Bushfire Gippsland, NE Victoria & Alpine Fires

Discussion in 'Systems & Events' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Dec 28, 2019.

1. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Look I don’t know you and am trying to be calm. But you could probably reduce the smug a tad. It’s again been a tough day. I also would personally avoid the press-frenzy mega fire nomenclature. It’s a dumb description for simple people. There is still much weather and much danger. I haven’t seen anyone argue otherwise

2. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

I think he’s saying it’s been an incredibly terrible day :( and no one should be complacent. We’re barely half way there.

3. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for the joint paraphrase. :(

4. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Man from Snowy River Festival ;) ,be there. Also Tumbafest at Tumbarumba in February ,again be there. Maybe not for os tourism but domestic tourism ,yes. This year more than other years the bush needs the city folk to discover what is beyond the city limits ,district shows as well ,get out there to the towns ,look around ,spend a dollar. This weekend my family are taking our camp trailers to Walwa and Colac Colac (for those that dont know its pronounced clack clack) for the long weekend. Walwa is 10 minutes away and Colac Colac maybe 30 minutes. Its about putting cash in the hands of those that need it. We got lucky this time ,a lot around us didnt.

5. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Agree. The reality is, these three people (and others) flew halfway ‘round the world, away from their friends and families. They spent long, hot days bouncing around flying at low levels doing demanding, fatiguing, technical work to help us. Ok, they got paid for it, but they still did it. I’m really thankful and so tremendously sorry it ended this way for these three people - RIP.

Ubiquitous Steve, Boodwah, GS and 3 others like this.
  6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

For those who don't know the area
    Colac colac caravan park is a lovely spot.
    Jingellic pub (across the river from walwa) too

Vicroads are saying that there are road closures for non residents still. So maybe not this weekend, but when the roads open. Murray river rd from hume weir to Towong is a great drive - even better on 2 wheels. There's even a view of the main range

Boodwah and ecowain like this.
  7. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We had 85mm over the three events and there is considerable confidence that our fire is now done although still listed as not yet under control. Crews can't really get into it to black out any trees still smouldering. It could be weeks before they are all accounted for. If we can get to the end of Feb without another starting then we should make it through the season but yet to see what sort of Autumn we will have. Our summer has been quite mild compared to last year.
    I don't listen to media and will not be spoon fed information but those who have commented above are right. Still a long fire season to go and lots of active fires which were slowed with the rain but starting to build power again. If anything around us does start up again then we have been told it will be dealt with quickly.

8. Kelpieboy

Yeah there are some local only deviations atm but still the message is the same ,there are places north and south and some in Vic that are now wanting business. Take a drive ,get out there but be mindful of the locals while your there though.

If and when you get out ,if your coming up the Murray then you must stop at the Southern Cloud Lookout at Tooma ,right now you will see some of the devastation these fires are causing but if you go during winter you will see one of the best views of the Western Fall ,simply fantastic.

currawong likes this.
  9. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I can't speak for everyone, but the rain has given me and those I know the confidence that we are safe for the next 3 - 4 weeks or so, given that we're just entering our fire season. I suspect the same can be said for most places west of the current fires in Vic.

WarrandyteWX likes this.
  10. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Half way where?

11. Vermillion

I really dont see anything on the horizon that is going to dry out the interior of the country and/or cause a heating event to drive significant areas of 40C temperatures into the SE for a week or 2 which is what would be needed to evapourate the moisture that's fallen and re-dry the landscape to start a significant large-scale fire. Do you see anything in any model that contradicts that? Yes, we will move away from the heavier rain we've seen in the past 2 weeks to some more 'settled' weather with less chances of storms for the SE, but the monsoon is still kicking and the associated cloud cover over parts of the NT and WA will keep those temps down. It looks like the monsoon trough will again dip down further south into SW WA next week, which will further help keep that part of the country from forming a hot box that will get blown across to us at some point. Happy to be shown any evidence from a model or otherwise that suggests differently though.

12. WarrandyteWX

WarrandyteWX One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Temps on the increase +170 hours out, but not coupled with high winds.
    Inland lows forecast for same period with flooding rains across NT, W QLD and Pastoral SA.
    No signifcant frontal activity that would see a tightening in pressure, thus increase in winds.
    Very warm to hot, yes, but nothing to significant at this stage.

