacks preparing to drop over a cornice right above me.

Over at Kirroro, we had a crew ask us if there was any good snow in the backcountry gate, we asked if they were prepared with a avi backpack, beacon, shovel, probe and had registered with the mountain club. Later that day we found a Chinese girl in a creek with her boyfriend pulling her out, was in a spot where you wouldn’t expect anyone to fall in so I’d assumed she was so far out of her skill level she completely binned it.

The city’s that people tack sightseeing onto either end of the trip are bad as well, can’t cross the street without some peanut wanting to do a handstand on the crosswalk for insta. Bars that might as well be a contiki venues filled with blokes like this guy in the news.

I mean, I get that we couldn’t have the amazing snow in barely populated ski resorts at bargain basement prices forever. I’m glad that the Japanese in remote areas have come into a sustainable source of income for what were dying country towns. I just don’t want Japan ski tourism to become Kuta beach with snow, I can avoid Bali resorts as there isn’t much that interests me there. Finding Japanese quality snow without the scumbags is much harder.

(you're right this probably does belong in another thread)

The Search™

Largely it's about the snow and terrain, but it's also about avoiding the other things you're describing.

I'd wager Hokkaido was a bit busier this year due to the low tide that Honshu had for most of the season. It's the first time I've actually been up that way (out of 6 trips), and luckily I picked the right year to do it. Though I got some good days in the North of Honshu too, when it wasn't raining. I did find the resorts surrounding Otaru a bit busier than I'd expected. Probably about the same level of crowds as Hakuba 3 years ago. Thing is we could still ride good snow there until after lunch time on the days it dumped. You now have an influx of people to places like Hakuba, Niseko and Rusutsu based on them having Epic and Ikon passes, this can only have the effect of pushing others out to different resorts and exploring more. Also, for every jerk tourist I've ever come across in Japan there have been countless great people I've met over the years. It's worth keeping in mind. Some people mean well but they just don't really know what they're doing.

Interestingly, while there has been a steady increase of westerners at Shiga, it has been largely families and small groups. Being a groomer focused area with most of the linked resorts not allowing OOB skiing, it hasn't drawn the powder hounds or people who venture into the backcountry unprepared.

Time will tell whether this trend continues. This is especially true due to Shiga's elevation which usually means more consistent snow than other, lower, resort areas.

Definately should be in another thread. Maybe start a new one?

It is a bit sad but not unexpected. Any place that gets tagged as a 'powder' resort will these days with various social media get targeted. Places like Asahidake, Tokachidake, Hakkoda etc remained under the radar for quite some time, but even years ago there was already a big increase in the number of Euros there. There are though still quite a few places without the 'powder' tag, where you still see no foreigners at all.

This ^
    I’ve got a few things to add but might wait until the specific thread is either created or split from this one.

So, ummm. What's happened to the guy then?

And, yes. Where's that other thread? I've got some stuff to say too!

Potential titles for new thread:
    Japan powder haven now overrun
    Is Japow kapow?
    Japan fresh tracks frustrations.

Or even from Simon comment on hokkaidowilds:

van-loads of “pow hounds” and “vertical counters” disrespecting the dynamics

definitely needs a venting thread

go forth and vent

I quite like this one :ski:

Stack 'em and rack' em!

Kimski, LMB, fennekeg and 10 others like this.
  2. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I did wonder why you would start a thread with this title! Lol

Tonester likes this.
  3. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks @Doonks

Here’s my 2c worth.

The Kuta of the Snow days in Niseko were bang in the middle of the mining boom, in those days we sometimes came across angry mobs abusing each other in the street at 8pm walking home from dinner. It was horrid. It was still not common, but it was there.

I’ve been in Niseko this season for 8 weeks.
    I haven’t seen anything that remotely qualify as Gaijin disgraceful behaviour. But I also haven’t been out past midnight. Nothing good happens after midnight.

There was an incident in the apartment next door to ours while we were staying up the road and my son with in our apartment. A group of poorly behaved men from Melbourne arrived late at night and drunk and were rude, aggressive and arrogant. The boys avoided them as much as possible. One night they came back in the wee hours, drunk, screaming, fighting, vomiting in the shared areas and damaging property. It was about the time that some of my waxing equipment, that I generously share use of with anyone in the building, went missing. There was an intervention, all occupants were sent a letter apologising for the disruption and told any more issues and the people will be evicted. So idiots still come now and again, sometimes you are unfortunate enough to come across them. I thrill you chances of come across them go up exponentially if you’re bar hopping post midnight.

There have been a few reports of sucker punches in the staff pages by random tourists with anger management issues and zero reason for these attacks, but again, most happening at 2 and 3 am. Go home to bed people. Leave the angry ants to their wee hour rants.

In general, I think the majority of douchebags have been priced out of Niseko, they’ve spread themselves all over Japan resorts chasing powder often without following local rules or taking adequate precautions, and they’ll bring that same disrespect and selfishness to their human interactions fuelled by Strongs.

All we can do is set a better example.
    Interact with people and be the awesome human who is helpful, kind, considerate and friendly. Be responsible on the hill. Don’t cut people off. Help people who are struggling. Smile and say hi. Bring the good stuff. Outshine the bad stuff.

4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I fortunately have seen very little in the way of bad Gaijin behavior. But that is in a large part by design. I quite like checking out some different lesser known places where there are usually no foreigners at all. On my recent trip I saw zero foreigners skiing in 3 days in Gifu & Toyama and enjoyed it and got a bit of powder as well. I did see quite a few Australians on a day trip to Myoko Akakura as expected and then in my week at Shiga Kogen. They seemed to be mostly families and small groups and were fine. Also I don't go out much in the evening, so don't know what if anything happens then.

But as per my earlier comment it is places that are given the 'powder' tag (or Japow - a term I don't particularly like) where there are numerous Youtube videos that will attract more of the hoards and within that there will be some of bad element that see it just as a place to 'smash some pow' without any consideration for Japan itself. Once they get that tag I'm often tempted to try and look elsewhere.

5. Kimski

Kimski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think the difference with Shiga is also because for now it’s still mostly hotel based without that much in the way of apres / nightlife. A drawback for some no doubt but it certainly helps cut down on some of the behaviour you see at other resorts.

The worst Aussie bogan I’ve witnessed in person was in Hakuba, and like LMB pointed out it was right in the middle of the mining boom. I was staying at a lodge and a number of us who had met during the trip booked to eat at a nice izakaya in Echoland. There was a group of FIFO workers from Perth with us. A bit rough around the edges but seemed nice enough. In the middle of the meal for some reason one of the miners decided to start throwing food at a Russian couple at a nearby table. The Perth guys weren’t even that drunk so I have no idea what got into their head. I’d never been so embarrassed to be Australian.

LMB, cold wombat, MrT and 2 others like this.
  6. Heinz

Shiga Kogen remains very much old school Japanese without some of the facilities that western visitors seem to deem necessary, so that does seem to keep a few people away. This is why I decided to return after a long break and was happy with what I found (apart from the removal of some lifts). There were a few Australians staying in the same hotel, families and couple of older groups and they were perfectly fine, no bogan behavior at all. The noisiest guys were actually a group of Japanese retirees enjoying themselves.

Born2skii, skifree, fennekeg and 5 others like this.
  7. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

My first trip to Niseko was early Feb 2007. I was childless then, the resort was far more Japanese and Australians a noticeable but not obnoxious minority. I saw no bogan behaviour.

next trip to Niseko was late Feb/early March 2008. Still childless. Again I saw no bogan behaviour, but heard reports of embarrassing Aussie behavior earlier in the season. Saw no sign of it myself and by the time I got there the season was starting wind down mode.

then 2010 I started to go to Hakuba. Still childless. I stayed in what was then the outpost of Goryu. Yep. Again no real bogan behaviour. The closest I saw was some loud, entitled, selfish but not quite aggressive behaviour on a bus to Cortina (by an Aussie married woman) when Aussies were mainly congregated around Happo (Sakka).

The next three trips I went to Hakuba but had a child with me. If I was out, I went out early, and was home early. I saw lots and lots of not very good Australian skiers and boarders, well over half of whom seemed to be from SE Qld or North Qld - the Jetstar effect. They couldn’t ski, but virtually to a person they were harmless and warm people. It was the first time though I’d seen the typical characteristic of a travelling Australian skier change from a keen skier to a PB the Station holiday week type.

last two trips I’ve been back in Niseko. The growth of families over keen expert skiers is very noticeable. No issues there - I’m travelling with a family too now!! But what I also noticed is lots of Americans (lots of Americans) and Euros seem to have supplanted the Jetstar Aussie in Niseko. And Chinese. I did see one guy who clearly had mental health issues, and drunk, abandoned by his friends at the restaurant at the base of Hirafu Gondola winter 2019, and arrested by police: that’s the one moment in 8 trips.

So for whatever reason I’ve not seen an awful lot of the bogan Aussie at large.

fennekeg, Tanuki and LMB like this.
  8. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Like Heinz we tend to avoid the biggies and go touring or go to ‘off the radar’ resorts. The only cringeworthy behaviour I’ve seen is beers, tatts and loud talking in onsens. The other thing that can grate is groups of 10 or so gaigin ( usually on an organised tour) turning up at a quiet resort and just whooping and high fiving all the easy access in an hour, although I can understand why, given how hyped up such tours are. There are definitely less and less quiet resorts although reports from Tohoku this year seem to indicate that it’s still not teeming with foreigners except for Hakoda.
    I do however feel annoyed when places like Ani, Tazawako etc are highlighted with a feature on mountain watch for example. Although I know such places need all the patronage they can get to stay operating.
    What is concerning is the amount of ill equipped people going off piste, and people just following your tracks with no gear.
    On touring there has been an explosion at places like Asahidake and Tokachidake, with road head parking issues and competition for first tracks. Inevitable I suppose considering how good it can be.

I also find some frothing behaviour quite disrespectful of the general quiet nature of the Japanese culture.

like surf breaks in the 60’s 70’s it must be frustrating for those who frequented Japan in 80’s 90’s and 00’s. I guess you have to go further a field and tour more. There are heaps of touring option in Japan for all levels.
    The only constant is change.
    rant over

Belly, Hyst, LMB and 4 others like this.
  9. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Well I guess it depends on what Nationality the Gaijin are....

This last trip has intensified my distaste for large groups of a Nationality.
    Bar far and away the worst behaviour I witnessed was from Chinese tour groups in Nara, Osaka, Snow-Monkeys and Shirakawago.
    Rude, self centred and pushy . Just lacking any common sense or manners.
    Its something i've seen in NZ a fair bit. Though not in Japan..

My other beef. Mainly centred on Hakuba .
    The entitled wanker seasonal staff that seem commonplace in Jindy in winter have made their presence well know.
    Its a pity.

Lady Penelope, fennekeg, M_G and 5 others like this.
  10. LMB

Have to agree Donza.

The worst behaviour I’ve witnessed over the last 14 years in Niseko has been from Chinese tourists. We plan to eat in during Chinese New Year, it’s just way less stressful. It’s also a time we will chose for earned turns a drive away from the resort, or a snowshoe trek or something that doesn’t involve fighting for lifts.

And I also agree regarding the seasonal staff with attitude. The majority here are awesome! Especially the ones that are back every year. However there is always a few...they party to the point of losing their phones, wallets and Gaijin cards ... and get obnoxious ala “don’t you know who I am”. Again, they are a small small minority. And it’d be great if their employers and colleagues dialled them in!

11. Heinz

Mt previous comments were purely related to the ski areas. But like you have seen plenty of Chinese in tourist spots and airports and many stand out for all the wrong reasons as you describe.

Donzah likes this.
  12. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

As far as bogan and disrespectful Aussies in Japan go, they were there even in the early 2000s. Problem is that you always notice them, the other 98% are just going about their holiday normally. The tattooed FIFO gang were quite bad, including the females that seem attracted to that type.

