1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Getting skis to/from airport to the mountains

Discussion in 'Japan' started by JimH, Oct 28, 2019.

1. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

Hi Fourmites, this has probably been asked before but can't seem to find much using search.

What's the preferred method of getting large/bulky items round Japan ?

I was thinking of getting the bus directrly from Narita to Hakuba on the way there but coming back was intending to stay in Tokyo for one night and lugging skis round on public transport seems to be a "no-no".

Can somebody advise if it's feasible to use one of the luggage services (which one??) and pick them up at the airport the next morning or should I stay an extra day in Tokyo to be safe ?
    thanks
    Jim

2. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

There's plenty on here JimH.

48 hours minimum. Can often only be 24 hours but takkyubin won't take any luggage less than 48 hours out from your flight. So you'll have to take it.

3. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Hmmm....I can't say we really discuss luggage or transport options much on here. ROFL

M_G and fennekeg like this.
  4. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

And lugging skis around public transport is more of a perceived difficulty or inconvenience by some rather than an outright no-no.
    The issue can be more if you and your ski bag can comfortably fit into a typical salaryman-sized hotel room at the same time. I just leave my ski bag with reception for the length of my stay if the room is too small.

blowfin, LMB, M_G and 3 others like this.
  5. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yep!

Jim maybe try searching the word takkyubin

JimH likes this.
  6. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

Yeah I know about them, the issue is that I won't have 48 hours between leaving Hakuba and leaving Japan.

Think I've got it worked out as my brother can bring skis back (helps having a pilot in the family)

7. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure how hard you searched. Similar questions have been asked many times.
    But briefly as suggested luggage delivery isn't going to be an option for just a single night.
    But as also suggested taking skis on public transport is certainly not a "no-no" and generally not difficult at all with a bit of planning. On Shinkansens just make sure you are there a bit before time so you are at front of the line when the train arrives and can get a spot at near the end of the carriage. For just a single night in Tokyo the best option is to stay a hotel in Ueno near the Keisei or JR stations. Hotel New Ueno and Sutton Place are a couple of examples, there are plenty others. That way you can walk from the Shinkansen from the JR station, then next morning walk to the Keisei station to get the train to Narita. There is no problem at all with ski luggage on the Keisei Skyliner.
    The only real "no-no"s would be trying to use a subway line or a local JR line with luggage in peak hours. You avoid this by staying in Ueno.

#7 Heinz, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    skifree and Ozgirl like this.
  8. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I have seen all sorts on Japanese buses and trains. Dogs in boxes, chooks in boxes, folks hopping aboard in full mountain climbing kit wearing their mountaineering boots covered in ropes and ice axes and crampons and others in full ski gear in their boots holding skis.

#8 skifree, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  9. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

If you want least lugging gear on trains, then the answer is to catch a bus back from Hakuba to Shinjuku (Alpico). Then stay at Shinjuku overnight., and the next day, take the bus from Shinjuku to Narita Airport (Airport Limousine bus).

Another option is to catch the Azusa Express train direct from Hakuba to Shinjuku at 2.37pm once a day. It never seems to be full, so you can just park your gear on the train. Then take the bus from Shinjuku to Narita Airport.

I know for some reason people don't like the idea of buses, but with gear, it's the easiest way to lug it around, particularly if you have a lot of it.
    In fact, I NEVER catch the train to the airport(s), it's always buses. I still can't figure out why people lug lots of gear on the train from the airports, unless they have a JR pass.

#9 Sandy, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Annabuzzy and mannyk like this.
  10. Sandy

Oh, and tricks with traveling on the local Tokyo trains(JR/Subway/private rail with gear:
    - Miss the peak if possible. This generally goes from about 7.30am - 9.30am in the morning, and from around 5pm - 9pm in central Tokyo.
    - Go to the FAR ends of the trains, next to the driver or guard. You can stand with your gear against the driver's/guard's cabin, which is not in anyone's way. Put your ski/board bag in the corner nearest the door that is normally the exit side (although this can vary)
    - Never put ski / board bag on the overhead rack when it's a little busy.... more people will get on, and it's almost impossible to retrieve them quickly when you want to get off.

Hyst and skifree like this.
  11. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I got all excited when I heard you can get a bus to Tokyo station from Narita and at the right time is only a bit longer than the train..and for 1000yen BUT
    I read the fine print.. no ski bags, ect...:cry:. so with out ski bags its a option.