Vermillion likes this.
  13. Vermillion

Looking like a bit of 38-40C in the interior with a couple of hotter patches in nice locations like Marble Bar and Port Headland, but there's the potential for a front to hit SW WA and depending on how deep the monsoon trough is at that time, link up as it drives itself across the interior. But at 196+ out there's a long way to go yet.

WarrandyteWX likes this.
  14. WarrandyteWX

WarrandyteWX One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Latest Fire Weather Briefing from the State Control Centre.

Claude Cat likes this.
  15. teckel

Totally agree with you - that's why I said we're probably safe until the end of Feb. Depending on what happens in late Feb early March will dictate whether that becomes an issue, but I suspect not. But the monsoon breaking is very good news.Time to relax now, but not too much :)

Complacency is not good. December 2008 we had cool weather and very good rainfall. I remember clearly saying after Xmas 2008 that we would be good - at least until the end of Jan. And we were. Then first week of Feb was over 40 every day. Then BS. Complacency is not good.

16. Wally

Wally One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Hey @Xplora or anyone else - why is the road between Omeo and Mitta Mitta still closed??

17. teckel

ABC radio this morning was saying that the GAR and Murray Valley Hwy were open for the long weekend which means you can get from Mitta Mitta to Omeo via Kiewa & Mt Beauty.

18. Wally

Not according to Vicroads. Omeo Valley Hwy between Omeo and Mitta Mitta still closed.

19. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yep that bit to Mitta ain't on the mvh or gar iirc

20. Xplora

Mt. Beauty to Omeo Hwy still closed with a locked gate. GAR may open but then there is a road block at Omeo Valley. You can divert over the Knocker track and the road block has not been manned anyway. As to why the Omeo Hwy is still closed. Who knows. The fire is still listed as not under control and just noticed on FIRMS site that a new hotspot has appeared. Crews have not been able to get into the fire area since the rain but it will dry out enough within a couple of days. Permits to get here are easier from the Bairnsdale DELWP and if you are re-supplying locals then permits seem to be easy enough from Wodonga or Bairnsdale. Well Wodonga have kicked up some stink but have capitulated. There is still no camping in the park. A bit of aircraft activity today but only a look see. Let's see if they swing into gear now and deal with this hotspot. May be better to just go up there and do it ourselves.

The Plowking and Wally like this.
  21. Wally

Was hoping to get up to the Mitta this weekend. Looks like we'll hangout in Bairnsdale/Paynesville now.

22. teckel

Sorry, should have said Bright instead of Mt Beauty.

23. Xplora

Omeo Hwy appears now to be open. BHP road should remain closed until all the dangerous trees are sorted. Glen Wills retreat had a booking for 10 this weekend and could not get them in so Saturday morning the road opens. A bit late for those wanting to drive 5 hours and have a long weekend.

The Plowking and currawong like this.
  24. teckel

Even if they had been advised it would be re-opened :(

25. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Main problem would be tall trees falling unpredictably due to weakened burnt bases.
    Last year up behind our place there were trees smoldering semi underground for days especially if they were already dead before the fire .
    After 2009 I think along the Falls Creek road they had a saw hanging from a helicopter cutting dangerous trees.

26. Kelpieboy

Got my sheep back on land today and took a little look around. Observations .............. Talmalmo/Green Valley fire was moving very fast in the early days and spotted forward (lots of patchwork terrain ) with a lot of trees with not a lot of serious damage. Fires heading from Walwa through Cudgewa and into the western part of Corryong were intense and almost unstoppable -a lot of effort went into saving the petrol station at south end of Corryong at the expense of the adjoining caravan park ,its gone. This fire went through the other side of the valley opposite(south) of my place and still burns near Geehi and Pilot Lookout.
    East Ournie Creek fire was a lot slower moving to start with but had periods of swift movement ,this can easily be seen by the way the trees have been burnt. This fire crossed the Tooma Road on a 10 km front about 10 km south of Tumbarumba. This fire was to the north of my place and had joined up with the Dunns Rd fire and swept up to destroy Mt Selwyn and Cabramurra ,still burning north of Adaminaby.

