Trip Report Gez & Bern go to Banff

japower

Hard Yards
Mar 12, 2018
I couldn't see anyone leaving their gear at the resort overnight, so not sure whether you can or not, although there are definitely lockers. Wasn't so bad taking it on the bus, you store the skis underneath. For one of our trips to Sunshine we had to hold onto our skis inside the bus though. We did Hakuba too a couple of years back, and if I recall, the buses were quite small? These buses are the great big ones, except the ones that go to Norquay.
Good to know. The inter-resort Hakuba buses weren't small, but they filled up fast and were packed like sardines. Holding skis while trying to balance in a crowded rickety bus is something I want to avoid. The Banff buses sound much better.

Reactions: Bpoos

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
Good to know. The inter-resort Hakuba buses weren't small, but they filled up fast and were packed like sardines. Holding skis while trying to balance in a crowded rickety bus is something I want to avoid. The Banff buses sound much better.
Everyone gets a seat:)

Reactions: japower

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
Yesterday had a great day walking around 2.5km each way across the frozen Lake Louise, and checking out the fancy Fairmont Hotel. Would be even more amazing in Summer when the water is that beautiful blue colour. Caught the local bus at CAD8 each way. Didn't try the ice skating but quite a few people did, and also were nordic skiing across the lake.
In the afternoon, visited Banff Upper hot springs utilising the free passes that came with our lift passes. Caught the local bus again, and purchased a day bus ticket that covers the local Banff area for $5. This ticket can also be used to visit the Gondola and other areas. Pool was nice and hot, (41 degrees), and we had beautiful views of the mountains while sitting in the pool outside. Pool is a bit like an outdoor swimming pool, but hot! Plenty of people there but plenty of room for everyone at the time that we went. You are required to remove shoes soon after entering the building, but the floor is HEATED:thumbs: Change facilities are excellent, very clean and plenty of space. There are even bather dryers in the changerooms if you want to use them!

Today had probably our most fun ski day at Lake Louise - they had 15cm of snow overnight! Snow was delicious, although there were big lift queues due to it being Saturday. This is the only day we made the mistake of having lunch at lunchtime - will not be doing that again! Queue for gondola was worst early morning and just after lunch, but the queue for the adjacent chairlift was much better if you want to give up your creature comforts! Will admit that we did cheat just once by entering the gondola queue as singles to avoid waiting time:oops: Definitely a lot more crowded than during the week, but we still got plenty of skiing time in.

brett gordon

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 26, 2014
Brisbane
If you're thinking about skiing tomorrow, consider Lake Louise again. Sunshine hosting Alberta Alpine youth comps. Freestyle and racing on tomorrow. I expect it will be busy.

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
Your favourite of the Big3? We'll be headed to Banff for the first time next month. With only 4 days to ski, I was planning 3 days in LL and 1 day in Norquay. I left out Sunshine because I read that one had to first ride a gondola to get from the base to the village, from which to then access the mountain. It just seems like a waste of precious time that I'd rather spend on skiing. And LL is supposed to be huge with amazing scenery, hence the 3 days. Norquay because it's the closest to Banff (again, to maximize ski time) But seeing your statement above, I'm having second thoughts.
True about the gondola time but the long bus ride out to LL and back again chews up even more time so it evens out.

Reactions: japower and Bpoos

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
We’re skiing Lake Louise tomorrow. Just arrived at the Post Hotel for eight days.

will try to get to Banff during the week

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
It snowed nearly all day again today - from talking to others, Sunshine seems to get more snow than Lake Louise. We also found the quality of the snow is fresher and powderier. It was very cold today though - around -9 to -11ish at times at the top but i heard someone say 'feels like' was around -15. Wind was light, but enough for us to seek out some hand and toe warmers! Toe warmers were no good for me - it felt like you had two blobs sitting under your foot in the boot and they weren't even that warm so they came out fairly quickly. Hand warmers weren't too bad, but for us the best was to find some warmth for a half hour or so and then back into it!

Not even close to a cold day at LL. They regularly see -30 and worse. Ask me how I know...

Reactions: Bpoos and whether

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
Had our last skiing day today - had initially intended to go to Lake Louise due to the kids ski event on at Sunshine, but the guy a the hotel front desk suggested we steer clear due to forecast high winds at Lake Louise, so we went for Sunshine instead. Crowds were not too bad, with no obvious impact of the ski event until after lunch when heaps of kids began to appear!
Was still a good day though, although very cold, prob due to a wind chill factor.
Heading back home tomorrow via bus from Banff to Calgary and then on to LAX for changeover.
What a beautiful place Banff and surrounds is, and what a wonderful time we had!

Shoey

Hard Yards
Aug 12, 2018
Sydney
Had our last skiing day today - had initially intended to go to Lake Louise due to the kids ski event on at Sunshine, but the guy a the hotel front desk suggested we steer clear due to forecast high winds at Lake Louise, so we went for Sunshine instead. Crowds were not too bad, with no obvious impact of the ski event until after lunch when heaps of kids began to appear!
Was still a good day though, although very cold, prob due to a wind chill factor.
Heading back home tomorrow via bus from Banff to Calgary and then on to LAX for changeover.
What a beautiful place Banff and surrounds is, and what a wonderful time we had!

Awesome - been following your posts.

I might cross you on the road tomorrow! I land in Calgary at 8:30am and then picking up my rental car. Although from your post it seems like the bus is very efficient and I am still contemplating whether I need the car or not!

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
Awesome - been following your posts.

I might cross you on the road tomorrow! I land in Calgary at 8:30am and then picking up my rental car. Although from your post it seems like the bus is very efficient and I am still contemplating whether I need the car or not!
Hope you have an amazing trip! Brewsters bus from airport, shuttle buses to ski resorts and Roam buses have all been great but horses for courses!

Reactions: Shoey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass