1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question General store at Mt Hotham

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Moondog55, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Thinking about the usual quick trip from Falls to Hotham for this coming white season. I don't usually bother coming into Hotham itself, just making Charlie Derrick and turning around to head back. But this year I was thinking of seeing how light I could do it and buying supplies for the trip back in Hotham Village. What bushwalking supplies other than 2-minute noodles does the general store carry in winter? I assume they carry ramen because everybody does these days
    Does it ever carry canister fuel or metho?
    With the new pack and cutting everything to the bone I was thinking of trying to get the FSO weight down to 10 kg [ not counting skis/poles/boots] just to see if I could and buying food for the return ski and spending a full day at Charles Derrick

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

or connect with someone living at hotham for the season and arrange a supply dump

3. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Plenty of cheap food for hothamites on a budget, but no bushwalking supplies that i recall

4. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Leave a pre-season food drop....

5. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

It's only a kilo of food plus a few Mars bars/Snickers/ coffee sachets for the breakfast brew?
    100 grams of canister fuel.
    I didn't think it would be worth making a food dump but I guess I could leave a small coffee can of stuff under the hut and carry a big canister of gas. BUT
    It's $40- worth of fuel to drive from Falls To Hotham in green season so I thought time and pollution wise spending that money in the village might be the better option.

nezumi likes this.
  6. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

hi. There is a supermarket at Hotham central and also at the Genny with lots of regular supplies, well beyond 2 minute noodles. Fresh vegies plus dried foods (cereals, pasta, etc). Not sure re fuel but don't think either carries that sort of thing.

cookieman likes this.
  7. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

As Cam mentioned, the supermarket at Central is probably more useful. Easier access as well.

8. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

if you had a whisperlite stove, you could just steal petrol from an audi parked at Loch