Bushfire Gippsland, NE Victoria & Alpine Fires

Discussion in 'Systems & Events' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Managed to speak with one of my contacts and this is not gospel but there is a hope that BHP will be open on or before the Labor day long weekend BUT don't get your hopes up and even if it is there will probably be road closures due to the Scody event. I am sure Falls Creek want Scody to go ahead and there will be a big push. What you can take to the bank is the park is actually closed for aerial deer control and the dangerous trees have been removed. This includes the greater ANP all the way to the snowy and down south to Howitt etc.
    The river is up a bit and a little cloudy but that should clear by tomorrow unless there is more rain. Still managed 3 fish in an hour session but no size. Had better luck in shallower areas where visibility was good. Lots of other hits but no hook ups.

2. Xplora

Why? Is there something new? Do you know anymore about this? Can't see any active fires in that area but they could be targeting some hotspots that have been picked up on the thermal image which are not picked up by satellites.

3. Vandans

Vandans Hard Yards

Logs and trees burn slowly inside for weeks try putting out a camp fire with water

4. Xplora

These are not usually put out with aircraft unless access is difficult and even then, as you say, it would be hard to do. That's why I asked if there is something more that I am not seeing. Aircraft could be dropping retardant.

5. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

I'm curious about this comment also. What's 'a lot'?
    From the NSW side, there are a few aircraft in the general snowys area, AFAIK they are doing recon including FLIR, finding any issues and tasking crews. From the Vic side, the state air desk site doesn't show many active aircraft.

6. Xplora

These were my thoughts exactly but I don't like dumping on a newbie and thought I would give him a chance to clarify. The way the post read suggested some inside knowledge but seems not. Aircraft movements are easily tracked.

7. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Agree and why I was asking. Could be some good intel

8. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Drove from DP to Melbourne via omeo / gippsland today. The extent of the fire damage is quite remarkable, burnt land all the way

However, I am optimistic about the ability of the bush to recover; because of the amount of unburnt land

There was limited property damage that I could see....only between bruthen and bairnsdale. It was tragic to see property totally destroyed; along side the princes highway of all places. Seeing it in real life cuts alot deeper, with some wiped out and only 100m away, no damage at all. It is quite surreal - the fire 'lottery' - as well as the distinct lines where it instantly changes from charred to lush landscape

I would also like to point out that i am not dismissing the anguish, devastation and all of those things experienced by the people in the area directly affected by the fires. This commentary is based on how it affected the natural landscape

I am no expert, so i could be wrong

Some areas, the savage intensity of the fires was clear, with landscapes completely wiped out. The mountains south of DP, the BHP in the distance and some areas in the tambo valley were confronting

However, many (but most definitely not all) areas between swifts creek to bruthen looked like the fire had come through quickly and not burnt too hot, with crowns of trees still green and lots of fresh growth sprouting from charred trunks and the forest floor. I suspect this is due to the bruthen / ensay area being in a rain shadow, with limited forest floor vegetation and rocky dry ground?

I too was suspecting to see more damage between DP and omeo, still lots of untouched bush

The tambo river was not looking healthy, lots of sludge on the sides of the river, and dirty water both there and the other gippsland rivers flowing under the princes highway

Props to the road and forest crews who have done and are continuing to do an amazing job in getting the roads back open and opening up the area to locals and tourists alike. Best wishes to them to stay safe, in what is dangerous work

A couple of pics from somewhere between tambo crossing and bruthen

20200217_150520.jpg 20200217_215912.jpg

#1758 hongomania, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  9. Ultrasteez

Ultrasteez A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas when the Elliot Way might be open. Im headed to Eucumbene in early april and wondering if ill be able to head up via Tumbarumba or have to go up via Tumut.

10. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Alpine way from Khancoban to thredbo opened today. There was no forewarning or information to say it was going to open. I think that would be the number one priority, given Khancoban has been virtually isolated for so long, with no tourist traffic. Live traffic still has the roads closed from Snowy mountains Highway to Cabramurra, Paddy's river and Khancoban "closed until further notice". I imagine there would be a lot of work to do to clear those and make them safe. Also probably want to keep people away from Cabramurra at the moment. I would expect access from Snowy mountains highway to Cabramurra to open first, then Elliot way, then Tooma rd. However, just speculating. In honesty I think we may not see Tooma rd Cabramurra to Khancoban open until after winter.

Ultrasteez, ecowain and currawong like this.
  11. Xplora

The push is to get Bogong HP road open by this weekend. Lots of road damage after the fire from falling trees and machinery.

12. Big_Red_60

Big_Red_60 One of Us

From ABC Gippsland facebook page:
    ‼️FIRES CONTAINED ‼️

After 91 days of bushfire activity, fires that affected communities and areas around Wulgumerang, Gelantipy, W Tree, Buchan, Wairewa, Bruthen, Sarsfield, and the Tambo Valley have been declared contained.

“After a very early start to the fire season, it is fantastic to be able to advise many of the communities that have been impacted that we are not expecting any further spread of these fires," says Incident Controller at Bairnsdale, Brett Mitchell.

“Over the past three months, our crews and support staff have worked extremely hard to achieve this important milestone, and they cannot be thanked enough for their dedication and hard work.

“Residents will continue to see firefighters working in the fire areas removing hazardous trees and undertaking rehabilitation work, particularly around parks and forest tracks.

DELWP Gippsland says there are still areas that firefighters have not been able to access due steep and inaccessible terrain. So, there may still be some hot spots with active fire within the containment lines. Crews will continue to extinguish identified hot spots and people may still see smoke occasionally.

Over the past couple of weeks, areas around Omeo, Anglers Rest, Cobungra, Bindi, Hotham Heights, Glen Valley, Benambra, Swifts Creek, Omeo, Ensay, Tongio, the Blue Rag Range, Dargo and Tabberabbera, have also been declared contained.

The recent wet weather has helped in areas of far east Gippsland allowing crews to attack any identified hot spots with direct fire suppression.

“Base camps that were established at Swan Reach, Cann River and Benambra have now been dismantled.

“This is a great sign that the fire activity has decreased significantly and that many of our directly affected communities can begin their journey to recovery,” said Mr Mitchell.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

13. Xplora

Not understating the work done by the fire crews but if not for the weather change, they would still be going.

14. Tanuki

Tanuki Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Anyone seen this yet?

15. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It's nice to praise the fire crews, but if we can somehow bribe the IOD and MJO to be favourbale for us then i'm putting my eggs in that basket.

The Plowking likes this.
  16. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

omeo hwy/ GAR?

17. Wally

Wally One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Between Bruthen and Omeo somewhere

18. currawong

certainly looked like that area

19. Tanuki

Tanuki Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, above the Tambo River.

20. Big_Red_60

Big_Red_60 One of Us

Heading between Wattle Circle and Ensay.

currawong and Wally like this.
  21. Xplora

Chaeron, The Plowking and Wally like this.
  22. Wally

@Xplora have the camping restrictions along the Mitta been lifted too?

Chaeron likes this.
  23. currawong

a summary of BHP area here

Areas that are now OPEN in this precinct include:
    • Falls Creek Alpine Resort
    • Mount Bogong
    • Wallace’s Hut, Cope Hut, Blairs Hut, Tawonga Huts, Edmondson Hut, Rovers Chalet
    • The Alpine Walking Track across Mount Bogong and the Bogong High Plains to Mount Hotham
    • Cope West Aqueduct and Cope East Aqueduct
    • Langford West Aqueduct
    • Langford West Campground
    • Rocky Valley Storage
    • Pretty Valley Pondage
    • The Jaithmathangs
    • The Fainters
    • Heathy Spur
    • Mount Cope
    • Mount Bundara
    • Mount Jim
    • Mount Spione Kopje

Please note, the Bogong High Plains Road is open between Falls Creek and the Omeo Highway however, the park remains closed on either side of the road between Langford West Campground and the Omeo Highway.

Areas that remain CLOSED in this precinct include:
    • Kelly Hut, Fitzgerald Hut, Johnson’s Hut
    • Mount Nelse
    • Langford East Aqueduct
    • Ryder’s Yards
    • Kelly’s Track
    • The Lanes
    • Track 107

On Monday 24 February an aerial shooting program will continue through the closed areas, so it is critical that these areas remain free of people throughout next week.

Please note the Alpine National Park adjacent to the road between Langford West Campground and the Omeo Highway will remain closed to enable the shooting operation to be undertaken safely.

24. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I assume that means Raspberry Hill and Buckety Plains campgrounds are out of action for the moment? Do you know if they suffered any fire damage?

25. currawong

sorry, no idea but I hope not. both are great spots

Chaeron and Onlybackscratchers like this.
  26. Xplora

People are camping and ignoring the signs which are still in place. Big River is not part of the National Park, it is Heritage area but there is a sign. Parks Vic ranger from Mt. Beauty drove past yesterday and did not kick anyone out. It is only closed now because of the aerial shooting and I would see along the highway pretty safe and I am sure the local PV guys are good with it.

The Plowking likes this.
  27. currawong

Had to go to Falls today so I took the chance to drive across BHP as far as Trapyard Gap. My comments are only about what I could see from the road.

Compared to 2003 the BHP have escaped lightly. There is no damage visible from the road till about Strawberry Saddle. From there to Buckety Plain there are burnt bits both sides of the road but predominantly on the south side. Looks like the rd may have been a containment line The edge of Raspberry Hill camping ground is burnt but the dunny, picnic table and a large expanse of grass look ok. The entrance to Buckety Plain camping ground looks ok, so hopefully that applies to the camping ground too, and track to Faithfuls. there is a bit of burnt ground on the ege of buckety plain itself but for the most part it looks good.

From Buckety Plain onwards it's a different story though with both sides of the road burnt and lots of trees felled. The armco barrier near Trapyard is badly damaged from falling trees. Don't know how McNamara's hut survived - probably a mix of hard work and good luck. That area is pretty bad.

I didn't have time, or much desire, to keep going to the omeo hwy. guessing it would be bad for quite a way

28. Wally

currawong likes this.
  29. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

30. Big_Red_60

Big_Red_60 One of Us

Well, with all fires in East Gippsland now declared contained, time to share a few before and after pics (30/12 and 27/02). What a difference 2 months and 200mm of rain makes.
    Also, a big thanks to all on this forum, in particular @DiscoStuAU and @WarrandyteWX for your support, especially during the peak of the fires. We were fortunate with wind change, thoughts for those who weren't.

31. WarrandyteWX

WarrandyteWX One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So pleased @Big_Red_60... Really keen to head back down there over the Easter holidays.

Big_Red_60 likes this.