1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Gate Lines on Weekend

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Powder777, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Powder777

Powder777 Hard Yards

Hi Guys,

I have read a couple of times that there can be major delays and dramas at the Resort Entry Gate on the weekend (people waiting for hours in line, or even can not drive up at all anymore).

So, I just wonder: From what time on in the morning does it generally turn bad?
    And are Saturday and Sundays the same? I would guess Saturday would draw a bigger crowd...but I may be wrong.

And is there usually also traffic jam before 8am? (50% off resort entry, plus no line would sound good to me :D )

The reason I am asking is, I will drive up from near Mansfield this Saturday and Sunday morning and want to figure out how to avoid the delays :)

Thank you

2. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

The earlier, the better.

You're already in Mansfield and ahead of the Melbourne conga line. Take advantage of it!

Get up very early, avoid the BS, have a coffee in the village and go skiing.

Froff Life likes this.
  3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

3 words:

Get there early.

I'd definitely take advantage of the discount, they're offering it for a reason!!!

cin, Vermillion and mx_boarder like this.
  4. wolly

wolly One of Us

yes get there early, horse hill car park was full by 915 the other morning .until something is done to improve traffic management/flow in the skating rink there will also be delays in parking. the whole resort entry area needs to be remodelled to suit current conditions. they need more than 3 lanes / paybooths and a better system to get prepaid cars past the gate.
    in saying that the queue does move along. I think people need to have there money or card ready before they get to the gate, not be fishing around for there wallet once at the toll booth

5. Powder777

Powder777 Hard Yards

Ok, Thanks :)

Looks like getting there early is the best way to go.

Will try to be at the gate around 7:30am-7:45am, then hopefully be at the car park around 8:15am - 8:30am, then coffee and then off to the slopes :)

Since snow is forecasted for tomorrow and Saturday there may be a good chance that even 4WDs have to put chains on I guess...then it may take a bit more time, but thats ok.

6. CarveMan

The answer to that is in the other thread on Vic skiing - Lake Mountain is by far the best snowplay resort in Victoria.

7. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you're getting to the carpark at 8:15am, I'd skip coffee and get straight on the slopes. You can get the Horse Hill (aka Northside Express) chair from the carpark and ski straight off it.

8. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If you're talking about getting in a coffee before you ski, then first lifts really arent your priority. That said, you'd be better off getting on Horse Hill and having a hot choc or coffee at Spurs first thing. That way you can sit at the window and watch all the guys out there getting the first tracks you arent.

Froff Life likes this.
  9. Powder777

Powder777 Hard Yards

Yea, getting straight on the horse hill chair is the best solution, but I should have mentioned first that I got a beginner girlfriend with me who I want to drop off at the ski school first :)

Can you ski down well to the horse hill car park or does that include lots of walking? (I am snowboarding, so walking would be even harder).
    Or do people take the Horse Hill chair back down? Maybe even from midstation?

After my gf rented her gear at Buller Central, I may drop her non-ski shoes back to the car (renting at horse hill was not available to book online for some reason)....alternative would be to rent a locker if available :)

10. Vermillion

Do they still do ski school from Spurs?

HH will download in the afternoons, mid-station is the lowest point on the hill, and they dont download from there as it's 80% of the way back to the carpark anyway. HH should be open for ski hire, otherwise get a locker or put the shoes in a backpack.

11. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ride the chair down, else long walk uphill

12. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yep
    Dropped a ginner off there last season.

13. DbSki

Cant ski to HH carpark.
    HH loads from mid on the up side but not always, see a hydraulic ram there that pulls the cable wheel down on the up side only to allow loading, in the up position the chair is too high off the loading ramp.
    No loading or unloading on the downside you need to go the whole length.

If you need to stash stuff in the car at HH during the day just get on at top and do the round trip.

If you have skis already in the car a second set is no issue so hire in Mansfield (From Hans at Mansfield Ski Hire) then you can get to HH and you both have your gear and can hit the lift no messing around up there with gear.
    You don't want gear hire to slow you up and miss lessons so if you get it early in Mansfield soon as Hans opens and avoid crowds then you can get up to HH all kitted and get to the lesson on time no probs.

14. scalymanfish

scalymanfish A Local

Buller + weekend = nightmare.

MickM likes this.
  15. DbSki

Few occasion I have skied weekends is taking others up who cant get off mid week with kids.
    Sometime can be simpler to just take your time and get them to an arvo lesson with kids because hiring can take some time to kit them up and round them up, fed, watered and get them all up to a morning lesson in time and not hard to miss morning lesson.

In those case I get them on the Village bus and get skis at Georges and rent lockers there for their gear and if we get any drop outs they can mill around the village not stuck at Spurs.

But for a GF or just one on board we get them skis very early in Mansfield and no trouble or delay getting to morning lesson for them.
    Hans opens early so can get to him at 7AM and all sorted on the road by 7:30 or sooner from Mansfield all kitted, just need to park and walk to lift and get them to Spurs.

travelislife likes this.
  16. CarveMan

Or just ski the home trail to the skating rink - small walk up to HH then.

Vermillion likes this.
  17. DbSki

Good idea but Ive done that with a new skier GF in tow and by the time we did home trail and the walk with skis and gear and made the car she was getting pretty tired and grumpy by then.

CarveMan likes this.
  18. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This. 100% hire in Mansfield. At one of the other shops not Buller Sports. Park HH. Ride Northside to Spurs. Play around on the carpet there with your GF (get your head out of the gutter when reading that sentence!). GF has lesson. You board. Meet at Tirol or Spurs for lunch. Ski/board. Meet at Spurs at end of day. Catch Northside back to HH car park.

19. DbSki

Yep, best to not watch your GF having a lesson too.

20. Jellybeans

Jellybeans calm and rational Ski Pass: Gold

Do prepaid cars get affected by the gate drama? Driving up on Sunday Morning.

21. CarveMan

Yes because the line often extends a few km before Mirimbah and the prepaid lane is 50m long.

22. Jellybeans

Getting there early!!!

23. Jellybeans

Has anyone got numbers on how many of these are just snow players?

24. wolly

wolly One of Us

shitloads!

djam likes this.
  25. Jellybeans

I don't understand why you sit in a queue down the bottom at Buller 3 hours from Melb, when you can just drive 2 hours to LM .

MickM likes this.
  26. CarveMan

This.

It's a great setup there.

Vermillion likes this.
  27. DbSki

LM is the best kept secret in Vic.
    That's the problem.
    When was the last time you saw LM adverts ?
    Ive never seen one, on YouTube plenty for Buller and on TV too.
    Absent from Snow reports on the weather on TV that only mention big resorts.

IMO it is just that people don't know it exists and a few adverts for it on TV and internet would pay off.
    Its a place that is likely to benefit more from mainstream advertising than Buller because it appeals to far more people than just skiers and boarders, virtual anyone that wants to see or play in snow.
    And if they only want that why would they go past LM to Buller.

Maybe they should rename it to Mt Lake too.
    Lake Mountain may not translate well into other languages. some might think its a Lake not a Mountain.
    Whatever it takes to make it simpler for non snow people to find out its a mountain with snow on it like any other and closer to Melb.

28. dr80

dr80 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'd be organising rental gear for gf Friday evening in Mansfield if possible.
    Have everything, rental and lift passes, organised before Saturday.
    The less you have to do Saturday am, the better.
    Definitely don't go to Buller Sports Mansfield Saturday morning. High chance of hold up and delay.

Don't aim to get to entry gate at 7.45 imo; there will already be traffic and queues and you may not get through before 8 am.

I would leave (near?) Mansfield at 6.30. Aim to get to the gate by 7.15. The earlier 30 mins makes a big difference and the day becomes that much easier and more enjoyable.

DbSki likes this.
  29. Jellybeans

LM isn't in the best economic state, and Buller has deals with Channel Seven. That gives them a lot of advertising oppurtunity. The cash cow that is Buller wants these daytrippers to keep rolling in because of the belief if the customer snow plays at Buller, then they will ski at Buller.

30. Jellybeans

So that means 4am from Melbourne :(

31. MickM

MickM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What time does the gate open?

32. Jellybeans

7am I think

MickM likes this.
  33. Jellybeans

At least I don't have to go through the HH Carparks

34. Vermillion

Dont understand the issues here. Get up early, leave Melb suburbs at 4am, get to Mansfield before 7, get to Buller gate around 730, into the carpark around 8, get your shit sorted and get first lifts on HH. Finish up around 3pm (not much good happens after 3pm anyway) get back down the mountain before the majority and on the way home, get home around 7-8pm.

35. DbSki

He's starting from overnight stay near Mansfield so has a few options.

36. travelislife

I thought it was 24 hours. Ie it doesn't close. Just pay online.

Vermillion likes this.
  37. Jellybeans

Are the queues worse on Sundays ?

38. Hully

Hully One of Us

Ahhh the irony, when I make a comment on another thread of yours that is along these exact lines you turn it into an anti Falls Creek shyte toss. You wonder why your posts annoy people!

wolly likes this.
  39. CarveMan

Just in from RMB:

STAKEHOLDER NOTIFICATION

Expected high levels of day visitation Saturday 6 August and Sunday 7 August

With recent snowfalls and a favourable weather forecast, high levels of visitation are again predicted this weekend.To prepare for large numbers, particularly in relation to day visitors, several strategies are in place to cater for increased numbers of guests, including:

• Additional shuttle buses to transport visitors from the day car parks to the Village and return. This includes additional services on standby to transport guests from final car parking reserves lower down on the Mt Buller Rd including chain bay 3 and Mirimbah Park in the event that all other car parks are at capacity.
    • Communication will be sent to Mt Buller stakeholders, as well as ski hire and other businesses in Mansfield and Merrijig, if high numbers are experienced throughout the morning so customers can be advised prior to their arrival at resort entry.
    • Communication will be sent via Mt Buller's social media channels and via a push notification on the Mt Buller Live app.

If you are speaking with customers planning to visit for the day, please consider communicating the following to them:

• Purchase online - save money and get on the slopes quicker. Buying online means you'll not only save money, but you can pre-print your entry pass and use the express lane when you arrive.
    • Arrive early and save - arriving between 7am and 8am means resort entry is half price (applicable to the day rate only and overnight parking fees still apply).
    • If planning a day visit - arrive in the morning and enjoy more of the day. Arriving later means less chance to experience the snow.

40. Vermillion

How will all the people who they blocked on social media because they didnt like their comments going to find out the status of parking/access? Or should they just go somewhere else?

travelislife likes this.
  41. leigh the noob

leigh the noob Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

On Sat I arrived at Mirimbah resort entry about 7:10, there was no queue at all, and basically went straight through. Parked, got on Northside Express, first ski run about 8:00 :). Note: best deal pricewise is actually to arrive between 7-8am and pay half price resort entry, save much more than booking online! They should also offer this midweek, as the unintended consequence is making it more attractive to go early on Sat/Sun, hence adding to congestion on those days.

On the way down again there were certainly indications of "high levels of day visitation": there were many people queued for the bus shuttle to go down the mountain, cars parked in chain fitting bays (luckily no chain fitting required on the day), and at Mirimbah seems there were cars parked in every available flat spot of grass or gravel. I got no idea how many (if any) were turned away.

#41 leigh the noob, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    dr80, mx_boarder and CarveMan like this.
  42. Rush

Rush Pool Room

LM has the same issue on busy snow days as Buller.

43. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

So true.

There would be a slab of weekend punters who would be able to make midweek happen with suitable encouragement.

leigh the noob and dr80 like this.
  44. MickM

MickM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just no :out:

DbSki likes this.
  45. travelislife

Stayed down in Sawmill Settlement Friday/Saturday night. Hit the gate at about 7:55am on both Sat/Sun and no issues getting in with the half price entry, it is a great enticement to make sure up early enough to get there! No crowds at all really.

MickM likes this.