Donzah, Hyst and LMB like this.
  13. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sadly this also carries over to Onsen use too
    What was once a haven of peace and reflection now seems to be a holiday swimming pool
    I swear one fat kid was about to bomb the main Onsen at Rusutsu egged on by his adoring father but a Japanese guy strategically positioned himself in the bath

14. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

I've just caught up with a friend of mine, whose son has recently returned from his first Japow trip. He, and his friends, chose Hakuba. He was dismayed at the large number of (bogan) Aussies there. In fact, he referred to Hakuba as "Hakubali". Apt, I thought. Anyway, he is keen to have a chat with me about other places to visit. Should I tell him? ;):whistle:

15. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Certainly didn't see any bogan Aussie Aussie behaviour this year and I wonder if you might have correctly fingered the tightening economy for that
    Saw a fair bit of gaijin ski line rudeness though

LMB likes this.
  16. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

I agree.

17. Donzah

The Aussie bogans are very easy to avoid in Hakuba...
    Don't go to Wadano or Happo.
    Shop at Delicia rather than Big

Fancy_Pants and Tonester like this.
  18. Donzah

Oh and avoid Rhythm . Maddison and Blake (not their real names) are killing it up there...
    yew

Annabuzzy and Tonester like this.
  19. LMB

Oh yeah... loads. Chinese were the worst in the past however this season it was the Euro’s and Americans. And not even just pushing through and gradually moving ahead in the queue (which I’ve been guilty of doing myself this season when we were lap coaching) but joining the big powder day queues near the front from the side with zero stealth. And ignoring uniformed Instructor’s when they call them out on it. SO entitled!

MisterMxyzptlk and cold wombat like this.
  20. LMB

20 something group of young males?
    They were probably going to the exact places at the exact times as the ones that will behave poorly after a few drinks.

I don’t have a problem with a bit of exuberant pub behaviour, happy people, celebrating their awesome day, singing, dancing, laughing. It’s when you turn nasty with booze, or you continue the screaming and carry on down the street all the way home at 2am. Or you try to take it into the Onsen or restaurant.

If you send the kid to Shiga for example, he might be gutted by the lack of Apres options. Kinda catch 22.

My lot have found the balance by bailing immediately if there’s any agro. And by doing Apres early then returning to the apartment to play cards with Lawson’s Chicken and Strongs.

Ozgirl likes this.
  21. Ecstatic

Ecstatic Hard Yards

Other than my epic whinge that triggered the thread, I think I can summarize my gripes into 3 main areas (in increasing annoyingness).

Crowds: (of any country of origin); pretty self explanatory, we're all comparing the lift lines and competition for fresh snow against a backdrop of bubble era resorts that weren't advertised well to rest of the world. Combined with the locals aversion to going off piste the stories of laps ducking straight off the lift into the trees, lines of fresh powder down to the bottom and repeat all day. It was the dream, it was never going to last and is almost unfair to compare it to today (especially when you see the vale photos).

Nightlife / Off Mountain Behavior: The anecdotes above capture it pretty well, it's more the little things that bother me that idiots on the p*ss. If you have tattoos, at least ask the onsen owners before entering, there are plenty of places that have it signed and the sleeve tatts don't seem to care, ditto the drinking and loudness, at least make an effort to be respectful. The other bug bears of talking on the phones, rubbish, parking, I wish the good tourists would make more of a stand than leaving the locals to suffer in silence . As unpleasant as it is, it's a cultural clash and will probably end up with a middle ground that we'll all live with tattoos are probably just going to be accepted everywhere etc).

Backcountry Safety: We're seeing the increase in rescues and accidents due to people venturing out far and taking risks in search of fresh snow. Ultimately (especially when you are considering touring), there's not much beyond expecting people to be conscious of the risks and being as prepared as they can, not a problem that's unique to Japan at all. The real issue I'm seeing is more and more unprepared people heading into lift accessed backcountry (I say backcountry not side country because that's what it is). I see so many people that might be on their 10th day of riding in their life ducking ropes, following tracks and getting themselves into spots well beyond their knowledge or ability. I really don't know why resorts aren't more restrictive in their gate policies, if you mandated registering with the resort before heading out, requiring the appropriate equipment (beacon, shovel, probe, helmet etc) and actually enforced it (i.e checked at the gates, strictly enforced ducking of ropes). You would see the level of awareness from the general population lift to suit the requirements. Resorts could also cap the backcountry pass numbers subject to conditions as is done at small hills in the states to guarantee a minimum quality of snow for everyone there.

