1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Gaijin Complaints

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Doonks, Feb 29, 2020.

1. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

The euros are good at designing snowboarding unfriendly resorts

2. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The Japanese skiers at least. Not so much the Gaijin skiers.

I also recall though Japanese telemark skiers making fun backcountry videos around the Tokachi mts from the 90's and 2000's. @telenomore will certainly remember those. They had a name which I can't currently recall.

edit. Remember now - I think it was the Sandanyama ski club.

#52 Heinz, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    telenomore, skifree and piolet like this.
  3. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

From what I've seen of the Facebook groups and etc. that are publicising some hills, they're almost certainly in some sort of commercial arrangement with the skijo's. So it's not so much that they're "spoiling" these secret places, it's that they've probably scored a free holiday for their writers for the story to be published, and the resorts are keen for more business. There's one particular page which is quite careless in it's promotion of a fairly dangerous area. But hey, they probably aren't going to stop spamming it in the short term.

I've learnt a lot about Japan from this forum, sites like powderhounds and snow-japan, and even a website run by a forum member. He's one of the main reasons Myoko has gotten popular AFAIK. The resources are out there and publicly available for anyone who wants to actually do the research. I agree that crowds and problems don't really come from that demographic, it's more the package deals, overly promoted spots, and worldwide ski pass locations that seem to get these issues.

I experienced people this year who'd duck ropes first thing in the morning, rather than smashing the fresh lines on the piste. It was pretty confusing, and I've added it to my list of strange behaviours I've seen over the years. Ducking ropes to hit traverse lines that get you less vertical than the regular approach has been another amusing one.

4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Agree that package deals would play a big part. People on the forum will be more 'do it yourself' types who will use the forum as a good part of their research, so will have a good range of opinions and advice. I doubt many package deal types would visit or even be aware of the forums. They will go with whatever the package says or what they see on unfiltered social media, so would often have less understanding of accepted practices.

blowfin likes this.
  5. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

6. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Even though the low hanging fruit is quicker to go its not that hard to stay a few steps ahead of the pack without too much effort in Japan or Aus. Generally (big overgeneralisation) people going on a ski ‘holiday’ or guided trip are time poor and want to be just given the experience. Thankfully there are still lots of opportunities to find stuff for yourself if you want to put in the effort and experience the joy of discovery and mistakes. Maps today make it so easy.

skifree, Kimski, Rabid K9 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Your read those squiggly, close together liney things on maps?

S'pose you even have one of those compassy things?

Freak.

skifree likes this.
  8. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not that freaky, yes always carry hard copy map and compass but I was referring more to the widespread availability of good topos and gps on your phone etc. However GPS does take the fun out of working out where you are especially in white outs.

skifree likes this.
  9. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thats right, they put out some great videos, still have them somewhere. Had a few telemarketers in their ranks.

skifree likes this.
  10. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I can even make a contour interval cross section using a piece of spagehetti!

bluestick likes this.
  11. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

To be fair, your main complaint is the popularity rising of these "quiet" resorts you think you discovered. The tour groups are probably well equiped and lead by people who at least have some idea of where they are and where they are going with some sort of emergency plan & equipment. The main job of a 'guide' is to get the client the best, safe skiing they can Just my experience anyway. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you're more than adept at finding the next place to explore. There's plenty of them - especially for ski touring - Off the top of my head just in the central-northern area - Shokanbetsu, Horokanai, Teshio / Ukishima pass, Kitami pass, the whole area near Akan, Shari-dake through to the Shiretoko peninsula, Nissho pass, the mountains near Shikaribetsu lake, Mikuni Pass

fennekeg, Telemark Phat and piolet like this.
  12. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

And they had a great dog I had the pleasure to meet Tokachi / Sandanyama way. He was getting on then, a few grey hairs but still chasing through thigh deep snow.