DSCN2307.JPG DSCN2308.JPG DSCN2309.JPG DSCN2311.JPG DSCN2313.JPG DSCN2314.JPG DSCN2315.JPG DSCN2316.JPG DSCN2318.JPG DSCN2321.JPG DSCN2324.JPG DSCN2326.JPG DSCN2328.JPG DSCN2339.JPG DSCN2344.JPG DSCN2356.JPG DSCN2357.JPG DSCN2358.JPG DSCN2359.JPG

Attached Files:

27. teckel

If most of those photos were taken on your property, it looks as though it got awfully close! Any of your fences burnt?

28. Kelpieboy

Some where taken from my property looking at the path of the 2 fires mentioned ,other photos are taken near Corryong looking towards Cudgewa and Walwa while others are from near my old mans place between Tooma and Tumbarumba. All my and my old mans properties suffered was a bit of minor grass burn with a few windbreak trees thrown in near the the ridge lines ,fences -all but 1 intact and that only had minor damage. No building or stock fixture damage on either property. Most of my neighbors on the northern side of the Murray fared similarly. Those south of the Murray had a bit more damage but again not much of a serious nature , a couple of hay sheds is all. We are on River Road and it has natural fire defences which the RFS took advantage of and used it as an anchor point to maneuver the fire on the far side of the valley around Walwa and Cudgewa. We were saved from the East Ournie Creek fire (which was the one that had me seriously worried) only by the vagaries of the winds. Local RFS guys told me on Thursday night over a few well earnt frothies supplied by yours truly that several times the fire made a run towards my place from the Bogandyera Reserve and each time it started to cross the valley a wind would spring up at the critical moment and divert it away. Fire never got close to my old mans place besides ember attacks spotting grass fires,main fire maybe 2-3 kms away at its closest.

29. teckel

Wonderful news! Good thing you evacuated :thumbs: And lucky sheep to have you as their owner.
    I think proximity to the river probably helped you too. I've seen this in the past. I think it must be the slightly raised humidity from the water that is partly the factor in such cases.

Kelpieboy and currawong like this.
  30. Kelpieboy

As an aside after talking to the local RFS guys the 2 fires at Geehi and Pilot Lookout are at the moment being controlled but are still dangerous should conditions turn again. Being controlled means the RFS can sort of decide where the fire cannot go easily while attacking its sides and rear but at this stage they cannot stop it from existing. I will be interested to go into the Western Fall after the fires are out ,maybe sometime in Autumn is the estimation unless of course we get some good rain. April is usually wet so maybe then.

cold wombat likes this.
  31. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Great to see you back with everything pretty much intact:)

I was planning to spend some time down there late April/May. My plan was to visit Corryong, Tumba and Khancobhan before heading up to Jindy. How are the towns looking? I worry that even those businesses that survived with buildings intact might not last due to $$$ or lack of:(

Kelpieboy likes this.
  32. Kelpieboy

Plenty of people flooded into the area over the long weekend ,main street of Corryong was packed with people ,Colac Colac van park was almost full as was Walwa and Jingellic camping areas and pubs.Lots out for the weekend from Albury ,Wodonga ,Wagga Wagga and most of the south east I guess.
    Most of the towns have survived pretty well to be fair ,much better than I feared might be the case. Places like Cudgewa took some damage but mostly on the outskirts. The RFS /CFA did a crack job protecting towns and infrastructure in the western slopes /north east area ,I doff my hat to them anyday. No doubt the local businesses took a hit dollar wise and could always do with a help. Over the past few days I have spent a bit of money I might not have otherwise done ,those around me have done similar. I bought a Mitsi Triton (2nd hand but very low kms) and then replaced the tyres on it although they were pretty new. I had the vehicle serviced/tuned as well. We bought up our winter dog food stock months earlier than necessary and purchased a stack of stuff that will go straight to Dunroamin Animal Rescue at Walwa purely as a donation. The wife bought a new fridge ,stove ,tv and a few other household items so we could donate our old items to those in need. We havent cooked a meal at home since we got back just to get some money to local eateries. I am spreading my fuel purchases around to different towns as well. Bought my locals all parks pass yesterday even though the current one doesnt expire till May. Many of us are doing the same if possible.
    Mind you Robbo every visitor to the area is always welcome.

33. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Tambo river on the way home this evening. It is not in great condition.

34. Vandans

Vandans Hard Yards

And add Melbourne

35. Big_Red_60

Big_Red_60 One of Us

Yeah, both Tambo and Nicholson Rivers pretty feral at the moment. And it's all flowing into the Gippsland Lakes now.

cold wombat and Claude Cat like this.
  36. Vermillion

As much as it sucks now, this is part of the cycle and the carbon and other compounds flushed into the Gippsland lakes will give it a bunch of nutrients into the future. And maybe some algae.

cold wombat likes this.
  37. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'd say the opposite really. Stop carrying on as if this is still a thing with the exception of the relatively small areas being affected. It sucks for the people directly affected. But in the scheme of things 2000 houses is not that big a deal and most of us don't need to carry on like we are part of the events - we are just spectators fixed on the newstainment aspects of the fires.

Killing tourism. Fires Near Me finally got all hose north coast fires off the map. You would hardly know the place had been burnt if sticking to the usual tourist places north of Sydney. Bushand recovering in burnt areas.

People are still not travelling to places like Mudgee because FNM shows massive area of fire and people think its still highly active when looking at FNM online. I drove through some of the marked areas a month ago and there was no sign of fire then so would be well and truely sorted by now.

Adaminaby Angler and Vermillion like this.
  38. Vermillion

It's interesting the 2 types of people that either think the fires are out because there's no more smoke/haze near them and it rained a bit, or those carrying on that the disaster is just beginning etc. I dont know this Coorey guy but seems he's based in ACT region as a journo. I dunno, but I reckon it would be a better idea just to report on what's happening without sensationalizing it, something he seems to be quite keen on looking at some of his tweets. But I guess that dont sell many papers or clicks, right.

Adaminaby Angler and Snow Blowey like this.
  39. Vandans

Vandans Hard Yards

Orroral Valley fire yesterday afternoon in Namadgi National Park home of unique wildlife and free from wild horses.it is so tragic that is destroying so much habitat.

40. Vandans

Vandans Hard Yards

He is spot on he brought his family back from the South Coast during the emergency there and reported on a total lack of control by police on the Brown Mountain road. And as reported yesterday there is no safe level for PM2.5 so it is quite understand to expect people to stay away from smoke. In summer we welcome the evening easterly here in the ACT but are unable to open windows due to the smoke blowing in from South Coast, East Gipsland and now locally. It has been like this for 2 months. So to say I am a bit pissed off is understating it. It is not over and will require steady rain not cloud bursts that do more harm than good

dawooduck and cold wombat like this.
  41. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Fire = destruction is a human construct. Fire just changes the landscape temporarily.

Do you get out much?

Big_Red_60 likes this.
  42. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Mate, you are on your Pat Malone talking down the social and community aspects of the impact on the South Coast Far South Coast and East Gippsland from this summer's fires. The place is munted. Businesses are closing forever, during the peak period. Places are shutting up shop for weekdays to save funds as there are no customers. Businesses losing over $500,000 in turnover since mid-Dec.

43. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, but nah, not quite. Some of these fires are consequential and will result in landscape level and ecotype changes e.g. the Warm Temperate Rainforest's in Errinundra that burnt and the Rainforests of Northern NSW. Also, Snowgums can't withstand multiple burn in this frequency (as far as I understand)

44. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This.
    Places/businesses that were only holding on prior to fires now going under.
    DP pub latest casualty.

45. Tanuki

Shite, has it closed?

currawong likes this.
  46. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Keystone species like E. delegatensis in areas of sub-alpine Vic.

47. Tanuki

Yep, sadly the Alpine Ash is cooked.

48. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

presumably some areas will be replanted.
    not the same but better than not

49. Vermillion

Should they be replanted?

50. Tanuki

After the 2006 fires they did a huge reseeding program. The ash bed should be suitable.

currawong likes this.