1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Gez & Bern go to Banff

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Bpoos, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Whoops - did i do it wrong?:confused:

chicski likes this.
  2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve rarely worn them, but I can’t imagine putting them under my feet LOL

Bpoos likes this.
  3. japower

japower Hard Yards

Good to know. The inter-resort Hakuba buses weren't small, but they filled up fast and were packed like sardines. Holding skis while trying to balance in a crowded rickety bus is something I want to avoid. The Banff buses sound much better.

Bpoos likes this.
  4. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Everyone gets a seat:)

japower likes this.
  5. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Yesterday had a great day walking around 2.5km each way across the frozen Lake Louise, and checking out the fancy Fairmont Hotel. Would be even more amazing in Summer when the water is that beautiful blue colour. Caught the local bus at CAD8 each way. Didn't try the ice skating but quite a few people did, and also were nordic skiing across the lake.
    In the afternoon, visited Banff Upper hot springs utilising the free passes that came with our lift passes. Caught the local bus again, and purchased a day bus ticket that covers the local Banff area for $5. This ticket can also be used to visit the Gondola and other areas. Pool was nice and hot, (41 degrees), and we had beautiful views of the mountains while sitting in the pool outside. Pool is a bit like an outdoor swimming pool, but hot! Plenty of people there but plenty of room for everyone at the time that we went. You are required to remove shoes soon after entering the building, but the floor is HEATED:thumbs: Change facilities are excellent, very clean and plenty of space. There are even bather dryers in the changerooms if you want to use them!

Today had probably our most fun ski day at Lake Louise - they had 15cm of snow overnight! Snow was delicious, although there were big lift queues due to it being Saturday. This is the only day we made the mistake of having lunch at lunchtime - will not be doing that again! Queue for gondola was worst early morning and just after lunch, but the queue for the adjacent chairlift was much better if you want to give up your creature comforts! Will admit that we did cheat just once by entering the gondola queue as singles to avoid waiting time:oops: Definitely a lot more crowded than during the week, but we still got plenty of skiing time in.

Sage Oya, Charlie and Lady Penelope like this.
  6. brett gordon

brett gordon Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

If you're thinking about skiing tomorrow, consider Lake Louise again. Sunshine hosting Alberta Alpine youth comps. Freestyle and racing on tomorrow. I expect it will be busy.

Bpoos likes this.
  7. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Thanks for the heads up!

8. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

True about the gondola time but the long bus ride out to LL and back again chews up even more time so it evens out.

japower and Bpoos like this.
  9. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We’re skiing Lake Louise tomorrow. Just arrived at the Post Hotel for eight days.

will try to get to Banff during the week

Bpoos likes this.
  10. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Not even close to a cold day at LL. They regularly see -30 and worse. Ask me how I know...

Bpoos and whether like this.
  11. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

ok, how do you knowLOL
    I'll admit to being a little bit precious - I reckon my limit is about -15!

sly_karma likes this.
  12. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Had our last skiing day today - had initially intended to go to Lake Louise due to the kids ski event on at Sunshine, but the guy a the hotel front desk suggested we steer clear due to forecast high winds at Lake Louise, so we went for Sunshine instead. Crowds were not too bad, with no obvious impact of the ski event until after lunch when heaps of kids began to appear!
    Was still a good day though, although very cold, prob due to a wind chill factor.
    Heading back home tomorrow via bus from Banff to Calgary and then on to LAX for changeover.
    What a beautiful place Banff and surrounds is, and what a wonderful time we had!

13. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

Awesome - been following your posts.

I might cross you on the road tomorrow! I land in Calgary at 8:30am and then picking up my rental car. Although from your post it seems like the bus is very efficient and I am still contemplating whether I need the car or not!

14. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Hope you have an amazing trip! Brewsters bus from airport, shuttle buses to ski resorts and Roam buses have all been great but horses for courses!

Shoey likes this.