12. Sandy

Which buses have you looked at?

See FAQ..... it says surfboards up to 2m, and skis take up less room.
    https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/areas/detail/nrt/tcat_tokyo/for

13. mannyk

14. mannyk

15. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

There is always the trade off between cost and convenience. The Limousine bus service has been going forever and the price has hardly changed at all in the last 20-30 years. ie around Y3000. It goes to many major hotels and stations around Tokyo. The other looks to be a much newer budget service to couple of stations, perfect if you have little luggage.
    Personally though if staying overnight in Tokyo I've always preferred catching the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno - easy as and fast. Or if travelling onward same day by train it has been the Narita express to Tokyo.

Hyst and Tonester like this.
  16. mannyk

I agree there is a trade off, the cheaper price way well be why no over size luggage. The limousine bus does also say surf boards allowed depending on the day of travel.
    All good, we will use the NEX to Tokyo station then on to Yuzawa, we always stay in Narita the first night. So will be using the NEX 4,070 return offer, (14 days). We arrive on a Monday and leave 14 days later on a Monday.
    We used the Nagano snow shuttle last year to Shiga Kogan, which we found very handy with our luggage and was dropped at the door. The bus has its up side for sure.

sn0wbunny29 and skivet like this.
  17. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture

I agree with this.

one caveat is to get your hotel close to the bus/train interchange at Shinjuku. It can be quite a PITA lugging your full ski bag across multiple blocks in Tokyo foot traffic - taxis don’t have roof racks in Tokyo - at least not in my experience.

maybe some hotels do a pick up from Shinjuku, but I’m not aware if it.

anyway that caveat aside, which can be dealt with through prior planning, I do what Sandy says. So much easier with skis and a 9 year old in tow

18. mannyk

Im finding it difficult to use hyperdia eg.. Tokyo to Echigo-Yuzawa.. keeps saying incorrect info?? Any one else have issues?

19. Sandy

Check also, because the Limo Bus will stop at some hotels in Shinjuku.

20. Sandy

If you spell incorrectly, it will do that.

Type "Echig" and it will show Echigo-Yuzawa.

mannyk likes this.
  21. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture

I know they do that pick up to the airport, but I’m not aware they do that on the trip from Hakuba to Shinjuku - defer for your local knowledge though

22. mannyk

Got it to work, thanks.

23. mannyk

It didnt like me typing in the names.. used their selected name.. ta

24. mannyk

Looks like I will be traveling on the Nex from Narita. I see that the Nex goes to Omiya on the same ticket.
    What are the thoughts on doing that and Getting the shink from Omiya to Yuzawa, by passing Tokyo station and the need to get luggage up to the Shink gate? Theres little money saving but might save the hassle of Tokyo station?

25. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Heaps better idea.

mannyk likes this.
  26. mannyk

Looks like its only a few trains that go there and later in the day..:crap:

27. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Never had any hassles dragging 30kg board bag and a large roll bag thru Tokyo station except once when an elderly lady tripped over my board bag when she wasnt looking. Its really not that hard.

28. M_G

Highly recommend. I can sometimes just jag this train. When you get to Omiya it up to the concourse, across about 10 platforms and then down to the shink. Super easy. N'ex has free wifi too so I can catch up on emails, call a couple of people, double check schedules, etc.

29. Sandy

Limo bus is only to/from the airport.
    Alpico buses run Shinjuku to Nagano resorts

30. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

Are you getting/using the jr east tohoku or nagano niigata regional pass?? This would potentially allow you to use the nex and your trip to Echigo-yuzawa return. 5 days use out of 14, for ¥17,000-20,000 depending on which pass (couple ¥100 more/less if purchase in/out Japan). We got great value out of this pass for Naeba, and managed to include a trip to Sendai before leaving Japan. Our last few trips was ¥58000+ using one of these passes, so BIG saving for us.

31. mannyk

You have my attention, We are there 14 days, my sums are approx $200 each return.?? The Nagano pass is $230, be great if I had plans to explore a bit more but dont really have the time. Maybe next time.

32. mannyk

Hey mate, hope all is well.. Am I right that the Nex to Omiya is only late in the day?

