Getting from Jindabyne to Thredbo

Agnieszka

First Runs
Mar 19, 2021
I've booked a bus from Canberra to Jindabyne on June 9th. Greyhound direct service to Thredbo doesn't start until the official snow season, and I can't seem to find any shared shuttles. The cheapest private transfer from Jindabyne to my accommodation in Thredbo I've found is $135. Are there any suggestions for cheaper alternatives, or is $135 the best I can hope for?

Agnieszka

First Runs
Mar 19, 2021
I paid the $135 begrudgingly. Crazy journey. The driver wanted to turn back halfway due to the terrible weather and the idiots without snow chains blocking the road, but luckily, we made it in the end.

Thankfully, I have a direct bus to Canberra (Greyhound) on the way back, so I don't have to fork out another $135. A ridiculous price. He didn't even take me to the hotel. I had to lug my suitcase up about five flights of stairs from Thredbo Info Centre in the snow.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I paid the $135 begrudgingly. Crazy journey. The driver wanted to turn back halfway due to the terrible weather and the idiots without snow chains blocking the road, but luckily, we made it in the end.

Thankfully, I have a direct bus to Canberra (Greyhound) on the way back, so I don't have to fork out another $135. A ridiculous price. He didn't even take me to the hotel. I had to lug my suitcase up about five flights of stairs up from Thredbo Info Centre in the snow.
I reckon $135 is a reasonable charge for that service.

Nightmare conditions on the road, so risky with the numnuts in 2WD cars with no chains.

Internal roads to drop at the hotel (I’m assuming the Denman given you’re saying 5 flights of stairs) may well have been even more treacherous than the drive Jindy to Thredbo.

And while you had to haul your bag up stairs in the snow, you’d still be tucked up nice and warm in your room well before he got back to Jindy, being exposed to double the risk in having to do a return journey in those conditions.

Bus is great as a budget option.

Agnieszka

First Runs
Mar 19, 2021
I reckon $135 is a reasonable charge for that service.

Nightmare conditions on the road, so risky with the numnuts in 2WD cars with no chains.

Internal roads to drop at the hotel (I’m assuming the Denman given you’re saying 5 flights of stairs) may well have been even more treacherous than the drive Jindy to Thredbo.

And while you had to haul your bag up stairs in the snow, you’d still be tucked up nice and warm in your room well before he got back to Jindy, being exposed to double the risk in having to do a return journey in those conditions.

Bus is great as a budget option.
In the conditions, yes, I don't feel too bad paying $135. But the price was agreed far in advance of knowing how bad of a journey it would be. $135 for what is supposed to be a 30 min trip is a bit steep.

Agnieszka

First Runs
Mar 19, 2021
I guess I'm just used to prices overseas. I took many 30-minute taxi rides while living in Russia, and I paid about $5 at most. So, I find it hard to come back to Aus and pay $135. :)

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
In the conditions, yes, I don't feel too bad paying $135. But the price was agreed far in advance of knowing how bad of a journey it would be. $135 for what is supposed to be a 30 min trip is a bit steep.
But thats the point - risk/reward...

Fair weather payers are paying a premium so you can get a deal.

Imagine the surcharge if Uber was in town!

I don't know any where is the world that you would only pay $5 for 35km drive! (im guessing not even russia!)

Agnieszka

First Runs
Mar 19, 2021
But thats the point - risk/reward...

Fair weather payers are paying a premium so you can get a deal.

Imagine the surcharge if Uber was in town!

I don't know any where is the world that you would only pay $5 for 35km drive! (im guessing not even russia!)
Honestly, I've never seen prices anywhere else in the world for taxis like in Russia, although perhaps I was exaggerating ever so slightly. I should qualify that the prices were based on distance, so when I say $5, I mean going about 5km and getting stuck into a bad traffic jam. ;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

derider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
It's ridiculous and outrageous. Only in Australia does this kind of unconscionable gouging get defended by the regulars as somehow reasonable.

And it's not just transport. The other day, someone got jumped on for daring to suggest that $5,000 for a few days accomodation in Jindabyne is a bit too expensive. It's pure snobbery.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
It's ridiculous and outrageous. Only in Australia does this kind of unconscionable gouging get defended by the regulars as somehow reasonable.

And it's not just transport. The other day, someone got jumped on for daring to suggest that $5,000 for a few days accomodation in Jindabyne is a bit too expensive. It's pure snobbery.

Come on - that's not what was said at all.

I saw it the other way - I saw someone gloating at how lucky the got a deal months ago and the prices are now high. So lets start a thread complaining about high prices I didn't have to pay.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Honestly, I've never seen prices anywhere else in the world for taxis like in Russia, although perhaps I was exaggerating ever so slightly. I should qualify that the prices were based on distance, so when I say $5, I mean going about 5km and getting stuck into a bad traffic jam. ;)
Exactly - that was my point 30mins in city traffic with no snow is different to 30mins on country roads UP HILL in a blizzard.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
well its not a 30 minute trip for the driver. they have to get back to where they picked you up. So thats one hour. And cost of running the vehicle is about $35 at $0.50/km for 70km. So driver is getting $100/hr.

Reactions: LMB and Ozgirl

Agnieszka

First Runs
Mar 19, 2021
well its not a 30 minute trip for the driver. they have to get back to where they picked you up. So thats one hour. And cost of running the vehicle is about $35 at $0.50/km for 70km. So driver is getting $100/hr.
And that's a fortune!!! What kind of job in Australia do you make $100 per hour?

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
How many trips do you think they can make a day? Its not like every hour of every day of the working year can be filled with this. There is opportunity cost.

If its such a good deal for the driver - perhaps you could give it a go yourself.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
And that's a fortune!!! What kind of job in Australia do you make $100 per hour?
My ex used to bitch and moan about reasonable prices and then piss himself laughing telling me he got $250 for a 'call out' charge to flick a switch.

LOTS of people earn $100ph

Reactions: JG

derider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
Like I said, pure snobbery. You can't complain about the insane pricing to these people and expect to be understood. They firmly believe that only the rich and the well-to-do deserve to ski. Screw the unwashed masses earning under $100 an hour.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Like I said, pure snobbery. You just can't complain about the insane pricing to these people and expect to be understood. They firmly believe that only the rich and the well-to-do deserve to ski. Screw the unwashed masses earning under $100 an hour. They desperately want their little club to remain exclusive.
Right.... Yep I earn $500 an hour....

Stay the f outta Jindy!

• Haha
Reactions: JG

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Back in 1985 a guy was hitching one night from Jindi to thredbo, he was on a bus trip and left his wallet behind
offered me $20 and brought me a beer, good deal then.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Agnieszka

First Runs
Mar 19, 2021
Actually, as a final word on the matter, it’s cheaper than I remember. Yandex (Russia’s Uber) has prices listed at maximum 13 roubles per km (approx. 0.23 AUD). But as @derider says, no point trying to explain to you the insanity of these prices.

JG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 26, 2000
Sydney
Actually, as a final word on the matter, it’s cheaper than I remember. Yandex (Russia’s Uber) has prices listed at maximum 13 roubles per km (approx. 0.23 AUD). But as @derider says, no point trying to explain to you the insanity of these prices.
The best thing is that you made it to Thredbo, at a time that it is at its magical best! When there is a foot of snow in the village, there is no where like it in Aus... Enjoy!

Reactions: LMB and crackson

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
As General Westmoreland said "If you've got 'em by the balls their hearts and minds will follow". In other news, newbie discovers that snowsports are expensive.

Reactions: LMB, jrr and Ozgirl

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra

Thankfully, I have a direct bus to Canberra (Greyhound) on the way back, so I don't have to fork out another $135. A ridiculous price. He didn't even take me to the hotel. I had to lug my suitcase up about five flights of stairs from Thredbo Info Centre in the snow.

The 9th was nightmare conditions, given the conditions $135 was a bargain.

You could have hired a car and driven to Thredbo, but with the conditions even in a 4WD there was a good chance you'd end up off the road and have to tow the vehicle and then get a driver/taxi to take you to Thredbo AND catch a bus back.

As for comparing to $5 for a 30 minute drive in Russia - we do have minimum wages in Australia. You really want our drivers to be living in poverty earning $160/day income before expenses like maintenance and petrol working 16hrs a day just so you can have cheap private transport in an unsafe vehicle?

Bedeb

Early Days
Jul 22, 2021
Milton

I totally agree- and the bull about not giving refunds: bad weather shut down all lifts, but no refund. A replacement day is no use when you are leaving.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass