1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Goggle help - prescription

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by elSpike, Nov 14, 2018.

1. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Team,
    I'm in the market for some new goggles.
    Current: I have a pair of cheap Bolle OTG ones I got off Amazon four years ago that are deteriorating. They are ok. But have problems with my glasses and pressure points and often end up skewing my glasses which I can't fix till I get to a lift. Ski pretty much 2 trips to Japan each season and 1 to NZ or AUS. A US West Coast weekend if work travel allows.

Complications: I live in Singapore. There is literally nowhere that sells a range of goggles. I really love my Lucky Bums basic helmet.

Thoughts: I'm leaning toward a pair of Oakley Airbrake or FlightDeck or Smith IOX Spherical with a pair of lenses for bright vs cloudy days. Maybe a clear for the odd night session.

I've read the threads here and on other forums and am leaning toward using SportRX to create an insert, but as I can't try on the goggles I'm a little concerned with fit/comfort.

Options:
    1. I take the plunge and just order a set of goggles + insert from SportRX and trust that majority of people find the airbrake/flightdeck fine?
    2. Just order an insert that may or may not fit, and then try on in Tokyo when I get there in January (risk is insert doesn't match goggle)
    3. Continue down the OTG line and hope I find comfortable pair in Tokyo?

Looking for advice or thoughts.

Bonus: Which lens or lenses do you use for your Japan skiing? Leaning toward a Prism Torch + yellow for cloudy. Or the equivalent in the Smith lineup if I go that way.

2. elSpike

For those of you playing at home. I ended up ordering prescription from prescriptioninserts.com and a pair of Oakley Airbrake XLs from Amazon (free shipping to SG!).

Will report back here once they arrive. Fingers crossed!

piolet and powderhound123 like this.
  3. elSpike

Insert and Airbrakes arrived.

As expected the prescription in the insert was correct as I just copied mine exactly from my last set of glasses.

Insert itself is robust.

as you can see it sits in the cavity of the goggle well.

I did find I had to push the insert fairly far forward to ensure there wasn’t a reflection of the insert on the lens. There is an initial feeling of “seeing” the frame of the insert but those of us who wear glasses know that after half an hour that fades away.

Best part is I can actually see further than 20m away and can read signs again.

If anyone’s interested, I’ll post again after our Shiga Trip in January.

I hope this helps someone in the future who searches the forum.

Goggles are the 2017 Oakley Airbrake XL
    Insert is the PI-003.

piolet and skifree like this.
  4. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yes please to trip report.

5. elSpike

So the verdict is these things are revolutionary. They melt into the goggle and you can just see. I more pressure points on your temples. No more fogging up (unless you intentionally breathe into your goggles) and snug hold so they don’t skew when you wiggle your goggles around to get comfy.

One note though. They may be too good at blending in. I went to swap the lens on my airbrake as the light changed and completely forgot the inserts were in there. This resulted in the insert dropping on the snow. I then slipped it into an inside pocket of my shell and mustn’t have closed it properly as it was gone the next time I checked.

Luckily insurance will pay for a replacement. Ordered and delivered already!

piolet and skifree like this.
  6. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Hi all
    I just received my goggle inserts back from Goggleman in Adelaide.
    The fit very nicely and the prescription is perfect.
    Good service from https://goggleman.com.au
    P.S I'm not affiliated in any way with this business. Just happy with the product and service.

azzski likes this.