33. M_G

Yes, good thanks Manfred.

There's only one. But it matches up well with the early evening flight arrivals from Oz. I always take that one if I can make it.

34. mannyk

Yeah I know, done it Im just greedy looking for the best option, Ive also got a wife and her and her ski bag, ect. But we could well just go through Tokyo station. Just need to look out for old ladies.

35. mannyk

That would be ideal.
    We like to spend to spend the night in Narita. Were not in rush. Getting To Naeba the next day seems like a easy day,, Looking forward to checking out the train station in Yuzawa and of course the area which is new to us.

36. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

Here is a link for the jr east Nagano Niigata pass, this one is cheapest and covers your area. https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_n/index.html
    Y
    ou can get them from JTB etc. in Australia, I used the Gold coast branch, but conveniently it is an electronic mail out, not like the nation wide one. You can also purchase them by clicking the links on the page above, though the exchange rate was worse than JTB. So it was better to buy from JTB. Check the service area

37. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

We do the same travelling with small kids. We use hotels that have free shuttle, as our Jetstar flights arrive late, and completing airport exit and eating, has made it that we never get to the JR office during opening hours at Narita. Also regional passes activate when you exchange them. So we return to Narita before opening, and it has not been to bad a wait to exchange the pass. We usually get into Echigo yuzawa around lunchtime.
    echigo yuzawa is not a big station, very easy to navigate. There are some restaurants inside it and others around. The sake tasting is easy to spot and in the station. Lockers are towards the east exit. There is also a ski rack that you can lock/leave skis near/on the way towards the lockers. The east exit is where the shuttle goes to Naeba (free for prince guests) you can find the timetable for this on their website. We usually catch a the free prince shuttle around 2pm, which put us there for 3pm check in. There are other options https://www.princehotels.com/naeba/map-direction/ listed here too. getting off the mountain we always catch the local first bus out from the day trip centre, as we leave early usually for further travels.

mannyk likes this.
  38. mannyk

Cheers for the info, Im in Sthport, so I will look for JTB on the GC. :thumbs:

39. mannyk

As I dont intend to do any other trips, looks like the pass is dearer..

40. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

My bad. It was japan snow travel by H.I.S on GC not JTB. So H.I.S.

mannyk likes this.
  41. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

Yeah looks like ¥1000-¥3000 difference depending on train options, which is very little. For us its a no-brainer as we ski for a week, travel for a week.

mannyk likes this.
  42. sn0wbunny29

sn0wbunny29 One of Us

Ohhhh, someone with the same blue ski bag! Just had to say!LOL

mannyk likes this.
  43. mannyk

In your situation the pass is perfect, something for me to look into on another trip.

Melskius likes this.
  44. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

There is some mis-information around about this. The "48 hour rule" myth seems to have grown legs.

Takyubin time required varies. I've sent stuff from both Iiyama (Kijimadaira office) and Yuzawa (Ishuichi) on a Friday night before cut off time to Narita, and it's been fine. That was more like 40 hours on both occasions, there's no hard and fast 48 hour rule, but you must ensure you get to the office before the cut off time on the day you want to send. It's 6:30 or 7:00pm from memory, depending in on if it's an agent (i.e. hotel or post office) or an actual Black cat depot. It's best to ask in advance.

i.e. If you're leaving Hakuba on a Friday evening, and flying out on a Sunday, it will be fine. All you have to do is ask the friendly staff when you go to drop your bag, if it's not within the mandated parameters they will tell you "no". Then you can throw your hands in the air and lament I guess, or just utilise your hotel's front desk, or some of the many storage lockers in Japan to make things a bit easier.

45. Sandy

If you send from a convenience store, they won't take it if it's less than 48 hours.

I've sent stuff at 4pm from various resorts in Nagano or Niigata, and it's sometimes arrived at my home, the following evening about 7pm... But not always.
    And it often depends if it's a big resort/area that has its own takkyubin depot. If it's out of the way, and/or midweek, then add another day...

If it's absolutely necessary to arrive in less than 48h, I'd be sending with 48h headroom, or carry it.

46. M_G

Well, when you own a lodge, send stuff all the time, and the local drivers won't take it if it's less than 48 hours, I'd say that's a fairly strong case. In my neck of the woods anyway.

#46 M_G, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Lucky Pete and mannyk like this.