I also think that it's probably necessary at some point for the government to put a cap on the number of guiding companies operating in an area and work on a model to transition the guiding companies to Japanese nationals. It just doesn't seem right to have so many foreigners make money off the mountains without having the connection to the land and society that the locals do. I suppose the equivalent would be transient Chinese workers guiding foreigners on all inclusive tours around Uluru, just doesn't sit right.

Kimski, skifree, LMB and 6 others like this.
  22. Donzah

I'm not sure i'd leave it up to the Japanese to regulate and control guiding operations.. From my understanding the whole structure of their guiding "qualifications" is ad hoc at best.
    Equally though. Many of the foreign companies that "guide" in Japan are bodgy AF IMO.

LMB likes this.
  23. bluestick

Great summary of the issues. Although I’m probably just a grumpy old fart who wants it to always be as it used to be, like Lennox 40 years ago.

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  24. Annabuzzy

Completely agree. People sharing on social media their secret spot means it’s not going to remain secret. It’s the dumbest idea ever

PMG and skifree like this.
  25. bluestick

Powderhounds, mountainwatch : you’d think these commercial sites would know better but $ talk.TR’s on here probably don’t help either ( I plead guilty and will refrain from specifics in the future)

26. Donzah

Yeah... but on the flip side. Some areas need the patronage .
    I don't think TRs on this community have sweet FA impact on crowds.

For the record. Resort skiing wise. I thought the crowds in January in Hakuba were down to what i've experienced.

I think there is ALOT of "BC" skiers hitting Hakuba for better or worse nowadays. Fair sense of entitlement as well.

I remember watching the exit on South ... and it was like a procession of people. Counted 50 in 10 mins
    A few years ago. You'd be lucky to see 5 people in a hour .

27. Heinz

It isn't really about secret spots. There are just some lesser known spots that need a bit of research. The info is out there, but sometimes needs a bit of effort to find. I know several people here have picked up on places I have written about in my TR's and I am happy with that. I try to give a realistic view and not sensationalise. Many of these places need the visitors to survive, so an extra few people from here is a good thing. I think the people here in the main are keen skiers/boarders, are better researched and have a better grasp of the cultural side.
    I don't see this leading to big crowds and bad behavior.

blowfin, Froff Life, Kimski and 7 others like this.
  28. Donzah

Concur.
    Eg reading @Crispy013 recent TR you can see its apparent.

Telemark Phat and fennekeg like this.
  29. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

A few comments....
    Locals aversion to off piste: The word is out..... I've noticed in the last two seasons, that more and more Japanese snowboarders are attacking the powder in increasing numbers. This means that the powder is being tracked out quicker, and it's now Japanese that are doing it!!
    A Japanese snowboarder friend of mine told me (when I asked bout him riding powder), said he'd seen Aussie skiers and snowboarders riding powder, wondered WHY, tried it and never looked back.

Crowds?
    Shiga Kogen. It may lack facilities that gaijin want, but it still has that Japanese feel, and is not crowded during the weekdays.
    No powder? LOL.
    Can't cross ropes? Plenty of places you don't have to!

LMB and Heinz like this.
  30. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

And these are reasons I would love to return to Shiga. Quiet. No rampant foreigners. A more traditional flavour to the resort. Just lovely, really. A lack of off-piste adventures will deter many. What a shame ;) Nozawa Onsen and Hakuba seem to attract a lot of gaijin with bad manners, sadly.

Kimski likes this.
  31. Heinz

Can certainly confirm the first point. That was definitely true in the 80's & 90's, but is certainly no longer the case. On my recent trip I skied at a few places in Gifu & Toyama where there were zero foreign skiers and some fresh snowfall. 20 years ago that would have meant unlimited fresh lines for days, but now the locals are all over it and do a good job tracking it. Still plenty of lines to be found, but not like it used to be.

On Shiga - the only crowds you need to worry about on weekdays are when you stumble on a large group of minions starting up, coming back from lunch or blocking a trail. Otherwise pretty well no queues.

M_G likes this.
  32. Sandy

Lack of off piste adventures.... Heh heh ;)

TheFake and Lady Penelope like this.
  33. Donzah

The reality is . Shiga attracts a certain type of skier ... who for lack of better expression. Ain't a pain in the arse.
    Equally those skiers in Hakuba and Nozawa are fine as well.

Kimski and Lady Penelope like this.
  34. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Nozawa still retains it’s appeal as a very attractive village. The trails are kinda attractive too! I enjoyed edging past the “warning .. steep piste .... 39 degree slope” signs and picking my way down Schneider :D I’d certainly like to return to Hakuba and check out Cortina and the lesser known (to Westerners) resorts within the Hakuba area.

skifree likes this.
  35. smackies

smackies A Local

Ummm. Unicorn.

36. Donzah

So Phat

smackies likes this.
  37. Sandy

I talked to an Aussie who'd been to Cortina to ride the powder fight the hordes for one run of awesomeness / the joy of waiting in lines for 30 min.

I asked him if he'd also gone to Norikura.... He said "where's that?... Is that the family mountain next to Cortina?"
    It was his 4th trip to Hakuba LOL

M_G, Froff Life and Lady Penelope like this.
  38. smackies

smackies A Local

39. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Have definitely noticed a big change in attitude in Japan generally towards foreigners/tourists these days compared to 10, or 20 years ago. Sad to see but not entirely unjustified imo.

Belly likes this.
  40. Mr.Roo

Mr.Roo First Runs

Yep my Japanese friend believes the Olympics is going to blow this out big time. A lack of respect and ignorance by foreigners en masse could change the Japanese travel experience for ever.

Sage Oya likes this.
  41. LMB

IMHO if you made Beacon/Shovel/Probe compulsory and manned gates then there would be no need for a cap. The numbers would drop to a manageable level, even if guided groups went out.

It’ll be interesting to see what impact the Helmet/Beacon rule for Niseko gates will have next season. I mean, if you’re buying a beacon you may as well add the backpack with shovel and probe. If you’re hiring a beacon hopefully the place of hire will go the up sell of the avy backpack and kit. And hopefully that will lead to more interest, maybe a bit of avy training.

skifree likes this.
  42. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Helmet rule? Crikey

dawooduck and LMB like this.
  43. LMB

Yeah, it does seem a bit nuts to make helmets mandatory out the gates, yet not check for a kitted avy pack. I guess it probably comes down to the rescues they’ve had to do.

Beacon: easier to locate your corpse.

Helmet: most of the gate fatalities are “hit a tree” - maybe a higher proportion of those weren’t wearing a helmet.... I’m a helmet person, but tbh I feel is much more crucial onpiste than off.

skifree and dawooduck like this.
  44. bluestick

Yep definitely from my observations more Japanese are into resort based off piste. There is also a strong local touring culture with heaps of the older demographic participating. I have so much respect for these people some of whom are in their 70,s and older powering up and down hills. Just enjoying being out there. Does not seem to be nearly as many old farts touring in Aus.

Sandy likes this.
  45. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

In 1990 the ski school was a couple of demountables at Norikura. I think I still have the patch they gave me for helping out for a week..Good times.

Sandy, PMG and Annabuzzy like this.
  46. Annabuzzy

There may be something in that, but frankly I expect foreign visitation to be waaaaaay down due to coronavirus.

Also Japan has hosted at least two prior games, but it’s also fair to say western culture was then much more polite, and essentially only the rich could afford to travel (except maybe ‘98, but even then travel was not a true mass activity yet). So yeah wildly different experiences

fennekeg, Mr.Roo and piolet like this.
  47. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Those pesky Japanese snowboarders sure chew things up very quickly these days.

Nozawaman likes this.
  48. Heinz

Yes, it was the Japanese snowboarders that started the move away from the norm into the offpiste at least 10 years ago. The skiers have more recently caught on also.

LMB likes this.
  49. LMB

Visionary trailblazers :thumbs:
    Today’s skiers can thank them.
    :p

50. Sandy

The key as a skier, is to find resort powder, where it's more difficult for snowboarders to break the trail to the choice spots!!!
    You can be imaginative in Japan, and find pockets of powder that are not obvious... In my recent 10 days at Shiga Kogen(over two trips), I've been more imaginative, and you can find powder without ducking ropes, because there's so much territory there.
    I've been scoping lines that I've never looked at before, and there are loads of them. :D

skifree, bluestick and currawong like this.